Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,484 members, 7,770,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:50 AM

Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! (38209 Views)

Churchless Christianity: A Move Of God? / Is Christianity A Confused Religion Or A Religion Of Confused People? / Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Yisraylite(m): 4:09pm On Dec 27, 2009
A favorite satire that developed around him was called the "Gospel according to Marks and Silver", which said:

"In those days, Pope Leo said to the clergy: 'When Jesus the Son of Man shall come to the seat of our Majesty, say first of all, 'Friend, wherefore art Thou come hither? And if He gives you naught in silver or gold, cast Him forth into outer darkness.'"
(A History of the Popes, Dr Joseph McCabe, ibid., vol. 2, chapter on "The Age of Power"wink

It was Pope Leo X who made the most infamous and damaging statement about Christianity in the history of the Church. His declaration revealed to the world papal knowledge of the Vatican's false presentation of Jesus Christ and unashamedly exposed the puerile nature of the Christian religion. At a lavish Good Friday banquet in the Vatican in 1514, and in the company of "seven intimates" (Annales Ecclesiastici, Caesar Baronius, Folio Antwerp, 1597, tome 14), Leo made an amazing announcement that the Church has since tried hard to invalidate.

Raising a chalice of wine into the air, Pope Leo toasted:

"How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us and our predecessors."

The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi, , op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it.

Caesar (Cardinal) Baronius (1538-1607) was Vatican librarian for seven years and wrote a 12-volume history of the Church, known as Annales Ecclesiastici. He was the Church's most outstanding historian (Catholic Encyclopedia, New Edition, 1976, ii, p. 105) and his records provide vital inside information for anybody studying the rich depth of falsification in Christianity.

Cardinal Baronius, who turned down two offers to become pope in 1605, added the following comments about Pope Leo's declaration:

"The Pontiff has been accused of atheism, for he denied God and called Christ, in front of cardinals Pietro Bembo, Jovius and Iacopo Sadoleto and other intimates, 'a fable' ,  it must be corrected".
(Annales Ecclesiastici, op. cit., tomes viii and xi)

In an early edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia (Pecci ed., iii, pp. 312-314, passim), the Church devoted two-and-half pages in an attempt to nullify the most destructive statement ever made by the head of Christianity. It based the essence of its argument on the assumption that what the pope meant by "profitable" was "gainful", and "fable" was intended to mean "tradition".

Hence, confused Catholic theologians argued that what the pope really meant was,

"How well Christians have gained from this wonderful tradition of Christ".

But that isn't what he said.

It is from Christianity's own records that Pope Leo's statement became known to the world. In his diaries, Cardinal Bembo, the Pope's secretary for seven years, added that Leo:

", was known to disbelieve Christianity itself. He advanced contrary to the faith and that in condemning the Gospel, therefore he must be a heretic; he was guilty of sodomy with his chamberlains; was addicted to pleasure, luxury, idleness, ambition, unchastity and sensuality; and spent his whole days in the company of musicians and buffoons. His Infallibility's drunkenness was proverbial, he practiced incontinency as well as inebriation, and the effects of his crimes shattered the people's constitution."
(Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, ibid.)

For more visit http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican30c.htm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Horus(m): 4:26pm On Dec 27, 2009
Raising a chalice of wine into the air, Pope Leo toasted:

"How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us and our predecessors."

Even the Vatican of today know but hide the truth from us because that would be a threat to the Evil System’s economic success of the West.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 4:44pm On Dec 27, 2009
I thought the quote was:

'It has served us well, this myth of Christ'

1 Like

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 5:02pm On Dec 27, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I thought the quote was:

'It has served us well, this myth of Christ'

Same difference. Six and Half a Dozen.

What is annoying and perplexing is how enlightened and educated persons can be taken in by the myth that a fellow man is the almighty God who they must worship. And they do not see the cultic aspect of this.

Pooh.

1 Like

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 5:04pm On Dec 27, 2009
Where is Chukwudi44?

Come here now and let us discuss papal infallibility in relation to this Pope.

I am waiting.

