Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church (766 Views)

8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- / New Age Teachings Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome. Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by KunleOshob(m): 3:39pm On Dec 23, 2009
[size=16pt]Luke 6:46:
46 “So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? [/size] [Directed to the "church" and it's leadership]

Concerning the contradiction between the pursuits of wealth and serving God: ·
“No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” (Matthew 6:24) "mammon" = mammonas, pronounced mam-mo-nas', of Aramaic origin (confidence, i.e. wealth, personified); mammonas, i.e. avarice (deified).

On the danger of wealth:
· “And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24)
· “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.” (1 Timothy 6:9-11)

When asked how the rich could follow his teachings, he was very specific:
· “Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.” (Matthew 19:21)
· “Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.” (Matthew 19:21)

On conforming to the standards of society he inspired the apostles to say:· “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (Romans 12:2)

In speaking of the "scribes and the Pharisees", the forces controlling the society of his day, he pointed out striking similarities our church leaders of our modern age:
· “For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.” (Matthew 23:4-7)

On the rise of crime we see in our world, he points out the resulting apathy in society we now see:
· “And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. "iniquity" = anomia, pronounced an-om-ee'-ah; illegality, i.e. violation of law or (genitive case) wickedness: (Matthew 24:11-12)

About loving the physical pleasures of the "good life", he inspired the apostles to say:
· “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.” (1 John 2:15-16)

He inspired the apostles to warn about the teachings of those that were counter to his own:
· “If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.” (1 Timothy 6:3-5)

Concerning the world’s acceptance for following his teachings:
· “Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.” (1 John 3:13)

On the predicted rejection of truth and the acceptance of a false reality:
· “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.” (2 Timothy 4:3-4) "doctrine" = didaskalia, pronounced did-as-kal-ee'-ah; instruction (the function or the information):

He also reflected these same thoughts about the rejection of reality, as Yhovah, the God of the Old Testament:
· “Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah.” (Psalms 52:3)
· “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” (Isaiah 5:20)
· “O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.” (Psalms 4:2) "leasing" = sheqer, pronounced sheh'-ker; an untruth; by implication, a sham

Surely it cannot be denied the church especially he prosperity gospel merchants have strayed far away from the teachings of Christ.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by KunleOshob(m): 3:43pm On Dec 23, 2009
Jesus, the apostles and disciples, and the members of the church turned their back on the world and focused their attention on serving those the world had turned its back on. Although they lived in a world in upheaval with a great power dominating the region and extreme poverty all around them, they maintained a high level of hope and inner peace within their own groups and those they served.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by KunleOshob(m): 3:48pm On Dec 23, 2009
The Attitude of Jesus

In most church teachings, the ministry of Jesus was only about the road to hell and the escape path to heaven, which you can earn a pass to by going to church, much like one earns frequent-flyer miles. They teach that the ministry he brought was all about saving one's own soul, and the only responsibility his followers have was to tell others about how they could save themselves. All one has to do is go to church, pay your money, follow the rules, tell others to go to church, pay their money, and follow the rules, and you've got a good shot at a big mansion in some ethereal retirement home.
Of course, his true teachings included believing on him as the savior, and that mankind would be saved from total annihilation, but the core of his message was love. But, not just love in the expression or feeling, but the action; not just for him and the Father who sent him, but love for all mankind. This was the core of his very existence, the reason he took the form of a human, and the purpose of all the laws and prophecies ever given. He was clearly challenged on what was the most important edict humans should follow and his answer was clear. · "Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:35-40)
This concept is repeated throughout his ministry, in virtually every action he took or lesson he taught, and was at the center of all the teachings and actions of the first church Jesus established on the Day of Pentecost. Social service in our modern society very rarely goes beyond the occasional donation to a popular cause currently grabbing the headlines. This is not to say that there are not many in the world who genuinely make great efforts to serve the poor, but they are a distinct minority.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by KunleOshob(m): 10:10am On Dec 24, 2009
I am suprised my church/ pastor apollgist friends are yet to comment on this thread, i guess in the face of infallible scripture they had to hide their tails between their legs and scamper grin As i have always said true christianity is not an easy walk unlike what these prosperity gsopel merchants try to delude the simple minded, many of whom abound in our churches and on this forum. Another food for thought:

Matthew 23:13:

13 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites![false preachers] For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either.

