Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? (461 Views)

Ict Skills Of Relevance / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director / I Have HND In Microbiology And I Want To Advance. Kindly Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? by knifeedge: 8:37pm On Apr 08, 2017
Hi guys,

This is my first time of posting kon this platform. I hope I get a favourable advise from you guys. Please pardon me if I remain anonymous. Just call me easy

I used to work with an event planning back in Lagos sometimes last year, as a senior staff, I had traveled out of the country to represent the company. Fast forward to dec, 2016. I got an offer to be a Manager at a luxury Event Centre in the North. I had to relocate, left my wife and children in Lagos to take up the job. though, my wife wasn't pleased with it because she felt ladies would disturb me as usual, don't blame her for being jealous , her husband is a lady's man.

My engagement I was told by the HR was due to the fact that I am a luxury event decorator, so they needed me to replicate that in the event centre. I was indeed very happy not because I got the job but I could bring to life the decoration ideas I had conceived all these while. My first event came and everyone was impressed, the decor was the talk of town, I heard guests and vendors saying the person that did this most definitely came from Lagos.

My second Event came and the story changed, the Client paid but the management of the company couldn't release money to purchase some decoration items, I was confused, I had raised my client's expectation, showed her my design concept, she was very happy and promised to introduce someone else. I wrote several emails to the management demanding an explanation behind the new development, I was told to use the previous decoration items. It then dawned on me that the management doesn't know jack about event planning. My several tutorials didn't help, all I could think about was the reaction of my Client after over promising and under delivering.

After the event, I couldn't call my Client to ask how it went, told my secretary to do that on my behalf. I needed no soothsayer to tell me she was disappointed.

I reported this during post evaluation report, it was like I was speaking German. They turned deaf ears and told me to proceed to the next event. I thought of resigning, at least I need to protect my personal brand. I don't want it to get to the point that I will be termed a liar, also if I stay, I will most likely become irrelevant with regards to decoration, no exposure to current designs. On the other side, salary is steady (150k), official car, official i phone 7, well equipped office, have enough time and I hope to start my masters soon in the city. If I resign, will go back to Lagos and job hunt.

Please I need your advise on this

Thank you so so so much as you do so
Re: Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? by yomi007k(m): 11:02pm On Apr 08, 2017
Well same thing happened to me...
I used to work in a state in d middle belt as a doctor wt a govt institution but I realized d staff were dumb, lazy n evil minded. I was no longer happy cos I was losing my passion n wen u lose dt as a doctor, a monster is born. I was promised full employment n all dt ish but my mind no dey.

I later mustered up courage to head back to lag n under 2 weeks I got my game on full load. grin
Im very happy now... my skills r upgrading, job pays more, my team r just awesome , family is close, etc.

Wat u shud do is to plan ur moves right.. dont resign yet but mk sure u hv anoda job on standby

Or u cud chase d paper, save up n start ur own thing...u knw u will murder dem. grin
Re: Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? by KillerBeauty(f): 6:23am On Apr 09, 2017
Since you are very skilled in the job I advise you go independent.
Start up your own event company, get a loan and start with smaller client. Develop your brand from there it will be tough but worth it.
If you remain where you are now your skills will be useless in no time because you won't be able to put em to use. Management will keep on calling the shots and you will have to say yes sir.
Try to set up your own company but in that same north not in Lagos. Lagos is too competitive
Re: Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? by knifeedge: 10:08am On Apr 12, 2017
yomi007k:
Well same thing happened to me...
I used to work in a state in d middle belt as a doctor wt a govt institution but I realized d staff were dumb, lazy n evil minded. I was no longer happy cos I was losing my passion n wen u lose dt as a doctor, a monster is born. I was promised full employment n all dt ish but my mind no dey.

I later mustered up courage to head back to lag n under 2 weeks I got my game on full load. grin
Im very happy now... my skills r upgrading, job pays more, my team r just awesome , family is close, etc.

Wat u shud do is to plan ur moves right.. dont resign yet but mk sure u hv anoda job on standby

Or u cud chase d paper, save up n start ur own thing...u knw u will murder dem. grin
thank you so much. Appreciate
Re: Kindly Advise. Money Or Relevance In The Industry? by knifeedge: 10:09am On Apr 12, 2017
KillerBeauty:
Since you are very skilled in the job I advise you go independent.
Start up your own event company, get a loan and start with smaller client. Develop your brand from there it will be tough but worth it.
If you remain where you are now your skills will be useless in no time because you won't be able to put em to use. Management will keep on calling the shots and you will have to say yes sir.
Try to set up your own company but in that same north not in Lagos. Lagos is too competitive
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Business Executives And Market Analysts / Private Sector Vs Public Sector / Top Management Practices To Maximize Employee Motivation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.