1 Like

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 5:06pm On Dec 27, 2009
@deepsight  . .  That some pope said that is no evidence that their belief is false.

What is annoying and perplexing is how enlightened and educated persons can make such nonsensical arguments and think they are valid.

If some guy with a Phd in philosophy, or astrology, or cosmologipoof said your oneness of infinity belief was foolish would that stop u from believing it?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 5:07pm On Dec 27, 2009
Deep Sight:

Where is Chukwudi44?

I am waiting.

Don't worry about chukwudii44. I am here. deal with me  grin grin
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 5:31pm On Dec 27, 2009
Krayola:

Don't worry about chukwudii44. I am here. deal with me grin grin

Meeeeeeeeeerrry christmas, Krayola!

I cannot deal with you. You do not subscribe to papal infallibility.

I need Chukwudi44

What is this new tactic of yours of reversing my own words aginst me. . .its brilliant
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Yisraylite(m): 5:32pm On Dec 27, 2009
Later, John Bale (1495-1563) seized upon Pope Leo's confession and the subsequent Vatican admission that the pope had spoken the truth about the "fable of Christ"
and "put forward this knowledge truly"
(Annales Ecclesiastici, ibid.). Bale was an Englishman who had earlier joined the Carmelites but abandoned the order after the
Inquisition slaughtered his family (Of the Five Plagues of the Church [originally titled The Five Wounds of the Church], Count Antonio Rosmini [Catholic priest and papal
adviser], 1848, English trans. by Prof. David L. Wilhelm, Russell Square Publishing, London, 1889). He became a playwright and in 1538 developed lampooning pantomimes
to mock the pretended godliness of the Catholic Church and "parodied its rites and customs on stage" (The Complete Plays of John Bale, ed. Peter Happé, Boydell & Brewer,
Cambridge, 1985). After the public disclosure of the hollow nature of Christianity, "people were rejoicing that the papacy and the Church had come to an end" (Of the Five Plagues of the Church, op. cit.), but later Christian historians acrimoniously referred to the popular theatrical production as "that abominable satire", dishonestly claiming that it was the origin of Pope Leo's frank admission (De Antiqua Ecclesiae Disciplina, Bishop Louis Dupin [Catholic historian], Paris folio, 1686).
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 5:37pm On Dec 27, 2009
Yisraslite

What are u critiquing? the Institution, or the faith of the individual Christian?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2009
Yisraylite. . .what is your position please? I have been reading your interesting views. Are you a Jew (Judaist)?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 5:48pm On Dec 27, 2009
Question is:  Did Pope Leo make that statement ex-cathedra or not?  That will determine the validity of it. lol!

Pope Leo was probably referring, not to christianity serving the catholic church and it's clergy but, to his family that made an incredible fortune from the Church.  You all might have heard of the Medici.  They were a banking family from Florence and they were the Papal bankers for many decades meaning that any money that the church made, they made a cut of it.  Imagine all those tithes from all across western europe.  
The Medici were by far the richest family in europe in their time.  They made so much money that they became royalty - Queen Catherine de Medici of France, and the other one whose  name I can't recall at the moment.  They almost singlehandedly kick started the Renaissance.  They patronised Galileo and Michelangelo and Raphael.  Basically all the money they made went into funding the renaissance and early humanism.  Also Machiavelli's The Prince was written for them and in many ways based on how they went about their political machinations.  

They are an extremely fascinating family.  In my opinion the original Mafioso of Europe, The Godfathers.  After they got tired of pulling the churches strings they just set themselves up as popes instead so they were the puppeteer, the strings and the puppet too.  They produced 2 popes!!  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Medici

http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 5:51pm On Dec 27, 2009

Click on the image for a gallery viewBetween 1300 and 1600 the Western world was transformed.

An extraordinary wave of artistic and cultural innovation shattered medieval society and brought European culture reluctantly into the modern era.

This was the Renaissance.

In art…

In architecture and science…

Buildings were constructed that were bigger and better than ever before. Taking inspiration from the classical past, new rules were invented governing proportion and perspective. Magnificent temples to wealth were designed across Florence and the largest dome in the world was built by Filippo Brunelleschi, the brilliant engineer.

