Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Breastfeeding Mothers who wants to Increase Breast Milk Production.. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Breastfeeding Mothers who wants to Increase Breast Milk Production.. (2328 Views)

Diet For Breastfeeding Mothers / Photo Of A Mother Smoking And Breastfeeding Her Baby At The Same Time / Weaning Tips For Breastfeeding Mothers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breastfeeding Mothers who wants to Increase Breast Milk Production.. by hlthiswlth: 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2017
Hello

Mothers who wish to build their milk supplies may consider using Fenugreek. Fenugreek is a herb that has long been used by healers as medicine, and as a galactogogue (to boost milk supply). Historically, fenugreek is a herb, trigonella foenum-graecum L, and is grown in various countries around the world including Argentina, France, India, and North Africa, and in the Mediterranean countries. The dried ripe seed of the plant is used, with one active ingredient being diosgenin.

For some women, breastfeeding is a breeze, but for many others, breastfeeding is hard (like, really hard). I know that it was for me (says a breastfeeding mother), especially because I had an incredibly low milk supply, and couldn’t fully nourish twin babies with breast milk alone. I had to supplement with formula, but I wanted to make sure they were still getting as much of my healthy milk as I could provide. At the time, I remember drinking a lot of Mother’s Milk Tea, which contains fenugreek, an herb that is believed to boost milk production. It’s hard to say whether it helped, but I do know that in those weeks that I was taking it, yes, my supply did go up a little bit. Is it right for everyone though? I did some digging…

How does fenugreek work?

“Fenugreek contains hormones (phytoestrogens) that lead to a boost of prolactin, which is the hormone that triggers milk production,” says Mairi Breen Rothman, CNM, MSN a certified midwife in Takoma Park, MD. “Also, the breast is thought to be a modified sweat gland, and one of the effects of fenugreek is that it increases sweat production, which may be how it stimulates lactation as well.” While it can stimulate breast milk production in women looking to boost their supply, it’s very mild and won’t really help if you have a true breast milk supply issue.

How should you take fenugreek?

One should get Fenugreek Powder enough for the whole breastfeeding period. Fenugreek should be taken in its powder form as tea or food additive or with pap or any thing eatable. Most women take it as tea or food additive by adding 2 - 3 teaspoon twice a day.

How long does it take for fenugreek to work?

You may notice an increase in your breast milk supply in as little as three days, but it can take up to two weeks to work, says Rothman. To know if your baby is getting enough to eat, she suggests that you count the wet diapers. If your baby has 6 to 8 wet diapers a day, is content after feeding, and has period of time where she is awake and alert, without being fussy, then she is likely well-nourished. On the flip side, a baby who is not getting enough to eat will be crying constantly, even at the breast, will only sleep short periods of time, and won’t be very alert or responsive.

(1) (Reply)

UPDATED Price List For Agro/cosmetics Products - Gabdeland Agro / Acne / C24/7 Wonders In Your Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.