Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Buddhist! Come In - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Buddhist! Come In (2158 Views)

Thai Boys Rescued From Cave Ordained As Buddhist Monks(Photos) / Buddhist Monk ‘still Smiling’ Two Months After His Death / 3 Buddhist Beliefs That Will Rock Your World (and Make You Much Happier!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2017
I'm not sure if there are any buddhists on NL, seems we only have the xtians & moslems. But if you are a buddhist let's discuss and share views about buddhism here. May we be enlightened and take refuge in the three jewels. Om manepadme hum, namaste.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buddhist! Come In by Wilgrea7(m): 4:37pm On Apr 04, 2017
I'm not a Buddhist but i doubt there are Buddhists on nairaland... i have a few things to learn from them

1 Like

Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 04, 2017
Wilgrea7:
I'm not a Buddhist but i doubt there are Buddhists on nairaland... i have a few things to learn from them
Buddhism is an ancient religion founded by Guatama. Buddhism philosophy teaches the four noble truths and eightfold path but it's a pity only few buddhists are on Nl.

1 Like

Re: Buddhist! Come In by Wilgrea7(m): 6:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
Teensway:
Buddhism is an ancient religion founded by Guatama. Buddhism philosophy teaches the four noble truths and eightfold path but it's a pity only few buddhists are on Nl.

yeah... i have the dhampada on my phone... its the number one eastern religion i respect next to Sikhism... I'll drop my questions soon... but let's wait for others to show up

MODIFIED
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 05, 2017
Wilgrea7:

yeah... i have the dhampada on my phone... its the number one eastern religion i respect next to Buddhism... I'll drop my questions soon... but let's wait for others to show up
The dhamapada is the collection of buddha sayings. Theraveda and other type of buddhism also use it.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 05, 2017
Hello,

Teensway:

Perhaps since there are only few buddhists in the house, it would be welcomed that you talked to us more about your religion. I would like to know, Who is/can be regarded as a buddhist? and How did you become a Buddhist?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 05, 2017
LoJ:
Hello,

Perhaps since there are only few buddhists in the house, it would be welcomed that you talked to us more about your religion.

Sure there are few buddhists on nairaland. I once came across one who said he practiced Theraveda buddhism but i can't remember his moniker.

I would like to know, Who is/can be regarded as a buddhist?

Millions of people who practice buddhism all over the world can be called buddhists. Anybody can be a buddhist if you are looking for enlightenment. Though there are different schools of buddhism but they all have the same basic teachings like:

* Four noble truths.
* Meditation.
* Eightfold path, e.t.c

and How did you become a Buddhist?

I discovered there are more to life than what christianity taught me. The truth was i found answers to my questions.

Thank you.

You are welcome.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Horus(m): 10:23pm On Apr 05, 2017

Original statues of Buddha clearly show him to be
Africoid, with the wide nose, thick lips and frizzy, nappy, hair
which are distinctive Negro characteristics.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 05, 2017
Horus:

Original statues of Buddha clearly show him to be
Africoid, with the wide nose, thick lips and frizzy, nappy, hair
which are distinctive Negro characteristics.
Then africans must have become spiritual enlightened also and that's quiet new to me. According to the picture it dates back to 800AD but buddhism was founded in 5BC. Historical writings shows Guatama to have come from India. Anyone can be a buddha, buddha simply refer to spiritual awaken beings. Guatama was the first to be awaken that's why he taught those teachings on how to discover the buddha in us. Maybe that ones were also enlightened beings. Infact there are many buddhas in nirvana and the main aim of buddhism is to make you a buddha i.e become spiritual awake.

Forgive my english.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by correctguy101(m): 12:53am On Apr 06, 2017
Nice one Op.

I must confess, I know next to nothing about Buddhism, only scratches I just came across at a glance. Never read much on it tho.

Sounds interesting, following....
Re: Buddhist! Come In by hopefulLandlord: 1:16am On Apr 06, 2017
here to learn
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 5:46am On Apr 06, 2017
correctguy101:
Nice one Op.

I must confess, I know next to nothing about Buddhism, only scratches I just came across at a glance. Never read much on it tho.

Sounds interesting, following....
You are welcome
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 5:47am On Apr 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
here to learn
You are welcome also
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 6:08am On Apr 06, 2017
Guatama taught the four noble truths shortly after enlightenment:

1. Truth of suffering. (Dukka)
2. Truth of cause of suffering. (Samudaya)
3. Truth of end of suffering. (Nirhoda)
4. Truth of the path to end of suffering by following the eightfold path. (Magga)

Learn more about the four noble truths here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/beliefs/fournobletruths_1.shtml
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 6:41am On Apr 06, 2017
The eightfold path to attain enlightenment and be free from the painful cycle of reincarnation are:

1. Right view.
2. Right resolve.
3. Right speech.
4. Right conduct.
5. Right livelihood.
6. Right effort.
7. Right mindfulness.
8. Right concentration through meditation.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Wilgrea7(m): 10:33am On Apr 06, 2017
Teensway:

I discovered there are more to life than what christianity taught me. The truth was i found answers to my questions.

permit me for asking... but what more to life did you discover?

are you yet a guru?
does Buddhism deal much with rituals?
does Buddhism believe in energy vampires? if yes then how can someone cure them?
what's your take on divine healing

please forgive my questions... but there are many wonderful things i wish to learn about Buddhism..
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 1:25pm On Apr 06, 2017
Wilgrea7:

but what more to life did you discover?