Men no longer accepted at face value the teachings of the Church. Now they wanted to study the natural world, to discover for themselves the secrets of the universe. Leonardo da Vinci pioneered the study of human anatomy and Galileo Galilei rocked the Catholic establishment by announcing that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

In politics…

Liberated from the exclusive grasp of the Catholic Church, education filtered down to the upwardly mobile middle classes. Ancient texts, unread for more than 1,000-years, were devoured and debated. With the invention of printing, ideas swept across Europe faster than ever before, and thinkers and writers shared their opinions with the general public. Vasari recorded the lives of artists and the contribution of the Medici, in a precursor of today's PR.

Machiavelli, the Godfather of Realpolitik, wrote the first modern manual for leadership, “The Prince”, visualizing a pragmatic world in which the end always justified the means.

People still argue about what the Renaisssance meant, when it began and if it even existed. What is undeniable is that something extraordinary happened at the heart of the last millennium. It changed the face of western culture and left no doubt that the Medici were the patrons, the catalyst of genius.

http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/renaissance/index.html
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 5:55pm On Dec 27, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Question is:  Did Pope Leo make that statement ex-cathedra or not?  That will determine the validity of it. lol!

Pope Leo was probably referring, not to christianity serving the catholic church and it's clergy but, to his family that made an incredible fortune from the Church.  You all might have heard of the Medici.  They were a banking family from Florence and they were the Papal bankers for many decades meaning that any money that the church made, they made a cut of it.  Imagine all those tithes from all across western europe.  
The Medici were by far the richest family in europe in their time.  They made so much money that they became royalty - Queen Catherine de Medici of France, and the other one whose  name I can't recall at the moment.  They almost singlehandedly kick started the Renaissance.  They patronised Galileo and Michelangelo and Raphael.  Basically all the money they made went into funding the renaissance and early humanism.  Also Machiavelli's The Prince was written for them and in many ways based on how they went about their political machinations.  

They are an extremely fascinating family.  In my opinion the original Mafioso of Europe, The Godfathers.  After they got tired of pulling the churches strings they just set themselves up as popes instead so they were the puppeteer, the strings and the puppet too.  They produced 2 popes!!  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Medici

http://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/

haha. I just learned this stuff last term.

Renaissance Politics

Italian City-States

- Led by merchant oligarchies
o Duchy of Milan
o Republic of Florence
o Republic of Venice

- Papal States
- Kingdom of Naples

- By 15th century all but Venice had turned themselves over to despots.
- Cosimo de Medice of Florence
o Rich great politician.
- The city states provide a great climate for intellectual artistic pursuits
- Patronage
- Cosimo de Medici and the platonic academy.

- Humanism: the new renaissance learning: love of antiquity, history, archaeology, moral philosophy.

- The study of humanitas

- Human dignity, individualism

- A new educational program

o Rhetoric, languages, study of the classics
o Ad fontes
o Greek philosophy and Greek church fathers.
Humanism
- Rediscovery of Plato
- Eternal ideas
- Moral philosophy
- Faith in human potential
- Human freedom to BECOME.

Petrarch climbing Mount Ventoux
“For the glory of human potential”

- Philology: The study of language. Historical discontinuity. Implications
o Valla (1406-1437) and the donation of Constantine.
o Challenged Church’s claim to secular power.
o Anachronism

Civic Humanism
- Scholarship in Public service
- A way of improving society
- A “Renaissance Man”

Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)
- How to be a 16th century ruler
- Power politics
- Role of ethical considerations
- Based on his historical studies: a humanist
- Exile
- The Prince
- The Discourses
- Was Chancellor of Florence when Medices were temporarily ousted.

Renaissance Men
- Albertini (1404-1472)
- Architect
- Mathematician
- Poet
- Playwright
- Musician
- Inventor
- Who else is a renaissance man?

copy and paste of my poorly taken notes  ^^ grin grin

Didn't know they produced any popes tho. It was a 1st year elective world history course and I didn't pay much attention  grin grin
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Yisraylite(m): 6:07pm On Dec 27, 2009
@ Deep Sight

Yisraylite. . .what is your position please? I have been reading your interesting views. Are you a Jew (Judaist)?

