Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,757 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! (38470 Views)

Churchless Christianity: A Move Of God? / Is Christianity A Confused Religion Or A Religion Of Confused People? / Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 7:45pm On Dec 27, 2009
chukwudi44:

@pastor AIO

don't allow me open the dossier on the disastrous henry viii ,the founder of the anglican church

haha. Didn't he start his own church because he wanted some new p.u.s.sy and the Catholic Church wouldn't let his divorce his mamacita  grin Now I wish I paid more attention in that class. I heard he was a dirty STD infested dude.  grin grin
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2009
Do you think regardless of usage that the term "infallible" can ever be ascribed to doctrinal declarations of ANY HUMAN BEING

The prophecies in the scripture were written by human beings under divine guidance and are thus infallible.Likewise the pope can be influenced by the holy spirit to propound an infallible dogma.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2009
chukwudi44:

The prophecies in the scripture were written by human beings under divine guidance and are thus infallible.Likewise the pope can be influenced by the holy spirit to propound an infallible dogma.

Great: so infallibility is not reserved for the Pope then?

I too could be influenced by the Holy Spirit to propound an infallible dogma, just like the bible writers, yes?

In this post you have conceded that infallibility of dogma is not "Papal" . . . but comes from the Holy Spirit. . .

Thus there is nothing like papal infallibility. . . only infallibility of the Holy Spirit. . . Yes?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2009
Come on guys, God has given us the papacy. Let us enjoy it instead of squabbling over it.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by DeepSight(m): 8:01pm On Dec 27, 2009
^^^ God? God? ? God? ? ?

God would not give us an institution that has a very well documented history of corruption, violence and duplicity.

Can we even begin to quantify it?

Aside all the old atrocities, just look at the role of the Pope and Church in the 2nd world war. . . they could not speak truth to power. . .
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 8:07pm On Dec 27, 2009
The papacy isn't the real issue IMO. It's just an easy target because most have beef with the Catholic Church

It's the Bible and the sacred infallible word of God status that it has been given. When u critically analyse it people will say the devil is using you. Why can't its authors be subject to criticism. The way some people here quote the Bible u will think they knew the people that wrote it and can vouch for their credibility.

Accepting authority from the pope isn't any different from accepting authority from "Holy" books IMHO.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by nuclearboy(m): 9:17pm On Dec 27, 2009
@Krayola:

The Bible is a guide to the ways of God. We know He had the capability to write it on tablets of stone like Moses law but allowed men to write in their own words in their own way because it was meant for men. The fact that you can find seeming contradictions in it is beside the point. Why not look at the message? We have the prophecies of which quite a number have been verified. We have laws that seem to change with time because God is dynamic and would not treat a 21st century "civilized" society the way he'd treat a barbarian society or treat a horde of savages the way he treats the elite. We were created in His image, the book says and true to type, you do not treat your daughter the way you'll treat a guy coming at you with a knife and rage in his eyes. We have guides to worship, comparison of "gods', treatises on pride, cruelty, money etc. Yet the message remains singular. Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. Think about those statement and you'll find all the successes of humanity have been built on those desires.

And not all Christians will say "the devil is using you" when you critique the Bible. You are only searching for truth (assuming you didn't open the page looking for something to scream about) and have a right to wonder aloud when you find something that rubs you the wrong way. The Bible itself informs us that God says to search and prove all Spirits. If the Bible is Spiritual as we claim, please prove it. Isaiah also tells us God asks us to plead our case and show our strong reasons. If you are right, it point blank says you will be justified.

Anyone screaming against Biblical critiques has either got something to hide in their "form" of Christianity or is ignorant of the Word of God
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 2:23am On Dec 28, 2009
nuclearboy:

We know He had the capability to write it on tablets of stone like Moses law but allowed men to write in their own words in their own way because it was meant for men.

I doubt you KNOW that. You believe that, and most people do because that is what tradition teaches. African tradition teaches us other things too that most of us dismiss.  If some African Babalawo came down from Olumo Rock with a stone Tablet from "God" tomorrow and said it was a covenant from God with all Nigerians, will you stop subscribing to the Hebrew tradition?

nuclearboy:

The fact that you can find seeming contradictions in it is beside the point. Why not look at the message?

I really don't care about the "contradictions" in the bible. I care that people should make an effort to understanding what is responsible for them, so that they can mature in their faith, instead of just cluelessly defending something they don't understand. The people that compiled those books were aware of the contradictions and it did not bother them. So they are not an issue to me. When people critique the Bible based on that I just find it funny TBH.

nuclearboy:

We have the prophecies of which quite a number have been verified.

According to tradition.

