Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? (10473 Views)

School Where Pupils Sit On Floor To Learn In Akwa Ibom (Photo) / School In Edo Where Pupils Sit On Bare Floor, Mats (Photos) / Secondary School Where Students Sit On The Floor For Classes In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by idris4r83(m): 5:02pm On Mar 26, 2017
Chuukwudi:

Absolutely. It won't shock you because I do it all the time. Just ensure that you don't touch more than one wire at a time.
okay, let me give it a try
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by ibolomo(m): 5:04pm On Mar 26, 2017
idris4r83:
are u telling us that if u put on a slippers n touch a live wire it will not electrocute u?
Theoretically, it will not. but because of other factors, such as moisture on the slippers, sweat on the feet, and stupidity and lack of maintenance and obedience of electrical guidelines by PHCN and electricians that connect light to our homes, trying to cut corners and reduce cost (in earthing for instance) , if you touch live wire, even with slippers, na your death certificate you sign so.
No try am ooo. even the teacher who taught us while in secondary school immediately gave a disclaimer, that we shouldn't try it

2 Likes

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 5:46pm On Mar 26, 2017
ibolomo:

I can remember that we were taught those days.
I think the voltage at which an insulator conducts electricity (where voltage exceeds internal resistance) is called threshold voltage or conductive voltage.
It's been a while tho

Excellent contribution!

You remind me of sweetness of Physics! Chai! grin

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 5:56pm On Mar 26, 2017
idris4r83:
okay, let me give it a try

Be careful ooo! Pls! grin grin grin

Theory is different from practical oooo! grin

I take God beg you! grin

2 Likes

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 5:58pm On Mar 26, 2017
ibolomo:

Theoretically, it will not. but because of other factors, such as moisture on the slippers, sweat on the feet, and stupidity and lack of maintenance and obedience of electrical guidelines by PHCN and electricians that connect light to our homes, trying to cut corners and reduce cost (in earthing for instance) , if you touch live wire, even with slippers, na your death certificate you sign so.
No try am ooo. even the teacher who taught us while in secondary school immediately gave a disclaimer, that we shouldn't try it

@bolded. This really got me laughing! grin

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 26, 2017
sod09:
i tot raven is a classification of birds
any specie of bird name raven
It is a kind.I have seen crows got killed just by perching on d high-tension wire. It kills them, they have grown to adapt but any mistake, it is death. I believe they don't have the protective skin like others.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by idris4r83(m): 9:04pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

Be careful ooo! Pls! grin grin grin

Theory is different from practical oooo! grin

I take God beg you! grin
I just tried it n I did not feel any shock. Thanks for sharing this information.

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Erums(m): 9:09pm On Mar 26, 2017
Allwility:

Yes, IMO risk assessment prevent accidents. Assessing risks thoroughly provides a rational basis for safe practices and behaviour. No it's not NEBOSH lol...it's real time experience. It's human to want to take short cuts. It's my duty to prevent you from taking it. For instance, how can one bypass a lock out tag out system or PTW system designed in such a way it stops accident even before they occur?

BRO anyone can pass it if dey want ton, cos thier willing to take the risk to achieve priority.... The tins is... Laws are just papers if nt implemented by humans, so is ptw and sop.... I dnt need a speed 80 sign to know that running above 80 might be dangerous.... Common... The papers dnt dictate human, we do... So a risk assesment might create an awareness of a risk and talk abt ways to control it, but it doesn't, human does.... U dig... Dats reality safety bro
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by EKEMIL: 9:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
Current only flows where there is potential difference.
A uniform conductor maintains its potential especially with lesser distance.
So touching that conductor without being grounded or touching any other thing of lesser potential wont do you harm.
If like that bird you can stand on that wire, nothing will happen to you.
It is not about the rubber in the leg or the ignorance of the bird, this is physics.

