Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,383 members, 7,836,546 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Child Marriage Outside Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Marriage Outside Nigeria (428 Views)

My Wife Said No More Sex I Can Go Outside Make Kids / Lady Advises Nigerian Women To Allow Their Husbands Cheat, Have Sex Outside / Anambra State Government Releases Statement On Alleged Child Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Marriage Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
I was arguing with a colleague in the office about child marriage.

His point- body development should determine girl child marriage time.

My point- Capital NO. I asked him this question, if your daughter happen to develop fast at 14. Will u give her out in marriage?

Him- no answer.

He is a Muslim. Yesterday, he posted the article below to justify his point.

What's your take on this my people?

HE IS A MUSLIM SHAA. But a Yoruba from Lagos. Am surprised.

Child marriage chart reveals girls can wed at 12 in some parts of the US - as lawmakers battle to raise age to 16

Several states - including Massachusetts - allow children to get married 'in exceptional circumstances'

Lawmakers in America are battling to overturn some of the country's most archaic laws, which stipulate that children as young as 12 can be married.

In the state of Virginia, it is officially still legal for girls as young as 12 or 13 to be brought to a courthouse with evidence of a pregnancy and wed, a practice that has come under increased scrutiny thanks to the Virginia Senator Jill Vogel R-Fauquier.

Legislation she introduced, which is now moving through the Virginia General Assembly, seeks to raise the minimum age for marriage to 16 to bring it in line with other states - and similar moves are under way in Maryland and New York, where 3,853 minors were married between 2000 and 2010, according to State Health Department data published in the New York Times.

In Virginia itself, according to state health statistics, more than 4,500 minors were married between 2000 and 2013, including about 220 who were 15 or younger.

And a separate Statista chart plotting the minimum legal age of marriage for girls worldwide reveals that the US is one of the lowest on record, with several places - including Massachusetts - allowing girls as young as 12 to be wed with the consent of a judge.

It is matched only by Saudi Arabia and Yemen, where age of consent for marriage ranges between nine and 13 years old.

“Someone should be asking the question, ‘Well if this 13-year-old is pregnant, isn’t that evidence of statutory rape?’" Ms Vogel said. "Is that not a crime? They are truly victims in every way."

In Niger, for example, where the age of legal marriage for girls is 15, 76 per cent of girls are believed to be married before their 18th birthday.

And some countries only permit marriage among the young for certain groups.

According to the US state department's humans right report on Trinidad & Tobago from 2014, though the official marital age is 18 for men and women, Muslims and Hindus have a separate Marriage Act.

Muslims are permitted to get married at 16 for men and 12 for girls and Hindus at 18 and 14.

Source:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/child-marriage-chart-reveals-girls-can-still-get-married-at-12-in-some-parts-of-the-us-as-lawmakers-a6921246.html

Re: Child Marriage Outside Nigeria by ricki: 12:37am On Mar 27, 2017
shocked
Re: Child Marriage Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 27, 2017
sir these laws are old laws and have been reviewed
Re: Child Marriage Outside Nigeria by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 27, 2017
Evaberry:
sir these laws are old laws and have been reviewed

OK ma. Better. Cos its sickening

(1) (Reply)

Being The Sole Breadwinner Is Bad For A Man’s Health – But BETTER For A Woman’s / Wife Wants 14 Year Old Marriage Dissolved Over Excessive Sex / Ladies, What Do You Consider In A Promising Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.