Scholarship tells us those "prophecies" were written after the fact. And in the case of the New Testament the authors created their narratives around certain Old testament "prophecies". My intention isn't to rip apart scripture and tbh I really don't want to go there. I was just pointing out that people shouldn't just keep repeating things that they have received from authority, as authority (<-- does that even make sense  grin ) . My little bit of sense tells me that people do not walk on water, "God" probably does not write laws for all the world on stone tablets, and floods do not cover the earth etc. When i read things like that, I try to understand what could be responsible for them appearing in the book, and then interpret them based on that. . . and not just try to defend something that my experience of reality tells me is most likely bull.s.hit if taken literally.

nuclearboy:

We have laws that seem to change with time because God is dynamic and would not treat a 21st century "civilized" society the way he'd treat a barbarian society or treat a horde of savages the way he treats the elite. We were created in His image, the book says and true to type, you do not treat your daughter the way you'll treat a guy coming at you with a knife and rage in his eyes. We have guides to worship, comparison of "gods', treatises on pride, cruelty, money etc. Yet the message remains singular. Love God and love your neighbor as yourself. Think about those statement and you'll find all the successes of humanity have been built on those desires.

Progress, success, civilization etc, are not exclusive to Christian societies.

And not all Christians will say "the devil is using you" when you critique the Bible.

I never said ALL. I said people will say that, not that ALL people will say that. 70% of my profs were Christians, mostly preachers. 20% were devout Jews. So I know better than to make such a claim. My issue is with people that just accept the authority of Bible/Church tradition, with no critical engagement. If the foundation is faulty, how long will the house stand? Reading stuff that reinforces stuff u already agree with isn't growth. If Jesus just accepted the teachings of the authorities, we wouldn't adore him so much. We need to follow his example, and not just eat what people have handed down to us. Jesus was a critic of the status quo. It didn't make sense to him, and he tried to reform things. .  it got him killed. Jesus was a progressive. . . he was no maga. The Jerusalem pharisees he was in arguments with would quote scripture and tell him to just accept it the way it was, and he would show them the reality of the average person's life, and say "use your fu.k.n brains, does this make sense to you?". I think we need to do that more in this day and age. Especially with all these bible toting crooks on pulpits nowadays.

people say religion is the opiate of the masses. I disagree. .  But I think superstition is. We need to get rid of all this magical wishful thinking that is central to a lot of religionist's faiths. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 2:55am On Dec 28, 2009
It has served us well, this myth of Christ.

Widely attributed to Leo X, the earliest known source of this statement is actually a polemical work by John Bale Acta Romanorum Pontificum which was first translated from Latin into English as The Pageant of the Popes in 1574: "For on a time when a cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: All ages can testifie enough howe profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie." The Pope in this case being Leo X.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Pope_Leo_X
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Knight1(m): 8:14am On Dec 28, 2009
I don't know why there so much issue about this. If the 'big' christians of like say, Nigeria have a minister's conference and then after they come out and declare unanimously that God doesnt exist or that Christianity is a ruse, would it mean that they are correct? You know as well as i do that that will be insufficient reason to say that God doesnt exist (He exists, infact He lives, mind you)
It is general knowledge that the Catholic church was infiltrated by the devil, very well sef, this was a church that was selling indulgencies, that was burning people at stakes, at the time it had become a political institution rather that religious, that was so powerful that an Emperor once declared 'Make me the Pope and I'll become a Christian' so if a Pope, a drunk one at that, said something like that, and you are using that as a reason to attack Christianity, you gotta get a better, and more reasonable arguement!!!
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by viaro: 12:22pm On Dec 28, 2009
^^^ Very interesting, tpia.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2009
Everything must have the first time it was written down. Was it authentic? This was something said in a private conversation in a private dinner. It is absolutely in keeping with the character of the person said to have said it. It is in keeping with the way he spoke and with his attitude to religion. That someone then uses it in a book and that being the first time it was recorded is not a strong argument that he didn't say it.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 29, 2009
the point is the OP is twisting things out of context.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:29am On Dec 29, 2009
Deep Sight:

^^^ God? God? ? God? ? ?

God would not give us an institution that has a very well documented history of corruption, violence and duplicity.

Can we even begin to quantify it?

Aside all the old atrocities, just look at the role of the Pope and Church in the 2nd world war. . . they could not speak truth to power. . .
Talking from both sides of your mouth eh? Did God not give us malaria and HIV? He did it to balance the world grin grin grin grin grin how does that feel now?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 1:56am On Dec 29, 2009
^^ God gave the world malaria and HIV?

evidence?
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by MyJoe: 5:47pm On Jan 05, 2010
@Krayola

I agree with the spirit of what you said, but the only problem with the "understanding" you speak of is that it is subjective, and, even more serious, often elusive.

