Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? (10485 Views)

School Where Pupils Sit On Floor To Learn In Akwa Ibom (Photo) / School In Edo Where Pupils Sit On Bare Floor, Mats (Photos) / Secondary School Where Students Sit On The Floor For Classes In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by TheJPhronesis(m): 2:30pm On Mar 25, 2017
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by abumeinben(m): 2:37pm On Mar 25, 2017
1. Birds have great insulation on their feet.

2. Their two feet are on same line. So the voltage effect is felt.

3. The only way a bird gets electrocuted is if it spreads legs across on two lines. The insulation would break down due to double value of high voltage and the get would dry up immediately and become "kundi".

I hope I have convinced you but not confused you on my candid argument. If so, doxology.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by cybriz82(m): 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

That's what the theory says! Even with two hands! But the conditions are:

1. It must be the same wire not different wires.

2. The person must be floating in air ie the person's legs or other parts of the body must not touch any other thing.

Pleeeaasee again! Don't go and try it! It's better to leave it as Theory like that! grin grin grin

bat nko y do they get electrocuted.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by PrinzCarter(m): 2:40pm On Mar 25, 2017
A bird sitting on a transmission line does not complete the circuit. If the same bird keeps one leg on one line and another leg (or any part of its body) on another line(or the neutral points), then it will get roasted.in other words u can be on air n hold live wire nd u won't die cos deres no neutral point

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 2:51pm On Mar 25, 2017
cybriz82:

bat nko y do they get electrocuted.

Any bat that hangs on only one live power line either with one hand or both hands is safe!

However, if the bat hangs on one live wire with one hand and tries to hang the other hand on another different wire, the bird will be roasted alive!
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ochinex(m): 3:09pm On Mar 25, 2017
sod09:
mention...pls don't tell me about the birds that transform to human oo
yes bird are likely to be electrocuted but not with there legs.
inshort almost impossible cos the fur can't conduct electricity

Their was I day I was walking, a bird dropped dead at my front from an electric wire . Topping it all, it was dry..
Birds do get electrocuted but not all.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by sod09(m): 3:13pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ochinex:

Their was I day I was walking, a bird dropped dead at my front from an electric wire . Topping it all, it was dry..
Birds do get electrocuted but not all.
grin grin
Lmao....
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Drehilton(m): 3:14pm On Mar 25, 2017
honmusa:

I am really surprised and dismayed from the response I see from Nairalander regarding the answer to this question cos it is a reflection of inability of average science student to correctly analysis a simple scientific phenomena .I weep for future of science and technology in this country
Answers:
For current to flow between two points along a conductor ,potential difference must exist e.g Live and neutral (220v and 0v).
The bird on the sitting on the power line is touching points that have the same potential difference(same voltage) on the line so current cannot pass through it. For the bird to get electrocuted ,the other part of it body must touch lower potential part of the line eg Earth or ,neutral line .
This is a principle of potential difference .

Am really surprised you'll speak like that...it's very insultive.
Yes,you may know the answer because that's your field.you need to understand that it might not be others and that does not make them illiterate.Instead of you to simply explain in common terms that others might understand:you're displaying I.T.K
SIMPLY PUT,Birds don't get electrocuted because there is no potential difference.MEANING:Difference in energy.
Before something or someone can be electrocuted...current must pass through from a source to a conductor (which can be cable,man,anything) then to the earth.That would be a complete path for current to pass through.
1)The bird lands on the cable with its legs at the same time.If done otherwise the bird would be electrocuted...as the difference between landing with leg1 and leg2 would cause p.d
2)The bird is standing alone and it's upright,thus current cannot easily flow from down to up...that is why bats do get roasted as current tends to flow easily downwards due to gravitational force
3)The bird is standing on the same wire..it has the same flow of current with no potential difference...if it's across two wires...that is suicidal.

8 Likes

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Sammez94: 3:54pm On Mar 25, 2017
It's because those wire are high tension wire- high potential difference and low current which can't electrocute anyone but if they sit on the lines/wires that that transmit stepped down P.D with high current they ll be electrocuted.

