Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,022 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car (1203 Views)

My Mum Made A List Of Places Not To Marry From. / Identical Twin Sisters Die In Car Crash After Leaving Nightclub [photos] / Did I Made Mistake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by amebono1: 2:55am On Dec 23, 2009
A Sydney woman who left her toddler son locked inside a car in scorching temperatures while she went shopping has admitted making a "stupid mistake", authorities say.

The 18-month-old was rescued by shopkeepers who used a hammer to smash their way into a four-wheel drive and rescue the screaming youngster in the car park of a shopping centre at McGraths Hill in northwest Sydney on Tuesday.

The temperature inside the vehicle was estimated to be more than 60 degrees Celsius.
The boy's 34-year-old mother had been contacted by caseworkers investigating the matter, authorities said on Wednesday.

"I understand that this incident is out of character for the mother and she is very remorseful," Community Services Minister Linda Burney said in a statement issued on Wednesday.
"She knows that she's made a very stupid mistake."

Police confirm they will interview the woman, a mother of five, later on Wednesday.
Ms Burney said leaving a child locked in a car in any circumstances was against the law and parents may face fines of up to $22,000 under the Children and Young Persons Act.

Real estate agent Peter Cassidy, himself a grandfather, used a hammer to smash the Toyota's window on Tuesday.
He rescued the boy with help from nearby shop manager Colin Grinyer.

"When I first looked in there the kid, the baby, was very distressed, very distressed. There was perspiration pouring off him and he was very red in the face," Mr Cassidy told Macquarie Radio.
Mr Grinyer climbed into the vehicle to find the child still strapped to his seat.

"As soon as I picked him up out of the seat and put my arms around behind the baby's head that was just soaking wet, the seat as well," Mr Grinyer said.
The father of two said the heat inside the car would have been "well over 60 degrees".

A worker from the nearby Harvey Norman store called Macquarie Radio to say the mother was shopping in his outlet at the time and the vehicle's registration was broadcast without response.
Another caller, Irene, claiming to be a friend of the mother, said the incident was just a "terrible accident".

"She's so upset and distressed about what has happened," Irene said.
"This poor little baby is everything to her, and she would never deliberately do it."

Irene said the woman had just dropped off her other children and forgot the boy was still in the back of the car.

"It was a terrible accident that she's never going to forget, but she is the best mother I know," she said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/6617368/mum-made-mistake-leaving-son-in-car/
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by mamagee3(f): 2:57am On Dec 23, 2009
That was Carelessness. tongue
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 23, 2009
She should be jailed.What kind of mother forgets her own child.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by 28Schweet(f): 9:30am On Dec 23, 2009
grin[color=#770077][/color][i][/i] one who has one too many kids and no nanny,  one has to question her driving skills, didn't she check her review mirror,
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 9:31am On Dec 23, 2009
mistakes happen and i dont think any good mother with good intentions would leave her child in car to burn. she should be forgiven or have a lesser charge. hope the baby is ok
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by MrCrackles(m): 9:32am On Dec 23, 2009
What a monumental disgrace to motherhood and human beings in general. . .
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 9:41am On Dec 23, 2009
^^^^

sometimes it can happen even to the most careful ones. some just get got in the moment that they forget the little person in the back seat. am sure it wasnt deliberately
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 23, 2009
Sissy
why are you supporting the woman?My mum never forgot me once not because she was careful but she took her duty of child rearing seriously which most ladies now dont wanna do.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 11:02am On Dec 23, 2009
am not supporting her or her actions. what she did was very wrong and no getting around it however, all am saying is we shouldnt be very harsh/critical in judgement because she didnt purposely leave her child in the car in that soughing sun. no sane mother would. it was a very bad mistake and am sure she deeply regrets it and have learnt her hard lessons. and good thing your  mom was very careful thats what we want cool
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 23, 2009
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Fhemmmy: 3:38pm On Dec 23, 2009
chaircover:

We all make mistakes but leaving a child in a car on a scorching hot day & claiming it was a mistake is very bizarre.

How she reversed parked the car without looking in her mirrors is questionable and gives us lady drivers a bad name  embarassed

We all have our blonde hair days once in a while but the worst I’ve ever done is to drive my daughter half way to work before remembering that I should be driving in the opposite direction towards the nursery embarassed

It is very very possible.
there are some days that we all get blanked cos of so many things.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2009
^^^^^

exactly
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by ubiaa5(f): 7:38pm On Dec 23, 2009
U guys shd not be so fast to crit and blame,these things happen,i am not supporting wat she did but just saying.Thank God the baby is ok,some did not survive in d same situation.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Fhemmmy: 7:51pm On Dec 23, 2009
ubiaa5:

U guys shd not be so fast to crit and blame,these things happen,i am not supporting wat she did but just saying.Thank God the baby is ok,some did not survive in d same situation.