Matthew 24:9-14:

9 “Then you will be arrested, persecuted, and killed. You will be hated all over the world because you are my followers. 10 And many will turn away from me and betray and hate each other. 11 And many false prophets will appear and will deceive many people. 12 Sin will be rampant everywhere, and the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And the Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world, so that all nations will hear it; and then the end will come.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 11:55am On Dec 24, 2009
KunleOshob:
I am suprised my church/ pastor apollgist friends are yet to comment on this thread

I Know my brother has been expecting me to say something hence the reference in the quote, i laugh in Aramaic, however i will, but to xpose to you how immature/irrational and sentimental your understanding of the Scriptures and teachings of Christ could be.

Kunle pls permit me to say that all you wrote up there are nothing but Elementary teachings of Christ and realities we have heard time and time again that I teach to new babes in the ministry. Therefore let me start by teaching you what you think you know but do not.

Heb 6:1 - "Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God " (NIV)

1. The scriptural passage you quoted up there was quoted out of context, for you failed either by omission or commission to quote that what Jesus meant in that scriptures was that it was evil for one to have have emotional love and attachment for Money. Am glad you used Aramaic in your description, so let me do the same. The Aramaic rendering of that passage meant [u] we should not have agaloo for Mammone and the same time for YHWH for no one has ever been successful trying to love 'em both. That simply meant that it was no evil not to have riches but it was evil if we do so with our agaloo ( for agaloo had to do with loving with one's mind, strength, might and heart).

Now concerning weath/ Riches here's what Jesus said

Luke 16:9 - "And Jesus said: I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings. NIV  wink wink
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 12:02pm On Dec 24, 2009
2. On the danger of wealth: I can still say something rather i choose not to but leave you to your understanding. Am glad the scriptures you quoted also said something like "The Love of Money" which is the same thing i have explained up here as "agaloo ab' mammone"

And Mr.Kunle firstly do you believe that the scripture is one, and that the same spirit that inspired Wise princes of the ancients was the same spirit that inspired Apostles of the latter (2Tim.3:16). If you do, then let me say that the money you are condemning as evil is what the bible says as

- Money is a defense ( Eccl.7:12)

- Money is the answer for everything ( Eccl.10:19)

But like i said, money and wealth doesnt rep. evil, but the emotional love (agaloo) for money is what breeds evil

- For the love (agaloo) for money is the root of all evil (1tim.6:10)

Recall Paul didnt teach money to be the root of all evil, but the rather THE LOVE for money. Most times i wonder if you really search scriptures insightfully before coming to NL to confuse people, because someone reading those references of yours without firm knowledge of scriptures will hastily agree to your notions whilst wrong. angry angry cheesy cheesy
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 12:07pm On Dec 24, 2009
On the teaching of How the rich could follow Him

1 Tim 6 (NIV)

17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.

19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

KunleOshod, if Paul attested to teaching as the Lord Jesus commanded, therefore wont i be wiser to ask why didnt Paul teach the christians in his time to part away with their belongings. So you see, again you quoted that scriptures out of context because many atimes it was recorded that the folks in Jesus' time asked him questions not because they wanted to learn but to test him and Jesus knowing their heart always came up with different strokes for different folks. There is nothing wrong as to having riches and wealth but there is everything wrong in holgind severe greed as to parting away with your riches and wealth. No wonder Paul taught His folks to be generous and willing to share as against your understanding as to totally part away with it.hmmmm
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by AKO1(m): 12:19pm On Dec 24, 2009
Both of you are very correct tongue
Its funny how Tonye-t focused only on the money part and nothing else.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 12:27pm On Dec 24, 2009
In speaking of the "scribes and the Pharisees", the forces controlling the society of his day, he pointed out striking similarities our church leaders of our modern age