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by dimexilux(m): 3:55pm On Mar 25, 2017
Drehilton:

Am really surprised you'll speak like that...it's very insultive.
Yes,you may know the answer because that's your field.you need to understand that it might not be others and that does not make them illiterate.Instead of you to simply explain in common terms that others might understand:you're displaying I.T.K
SIMPLY PUT,Birds don't get electrocuted because there is no potential difference.MEANING:Difference in energy.
Before something or someone can be electrocuted...current must pass through from a source to a conductor (which can be cable,man,anything) then to the earth.That would be a complete path for current to pass through.
1)The bird lands on the cable with its legs at the same time.If done otherwise the bird would be electrocuted...as the difference between landing with leg1 and leg2 would cause p.d
2)The bird is standing alone and it's upright,thus current cannot easily flow from down to up...that is why bats do get roasted as current tends to flow easily downwards due to gravitational force
3)The bird is standing on the same wire..it has the same flow of current with no potential difference...if it's across two wires...that is suicidal.
u speak intelligently. nice one

2 Likes

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by yinkeys(m): 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2017
Allwility:
I think that's because both claws perch close enough on the same wire so there's no potential difference. No potential difference means no flow of electrons and so no electric current.
However, if a part of the bird touches a second wire, the circuit becomes complete and electrocution occurs.
This is the answer. Incomplete Circuit.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Martinez19(m): 4:38pm On Mar 25, 2017
benzene00:

This is y nigeria can never move foward
Gbam.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 4:58pm On Mar 25, 2017
Drehilton:

Your number 1 and 2 are wrong. Only your number 3 is correct.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by slevin1(m): 5:12pm On Mar 25, 2017
Abeg carry this primary 1 question go Google.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by sainty2k3(m): 5:20pm On Mar 25, 2017
Let someone give me a recap, I need to try out something
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by sirfit: 5:27pm On Mar 25, 2017
To own your own networking site /ponzi site chat me up on WhatsApp 0807 912 3937 and get the script at a very affordable price....
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 25, 2017
sod09:
speak English Mr scientist ,we don't understand ur analysis

My brother, i weep for you. Smh... cry
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Tolu95(m): 5:38pm On Mar 25, 2017
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Mar 25, 2017
all of u saying birds Dont have blood in their legs .. it not true .. there are two major reasons why they Dont get electrocuted when sitting on those high tension wires
1. their legs is are covered with extremely dried layer which is clothed with calcium carbonate . n beneath their legs are layers of moist free skin..
2. if u look at a bird leg closely u will discover that dey have tiny white dots which serves as resistance to electricity
. this is my own observation oh .
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by martinsfm(m): 6:03pm On Mar 25, 2017
Their leg is coated with an insulator material... that their scale or what is it called
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Pyroclast(m): 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2017
honmusa:

I am really surprised and dismayed from the response I see from Nairalander regarding the answer to this question cos it is a reflection of inability of average science student to correctly analysis a simple scientific phenomena .I weep for future of science and technology in this country
Answers:
For current to flow between two points along a conductor ,potential difference must exist e.g Live and neutral (220v and 0v).
The bird on the sitting on the power line is touching points that have the same potential difference(same voltage) on the line so current cannot pass through it. For the bird to get electrocuted ,the other part of it body must touch lower potential part of the line eg Earth or ,neutral line .

Bros, Juz tell them say no ground/earth

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by SUPOL(m): 6:26pm On Mar 25, 2017
Allwility:
I think that's because both claws perch close enough on the same wire so there's no potential difference. No potential difference means no flow of electrons and so no electric current.
However, if a part of the bird touches a second wire, the circuit becomes complete and electrocution occurs.
does it mean I can jump and old a naked wire without being electrocuted?
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 25, 2017
sod09:
he's right, their legs doesn't have blood and it's dry

Not true bro.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 25, 2017
honmusa:

Answers:

Best answer, don't mind those kids who passed Jamb with runs
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by laribari(m): 6:53pm On Mar 25, 2017
zuby4real10:
birds legs are fully dried with out a single blood in them that's y they are not sensitive.

Baba this your answer funny ooo! If na Jamb ask this question and you talk like this, dem nor go only fail you but dem nor go release your result o grin grin grin.

Is bird not a living thing? so which living animal lack blood for any part of their body and not have that part of the body paralyzed? this your answer is epic o!

anyways, the answer is................

Birds don't get shocked when they sit on electrical wires because they are not good conductors of electricity. why Their cells and tissues do not offer electrons an easier route than the copper wire they're already traveling along.