Questions like why do churches preach against reincarnation and yet these occurrence(reincarnation) keep occuring right before our eyes. I asked my mother sometimes ago about reincarnation and she kept telling me true life stories about reincarnation. Questions like why was i born? Why does suffering never seize? How do i become happy without worldly possessions? Why are human knowledge limited? i can go on and list questions that were answered by buddhism. There are so many questions some religions seems to stop us from asking. Till today islam and christianity has not given me a satisfying answer on how god came into existence, something must have led to his existence. It seems jesus even studied buddha's teachings :-D coz they are similar.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 1:41pm On Apr 06, 2017
Wilgrea7:

are you yet a guru?

Not a guru. Gurus are found in Sikhism not Buddhism. Buddhism only have monks, not yet a monk.

does Buddhism deal much with rituals?
Depending on type of buddhism. Pure land buddhism (the ones you see in chinese movies) practice little ritual not with blood but by chanting, reading dhamapada, e.t.c. But Zen buddhism have nothing to do with ritual, all they do is to meditate.
Buddhism is strongly against any ritual that requires blood.

does Buddhism believe in energy vampires? if yes then how can someone cure them?
tbt haven't heard about that, you can tell me more about it.

what's your take on divine healing

The mind is very powerful. I believe miracles/divine healings are products of our thoughts.

please forgive my questions... but there are many wonderful things i wish to learn about Buddhism..

I'm here to learn also. The universe is a mystery you know.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by orisa37: 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2017
I, too.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by orisa37: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2017
Please teach us about the four noble truths and the eightfold paths. In Christianity, Jesus is The Ways, The Truths and The Life.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2017
Chi energy activated grin
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 06, 2017
orisa37:
Please teach us about the four noble truths and the eightfold paths. In Christianity, Jesus is The Ways, The Truths and The Life.
Okay. I will explain the four noble truths. Typing...

MODIFIED

I'm done.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 06, 2017
1. Truth of Suffering

Buddha teaches that humans are subject to three sufferings: old age, illness and death. But to Buddha suffering is more deep than those three since human are subject to desires. We can't satisfy all our desires and even those we satisfy are only temporary. Though some see this truth as pessimistic but Buddha was only realistic because no one can deny this truth about suffering. Buddha didn't stop there, he told us the cause of suffering and how to stop it.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 06, 2017
2. Truth of Cause of all sufferings.

Guatama claimed that the root of all sufferings is Tanha. Tanha means desire. These desire can be categorized into three:

1. Greed.
2. Ignorance or delusion.
3. Hatred or destructive urge.

All sufferings can be traced to these three listed above.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2017
3. Truth of end of suffering

Buddha taught that suffering ends when we attain nirvana i.e become enlightened. Nirvana does not take place after death but here on earth. When one attain nirvana he must have distattached himself from these desires and then he finds these unique joy in everything. He will be free from this painful cycle of rebirth.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 06, 2017
The Truth Of The Path To End Of Suffering

Buddha found the middleway as a path to attain enlightenment. The middle way is also called the dhamawheel or eightfold path. The eightfold path to attain enlightenment and be free from the painful cycle of reincarnation are:

1. Right view.
2. Right resolve.
3. Right speech.
4. Right conduct.
5. Right livelihood.
6. Right effort.
7. Right mindfulness.
8. Right concentration through meditation.

Try researching on the eightfold path, i'm sorry my ba3 don low.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by orisa37: 8:23pm On Apr 06, 2017
These eight paths are just eight of the subsidiary sub Spirits of the Goodness of God in Christianity.
Re: Buddhist! Come In by PHPython: 10:19pm On Apr 06, 2017
orisa37:
These eight paths are just eight of the subsidiary sub Spirits of the Goodness of God in Christianity.
Buddha existed before jesus
Re: Buddhist! Come In by orisa37: 3:59am On Apr 07, 2017
PHPython:
Buddha existed before jesus

The Creator of Heaven and Earth, GOD, must be Buddha in your Tongue and Understanding. That Creator, God, Buddha to you is Jesus Christ, Son of The Holy Spirit, Who descended from GODSPHERE in Heaven to This Earth to REDEEM THE FAITHFULS. He was GOD, YHWH, YAHWEH, JEHOVAH, BUDDHA, OLODUMARE etcetera in The Beginning, He is now and SHALL BE FOR EVER. He is The same God, Allah(Anobi ISA) in Arabic Who gave Quran to Mohammed. He's everlasting. Do you understand now?
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 07, 2017
This is the only part that's closer to the truth.. Ride on!
Re: Buddhist! Come In by Horus(m): 1:49pm On Apr 08, 2017

1 Like

Re: Buddhist! Come In by Nobleking2000(m): 10:05pm On Apr 08, 2017
orisa37:

The Creator of Heaven and Earth, GOD, must be Buddha in your Tongue and Understanding. That Creator, God, Buddha to you is Jesus Christ, Son of The Holy Spirit, Who descended from GODSPHERE in Heaven to This Earth to REDEEM THE FAITHFULS. He was GOD, YHWH, YAHWEH, JEHOVAH, BUDDHA, OLODUMARE etcetera in The Beginning, He is now and SHALL BE FOR EVER. He is The same God, Allah(Anobi ISA) in Arabic Who gave Quran to Mohammed. He's everlasting. Do you understand now?

All of them are not the same because they have different ways of talking to their god.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch This Earth Moving Testimony About His Holiness Olumba Olumba Obu / WORLD IN SHOCK: 300 Dead, 1,450 Injured, 50 Kidnapped, Netanyahu Vows Revenge…. / The Significant Of Moses And Elijah In The Transfiguration Of Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.