Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,524 members, 7,823,282 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? (4186 Views)

Poll: Bible-based or pagan?

Bible-based: 0% (0 votes)
Pagan: 100% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome / Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity / Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by segoye2(m): 11:06am On Jan 22, 2007
Are burial ceremonies bible based or pagan? can we draw from the bible if at all, 1 or 2 examples were burial ceremonies where held?

May Jehovah give us the wisdom to share our comments on this thread!
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by kobe(m): 11:16am On Jan 22, 2007
That one chooses to celebrate/honor/make known a passing doesn't have to be bible based or pagan, there could be other factors as well. Don't bifurcate.
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by segoye2(m): 11:57am On Jan 22, 2007
Huummmmm, other factors like?, worldly factors? factors that has to be with what people around us do?

please try point out few factors as you claimed !
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by kobe(m): 1:33pm On Jan 22, 2007
You know what I should have asked you at first? Is it really considered a celebration or a notification
but lets carry on
that one celebrates a passing could be done out of necessity, or want.

should a person celebrate a passing?
Should a corpse only be buried? then what? nothing? anger? hurt? sadness? celebration? rejoicing?
I'd like to think my otherpassing is noted in some way, when I otherpass because I ain't just a corpse (I ain't passing no time soon)
hopefully the otherpassing is not marked by bitterness, but with celebration of the life it was(is).

p.s. I used otherpass pun intended, It felt like I eulogized myself for a minute there lol.
read up on Christ's ascension into heaven, I'm not an avid biblicist but meh(psalm 24, & 47 might work). maybe you don't signify the death(as we call it, well we know he ain't dead but yeah you get the point) of Christ as being celebrated, maybe you consider it something else, that's absolutely fine too.
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by segoye2(m): 2:08pm On Jan 22, 2007
@ Kobesosimi,

Well, I read through your comment and was kind' lost. 

Ps. 24. The earth is the lords and the fulness thereof,
I believe this bible verses are not in line with Burial Ceremony.

Meanwhile, the lords pass-over? are you talking about (before his death)? if yes, then why don't people celebrate Burial Ceremony before the dead dies? I mean say few days before ?

The Ascention story you quoted, huuummm,  is that a burial ceremony? what happens to the story from the cross to his tomb, I believe thats the burial process we are talking about here. Another of Lazarus, Where we were told that there is nobody celebration, eating dancing but people busy crying, crying and crying for the death of Lazarus.
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by kobe(m): 2:30pm On Jan 22, 2007
If we do not have a base to establish our argument, how can we deem it right or wrong?

I'll attempt to clarify my prior post to you since you misinterpreted(the point is that we should be able to rejoice @ the ascension into heaven)
where are you getting the meal of pass-over from that's another entity though similar.

you know what they said about him ascending 3 days after death(not death death). how was it perceived is what we're dealing with here.

Maybe this'll help:
We know and believe that it is wonderful for God's people; but, this morning, remember that Jesus underwent that change too, from this life into the glory of the hereafter. For Him, who was the Son of man and the Son of God, what a reception there must have been for Him. We sang a little bit about that in Psalm 24: "Ye gates, lift your heads, the glad summons obey, ye doors everlasting, wide open the way; the King of all glory high honors await, the King of all glory shall enter in state."

"When God's saints go to heaven, princes and princesses enter into the glory of the majestic King. But here is the King Himself, the King of all kings, the Lord of all lords entering into the realm of the perfect. What a day! How the angels must have rejoiced! How Adam and Eve and Abel and Enoch and Noah and Abraham and David and Solomon must have rejoiced to see Jesus enter into heaven! No wonder, according to our passage in verse 52, they worshiped Him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy and continued in the temple praising and blessing God. This is even before the Spirit was poured out. They knew, though in a limited way, they had caught a glimpse of the wonder of the ascension of Jesus, and it awed them. The glory of heaven present now in their Savior who had departed from them was seen on their faces because it shone in their hearts through faith. He has gone into heaven. Let us not be sad. Let us rejoice! He is gone from us, but He is gone into the presence of His Father. Let us worship Him. If they could do it then, how much more can we do it now? And how much more ought we to do it, beloved? That is why we are here, and will be here again tonight and are here every Lord's day even as we said last week. We come in remembrance of the resurrection of Jesus. Let us remember, every Sunday, that we come here because He is gone up on high. We worship a heavenly Lord! "
Source: http://www.prca.org/sermons/ld18.html

Here's an other interpretation of psalm 24 from some site
"We have a King in glory! The Lord Jesus was born King. He has an eternal Kingdom that shall soon come to this earth and He shall reign upon the Throne of David forever! Hallelujah! In this brief study, we are just going to look at a few verses pertaining to our Savior. The above Psalm 24 is called the Song
of Ascension. When Jesus, Who being triumphant over death, after His resurrection, ascended into Heaven in a cloud of glory, the gates of Heaven burst open wide for the King of Glory! Christ Jesus won the victory-- He is the Lord strong and mighty in battle!"

Answer me this: Would the king of Glory want us saddened about his transformation?
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by segoye2(m): 5:51pm On Jan 22, 2007
I read through those materals, they are really cool.

Well, the question still remain is Burial Ceremony bible based? you only have the story of Ascension and Transformation. The point still remain that Burial Celebrations are not Transformation, or are they? I mean take the case of Lazarus as a case study.

Ok, maybe the example am giving here is far fetched. What about hummm, someone around us that died last year, and we are fully booked to attend his Burial Ceremony or Funeral, Is that person going through expirience transformatioin as you claimed? or Ascension?

Meanwhile the verses that quoted transformation / Ascension, were they directed to Christains to start celebrating Burial Ceremony? I mean the Main Funeral itself!
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by kobe(m): 4:25am On Jan 23, 2007
I think you sorta get the point.
Whatever happens after death is beyond my comprehension. Whether people really die is beyond my comprehension. In fact, I don't really like how that word "death" is often misused. There' are concepts of reincarnation, transformation, ascension, etc

I can't research Bible based examples beyond the samples I gave(perhaps other Biblicists can), but there are positive motives for the ceremonies. I think thats all that really matters.
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by segoye2(m): 1:07pm On Jan 23, 2007
Well, I believe there are good reasons for observing such practices but I must confess that this reasons have their deep root in the pagan doctrine.

This are doctrine inherited from Egypt. we need to watch out for the signs.
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by kobe(m): 11:59pm On Jan 23, 2007
Well, I believe there are good reasons for observing such practices but I must confess that this reasons have their deep root in the pagan doctrine.

This are doctrine inherited from Egypt. we need to watch out for the signs.
You already knew I'd ask for proof right? I hope you're kind enough to provide it.
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by satan: 12:08am On Feb 20, 2007
Pagan? then Pagan!
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by Horus(m): 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2009

Pharaoh Maiherpre (Valley of the Kings-Egypt)

Mummification, was another method for preserving the body for the voyage to the ‘Higher Life’ or ‘Next World’. These bodies are so well preserved, that mummies tombs opened today after being buried for 1,000’s of years are preserved perfectly and have full heads of hair. This mummification was used by the Black Egyptians, and became apart of their burial ritual. This process was also an alternative method to Cryogenics for preserving the body, without causing damage to the cells and tissue; However, it does not preserve the body forever, so scientist have a limited time to use the body to clone or duplicate this person for their purpose."
Re: Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? by Abuzola(m): 10:11pm On Aug 15, 2009
@poster, is christmas,christianity biblical ? The answer is No. The christian is all about innovation

(1) (Reply)

Understanding Tithing / How To Win War Without Fighting- Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa / Why Are Roman-catholics Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.