Current flows in a loop[ which means the circuit is closed]. A bird sitting on a transmission line does not complete the circuit. However, if the same bird keeps one leg on one line and another leg (or any part of its body) on another line(or the neutral points), then it will get roasted.

It's just like positive and negative or red and black wire or technically put as live (live wire) and earth (ground).

Even ordinary birds understand this simple science and dem nor fit try am. Every animal or man knows what can kill.

ALTHOUGH YOU TRY BUT WETIN DEM FUNNY ME NA HOW YOU TALK AM.

Most birds have the ability to alter blood flow to their legs for a time and that makes it non conductor of electricity but it's not as if they do not have blood in their legs. wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2017
laribari:

Baba this your answer funny ooo! If na Jamb ask this question and you talk like this, dem nor go only fail you but dem nor go release your result o grin grin grin.

Is bird not a living thing? so which living animal lack blood for any part of their body and not have that part of the body paralyzed? this your answer is epic o!

zuby4real10:
birds legs are fully dried with out a single blood in them that's y they are not sensitive.

Lwkmd! grin grin grin grin
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by zuby4real10(m): 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2017
laribari:

anyways, the answer is................

Birds don't get shocked when they sit on electrical wires because they are not good conductors of electricity. why Their cells and tissues do not offer electrons an easier route than the copper wire they're already traveling along.

Current flows in a loop[ which means the circuit is closed]. A bird sitting on a transmission line does not complete the circuit. However, if the same bird keeps one leg on one line and another leg (or any part of its body) on another line(or the neutral points), then it will get roasted.

It's just like positive and negative or red and black wire or technically put as live (live wire) and earth (ground).

Even ordinary birds understand this simple science and dem nor fit try am. Every animal or man knows what can kill.

ALTHOUGH YOU TRY BUT WETIN DEM FUNNY ME NA HOW YOU TALK AM.

Most birds have the ability to alter blood flow to their legs for a time and that makes it non conductor of electricity but it's not as if they do not have blood in their legs. wink wink wink
do ur finger nails have blood? I mean if you cut ur nails did you use to see blood.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by sod09(m): 7:09pm On Mar 25, 2017
HenryDion:

My brother, i weep for you. Smh... cry
i pity ur generation
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by CaroLyner(f): 7:33pm On Mar 25, 2017
Sleekydee:

Electricity flows along the path of least resistance. Birds don't get shocked when they sit on electrical wires because they are not good conductors of electricity. Their cells and tissues do not offer electrons an easier route than the copper wire they're already traveling along.
rigght.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Allwility: 8:26pm On Mar 25, 2017
SUPOL:
does it mean I can jump and old a naked wire without being electrocuted?
Oh yes, you could still get electrocuted if the conditions are right. You see for electric current to flow, it needs a medium. This medium need not be a solid medium. An ionized gas can still serve as a medium. At high voltages, gases ionize and can serve as a veritable conductor.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:32pm On Mar 25, 2017
Idydarling:
electrical gurus, pls come and answer this efficiently, dunno what these posters above are yapping about.

Electricity flows along the line of least resistance - from a higher voltage to the lower or zero which may be neutral or earth. We have a short-circuit or open circuit when a cable is cut in which case there will be no flow of electricity across that open circuit.
If a human touches a live wire with a dry wood, he will not feel a shock. The wood serves as an open circuit between him and the current.
However, should he touch the live wire with his hands, he gets a shock and possibly electrocuted. Why ? There is a circulation of blood in his body which serves as a line of least resistance for the current. Current, like a flowing body of water, will always follow along a line of least resistance or low gradient. Electrocution means nothing more than the drying of blood in a human. As soon as he touches the wire, the earth upon which he is standing serves as the point of zero resistance with his body as the conductor (wire).
I believe very strongly that birds' claws have special insulators that protect them from electrocution.
Electricians have specially-made gloves with which they can hold a live wire without danger.
Again, if one can hold his breath and holds a domestic live wire, he remains immuned to electrocution for as long as he can so do.

Without belabouring you with the terminologies, this is my lay-man explanation as par my modest knowledge of electricity.
I hope i made some sense otherwise, there must be a better guru in the house who can do better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Student Expelled From University For Impregnating Female Lecturer / FUTMINNA Ignores ASUU, Conducts Post-Utme / Practice Likely Post Utme Questions Online Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.