2 Likes

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 27, 2017
The bird will only get fried when it's standing on two lines or one of it's parts are connected to earth or any negative end....kachiko

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Drehilton(m): 1:45am On Mar 27, 2017
[quote author=geez18 post=54945004][/quote]
Oh...the intelligent One.
Mr Know All.
....But,i believe there is a difference between CORRECTION and SARCASM.
That reply was sarcastic...If you're comfortable with that,who am i to change you...MR PROFESSIONAL.
#mywaynobeyourway.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by ceedon007(m): 6:03am On Mar 27, 2017
You guys should visit ur anyakoha physics textbook.
the answer is that birds have rubber coated legs which acts as an insulator. An Insulator does not allow the flow of energy/current through it.

For eg: if u have killed a fowl before and u are removing the feathers with hot water, u will find out that the legs are rubber coated. That is the reason why the birds do not get shocked when they rest on high voltage elctric power lines.

Make ur research and thank me later.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 6:46am On Mar 27, 2017
idris4r83:
I just tried it n I did not feel any shock. Thanks for sharing this information.

Wow! I'm amazed!

Again, what is the voltage of the wire you touched? 220V or 100,000V?

This is another important factor.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 6:57am On Mar 27, 2017
ceedon007:
You guys should visit ur anyakoha physics textbook.
the answer is that birds have rubber coated legs which acts as an insulator. An Insulator does not allow the flow of energy/current through it.

For eg: if u have killed a fowl before and u are removing the feathers with hot water, u will find out that the legs are rubber coated. That is the reason why the birds do not get shocked when they rest on high voltage elctric power lines.

Make ur research and thank me later.

This is incorrect. If the bird sitting on live wire touches any nearby object, it will be roasted alive even with its "insulated" feet!
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by geez18(m): 7:16am On Mar 27, 2017
Drehilton:

Oh...the intelligent One.
Mr Know All.
....But,i believe there is a difference between CORRECTION and SARCASM.
That reply was sarcastic...If you're comfortable with that,who am i to change you...MR PROFESSIONAL.
#mywaynobeyourway.

whatever your misgivings, my point has been made. good day mister!
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by idris4r83(m): 7:18am On Mar 27, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

Wow! I'm amazed!

Again, what is the voltage of the wire you touched? 220V or 100,000V?

This is another important factor.
220v
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 2:46pm On Mar 27, 2017
idris4r83:
220v

With higher voltage, it could be dangeruos!
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by sod09(m): 3:26pm On Mar 27, 2017
Alvaropromise:
birds get furs for leg?

seriously dude
i give up,pls read my comment again B4 jumping to quote
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by idris4r83(m): 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2017
Ebookmathswaec:

With higher voltage, it could be dangeruos!
okay, thanks.

1 Like

Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by ceedon007(m): 4:52pm On Apr 29, 2017
Birds have rubber coated legs which acts as an insulator... No matter how high the voltage is, the rubber coated legs will not allow the flow of current through the body of the bird.

Note: Insulator does not allow the flow of current..
while conductors allows.

for more clarity.... visit your Physics textbook, or google.
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by Ebookmathswaec: 9:12pm On May 15, 2017
ceedon007:
Birds have rubber coated legs which acts as an insulator... No matter how high the voltage is, the rubber coated legs will not allow the flow of current through the body of the bird.

Note: Insulator does not allow the flow of current..
while conductors allows.

for more clarity.... visit your Physics textbook, or google.

You're wrong!
Re: WHY DON’T BIRDS GET ELECTROCUTED WHEN THEY SIT ON POWER LINES? by browniex: 10:42pm On May 30, 2017
zuby4real10:
birds legs are fully dried with out a single blood in them that's y they are not sensitive.
they have laminated legs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Summary Of JAMB Sweet Sixteen from Chapter 1 To Chapter 7 / Aviation College Spends N5bn To Maintain Redundant Helicopters – Rector / Student Expelled From University For Impregnating Female Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.