Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" (1130 Views)

Minimum Wage: How Much Was Added To Your Salary In December 2019? / Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" by CareerHubAfrica: 9:19am On Mar 27, 2017
After so many job applications Dan finally got invited to a job interview. He dressed the part for the interview and walked into the interview room confidently, he was doing really well until he was asked the question “How much salary are you expecting?” He stammered and muttered an answer. Guess what? His answer was way below what the role is actually worth and he ended up losing his chances at getting that job offer.

Many candidates find themselves in the same situation as Dan when faced with this question. The salary question is one the trickiest interview questions jobseekers come across during a job interview, it is very easy to price yourself too low or too high. Therefore, it is very important that you prepare and think it through before answering this question.

Here are few tips to help you prepare for the interview question “What is your salary expectation?”

1. Do extensive research on the position before the interview. You must find out what your market value really is, what salary package you can reasonably accept and also the minimum salary you are willing to accept. Having this information beforehand will help you answer the salary question when it pops up.
2.Try avoiding the question when asked, if you haven’t at least made it to the end of the interview to see if you are fit for the job. Let the interviewer know that you would like to better understand the job responsibilities and requirements and how well you meet those needs before discussing the salary topic. Or you can answer like this – “I am sure whatever you offer will be a fair amount for a person with my qualifications and an amount that suits the role”
3. If the interviewer insists that you answer the question then give him a salary range and do not give the actual amount you are expecting. Your answer should be based on your previous research. The answer you give will also help you negotiate your salary, should you be offered the job.
4. Keep your cost of living in mind while determining how much you should be paid

Always be professional when answering the salary question and justify why you think you should receive the proposed salary (back up your answers with facts and also your qualifications and experiences).
Re: How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" by CareerHubAfrica: 9:20am On Mar 27, 2017
Have any questions with regards job interview? throw it open here and we will answer them right away!
Re: How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" by ubyways(m): 9:50am On Mar 27, 2017
Ops thanks for the piece. If I'm asked "can we meet u" what would be my respond?
Re: How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" by CareerHubAfrica: 11:00am On Mar 27, 2017
ubyways:
Ops thanks for the piece. If I'm asked "can we meet u" what would be my respond?
This is usually the first question at job interviews. It can be asked in different ways, depending on the interviewer. It can be asked this way "Can we meet you?", or "Tell me about yourself"

When an interviewer asks you this question, he or she wants to get you talking, he wants to know enough about you which will help him determine if you are a good fit for the job.

Your answer should address the following:

1. Who You Are: Your first sentence should be an introduction of who you are professionally. An overview statement that shows off who you are and gives a little sense of your personality too. Many of us make the mistake of listing all about our personal life. The interviewer does not need that much information, he only wants to know how qualified you are for the position.

2. Highlight Your Selling Points: This could be the years of experience you have in a particular industry or your area of specialization. You might also need to highlight any special training and technical skills you acquired here. Focus on the qualifications in the job description and how you meet and exceed the requirements.

3. Highlight Your Strengths: List five strengths you have that are relevant to the role you are applying for.

4. Why You Are Interested In The Position: You can conclude by indicating why you are looking for a new challenge and why you feel this role is the best next step.

I hope this answered your question.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The Interview Question "What Is Your Salary Expectation?" by frab1: 12:00pm On Mar 27, 2017
Max Donors is the latest quick and easy way to make instant cash, no waiting till the end of the month like a salary earner, all you need is 5k and within 24 HOURS, you get your cash back plus 50%,contact us by checking out my signature below.

(1) (Reply)

Work As A Teacher In Dubai.. Apply Now / Get Certified With The Best UK PMP Training In Nigeria / 4 Highly Effective Job Search Tips For 2019 That Works

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.