Bro, I'm not a Jew grin  Jews are from Europe  

Masha,Musa or Moses was born an African in Egypt

Yisrayl is located in North east Africa now called the middle East,

Gen 13:1 Then Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, to the South

What country is south of Egypt? Sudan or from Gen 2:11 called Havilah

Gen 2:11   The name of the first is Pishon; it is the one which skirts the whole land of Hawalah(Havilah), where there is gold.

Gen 25:18 (They dwelt from Havilah as far as Shur, which [is] east of Egypt as you go toward Assyria.) He died in the presence of all his brethren.  

Gen 25:19 This [is] the genealogy of Isaac, Abraham's son. Abraham begot Isaac

Ab-ra -ham's sons dwelt from Havilah(Sudan) to Shur, Our ancestors were no Europeans and definitely no Jews

The Creator's Laws are given to all mankind, you don't have to be a Jew,christian or moslem in order to show love to your brothers or sisters by observing The Law in the Original Testament , cos the Most high never gave mankind any religion,

Isa 66:23   And it shall come to pass that from one New Moon to another,and from one Sabbath to another, ALL FLESH shall come to worship before Me," says YAHAWAH.

Ecc 12:13   Here is the conclusion: Reverence YAHAWAH and obey HIS Commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.

(Not  Hebrew, Moslem, Christian or Jew, but all mankind period!)  smiley

@ Krayola

What are u critiquing? the Institution, or the faith of the individual Christian?

I'm just sheding some light on the deeds of the Great Mother church, I believe they invented christianity and that's why  a pope could make such statements, and as a pope Leo X was difinitely an insider and knew some of the papacy's secrets

1 Like

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Yisraylite(m): 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2009
Candid Confessions of the Catholic Church!

"The Catholic Church for over one thousand years before the existence of a Protestant, by virtue of her Divine mission, changed the day [of worship] from Saturday to Sunday. , The Christian Sabbath is therefore to this day the acknowledged offspring of the Catholic Church, as Spouse of the Holy Ghost, without a word of remonstrance from the Protestant world." Editorial, The Catholic Mirror (Baltimore), September 23, 1893.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 6:10pm On Dec 27, 2009
Yisraylite:

@ Krayola

I'm just sheding some light on the deeds of the Great Mother church, I believe they invented christianity and that's why  a pope could make such statements, and as a pope Leo X was difinitely an insider and knew some of the papacy's secrets

Invented Christianity? How does the church invent something that preceded it's existence?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by aletheia(m): 6:11pm On Dec 27, 2009
@Yisraylite
Despite the Roman Catholic Church's claims, it is not representative of historical Christianity. Indeed, it has been responsible for the distortion of the simple gospel of Christ. History catalogs its culpability in trying to suppress the bible, introducing pagan holidays such as Christmas, Easter &c as well as tragedies like the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Holocaust.
Looking at the evidence of Leo X's lifestyle; it would be apparent he did things that the bible condemns
Yisraylite:

In his diaries, Cardinal Bembo, the Pope's secretary for seven years, added that Leo:

"was known to disbelieve Christianity itself. He advanced contrary to the faith and that in condemning the Gospel, therefore he must be a heretic; he was guilty of sodomy with his chamberlains; was addicted to pleasure, luxury, idleness, ambition, unchastity and sensuality; and spent his whole days in the company of musicians and buffoons. His Infallibility's drunkenness was proverbial, he practiced incontinency as well as inebriation, and the effects of his crimes shattered the people's constitution."
so it could hardly be expected that Leo be positive about Jesus.

Your posts indicate that you hold only to the Torah as the Word of YHWH. . .and thus have problems accepting Jesus (Yeshua) as the Messiah. You are not alone in that regard---the Jews even to this day have the same problem. But I have a question for you: What does Gabriel mean by this words in the book of Daniel---

Dan 9:24-27

24 "Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy.

