Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement (13752 Views)

FIRS' 6% Stamp Duty Charge On Agreement. How It Affects You As Landlord/tenant / I Was Wrongly Advised On A Rent, Kindly Advice Me. / Five Things You Need To Know When Building A New Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 03, 2017
Finding an affordable property to rent/lease can be a real nightmare. Sometimes the stress of checking one property after another, perhaps for months, begins to culminate in a desperation—an eagerness to grab the first one that meets our criteria. When eventually, we find a suitable one, we are often in such a hurry to move in that we do not take time to read and fully understand the terms and conditions contained therein or even insist long enough to have clauses that will favour us inserted into the agreement for fear of losing to other ‘faster’ bidders.
This negligence of the part of tenants can often end up leaving enough room for minor mistakes that can sometimes become so costly we’d wish we never leased/ rented a piece of real estate in the first place. So before you sign that rental documents, keep your eyes peel on:

1. Renovations
Before you quickly begin to renovate and fix the place to suite your taste, be sure to look
at what the agreement says concerning renovation. If the landlord says you are free to renovate the place, be sure you get this in writing in the rental agreement. Otherwise, you may end up bearing the financial burden of restoring the place to its original condition when it’s time to move. You sure don’t want to part with multiples of hundreds of thousands of Naira just because you didn’t pay attention.

2. Rent and utilities
Some apartment complexes may include some utilities as part of your rent, therefore the onus lies on you to read the agreement and take note of which ones, and how much. Some landlords will include stuffs like security as part of the rent and still expect you to continue paying for it on a monthly basis afterwards. So know what you have paid for and what you will still pay for.

3. Rent renewal:
It is not hard to come across greedy landlords who can insert clauses that automatically disqualifies a tenant from keeping an apartment if their rent is not renewed in, say, three days. This is especially true when house owners are always on the lookout for tenants who are willing to pay more. Stories abound of tenants whose rent were increased by as
much as five million Naira [in this same Lagos] —right after they had spent millions renovating the place. The tenant had to move out.

4. What will make the landlord kick you out?
How do you move into an apartment without checking the agreement to find out what could earn you an eviction notice by tomorrow morning? This right here may not apply to face-me-i-face-you houses, but if you are doing a substantial sum of money to pay for an apartment, you need to have things clearly spelt out.

5. This is business, no informality
This happens frequently in low-cost housing scenarios. Landlord asks you to pay and
promises to give receipt later, without any agreement of any sort. You pay and enter
one chance. Never, I repeat, never do this, except you can transfer the money to his bank account and have receipt to show for it.

Source:
www.blog.hutbay.com/2016/09/28/five-things-to-look-out-for-in-a-rent-agreement/

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by buygala(m): 7:13am On Apr 03, 2017
Lagos and most other states have their tenancy laws....and any tenancy agreement which is in any way inconsistent with these state laws will be set aside if challenged in a law court

Irrespective what a landlord and tenant agree on as per mode of tenant's eviction, a lawful tenant is by law entitled to the lawful statutory notices to quit, depending on the type of tenancy....if a landlord messes with him while his rent is still subsisting and the legally required Notices have not been served on him, he can sue his landlord for trespass and even claim damages...

Some landlords serve a demand to pay rent on their tenants exactly 6 months to the expiration of the rent, the demand being both a demand to renew the rent as well as a notice to quit if the tenant isn't renewing the rent....This is a very proper notice...Amd after that, the yearly tenant is only entitled to another 7-days notice before the landlord can commence his lawful eviction

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by jazinogold(m): 7:13am On Apr 03, 2017
1. At first, it was Tboss, Debbie, Efe and Mavis that were up for eviction. Nothing concern Bally. Suddenly, Bisola used her power as HOH to save Efe and replace him with Bally, and at the end of the day, Bally was evicted.
#PrayerPoint
Father Lord, Every unrighteous replacement, that the enemy has planned for me, catch fire now.
2. From the first Day of this show, Everybody has been expecting Tboss to go, in fact she has been nominated for eviction more than everybody. But she survives every week.
#PrayerPoint
My father, My father disappoint the enterprise of my enemy's.
3. Some people gathered 14persons kept them in one house in SA, and some other people in Nigeria are buying fuel with their money to watch them and still vote with their money.
#PrayerPoint
My father, Anywhere they have tied our sense, on top of coconut tree or inside lagoon, I release it by fire now
Oya Everybody begin to pray.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Nobody: 7:14am On Apr 03, 2017
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by obynocute(m): 7:15am On Apr 03, 2017
good insight
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Young03(m): 7:16am On Apr 03, 2017
My prodigal landlord just came to my mind
greedy human being
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Jay542(m): 7:17am On Apr 03, 2017
jazinogold:
1. At first, it was Tboss, Debbie, Efe and Mavis that were up for eviction. Nothing concern Bally. Suddenly, Bisola used her power as HOH to save Efe and replace him with Bally, and at the end of the day, Bally was evicted.
#PrayerPoint
Father Lord, Every unrighteous replacement, that the enemy has planned for me, catch fire now.
2. From the first Day of this show, Everybody has been expecting Tboss to go, in fact she has been nominated for eviction more than everybody. But she survives every week.
#PrayerPoint
3. Some people gathered 14persons kept them in one house in SA, and some other people in Nigeria are buying fuel with their money to watch them and still vote with their money.
#PrayerPoint
My father, Anywhere they have tied our sense, on top of coconut tree or inside lagoon, I release it by fire now
Lol. Amen for 1 and 2smiley

2 Likes

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by shams040(m): 7:17am On Apr 03, 2017
My signature
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by smartty68(m): 7:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Ok. Thanks
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by edidiongmichael(m): 7:18am On Apr 03, 2017
Shea if you build your own house, you will die?

