Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (42633 Views)

Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted / Coronavirus: Oba Abdul-Ganiy Adekunle Oloogunebi Appeases Deities To Ward It Off / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by prince9851(m): 2:14pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

Don't mind them, they prefer a foreign man made god to a local man made god...later they would say buy naija to grow naija.
what abt u??
What exactly do u worship?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by fuckboys: 2:14pm On Apr 04, 2017
Spicycat:

What?, shocked if you need a girl i will advise you to impregnate a lady and pray she gives birth to a girl so that you can have "my girl" grin
grin rotflol, but you understood what i meant, anyway you could still be the one to begat " my girl " for me kiss
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by hahn(m): 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
Freedom of worship is allowed.

So is freedom of criticism
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Lilimax(f): 2:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God; I respect and reverence The Omenala Igbo. But i refuse to worship a moulded mud, molten image, ife akpuru akpu of all kinds as God.
Yes o!
Ife akpuru akpu (Moulded Mud) should not be reverend or worshiped. smiley
I respects omenala Igbo which abounds in my place NRI but I can only worship My Lord JESUS CHRIST , the God Almighty,
and the Saviour of the whole world. smiley

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by prince9851(m): 2:17pm On Apr 04, 2017
rayzornaija:
My fellow Igbos wise up. You are the very source of your own problems in Nigeria. We're here talking about our tradition and some people are talking trash about man made gods.
Look at the way the yorubas promote their culture... Even here in America a white man knows about sango, Oya, ifa, and the rest of their gods. But igbo man will be the first to kill his culture and still cry foul.

Man made gods my foot.... Can you even prove beyond every reasonable doubt that Jesus even existed?
so who is d original god of igbos?
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 2:18pm On Apr 04, 2017
hahn:

So is freedom of criticism
Na you sabi.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by farem: 2:18pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:
Enough of the Abrahamic religions(judahism,christianity and islam), for once lets try to appreciate the Gods of our forefathers.

i would be educating you all on two very prominent ones in Igbo land.

Ala/Ani/Ana (the Igbo earth goddess)

Ala (also known as Ani, Ana, Ale, and Ali in varying Igbo dialects) is the female Alusi (deity) of the earth, morality, fertility and creativity in Odinani. She is the most important Alusi in the Igbo pantheon. In Odinani, Ala rules over the underworld, and holds the deceased ancestors in her womb. Her name literally translates to 'Ground' in the Igbo language, denoting her powers over the earth and her status as the ground itself. Ala is considered the highest Alusi in the Igbo pantheon. Ala's husband is Amadioha, the sky deity.

As the goddess of morality, Ala is involved in judging human actions and is in charge of Igbo law and customs known as 'Omenala'. Taboos and crimes among Igbo communities that are against the standard of Ala are called nsọ Ala. All ground is considered 'Holy land' as it is Ala herself. With human fertility, Ala is credited for the productivity of the land. Ala's messenger and living agent on earth is the python (Igbo: éké), which is especially revered in many Igbo communities. In art, Ala is often represented as a regal figure seated on a throne, surrounded by her family. In the past, such figures took the form of life-size mud sculptures in special festive shrines dedicated to the deity and known as Mbari.

You are tired of your abrahamic ancestry-Israel. You have opted for Mogadishu origin. That's better for you.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by JideAmuGiaka: 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:

The name Chukwu was in existence ages before the white man came to Africa...He was a God worshipped by the igbos...get your facts right before commenting.

God has been in existence in Africa b4 your white men came to Africa. Take this home.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 2:22pm On Apr 04, 2017
prince9851:
what abt u??
What exactly do u worship?
The God of my forefathers

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by marshborn(m): 2:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
rayzornaija:
My fellow Igbos wise up. You are the very source of your own problems in Nigeria. We're here talking about our tradition and some people are talking trash about man made gods.
Look at the way the yorubas promote their culture... Even here in America a white man knows about sango, Oya, ifa, and the rest of their gods. But igbo man will be the first to kill his culture and still cry foul.

Man made gods my foot.... Can you even prove beyond every reasonable doubt that Jesus even existed?
Don't mind them, they have been brain washed by the whiteman.

3 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods
Nnamdi is a Jew or Christain,your question should rather be "where was Jesus/Jehovah when he was arrested?"
When good things happen,you praise foreign gods,when bad things happen,you blame your indigenous gods.. Typical of a biased brainwashed religious extremist.

P.S: No religion has the monopoly of being TRUE.
#TheOracleHasSpoken

4 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by realmindz: 2:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
My dear to be sincere you are more deluded and confused. Open your eyes and see the confusion in religion. It's my choice. So stop getting pained. It' my choice i repeat. To me Chukwu okike is God the creator. I love Jesus' teachings so i follow him. I reverence our omenala. But you see the water(mmiri), the land(ala/ani), the fire(oku), the smoke and other elementals are under my feet. Abeg no get pained.

what's my pain in your ignorance.