BTW, King Henry wanted a male heir, not necessarily a new bedmate. You only had to get one before the other since their culture and religion did not allow polygamy.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Krayola(m): 6:02pm On Jan 05, 2010
MyJoe:

@Krayola

I agree with the spirit of what you said, but the only problem with the "understanding" you speak of is that it is subjective, and, even more serious, often elusive.

Understanding, IMO, isn't about answers, but about perspectives, and having different sets of vantage points from which to look at stuff. I think mature faith is willing to face the obvious "issues" that arise when it comes to having to believe stuff that one knows does not agree with what one's experience of reality is. When belief in God = belief in the unreasonable/irrational/superstitous etc, that is when i want nothing to do with it. I will not believe in a God that insists that I do not use faculties he has given me to find my way in this world, and to God. And any "man of God" that tells me that is the way to God will get a spit in the face from me. But that's just me.

MyJoe:

BTW, King Henry wanted a male heir, not necessarily a new bedmate. You only had to get one before the other since their culture and religion did not allow polygamy.

haha. . same s.h.it different toilet  grin . I admit my post was a little cynical but the koko of the matter was that the upstart of the new church had little to do with matters of faith.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by MyJoe: 6:46pm On Jan 05, 2010
Krayola:

Understanding, IMO, isn't about answers, but about perspectives, and having different sets of vantage points from which to look at stuff. I think mature faith is willing to face the obvious "issues" that arise when it comes to having to believe stuff that one knows does not agree with what one's experience of reality is. When belief in God = belief in the unreasonable/irrational/superstitous etc, that is when i want nothing to do with it. I will not believe in a God that insists that I do not use faculties he has given me to find my way in this world, and to God. And any "man of God" that tells me that is the way to God will get a spit in the face from me. But that's just me.

Perhaps. For some, understanding, even as you define it, is out of the question because it is simply out of their reach. Belief in a creator-God is simple enough and most people are brought up in it. Religious dogmas are not simple. Many illiterate Africans accepted Christianity because (1) it brought what was ostensibly a superior way (stop killing twins, stop ethnic wars, stop ritual murder, medicines for your ailments, etc) and then the bandwagon effect. They could not have understood nada and did not. Now, even for sophisticated people who try to understand, who write all the exegeses you read on this Land, you find that they often have to paper over certain aspects in order to move on. If you hit on these points with them, they resort to non-sequiturs and wild analogies, pretending they understand what they are talking about. My point is that it is a moot point talking about "understanding". From my knowledge of psychology, I can adduce several reasons why people believe or accept. But ultimately, I strongly suspect that the process by which we believe or disbelieve is like the process by which a man and a woman fall in love - it cannot entirely be understood.

Krayola:

haha. . same s.h.it different toilet  grin . I admit my post was a little cynical but the koko of the matter was that the upstart of the new church had little to do with matters of faith.

The highlighted part is spot on. Just thought I should let your readers see things in context.

Sleep well and Happy New Year!
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by PastorAIO: 8:09pm On Feb 21, 2017
^^ God gave the world malaria and HIV?

evidence?

There is about as much evidence here as there is that God created the universe.
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by 4kings: 10:33am On Mar 13, 2018
Interesting thread here PastorAIO and DeepSight.

Cc: AnonyNymous KingEbukasBlog raphieMontella Wilgrea7 Hahn johnydon22 Dalaman adepeter2027 OkaiCorne Seun Cloudgoddess and co

2 Likes

Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Dantedasz(m): 4:19am On May 24, 2020
Yisraylite:
A favorite satire that developed around him was called the "Gospel according to Marks and Silver", which said:

"In those days, Pope Leo said to the clergy: 'When Jesus the Son of Man shall come to the seat of our Majesty, say first of all, 'Friend, wherefore art Thou come hither? And if He gives you naught in silver or gold, cast Him forth into outer darkness.'"
(A History of the Popes, Dr Joseph McCabe, ibid., vol. 2, chapter on "The Age of Power"wink

It was Pope Leo X who made the most infamous and damaging statement about Christianity in the history of the Church. His declaration revealed to the world papal knowledge of the Vatican's false presentation of Jesus Christ and unashamedly exposed the puerile nature of the Christian religion. At a lavish Good Friday banquet in the Vatican in 1514, and in the company of "seven intimates" (Annales Ecclesiastici, Caesar Baronius, Folio Antwerp, 1597, tome 14), Leo made an amazing announcement that the Church has since tried hard to invalidate.

Raising a chalice of wine into the air, Pope Leo toasted:

"How well we know what a profitable superstition this fable of Christ has been for us and our predecessors."