1 Like

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by SNOWCREAM(m): 7:19am On Apr 03, 2017
Me sef go be landlord for this Lagos grin

2 Likes

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by kayLion(m): 7:20am On Apr 03, 2017
nice one OP, just exactly what I need right now cos I'm about to pay for a apartment in Lagos...Thaks Bhai
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by bigcil2(m): 7:21am On Apr 03, 2017
Lol
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by enochogaga(m): 7:21am On Apr 03, 2017
jazinogold:
#PrayerPoint
#PrayerPoint
#PrayerPoint

u funny eh

1 Like

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Dclique(m): 7:22am On Apr 03, 2017
Thanks cus this days landlords b feeling lyk gods in lag. Setting traps for tenants.
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Repairnigeria(m): 7:26am On Apr 03, 2017
Good
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Dokimazo(f): 7:33am On Apr 03, 2017
This was quite helpful as am about to sign a tenancy agreement. Kudos
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Husty(m): 7:44am On Apr 03, 2017
This plot of land is not for sale! Beware of my prodigal son_Sule Akotileta omo...

Signed
Baba Sule funra e tongue
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by money121(m): 7:46am On Apr 03, 2017
Ok
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 03, 2017
LANDS FOR SALE AROUND AJAH

Oakwood Gardens: Lakowe, Ajah.
Description: 675sqm = #13.5M // 900sqm = #18M
Title: Governor's Consent

Oakwood Gardens phase 2
Description: 600sqm = #5.4M
Title: C of O

Destiny Gardens phase 1: Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #5M
Title: Government's Excision

Destiny Gardens phase 2: Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #4M
Title: Government's Excission

Legacy Gardens phase 1: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #3M

Legacy Gardens phase 2: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #3M

Oakwood Gardens phase 3: Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #5M

Paradise Gardens: FTZ Ibeju Lekki
Description: 600sqm = #3.5M

Open Heavens phase 2: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #1.7M

Diamond Estate phase 1: Off Monastery road, Sangotedo, Ajah
Description: 600sqm = #7.7M

Trinity Gardens phase 2: Eleranigbe
Description: 600sqm = #1.4M

Atlantic Bay Estate: Behind May Fair Gardens, Awoyaya.
Description: 600sqm = #4.5M

Call/WhatsApp: +2348075256644
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by jeeqaa7(m): 7:53am On Apr 03, 2017
Right
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by money121(m): 7:55am On Apr 03, 2017
Quotation for Milano design( Plain Black)

Roofing 595sqm*3,200=1,904,000

ACCESSORIES

ridges caps 95m*1900=180,500
Bash board 15m*1900=28,500
valley gutter 35m*1700=59,500
Nails 6set(30kg)*7000=42,000
Finishing kits 6set*5000=30,000
Installation 595sqm*200=119,000
Transportation/Loading=#120,000

Grand Total=2,483,500

Thanks for your Patronage..
Call/WhatsApp Ayyub on 080-85-310-359 for your Next Roofing Project..

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 03, 2017
HOT SALE IN LAGOS AT AJAH!!!

ONE PLOT OF LAND @ AJAH, DRY LAND, FENCED BOTH SIDES
DOCUMENTS: SURVEY, C OF O.

PRICE: #10M

Call/WhatsApp: +2348075256644

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by sakalisis(m): 8:05am On Apr 03, 2017
Ok
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by profemz(m): 8:16am On Apr 03, 2017
Please I need a two bedroom apartment in abeokuta preferably somewhere with stable electricity.my budget (200k-300kthanks
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 03, 2017
A four (4) bedroom fully detached duplex with all rooms ensuite and ample parking space, is up for sale.
Title: Governor's Consent
Price: #38 million

Call/WhatsApp: +2348075256644, +2347030281042

1 Share

Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by ue1406009(m): 8:52am On Apr 03, 2017
jazinogold:
#PrayerPoint
#PrayerPoint
#PrayerPoint
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Springforth: 9:20am On Apr 03, 2017
what if you have been living in a house and your landlord fails to enter into an agreement with you or issue receipts for 3 year payment
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by Nobody: 9:28am On Apr 03, 2017
Please any one know a good lawyer in nkpor obosi area in nigeria, 2 of my tenants have not paid me for nearly 3 year now i thinks it's time I evict them.
Re: Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement by khalids: 9:49am On Apr 03, 2017
Is it right for a landlord to make you sign quite notice from day one of your tenancy

(1) (2) (Reply)

BROOKLYN COURT [800k] @Ibeju-lekki..JUST DEPOSIT 4% and SPREAD OVER A YEAR / Urgently Needed - Current Market Price For Aluminium Roofing Sheet / DREAMCITY ESTATE ABRAHAM ADESANYA AJAH! BUY AND BUILD IMMEDIATELY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.