25 "Know therefore and understand,
That from the going forth of the command
To restore and build Jerusalem
Until Messiah the Prince,
There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;

The street shall be built again, and the wall,
Even in troublesome times.

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks
Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;
And the people of the prince who is to come
Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
The end of it shall be with a flood,
And till the end of the war desolations are determined.
27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week;
But in the middle of the week
He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering.
And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate,
Even until the consummation, which is determined,
Is poured out on the desolate."

I await your reply. Shalom
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 6:14pm On Dec 27, 2009
@ Yisralite. . do u believe the old testament is of divine origin? Was Moses put in a basket and found by Pharaoh's daughter?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 6:14pm On Dec 27, 2009
Man, you should have paid attention.  I used to be obsessed by them and read everything about them down to how their banks were structured to that they could get tithes from anywhere in europe.  Countries like Iceland that didn't have much in way of precious metals paid their tithes in whalebone.  They would trade these into money in other countries like amsterdam and they had something called the 'Art of Exchange' that allowed them to register the money in Rome without it even leaving northern europe.  In those days you couldn't travel with money cos the roads were dangerous.

The Church, being the modern world's first multinational organisation, needed to be able to take money across borders.

Hence the development of International Bank, the expertise of the Medici.  International banks had branches across Europe.  If you're a trader and you want to travel on a business trip, rather than risk travelling with all the money you wanted to trade with, all you had to do is deposit the money in your local branch of the bank and then they'd give you a piece of paper with was a 'promise to pay the holder on demand' the sum you had deposited.  You could then travel with this piece of paper safely tucked away.  When you get to the town you want to do business all you have to do is show the paper to the local branch of your bank in that town and they will give you the money.  It was neat.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Yisraylite(m): 6:18pm On Dec 27, 2009
@ Krayola

Invented Christianity? How does the church invent something that preceded it's existence?

The Greco Romans worship of Mithras preceeded christianity, Whose divine figure Mithra was also claimed to be born on dec 25th

It is argued that, as the story of the incarnation of the Christians' Savior is of more recent date than those of the oriental and the ancient religions ( as is conceded by Christians themselves), the origin of the former is thus indicated and foreshadowed as being an outgrowth from, if not a plagiarism upon the latter - a borrowed copy, of which the pagan stories furnish the original.  Here, then, we observe a rivalship of claims, as to which of the remarkable personages who have figured in the world of Saviors, Messiahs, and Sons of God, in different ages and different countries, can be considered the true Savior and "sent of God;" or whether all should be, or the claims of all rejected.

For researchers in oriental history reveal the remarkable fact that stories of incarnate Gods answering to and resembling the miraculous character of Jesus Christ have been prevalent in most if not all the principal religious heathen nations of antiquity; and the accounts and narrations of some of these deific incarnations bear such a striking resemblance to that of the Christian Savior - not only in their general features, but in some cases the most minute details, from the legend of the immaculate conception to that of the crucifixion, and subsequent ascension into heaven - that one might almost be mistaken for another.

More than twenty claims of this kind - claims of being invested with divine honor (deified) - have come forward and presented themselves at the bar of the world, with their credentials, to contest the verdict of Christendom, in having proclaimed Jesus Christ, "the only son, and sent of God:" twenty Messiahs, Saviors, and Sons of God, according to history or tradition, have in past times, descended from heaven, and taken upon themselves the form of men, clothing themselves with human flesh, and furnishing incontestable evidence of a divine origin, by various miracles, marvelous works, and superlative virtues; and finally these twenty Jesus Christs (accepting their character of the name) laid the foundation for the salvation of the world, and ascended back to heaven:

