Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

How To Supervise Your Building Project. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Supervise Your Building Project. (13671 Views)

Help Needed To Supervise A Storey Building Hostel Accomodation Project At Ilorin / How To Supervise Your Building Projects / Why Soil Investigation Is Necessary For Your Building Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Supervise Your Building Project. by thirdeye(m): 12:49am On Oct 15, 2007
Summary:

(1)Know the numbers of people you require per day on site.
(2)The reputation of your contractor/professional
(3)Earmark 20% of estimate for exigencies
(4)Approve your building plan
(5)Take proper documentation of any financial dealings
(6)Go for quality not the cheapest
(7)Consider seriously the safety of your workers on site
(coolTreat your project as business
(9)Build the biggest possible size you can afford
(10)Watch out for favourable weather
(11)Storage facilities for your materials is important
(12)Pay only when the job is satisfactory however, don't cut corners because it will cost you more later.

http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/bcssupervise.htm

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by salabscholar01(m): 10:54pm On May 23, 2016
good

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by chrisbaby24(m): 6:32am On May 24, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Yusmash00: 6:33am On May 24, 2016
What if you are abroad?
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by amanikondo: 6:36am On May 24, 2016
13. Buy Calculator. You will do a lot of additions and subtractions with big numbers grin grin

10 Likes

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Nobody: 6:36am On May 24, 2016
Nice one there, after completion NA to call all artisans to jollificate for house warming cheesy. Contact for all your aluminium works. Windows, railings.doors etc. Tel:08153665659,08067079715. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Stanbeto: 6:37am On May 24, 2016
Build your house well
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by ROCKJ1(m): 6:42am On May 24, 2016
Don't put all your money into the project, reserve some for your personal use and enjoyment.

5 Likes

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by clefstone(m): 6:44am On May 24, 2016
From my experience so far building my 3 bedroom bungalow;

1. Always plan ahead: start making enquiry and budgeting for the next major phase of work way before time. For example, when I was at foundation level, I was already planning for lintel.

2. Make friends with the people building around your site especially those whose projects are similar and ahead of yours. You will learn from their mistakes and they can spot it when hoodlums attempt to vandalize your site

3. Do not accuse your workers of stealing if you don't catch them redhanded

4. Try and be around as often as possible to monitor work

5. As much as possible, ALWAYS buy materials yourself and also take them to site yourself

13 Likes

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by fippycbk(m): 6:50am On May 24, 2016
thirdeye:
Summary:

(12)Pay only when the job is satisfactory however, don't cut corners because it will cost you more later.

Bolded...some go still go for cheap commodity. Na normal grin
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by touchmark(m): 6:53am On May 24, 2016
Supervising your building project goes beyond that. You can only satisfactorily supervise what you have prior technical knowledge of.

2 Likes

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Pvin: 6:56am On May 24, 2016
learn how to bargain to cut cost and if possible, spend at list 4 hours everyday on d site to monitor how the materials for the building is used.
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by professore(m): 6:58am On May 24, 2016
What is it with point 8 always showing a man in black shade grin

Nice post though
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by saint047(m): 7:02am On May 24, 2016
Not really
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by t12tosin: 7:13am On May 24, 2016
Nice
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by ibkgab001: 7:24am On May 24, 2016
Enjoy your life with alomo and coke under big tree
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by KolaShangOne(m): 7:26am On May 24, 2016
touchmark:
Supervising your building project goes beyond that. You can only satisfactorily supervise what you have prior technical knowledge of.

Exactly. Especially when it comes to finishes.

Supervising yourself is also limited to regular builds. At the end of the day, if you don't compromise on quality, you will still end up spending same amount or more compared to if you let a honest builder handle it

1 Like

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by mujeebmuhsin: 7:35am On May 24, 2016
14. Be very selective when employing workers... Employ only the best.
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by DeRay98(m): 7:39am On May 24, 2016
Yusmash00:
What if you are abroad?
I live abroad, my elder sister is one in a million, she and her husband have built their 2 houses, she is currently supervising my 2 on going buildings in Benin, her brother in law's duplex in Lagos, our cousin's building in Akute. She has gain experience from their own buildings. She monitors everything going on on site, put the engr on his feet, accounts for every kobo spent. I couldn't have done it better by myself.
Lots of people living abroad have been victims of their own parents, siblings and other relatives back home. They collect your money, spend little on your project, embezzle the rest of use to build their own while you Labour abroad.

3 Likes

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by alacoolboy80: 8:01am On May 24, 2016
Very good insight
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by wilcox(m): 8:24am On May 24, 2016
Project management to me is all about been strict. Don't ever engage in the mistake of giving any job to an ally except you are Convinced that the person will deliver without hitches.

1 Like

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by ojuolu(m): 8:27am On May 24, 2016
12 is on point bro.
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 8:28am On May 24, 2016
I don't. Understand. This. Thread....are you supervising your building project as a. Client or as a professional supervisor in the person of a contractor because in a building project every personnel involved has a limit,..don't go dragging. Knowledge with a contractor..he will surely mess u up,.contact us for ur building projects and portable home designs @ Cjkatas consults phone no: 07061209159,..or 08039097010. Or email us @ arcjonsults @ gmail.com
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by mavtrevor(m): 8:28am On May 24, 2016
clefstone:
From my experience so far building my 3 bedroom bungalow;

1. Always plan ahead: start making enquiry and budgeting for the next major phase of work way before time. For example, when I was at foundation level, I was already planning for lintel.

2. Make friends with the people building around your site especially those whose projects are similar and ahead of yours. You will learn from their mistakes and they can spot it when hoodlums attempt to vandalize your site

3. Do not accuse your workers of stealing if you don't catch them redhanded

4. Try and be around as often as possible to monitor work

5. As much as possible, ALWAYS buy materials yourself and also take them to site yourself

I totally agree with the buy your materials yourself part most. You guys have given us some great tips about building site supervision.
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by omooba969(m): 8:36am On May 24, 2016
ibkgab001:
Enjoy your life with alomo and coke under big tree

Alomo & coke? undecided

Wot a combo? sad
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by lindyway06: 8:38am On May 24, 2016
Managing your project yourself helps but it also required the assistance of some professionals, depending on the magnitude of the project anyways
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by thirdeye(m): 8:44am On May 24, 2016
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:48am On May 24, 2016
Good points.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE BELOW FOR THE LATEST QUALITY STONE COATED ROOFING TILES & PROJECTS.
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by TenPassfour(m): 8:53am On May 24, 2016
No doubt its take experience and technical knowledge to handle building project, consider other factors involved.
First thing first, get basic knowledge and know what you want and not what they want is the key.
Stay focus and be smart.
Cheers
#TeamThinkForMe
Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by GreatManBee: 9:05am On May 24, 2016
thirdeye:
Summary:

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Nobody: 9:20am On May 24, 2016
thirdeye:
Summary:

0p......you forgotten to tell us what to do

about those to-uts, o sorry omonile

.... just curious

1 Like

Re: How To Supervise Your Building Project. by Nobody: 9:37am On May 24, 2016
sad

Okay..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eastwood Gardens Estate, Behind KICC Estate, Igando, Lekki (Pics) / Fayose Gives Two Months Ultimatum To Landlords To Provide Toilet Facilities / Construction Diary: Building a Duplex on the Rocks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.