Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,341 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O (678 Views)

Nigerian man held in India for duping a woman on pretext of marriage / Nigerian Man Arrested In India For Duping A Doctor (Photos) / EFCC Arrest Fraudster Who Built A Hotel After Duping A Lady Via Fake Dollar Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by rapcy(m): 8:48am On Mar 28, 2017

A 36-year-old Nigerian national and his accomplice, were arrested on Monday, March 20, from Sriniwaspuri in Delhi for cheating a woman of over
Rs 9 lakh.Hilary Nnamdi Okoli and 34-year-old Reena Basumatari were arraigned in a Gurgaon court on Tuesday and taken on four days' police custody.

According to Times Of India, in the first week of February, Mr Okoli met Pooja (name changed), an engineer working with a reputable company in DLF-3, on a matrimonial site where he posed as a prospective groom. He introduced himself as Jeff Dennis, an engineer settled in the UK.
As Pooja found Okoli's 'profile' interesting, they exchanged phone numbers. Soon they started interacting through WhatsApp calls. Both shared information about their family background. She asked Okoli to visit India and meet her parents, to which he gave his consent.

On Feb 28, Pooja received a call from Okoli informing her that he had reached Mumbai. Minutes later, Pooja's phone rang and this time it was from a man, who claimed to be from the customs department, informing Pooja that Okoli had been detained as he was carrying 45,000 pounds (Rs 37 lakh approx) in cash. He asked her to deposit Rs 42,000 as penalty after which Okoli would be released and given 5% of the total amount in cash, the rest would be credited to her bank acccounts.

After depositing the amount, Pooja received another call informing her that as Okoli was given 5% of the amount in cash he told them that he needed more cash as he wanted to buy gifts and jewellery for Pooja. She asked the 'official' for a solution that would ensure that Okoli got more cash in hand. Pooja ended up depositing Rs 9,45,700 through 12 online transactions into 10 different accounts.

"After depositing Rs 9,45,700, I received a mail that the money (pending amr from Rs 36,59,884) will be credit to my account only after I upgrade my account, for which I was asked to deposit Rs 32,25,000. I got suspicious and contacted my bank. The branch manager informed me that I had been duped. When I tried calling Jeff, his number was switched off.

More at:
http://www.dizboy.com/2017/03/nigerian-man-nabbed-in-india-for-duping.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by HungerBAD: 8:48am On Mar 28, 2017
Sad.

A day or two ago, a Nigerian was attacked in India brutally.

And yet, the Nigerians in South Africa,Malaysia and India will not respect themselves, and they keep wondering why they get attacked a lot.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by SuperSuave(m): 8:53am On Mar 28, 2017
NCAN, over to you grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by pat1612(m): 8:53am On Mar 28, 2017
grin
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by loomer: 8:54am On Mar 28, 2017
Even my 7 year old niece no fit mumu like this.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by sekundosekundo: 8:58am On Mar 28, 2017
All the evils Indians are doing in Nigeria, our bloggers don't publish them but they will publish the ones Nigerians are doing there.
This woman is a fool while the guy is crook.
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by blessme2019(m): 9:04am On Mar 28, 2017
As of time of filing this report, calls to the Chief Press Secretary of NCAN was unanswered.
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by rusher14: 9:08am On Mar 28, 2017
loomer:
Even my 7 year old niece no fit mumu like this.

Gerrout.

I know your type. Always ready to pounce on the victim whilst exonerating the culprits.

Love comes in many shapes and is easily the most accessible way to defraud.

You should be more concerned about the pariah nation we are becoming due to the high level of crimes purportedly carried out by our countrymen.
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by adorablepepple(f): 9:14am On Mar 28, 2017
Nnamdi okoli you say?
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by loomer: 9:14am On Mar 28, 2017
rusher14:

Gerrout.

I know your type. Always ready to pounce on the victim whilst exonerating the culprits.

Love comes in many shapes and is easily the most accessible way to defraud.

You should be more concerned about the pariah nation we are becoming due to the high level of crimes purportedly carried out by our countrymen.

Na u sabi. Me don talk my own.

She love am nai she no go where dem detain d man or go wait for airport.

Na because she hear say dem go send money to her account nai she mumu send first
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by CplusJason: 9:20am On Mar 28, 2017
Hillary NNAMDI Okoli

VERIFIED ☆☆☆

You know what i mean baby.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by rapcy(m): 6:11pm On Mar 28, 2017
adorablepepple:
Nnamdi okoli you say?
yep
Re: Nigerian Man Nabbed In India For Duping A Woman By Posing As Prospective Groom O by Monkeydeychop: 1:02am On Mar 29, 2017
These people are hell bent on giving Nigeria a disgusting name before they get their Biafra!

(1) (Reply)

How Nigerians Are Butchered In The Land Of The Slant Eye Monkeys. / Heavy Fighting And Robbery Along Idi Oro And Olosha / SS2 Student Expelled For Sleeping With Her Classmate's Dad And Teacher's Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.