Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,539 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins (2790 Views)

Couple Name Their Twins ‘Corona’ And ‘Covid’ In India / Korean Lady Known As Mama Adaobi Having A Great Time In Her Husband’s Village / What Weird/freaky Thing(s) Have You Noticed About Twins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 11:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
1. Identical Twins Have Different Fingerprints

Many people may believe that since identical twins
share similar DNA that they also have nearly
identical fingerprints. DNA, however, is not the sole
factor regarding the individual design of each set of
fingerprints. During conception, identical twins
actually start out with the exact same fingerprints,
but sometime between weeks 6 and 13 these
specific traits begin to develop individually. When
each of the babies begins to move, they start
touching things around them, including the amniotic
sac. This is what causes unique lines and ridges to
be formed on each of the twin’s fingers. Other
factors that may also contribute to differing
fingerprints include hormones and the position of
each baby in the womb. The result is a unique set of
fingerprints.

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by ReneeNuttall(f): 11:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
Am so loving this.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by MJBOLT: 11:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by Wondermumsy(f): 4:52am On Apr 01, 2017
Space booked
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 4:52am On Apr 02, 2017
2. Twins Can Actually Be Conceived by Different Fathers
If a woman has se.x with more than one man when she is ovulating what is called Heteropaternal superfecundation may occur. The sper.m from two different men can fertilize separate eggs, which result in twins. Sper.m can remain alive and active in a woman’s reproductive tract for several days after se.x has taken place. Even though it’s possible, this phenomenon rarely occurs in humans. It is, however, quite common in cats and dogs.

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 2:09pm On Apr 05, 2017
hmmm
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by sisisioge: 6:01pm On Apr 05, 2017
OP, u on serious! You said 12 facts, are we supposed to be coming weekly for update of each fact? 12 weeks is enough for pregnancy to start showing mehn!

5 Likes

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by Aremu01(m): 8:46pm On Apr 05, 2017
Sips kunu
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by teemy(m): 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2017
sisisioge:
OP, u on serious! You said 12 facts, are we supposed to be coming weekly for update of each fact? 12 weeks is enough for pregnancy to start showing mehn!
lolz. oya stainlink abeg come and do the needful.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 8:37am On Apr 06, 2017
teemy:
lolz. oya stainlink abeg come and do the needful.
Sorry o, I will do some updates soon. Those admin banned me for using the word se.x in this post

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 8:43am On Apr 06, 2017
3. Twins Can Also Be Different Races If the parents of the twins are of mixed race, then their eggs or sperm contain genetic material for both races. If the parent is half white and half black the twins can sometimes be born with different skin colors. This is extremely rare, however, and is considered a one in a million combination of the parents’ genes. It should be interesting to note, however, that as the rise of mixed race couples continues to grow, as well as fertility treatments that raise the odds of having twins, we may see an increase in the number of twins that are of different races.

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 8:45am On Apr 06, 2017
4. Mirror Image Twins are Twins that are the Exact Reflections of One Another
It’s estimated that approximately 25 percent of
identical twins will develop in the womb while
directly facing each other. These types of twins are
called monozygotic. This often occurs when the
fertilized egg splits later than when it usually does
for identical twins. This means they will become
exact reflections. If one has a birthmark on the right
cheek, the other will have the same birthmark on
their left cheek. If one is left-handed, the other will
be right-handed

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by teemy(m): 8:46am On Apr 06, 2017
stainlink:

Sorry o, I will do some updates soon. Those admin banned me for using the word se.x in this post
sex has been uncensored for a while now. must be something else except otherwise stated
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 8:50am On Apr 06, 2017
teemy:
sex has been uncensored for a while now. must be something else except otherwise stated
If so then I wonder why I was banned for almost 48 hours.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 8:56am On Apr 06, 2017
sisisioge:
I thought is was a monthly thing o. OK no vex. I also thought that I had the right to post when ever I please not knowing I am under obligations to do so.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by sisisioge: 9:05am On Apr 06, 2017
stainlink:

I thought is was a monthly thing o. OK no vex. I also thought that I had the right to post when ever I please not knowing I am under obligations to do so.

No vex boss...was just poking your ribs. Your topic actually spurred me to get those facts on Google when waiting became too long...after all, we are Nigerians wink Enjoy dude.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by teemy(m): 9:25am On Apr 06, 2017
stainlink:

If so then I wonder why I was banned for almost 48 hours.
i noticed people getting banned without knowing why. normally the reason should be on the profile page but it is usually overlooked.

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 8:32pm On Apr 06, 2017
5. Can Identical Twins be Both Cousins and Siblings? – Yes!
If male identical twins marry and have children with
females that are also identical twins, their kids will
be both cousins and full siblings. This may sound
confusing, but the fact is that children born from
their pairings will be legal cousins and genetic full
siblings. Two children are considered genetic
siblings if the new chromosomes that each child
receives come from the same genetic pool.

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by stainlink(m): 6:38pm On Apr 07, 2017
6. It’s Nearly Twice as Common for Twins to be Left-Handed than Single Individuals
Why most people become either right or left-handed
is still pretty much up for debate among
scientists. There are some interesting statistics
among twins, however, that shed some light on this
subject. Left-handedness occurs in only about 10
percent of the overall population. Amazingly, being
left-handed occurs at a much higher rate in twins.
This may be due, at least in part, to the fact that
about 25 percent of all twins are mirror twins and
that mirror image twins are exact reflections of one
another as discussed previously. This means that
for every set of mirror image twins one of them will
be left-handed.

Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by bukatyne(f): 2:14pm On Sep 02, 2018
stainlink:
6. It’s Nearly Twice as Common for Twins to be Left-Handed than Single Individuals
Why most people become either right or left-handed
is still pretty much up for debate among
scientists. There are some interesting statistics
among twins, however, that shed some light on this
subject. Left-handedness occurs in only about 10
percent of the overall population. Amazingly, being
left-handed occurs at a much higher rate in twins.
This may be due, at least in part, to the fact that
about 25 percent of all twins are mirror twins and
that mirror image twins are exact reflections of one
another as discussed previously. This means that
for every set of mirror image twins one of them will
be left-handed.

Where are the six points left?
Re: 12 Amazing Facts You May Not Have Known About Twins by darlenese(f): 4:33pm On Sep 02, 2018
ok

(1) (Reply)

Kids Toys And Automatic Gears, Come On In / Pulled / Would U Enjoy Being An Only Child, Only Male Or Female In Your Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.