Well said.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by dominique(f): 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2009
maybe she wanted to get rid of the child and make it look like an accident lipsrsealed undecided
i dont trust these oyibo people, they can be very diabiolical.
just like the one that drove her kids in a car into the river and claimed some black dude kidnapped them at gun point.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 8:24pm On Dec 23, 2009
i doubt it. she has 5 kids.this isnt the first time this kind of thing is happening. sadly it does happen
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by dominique(f): 8:32pm On Dec 23, 2009
~Sissy~:

i doubt it. she has 5 kids.this isnt the first time this kind of thing is happening. sadly it does happen

opps. . .ma bad embarassed
diddnt read that part of the article
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Outstrip(f): 8:47pm On Dec 23, 2009
Unfortunately this is very possible. People tend to live on cruise control. Life is very stressful here in the west and most people have more on their plate than they need to. I used to be really critical of parents that came up in the news when things like this happen but now I can see why. I remember a guy that actually forgot his infant in the car and went to work and the baby died. It was so sad. His wife usually dropped of the baby and he had the other kids. On this day he dropped of his other kids but completely forgot the baby in the back and parked the car at work with the baby. I am sure that man will never ever forgive himself but I can also see how when you wake up in the morning and going through the motions of the day you would forget the most important thing in your life - your child
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by OAM4J: 12:47am On Dec 24, 2009
Can a woman forget her suckling child that she should not have compassion on the child of her womb?

yea, they may forget (on their off days) - says the Big book. cheesy

Happily, God did not forget the child.

God will remember you all and bring Divine helpers your way this season and in the coming year.

Merry Christmas and happy new year in advance.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by aggie80(f): 2:35pm On Dec 24, 2009
im surpriesd people think this was an accident. men and women have been known to leave thier child/children in the car beacuse they "will only take a sec" and dont want to carry the kid(s) along inside but cant leave them at home. dozens of children worldwide die every year in similar situaions
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On Dec 24, 2009
aggie80:

im surpriesd people think this was an accident. men and women have been known to leave thier child/children in the car beacuse they "will only take a sec" and dont want to carry the kid(s) along inside but cant leave them at home. dozens of children worldwide die every year in similar situaions

True that some women would do it intentionally, however, some are pure accidental
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by iice(f): 2:40pm On Dec 24, 2009
Terrible, but i've heard worse. Woman runs out of burning house and forgets kid. Kid dies. People are people regardless of their status.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Fhemmmy: 3:14pm On Dec 24, 2009
iice:

Terrible, but i've heard worse. Woman runs out of burning house and forgets kid. Kid dies. People are people regardless of their status.

That is why when you are on the plane, you will be told to fix your own gas mask before anyone else's in case of any emergency
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by slimes(m): 8:08pm On Dec 24, 2009
This mistake is beyond pardon because she intentionally locked the vehicle.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Fhemmmy: 8:32pm On Dec 24, 2009
slimes:

Have you ever been stressed that you can even remember where you are?
Have you ever been stressed, that you lost your memory?
Then, she is human and stress could do anything to human.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by slimes(m): 9:37pm On Dec 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Have you ever been stressed that you can even remember where you are?
Have you ever been stressed, that you lost your memory?
Then, she is human and stress could do anything to human.

She is human and could be stressed out but the child would've died in there.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 5:22am On Dec 25, 2009
slimes:

oh please! mistakes happen all the time.

aggie80:

and you dont know whether this is indeed an accident or not. thats why we have to give her the benefit of doubt here and assume it was an accident as the report claims. yeah many people do leave their kids in there for a few sec, but you have to also know that some who leave theirs in there, do it unintentionally.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Outstrip(f): 5:33am On Dec 25, 2009
My mom had a situation years back. She was working long shifts and one day after a 16 hour shift that ended in the morning she went home and then left again to go to her bank. She said that all she knows is that she felt fresh air when she got to the bank and got out of her car and when she looked down she saw that she had put on her blouse but forgot the bottom part. She had driven to the bank with just and under slip. I had to console her by telling her that lace was in vogue anyway.

Another one of my aunties (my moms friend) was working so hard too and during her break she ran out to do some errands. After waiting for a couple of hours and no sign of her my mom sent someone to go check to see if she was in the parking lot. My mom said basically my aunty had gone out and come back and even opened the door of the car but somewhere between getting out and turning off her head lights she fell asleep right there in the car. Door open and lights on. That is the craziness of the US. Stress can make you do crazy things.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Sissy3(f): 5:37am On Dec 25, 2009
^^^
exactly. for some stress is the culprit of this things
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Fhemmmy: 5:54am On Dec 25, 2009
slimes:

She is human and could be stressed out but the child would've died in there.

No one ever said, it was a glorious mistake . . . . . .but it was still a booboo and we thank God the kid is alive and well.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by iyapony(m): 12:23am On Dec 26, 2009
very irresponsible behavior on the mothers part. thank goodness for the good samaritans who saved the pikin, they will be rewarded.
Re: Mum Made 'mistake' Leaving Son In Car by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 26, 2009
It was an accident, I doubt any mother would deliberately leave her child to roast in a car. She may have had a lot on her mind, and simply forgot. It doesn't make her an unfit mother. There are parents who deliberately starve their children, or beat them, saying it's punishment for their child's wrong-doing.

They are the unfit parents.

"To err is human, to forgive is divine." Please, don't judge this woman based on the mistake she made.

(1) (Reply)

A Girl That Steal / U.k. Court Ups Nigerian Divorce Payout / A Friend You Have Not Heard From For A Long Time!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.