Krishna of Hindostan
    -Buddha Sakia of India
    -Salivahana of Bermuda
    -Zulis, or Zhule, also Osiris and
           Orus, of Egypt
    -Odin of the Scandinavians
    -Crite of Chaldea
    -Zoroaster and Mithra of Persia
    -Baal and Taut, "the only
           Begotten of God," of Phoenicia
    -Indra of Tibet
    -Bali of Afghanistan
    -Jao of Nepal
    -Wittoba of the Bilingonese
    -Thammuz of Syria
    -Atys of Phrygia
    -Xamolxis of Thrace
    -Zoar of the Bonzes
    -Adad of Assyria
    -Deva Tat, and Sammonocadam of Siam
    -Alcides of Thebes
    -Mikado of the Sintoos
    -Beddru of Japan
    -Hesus of Eros, and Bremrillah,
            of the Druids
    -Thor, son of Odin, of the Gauls
    -Cadmus of Greece
    -Hil and Feta of the Mandaites
    -Gentaut and Quexalcote of Mexico
    -Universal Monarch of the Sibyls
    -Ischy of the Island of Formosa
    -Divine Teacher of Plato
    -Holy One of Xaca
    -Fohi and Tien of China
    -Adonis, son of the virgin Io of Greece
    -Ixion and Quirnus of Rome
    -Prometheus of Caucasus
    -Mohammed, or Mahomet, of Arabia

1 Like

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2009
In his diaries, Cardinal Bembo, the Pope's secretary for seven years, added that Leo:

"was known to disbelieve Christianity itself. He advanced contrary to the faith and that in condemning the Gospel, therefore he must be a heretic; he was guilty of sodomy with his chamberlains; was addicted to pleasure, luxury, idleness, ambition, unchastity and sensuality; and spent his whole days in the company of musicians and buffoons. His Infallibility's drunkenness was proverbial, he practiced incontinency as well as inebriation, and the effects of his crimes shattered the people's constitution."

There were probably a few atheist popes before Leo, but yeah Leo was the first one to openly express his humanist ideals.  He was probably the last pope of the golden era of Catholic dominance. After him came the reformation.  Check out what his niece Queen Catherine di Medici of France did to the protestants.   It is known in history as the St.  Bartholomew's day Massacre.  She gathered them all in one place under the ruse of inviting them to a wedding.  Then once they were all in Paris she basically obliterated protestantism from France in one single day.  
The St. Bartholomew's Day massacre (Massacre de la Saint-Barthélemy in French) in 1572 was a targeted group of assassinations, followed by a wave of Roman Catholic mob violence, both directed against the Huguenots (French Calvinist Protestants), during the French Wars of Religion. Traditionally believed to have been instigated by Catherine de' Medici, the mother of King Charles IX, the massacre took place six days after the wedding of the king's sister to the Protestant Henry III of Navarre (the future Henry IV of France). This marriage was an occasion for which many of the most wealthy and prominent Huguenots had gathered in largely Catholic Paris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bartholomew's_Day_massacre
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 6:27pm On Dec 27, 2009
Krayola:

@ Yisralite. .  do u believe the old testament is of divine origin? Was Moses put in a basket and found by Pharaoh's daughter?

@Yisralite ^^^
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 6:30pm On Dec 27, 2009
@pastor. haha. yeah. I read about all that stuff. I had to study for the exam. I had my dates wrong and had just 5 hours to study for that exam. I still passed though. i just wasn't aware that they were responsible for any popes. I'll look thru the textbook some time. All I did in class was post on Nairaland  grin grin didn't pay much attention to the lectures.

1 Like

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2009
Helloooo, Yisralite. . . I want to learn from you  angry Come and teach me about your religion that was "hijacked" by the Jews  cry cry
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 27, 2009
Insert Quote
Where is Chukwudi44?

Papal infallibility is the dogma in Catholic theology that, by action of the Holy Spirit, the Pope is preserved from even the possibility of error[1] when he solemnly declares or promulgates to the universal Church a dogmatic teaching on faith or morals as being contained in divine revelation, or at least being intimately connected to divine revelation. It is also taught that the Holy Spirit works in the body of the Church, as sensus fidelium, to ensure that dogmatic teachings proclaimed to be infallible will be received by all Catholics. This dogma, however, does not state either that the Pope cannot commit sin in his own personal life or that he is necessarily free of error, even when speaking in his official capacity, outside the specific contexts in which the dogma applies

In practice, popes seldom use their power of infallibility, but rely on the notion that the Church allows the office of the pope to be the ruling agent in deciding what will be accepted as formal beliefs in the Church.[2] Since the solemn declaration of Papal Infallibility by Vatican I on July 18, 1870, this power has been used only once ex cathedra: in 1950 when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as being an article of faith for Roman Catholics