It's quite exciting to see people of lesser minds like you because it shows there are only a few with abilities to reason. It's a privilege seeing a multitude of your kind.

The world is a pyramid, a few who sit at the top and a majority of ignorant people below...Thats how the world roll. Majority are to be kept ignorant to keep the balance.

Ever wonder why majority follow one religion or the other dogmatically? It's because majority are meant to be fooled thinking their numbers make them right

But don't worry my friend, you and many others will never comprehend what I've written.....for ignorance is bliss...enjoy

5 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:

God has been in existence in Africa b4 your white men came to Africa. Take this home.

Leave the brainwashed fools that believes the whites brought God to Africa.. The various African traditional religions are all from God.He created them for us.
I hate stupid brainwashed religious extremist.

5 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by femolii: 2:39pm On Apr 04, 2017
Osus with their dirty deities self.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by adimek2002(m): 2:42pm On Apr 04, 2017
I carried out a research and found that earth goddess (Ani) in Anambra area were the handwork of one powerful man of old, Onoja Oboli- the godman

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by rayzornaija(m): 2:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
Ndi igbo ibem sorry! Our problem started when the supposed custodians of our tradition started exploiting our values to sell movies
People like pete Edochie... Who happens to be my uncle by the way
Kanayo O Kanayo
Chiwetalu Agwu
Patience Ozorkwo and the rest of them who portrayed our tradition as evil thereby brainwashing the younger generation
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by postmann: 2:45pm On Apr 04, 2017
maj007:
And yet they claim they are "ISRAELITES".

Jews my foot!!!!

Don't let jealousy eat you up faster than you digest knowledge.

I'm not saying the Igbos are Jews or related but going by your point of dismissal on that claim it is important to remind you that the Jews were not faithful in the worship of GOD and have worshiped many strange gods both known and unknown to foreign lands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by rayzornaija(m): 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2017
When you mention AMADIOHA... People cringe in fear
NENGO
ALUSI IYI
AJA ANA
NNE MMIRI
IKENGA.... these deities were portrayed as evil just to sell movies back in the day and even up till now
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Abagworo(m): 2:54pm On Apr 04, 2017
There is no Igbo God known as Chukwu. The Aros who are at the extreme of Igboland and comprise of families with Igbo and Ibibio roots own the Chukwu or Ubini Ukpabi deity which became popular as the Aros spread across Igboland and beyond. Chukwu bi n'Aro was not moved elsewhere but people from different ethnic groups in asouthern Nigeria often traveled on pilgrimage to consult the Chukwu at Aro. The Aros later established the Amadioha and Igwekali at Ozuzu in Etche and Umunoha in Isu.
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by scachy(m): 3:00pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Abeg, dis is nt 4 Igbos generally, cus al dose tins dnt exist in my place. We dnt no dem, dey dnt no us either. I dnt wnt 2 blive dat pple stl worship dis angry, where were dey wen NNAMDI KANU ws arrested angry. Trash dem gods
Nwanyi kwuwaa onu, osi na ya amaka ihe. grin
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Dare2Try(m): 3:04pm On Apr 04, 2017
Where are the management of Yaba left, they should and pick up their latest member here
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 3:15pm On Apr 04, 2017
222Martins:
To me, the most important diety in igbo land is Ofor na Ogu; the gods representing justice and fairness..........Ofor na Ogu has settled more land and family disputes in igbo land than the two you listed above grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Ogwu n' ofor are not gods of themselves, but totem items symbolizing justice and fairness, every Igbo man has his own ofor n' ogwu in his Obi,they were totems not gods of their own selves. A man's Of or is handed to his Oldest Son when he dies as a sign of authority in the household, and the power to dispense justice.
It is Ala or Amadioha that exacts punishment when ogwu N' Ofor are transgressed. Titled men carried the white tusk as a symbol of Ofor, to signify that they are Men of intergrity and honour.who don't cheat.
Yagazie.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by victorazy(m): 3:20pm On Apr 04, 2017
Turks:
Hammer.dioha & Thor have to be related don't you think?

Amadioha is god of thunder not hammer whielder.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by dumodust(m): 3:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:
Calm down, this is igbo mythology. That your people have destroyed relics and archaeological artifacts does not mean they never existed. It convenient to swoon over zeus, Hercules and thor with their modernized and sexualized spins, but mention genuine igbo history and you all go churchy, calling them demons.
What i care about is history, let it survive enough for my kids to truly know where they come from. In a few years, Igbo land will hypocritically be all about churches... sad

5 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by dumodust(m): 3:28pm On Apr 04, 2017
venai:
I believe in God Chukwu okike; I believe Jesus christ, the only begotten son of God my saviour; I believe in The Holy Spirit, the omnipotent power of God; I respect and reverence The Omenala Igbo. But i refuse to worship a moulded mud, molten image, ife akpuru akpu of all kinds as God.
Nobody ever said you should worship them here, just acknowledge them as part of history. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
marshborn:
Enough of the Abrahamic religions(judahism,christianity and islam), for once lets try to appreciate the Gods of our forefathers.

i would be educating you all on two very prominent ones in Igbo land.