Let me also remind you of what the same Jesus christ taught

Matt 5: 20[b]For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law,
you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven
[/b]

Do you also know that in the pretext of this scripture, Jesus was teaching of the value of His Father's word ( God's commandments ) and noted how that the Pharisees and scribes were so conscious of keeping God's commands. Therefore he warned the disciple ( You and Me) that inorder to experience the glory of His Father's kingdom we need to be more conscious in keeping this same God's commands . wink wink
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 12:28pm On Dec 24, 2009
A_K_O:

I was still typing more before you posted. wink wink wink

Compliments of the season Mr.Moderator
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by ttalks(m): 12:31pm On Dec 24, 2009
A_K_O:

^^^^ heheheheh  grin

Tonye-T, it's very plain to see that u can't decipher points being driven and that is because of ur bias against Kunle.
How come u could not see from his posts that he was not condemning wealth or money possession but the desire and greed for it which is evident in the teachings of most prosperity peddlers?  undecided
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 12:35pm On Dec 24, 2009
On the rise of crime we see in our world

KunleOshod, will it be rational to equate the rise in crime rate to the proliferation of false teachers.? aint that parallel. i dont want to speak much, howbeit if you do mind, call me back. k? wink wink
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2009
ttalks:

Tonye-T, it's very plain to see that u can't decipher points being driven and that is because of your bias against Kunle.
How come u could not see from his posts that he was not condemning wealth or money possession but the desire and greed for it which is evident in the teachings of most prosperity peddlers? undecided

Sometimes i really wonder if ur posts were written out of hunger or something. i mean u were even rephrasing my points here. making me feel you're learning faster already. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by AKO1(m): 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2009
^ ^ ^
Lolest grin

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the conclusion of the matter.

Tonye-t:

Compliments of the season Mr.Moderator

Same to you smiley
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by ttalks(m): 1:44pm On Dec 24, 2009
Tonye-t:

Sometimes i really wonder if your posts were written out of hunger or something. i mean u were even rephrasing my points here. making me feel you're learning faster already. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Which still emphasizes the point i was making above.
All the stuff u wrote have been expressly communicated by Kunle.
You couldn't see that cos u feel he is against anything money/wealth.
You just rehashed everything he said but with the twist included to make it look like he didn't.
That's horribly low. Even for u.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by Tonyet1(m): 2:06pm On Dec 24, 2009
TtalksgatmelaffinginmozambiqueandrollingonthefloorlikeazuluwhenwillmyfriendslearntoapproachscriptureswithoutsentimentandirrationalmindsetwelllikeA_K_Osaidisecondtosaymatterconcluded wink wink wink
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by AKO1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 24, 2009
^ ^
Did they still your spacebar? tongue wink
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by KunleOshob(m): 2:37pm On Dec 24, 2009
@tonye-t
I am not suprised you are quoting me out of context and twisting my poats. For someone who has no qualms about twisting the word of God, I am not suprised you would gleefully twist my submissionms.
Re: The Teachings Of Jesus And The Realities Of The Church by KunleOshob(m): 2:58pm On Dec 24, 2009
A_K_O:

That i becos tonye-t is an apsotle of the false and heretical prosperity gospel.

@All
Kindly note that i have not written or preached against being wealthy or being rich as tonye-t as tried to mis-represent me, what the scriptures is trying to say here is that we should not focus on accquisition of material wealth at the detriment of serving God. In this context serving God actually means using our material wealth to help the poor and needy.

(1) (Reply)

Introducing The Galactic Federation To Nigerians / A Pastor Raised From The Dead Video - True Story Of Hell / 2 Words In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.