I think that settles it

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibility

Despite the Roman Catholic Church's claims, it is not representative of historical Christianity. Indeed, it has been responsible for the distortion of the simple gospel of Christ. History catalogs its culpability in trying to suppress the bible, introducing pagan holidays such as Christmas, Easter &c as well as tragedies like the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Holocaust.
Looking at the evidence of Leo X's lifestyle; it would be apparent he did things that the bible condemns

Are you protestants not equally guilty,You have also had your own fair share of scandals.

Just listen to this sermon from Martin luther the founder of protestantism
Luther advocated an eight-point plan to get rid of the Jews either by religious conversion or by expulsion:

"First to set fire to their synagogues or schools and to bury and cover with dirt whatever will not burn, so that no man will ever again see a stone or cinder of them. , "
"Second, I advise that their houses also be razed and destroyed. , "
"Third, I advise that all their prayer books and Talmudic writings, in which such idolatry, lies, cursing and blasphemy are taught, be taken from them. , "
"Fourth, I advise that their rabbis be forbidden to teach henceforth on pain of loss of life and limb. , "
"Fifth, I advise that safe-conduct on the highways be abolished completely for the Jews. , "
"Sixth, I advise that usury be prohibited to them, and that all cash and treasure of silver and gold be taken from them. , Such money should now be used in , the following [way], Whenever a Jew is sincerely converted, he should be handed [a certain amount], "
"Seventh, I commend putting a flail, an ax, a hoe, a spade, a distaff, or a spindle into the hands of young, strong Jews and Jewesses and letting them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow, For it is not fitting that they should let us accursed Goyim toil in the sweat of our faces while they, the holy people, idle away their time behind the stove, feasting and farting, and on top of all, boasting blasphemously of their lordship over the Christians by means of our sweat. No, one should toss out these lazy rogues by the seat of their pants."
"If we wish to wash our hands of the Jews' blasphemy and not share in their guilt, we have to part company with them. They must be driven from our country" and "we must drive them out like mad dogs

He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[w]e are at fault in not slaying them."[[/b]7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies

Initially Luther had a low view of the books of Esther, Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelation. He called the Epistle of James "[b]an epistle of straw
," finding little in it that pointed to Christ and His saving work. He also had harsh words for the book of Revelation, saying that he could "in no way detect that the Holy Spirit produced it."[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Bible
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 7:20pm On Dec 27, 2009
chukwudi44:

Papal infallibility is the dogma in Catholic theology that, by action of the Holy Spirit, the Pope is preserved from even the possibility of error[1] when he solemnly declares or promulgates to the universal Church a dogmatic teaching on faith or morals as being contained in divine revelation, or at least being intimately connected to divine revelation. It is also taught that the Holy Spirit works in the body of the Church, as sensus fidelium, to ensure that dogmatic teachings proclaimed to be infallible will be received by all Catholics. This dogma, however, does not state either that the Pope cannot commit sin in his own personal life or that he is necessarily free of error, even when speaking in his official capacity, outside the specific contexts in which the dogma applies

In practice, popes seldom use their power of infallibility, but rely on the notion that the Church allows the office of the pope to be the ruling agent in deciding what will be accepted as formal beliefs in the Church.[2] Since the solemn declaration of Papal Infallibility by Vatican I on July 18, 1870, this power has been used only once ex cathedra: in 1950 when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as being an article of faith for Roman Catholics

I think that settles it

I find this wholly unsatisfactory.

I understand clearly that papal infallibillity does not relate to sin. As you have stated, it relates to the formation of dogma: which is then deemed infallible once the Pope’s seal of Divine Revelation is said to be on it.

I ask you the following questions:

1. Has the Roman Catholic Church ever changed any of its doctrines or dogma in History?

2. If it has, what does that suggest about the doctrinal infallibility of previous popes?

3. Has the Catholic Church ever sanctioned any dogma that emerges as outrightly false, unsciptural and as such led to repudiation?