Ala/Ani/Ana (the Igbo earth goddess)

Ala (also known as Ani, Ana, Ale, and Ali in varying Igbo dialects) is the female Alusi (deity) of the earth, morality, fertility and creativity in Odinani. She is the most important Alusi in the Igbo pantheon. In Odinani, Ala rules over the underworld, and holds the deceased ancestors in her womb. Her name literally translates to 'Ground' in the Igbo language, denoting her powers over the earth and her status as the ground itself. Ala is considered the highest Alusi in the Igbo pantheon. Ala's husband is Amadioha, the sky deity.

As the goddess of morality, Ala is involved in judging human actions and is in charge of Igbo law and customs known as 'Omenala'. Taboos and crimes among Igbo communities that are against the standard of Ala are called nsọ Ala. All ground is considered 'Holy land' as it is Ala herself. With human fertility, Ala is credited for the productivity of the land. Ala's messenger and living agent on earth is the python (Igbo: éké), which is especially revered in many Igbo communities. In art, Ala is often represented as a regal figure seated on a throne, surrounded by her family. In the past, such figures took the form of life-size mud sculptures in special festive shrines dedicated to the deity and known as Mbar

Actually igwekali is considered to be the husband of Ala,Amadioha became popular with the rise of the power and influence of the shrine in Ozuzu in etche.and igwekali is nowadays mostly known by those who have studied Odinani..
Igwe is still the word used to the heavens as opposed to the earth,if the sky don't rain ,the earth will not produce.
Amadioha his brother is more correctly described as a thunder god,a god of War and retribution. A defender of the weak and hopeless,this is what omenala teaches.
Yagazie.

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by dumodust(m): 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2017
JideAmuGiaka:
Op, you must be high on Asiwaju weed to say that Chukwu is an idol.
You are actually right...Chukwu in Igbo mythology is actually unseen and in the sky. Either Amadioha or Igwe were depicted in mouldings because they were said to be married to Ani I think. Ekwensu was the Igbo version of red loki, the god of mischief and was not necessarily the symbol of evil as predicted. He was also a god of deals and agreements.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by dumodust(m): 3:32pm On Apr 04, 2017
obiezed:

Actually igwekali is considered to be the husband of Ala,Amadioha became popular with the rise of the power and influence of the shrine in Ozuzu in etche.and igwekali is nowadays mostly known by those who have studied Odinani..
Igwe is still the word used to the heavens as opposed to the earth,if the sky don't rain ,the earth will not produce.
Amadioha his brother is more correctly described as a thunder god,a god of War and retribution. A defender of the weak and hopeless,this is what omenala teaches.
Yagazie.
Kudos, your head is there brother

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Malawian(m): 3:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
Zoharariel:
Where were these deities during the Biafran War? grin cheesy grin
"Nwaocha" prevented the Nigerian Army from Stepping foot in our town "Oraukwu"
Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by obiezed: 3:48pm On Apr 04, 2017
Abagworo:
There is no Igbo God known as Chukwu. The Aros who are at the extreme of Igboland and comprise of families with Igbo and Ibibio roots own the Chukwu or Ubini Ukpabi deity which became popular as the Aros spread across Igboland and beyond. Chukwu bi n'Aro was not moved elsewhere but people from different ethnic groups in asouthern Nigeria often traveled on pilgrimage to consult the Chukwu at Aro. The Aros later established the Amadioha and Igwekali at Ozuzu in Etche and Umunoha in Isu.
Please stop spreading misinformation by bending half truths,the worship a and belief in chukwu okike abiama spread thru out Igboland to other ethnicities. So much so,that he was regarded by all to be the all mighty creator,the great faceless formless spirit,though he is often described as male,the one belief is synonymous everywhere Igbo is spoken or understood.
That why the easiest way to get to interpret the Christian God to igbos was to use words and concepts they already understood.
Historically,the shrine existed in many communities as a dedication to him,but the main one was at Arochukwu (lLong Juju).people deferred to it as a sort of traditional Supreme Court whose judgement was final.
Also the Aros did not establish the Amadioha at Ozuzu or the Igwekali at Isu..please stop bending the truth,
Yagazie

1 Like

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by BobHIGHNESS(m): 3:50pm On Apr 04, 2017
Zoharariel:
Where were these deities during the Biafran War? grin cheesy grin
the male deities are busy "knacking" the female deities at Madagascar hotel. Are they soldiers to fight?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) by Obynolee(f): 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2017
TINALETC3:

You were probably born and brought up in Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / Warri Parables: Words Of Our Popsi's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.