The pope's pronouncement is recorded in the diaries and records of both Pietro Cardinal Bembo (Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, 1842 reprint) and Paolo Cardinal Giovio (De Vita Leonis Decimi, , op. cit.), two associates who were witnesses to it.

Caesar (Cardinal) Baronius (1538-1607) was Vatican librarian for seven years and wrote a 12-volume history of the Church, known as Annales Ecclesiastici. He was the Church's most outstanding historian (Catholic Encyclopedia, New Edition, 1976, ii, p. 105) and his records provide vital inside information for anybody studying the rich depth of falsification in Christianity.

Cardinal Baronius, who turned down two offers to become pope in 1605, added the following comments about Pope Leo's declaration:

"The Pontiff has been accused of atheism, for he denied God and called Christ, in front of cardinals Pietro Bembo, Jovius and Iacopo Sadoleto and other intimates, 'a fable' ,  it must be corrected".
(Annales Ecclesiastici, op. cit., tomes viii and xi)

In an early edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia (Pecci ed., iii, pp. 312-314, passim), the Church devoted two-and-half pages in an attempt to nullify the most destructive statement ever made by the head of Christianity. It based the essence of its argument on the assumption that what the pope meant by "profitable" was "gainful", and "fable" was intended to mean "tradition".

Hence, confused Catholic theologians argued that what the pope really meant was,

"How well Christians have gained from this wonderful tradition of Christ".

But that isn't what he said.

It is from Christianity's own records that Pope Leo's statement became known to the world. In his diaries, Cardinal Bembo, the Pope's secretary for seven years, added that Leo:

", was known to disbelieve Christianity itself. He advanced contrary to the faith and that in condemning the Gospel, therefore he must be a heretic; he was guilty of sodomy with his chamberlains; was addicted to pleasure, luxury, idleness, ambition, unchastity and sensuality; and spent his whole days in the company of musicians and buffoons. His Infallibility's drunkenness was proverbial, he practiced incontinency as well as inebriation, and the effects of his crimes shattered the people's constitution."
(Letters and Comments on Pope Leo X, ibid.)

For more visit http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican30c.htm

shocked
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by jkoenzuraida: 9:31pm On Jun 24, 2020
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by jkoenzuraida: 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2020
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by jkoenzuraida: 8:56pm On Apr 27, 2021
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by jkoenzuraida: 8:37pm On Dec 15, 2021
Pretty much to the point. Please keep these articles coming. Septic tank pumping Augusta

Corporate Investigation Dayton
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by jkoenzuraida: 7:39pm On Apr 18, 2022
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 18, 2022
Yisraylite:
A favorite satire that developed around him was called the "Gospel according to Marks and Silver", which said:

"In those days, Pope Leo said to the clergy: 'When Jesus the Son of Man shall come to the seat of our Majesty, say first of all, 'Friend, wherefore art Thou come hither? And if He gives you naught in silver or gold, cast Him forth into outer darkness.'"
(A History of the Popes, Dr Joseph McCabe, ibid., vol. 2, chapter on "The Age of Power"wink

It was Pope Leo X who made the most infamous and damaging statement about Christianity in the history of the Church. His declaration revealed to the world papal knowledge of the Vatican's false presentation of Jesus Christ and unashamedly exposed the puerile nature of the Christian religion. At a lavish Good Friday banquet in the Vatican in 1514, and in the company of "seven intimates" (Annales Ecclesiastici, Caesar Baronius, Folio Antwerp, 1597, tome 14), Leo made an amazing announcement that the Church has since tried hard to invalidate.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/did-pope-leo-x-say-it-has-served-us-well-this-myth-of-christ

Although the quote is commonly attributed without source documentation to Pope Leo X, it is believed to have originated in a satirical piece titled “The Pageant of the Popes” by a Protestant controversialist named John Bale (1495–1563). Bale wrote: “For on a time when a Cardinall Bembus did move a question out of the Gospell, the Pope gave him a very contemptuous answer saying: ‘All ages can testifie enough howe profitable that fable of Christe hath ben to us and our companie.’”
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by RobinCook: 2:53pm On Sep 05, 2023
this is totally on point!

<a href = "https://www.bobcleanswindows.com/">Window Cleaning Window Cleaning</a>
Re: Pope Leo X And His Most Infamous Declaration About Christianity!a Must Read! by RobinCook: 3:35pm On Sep 06, 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prophet Joshua Iginla Prophesied About Buhari, Defection Saga In 2018 / Birth Of Jesus: Did Mary Have Other Children Aside From Jesus Christ? / Yahoo Boys Spray Cash On A Pastor During Church Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.