4. If such has happened, what does that say about Papal infallibility on Doctrines?

Let us consider this:

1. Who was the Pope when Martin Luther nailed his questions to the door of the Monastery protesting the sale of Papal indulgences for the forgiveness of sins?

2. Was the sale of indulgences for the forgiveness of sins not a standard practice and doctrine of the church at that time?

3. What does this say about papal infallibility on doctrines?

4. If the Popes have made astonishingly evil doctrinal or dogmatic declarations in history, is there any reason to believe in Papal Infallibillity?

In specific regard to Leo, is his statement regarding the “myth” of Christ irrelevant to this discussion? Can a person who could have made such a remark be said to be infallible when it comes to doctrine on account of supposed Divine Revelation? ? ? How come he had no “Divine Revelation” about the truth of Christ?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 27, 2009
this power has been used only once ex cathedra: in 1950 when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as being an article of faith for Roman Catholics

ol boy,the above quote answers your questions.The clause of papal infallibility has been invoked just once in history
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 7:38pm On Dec 27, 2009
The Medici created a lucrative partnership with another medieval power, the Catholic Church. In what had to be one of the most ingenious enterprises of all time, the Medici bank collected 10% of your earnings for the Church. (Kunleoshob are you listening) If you couldn't pay, you faced excommunication - a one-way ticket to hell.

The Pope himself had a massive overdraft, and the Medici bank became the most profitable business in Europe. By 1434, half the bank's revenue came from the Rome “branch”, which was in fact little more than a mobile bank that followed the Pope around the world.

Papal connections gave the Medici bank immense power, soon everyone wanted an account with the Pope's personal bank. On one occasion the nomination of a new bishop was “delayed”, until his father - a Cardinal - had repaid their debts to the Medici bank.

And the Medici kept ahead of their banking rivals because of the invention of limited liability. Giovanni di Bicci had set up a franchise system, where regional branch managers shared a stake in the business. Giovanni also banned loans to princes and kings, who were notoriously bad investments.

Consequentially, the Medici business remained in the black while its competitors lost fortunes.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 27, 2009
@pastor AIO

don't allow me open the dossier on the disastrous henry viii ,the founder of the anglican church
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2009
chukwudi44:

this power has been used only once ex cathedra: in 1950 when Pope Pius XII defined the Assumption of Mary as being an article of faith for Roman Catholics

ol boy,the above quote answers your questions.The clause of papal infallibility has been invoked just once in history

Is it your assumption that if it is used again, the pronouncement thereof would be an infallible one?
Do you think regardless of usage that the term "infallible" can ever be ascribed to doctrinal declarations of ANY HUMAN BEING?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2009
The night before his birth, Giovanni’s mother dreams she gives birth to a lion on the altar of Florence Cathedral. She convinces Lorenzo that their son’s destiny lies in the church, and he receives the tonsure at seven -years old. By thirteen, he is the youngest cardinal in history.

In 1492, the dying Lorenzo offers his son this advice: “Be grateful to God. You should be the link to bind this city closer to the church, and our family with the city. There will be many who will try to corrupt you.“

Lorenzo was right. Giovanni lives his life in luxury and excess, selling jobs to his friends and running the papal coffers dry. In 1513 with the death of the old Pope Giovanni presides over his own Papal election - just as his mother predicted - taking the title Leo X.

Giovanni is no stranger to violence. He shows them who's boss at the massacre at Prato and has no hesitation in killing conspirators, before they get to him first.

But Leo will always be best-known for his failure to control Martin Luther which breaks the Catholic Church in half.

(in fact he did not take the threat of Luther seriously which was his biggest failing)

12/11/1475 12/1/1521 N/A
Lorenzo il Magnifico Clarice Orsini N/A

Papa Leone
[size=16pt]“God has given us
the Papacy, let us enjoy it!“
[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures From Pastor Tunde Bakare's 60TH BIRTHDAY / NOAH: This Information Will Make Smart People Throw Their Bibles Away! / T.B. Joshua “Delivers” 2 Lesbian Partners During Church Service (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.