Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Lie To Me, Dan (novel Review) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lie To Me, Dan (novel Review) (534 Views)

SURVIVORS (a Novel) / Nora Robert, Dan Brown, John Grisham, Novels / Lola Akande's New Novel Exposes Nigerian University Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lie To Me, Dan (novel Review) by Nerddict(m): 10:56am On Mar 29, 2017
A romantic novel is a pillar stone of literature. Being narrated in the same pattern, Lie to me Dan gives you another preference on how you will listen to a different kind of story, with an easily relatable University culture.
Let’s start with the plot. Well, the story’s setting is in a fictional University in Africa. As an avid reader, I am much used to reading novels that are based on an American or English setting, so this story will unfold a new a new culture for me (from the viewpoint of a reader). Wetten clearly describe each scenes that are easily relatable to the life of a university student in Africa. I particularly loved the way the novel characters talked in Pidgin English which while not unfamiliar with me, it isn’t something I am used to seeing in a novel. However, when I read each lines, I could not help but be both enthralled and amused at how genius Wetten is.
The story is about a 300 level psychology student, Marylyn Zhasa. She is a typical college girl, except for a fact that she is not interested in boys especially not Daniel Kazeh also known as D-man (which interestingly is pronounced as Demon). Unlike in American novels, the two main characters’ love story is a bit complicated and interesting. First, D-man can’t approach Marylyn in a way male protagonists approach a woman in an American novels. I find it particularly romantic, Dan being knocked out of his game and having to ditch his usual “move” and proceed slowly while of course respecting Marylyn’s privacy. He even “asked” for the help of one of their common “friend” Esse. Having a bad boy reputation, I cannot blame Marylyn for not having any interest in D-man or Dan.
Speaking of Esse, I love her persuasive character particularly when it came to convincing her professor on giving her a high grade. This part of the novel touches on the trend of corruptible lecturers and professors that don seats of academic power in African universities as well as how students manipulate their way around or fall prey to these power wielding individuals’ injustices.
Wetten also focused on Cultism, the novel starts quite face paced in what I assume to be a cultist clash and retribution and down the line Wetten touched on the subject again, highlighting Yvonne’s boyfriend Nelson who is quite overprotective to her to the point of choking. Cultism remains a big issue in the African culture and as Wetten implies in his story, we can conclude that cultism is a much more preeminent problem in the African academic system particularly in the higher institutions.
Wetten has quite the unique, interesting style of writing and telling of the story. However, I feel some of the scenes were cut short, which makes you crave for more or sometimes seems to disconnect you from the main characters. However, the back and forth kind of makes for an intriguing reading making you want to read what happens next and essentially making the book undroppable.
Like earlier mentioned, I found it hard to connect with the characters, probably because of the style of the author. His description of each character is very technical to a point where at times you can’t seem to relate to how the characters feel in each situation. I find it relatively unclear if hatred is the only emotion Marylyn feels for Dan. I don’t know how scared Dan is when Nelson caught him with Yvonne. The story is very well detailed but lacks feeling.
Also, there are a lot of characters that had an open endings in each chapters making you forget all about them in the succeeding chapters. It would be better if the author give one or two minor characters that can really affect the growth of the relationship of Marylyn and Dan. I felt that he could have done more to relate the different characters a lot more to each other and not keep them isolated.
Lie to me Dan, is a recommendable story, since it is not just about romance but it also gives you an element of intrigue and surprise that makes you turn each page. The issue I really had was the connection of the characters to the readers. Wetten is very detailed in describing each scenes in the story. It is generally a great read for novel lovers and aspiring writers since it offers a different style of telling a love story, and not just limited to being a love story, it is also mixed with suspense with each of the characters having a story to tell.
As an avid reader, Wetten’s work serves as an eye opener as it opens another door to a different world. A world that majority chooses to ignore. Wetten, brilliantly introduced readers into the culture of African Universities. Unlike the American culture depicted in romance novels, African culture is much more mysterious, and more challenging. It makes you feel frustrated because the characters seem to be very cautious in every move they make. I also have the feeling that the characters respect the culture of one other. These things are not present in American novels that I am used to reading.
So, if you love to read about a very well detailed story that that entertainingly touches on important issues, I recommend Lie to me, Dan. The author, Wetten did an amazing job in creating this masterpiece. It is a mixture of suspense, mystery, romance and a bit of action all in a relatable African university setting.

(1) (Reply)

A Yoruba Girl Lost In Translation: The University Debate / My Nigerian Star: Ndarabi Familola Fatima / Summer Creative Writing Workshops For Children And Teenagers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.