Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,981 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel (513 Views)

Onubi, Retired Navy Admiral's Daughter, Driver Killed By Kidnappers In Kogi / Naval Personnel, Wife Arrested For Beating Man To Death / Navy Admiral, Daniel Ikoli Was Assassinated, He Didn't Commit Suicide – Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 09, 2017
TRIBUTE TO A HERO BY UA SIDI

THE EXIT OF AN EXCEPTIONALLY DISTINGUSHED ADMIRAL ( Rear Admiral TD IKOLI)
Our ships are dressed overall, our pennants are fluttering at half-mast, boatswain mates are piping the side, our right palms are aligned to right edges of our headgears, we are at attention.

Sir, your name had something extraordinary about it, it was like single musical instrument with multiple pleasing effects, like the Kora in the hands of the griot Toumani Diabate. In the naval community, the name IKOLI signifies; INCORRUPTIBILITY, COURAGE, SELFLESS SERVICE, RUTHLESS DETERMINATION, EXAMPLARY LEADERSHIP, INTEGRITY, HARDWORK, UNWAVERING LOYALTY AND VALOUR.
With these sterling qualities, we were not surprised when you were selected to serve on the Presidential Investigation Committee on Arms Procurement. We were also not surprised with the fantastic result the committee provided. We were not surprised when against the norm, the President, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, singled you out and promoted you to the enviable rank of REAR ADMIRAL, the peak any naval officer can aspire to reach. No, we were not surprised at all; we were only reminded that you were truly exceptional.

I never had the opportunity to serve directly under you, but the testimonies of those who were so lucky are astonishing. We know how you worked as a staff officer in various capacities at the Naval Headquarters; you were a ‘work-horse’ who served tirelessly and diligently to the best interest of the Nigerian Navy. We are aware of how you as the Captain, transformed NNS OBULA to become the ‘unofficial flag ship of the Warri Fleet’. And we all witnessed how you turned NNS BEECROFT around, how you restored her pride and dignity. I still recall when you came to our Base one morning, we were involved in an operation, you were the commander of that operation. You entered the briefing room in your signature dress ‘camouflage trouser and t shirt’, you greeted us and asked us if we were ready for the mission, we answered in the affirmative, then you said ‘gentlemen, I want to see those birds in the sky as soon as possible’. With these words alone, and with your presence you inspired us intensely. What I saw that morning was a commander who by his mere presence provided the needed operational guidance and motivation to his fighting force. I will always liken this to the brief but legendary pep talks of General Orde Wingate during the Burma Campaign. I also recall how you sat me down with Affi Atari and talked to us about how ‘we got it wrong as a people and what we have to do to restore our dignity and determine our destiny’.

Sir, we want you to know that, you are our own Admiral Mudimu and Admiral Higgs. You are our own Nelson, Gorkshkov and Yammamoto. We remember your fall like that of Lord Nelson during the Battle of Trafalgar. Like Nelson you fought hard and like Nelson, YOU HAVE DONE YOUR DUTY.

Dear ADMIRAL, your journey to Eternity via the the Immortal Oceans would be full of bliss, incandescence and music. Ancient mariners would rise from Davy Jones Lockers to accompany you, at the behest of the good Lord Neptune. There would be Flying Dutchmen, Tall Ships and Mother Cary’s chickens and Garlands of Evergreen all around. Ancestral spirits and the spirits of dead poets would enchant you with songs and sounds. Spirit-pirates would tremble at the sight of your fleet or when they catch a glimpse, through the lenses of their aged telescopes, of the immortal Admiral IKOLI standing firm in the bridge of HMS VICTORY (Nelson’s flag ship at Trafalgar). Sail on, Admiral, ride the waves and command the Immortal Seas, your sails would be full of wind, and your fleet would witness poetry and colour.

Sir, permit me to end this with a quatrain form Samuel Taylor Coledridge’s The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew,
The future followed free.
We were the first that ever burst
The silent sea.

Our pennants are fluttering at half-mast, my right palm is aligned to right edge of my beret, I am at attention

SAIL ON FLEET COMMANDER AND LOR

1 Like

Re: A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel by eezeribe(m): 12:49pm On Apr 09, 2017
OK
Re: A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel by excorperwheezy(m): 12:56pm On Apr 09, 2017
Whoever did this shall never know peace of mind. How can one decide to make another children fatherless and wife a widow then you expect to have yours intact ko? I don't blame the murderer but BUHARI for low or no employment to youths of Nigeria. R.I.P SIR!!!
Re: A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel by agog: 1:27pm On Apr 09, 2017
emekaeneh:
TRIBUTE TO A HERO BY UA SIDI

THE EXIT OF AN EXCEPTIONALLY DISTINGUSHED ADMIRAL ( Rear Admiral TD IKOLI)
Our ships are dressed overall, our pennants are fluttering at half-mast, boatswain mates are piping the side, our right palms are aligned to right edges of our headgears, we are at attention.

Sir, your name had something extraordinary about it, it was like single musical instrument with multiple pleasing effects, like the Kora in the hands of the griot Toumani Diabate. In the naval community, the name IKOLI signifies; INCORRUPTIBILITY, COURAGE, SELFLESS SERVICE, RUTHLESS DETERMINATION, EXAMPLARY LEADERSHIP, INTEGRITY, HARDWORK, UNWAVERING LOYALTY AND VALOUR.
With these sterling qualities, we were not surprised when you were selected to serve on the Presidential Investigation Committee on Arms Procurement. We were also not surprised with the fantastic result the committee provided. We were not surprised when against the norm, the President, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, singled you out and promoted you to the enviable rank of REAR ADMIRAL, the peak any naval officer can aspire to reach. No, we were not surprised at all; we were only reminded that you were truly exceptional.

I never had the opportunity to serve directly under you, but the testimonies of those who were so lucky are astonishing. We know how you worked as a staff officer in various capacities at the Naval Headquarters; you were a ‘work-horse’ who served tirelessly and diligently to the best interest of the Nigerian Navy. We are aware of how you as the Captain, transformed NNS OBULA to become the ‘unofficial flag ship of the Warri Fleet’. And we all witnessed how you turned NNS BEECROFT around, how you restored her pride and dignity. I still recall when you came to our Base one morning, we were involved in an operation, you were the commander of that operation. You entered the briefing room in your signature dress ‘camouflage trouser and t shirt’, you greeted us and asked us if we were ready for the mission, we answered in the affirmative, then you said ‘gentlemen, I want to see those birds in the sky as soon as possible’. With these words alone, and with your presence you inspired us intensely. What I saw that morning was a commander who by his mere presence provided the needed operational guidance and motivation to his fighting force. I will always liken this to the brief but legendary pep talks of General Orde Wingate during the Burma Campaign. I also recall how you sat me down with Affi Atari and talked to us about how ‘we got it wrong as a people and what we have to do to restore our dignity and determine our destiny’.

Sir, we want you to know that, you are our own Admiral Mudimu and Admiral Higgs. You are our own Nelson, Gorkshkov and Yammamoto. We remember your fall like that of Lord Nelson during the Battle of Trafalgar. Like Nelson you fought hard and like Nelson, YOU HAVE DONE YOUR DUTY.

Dear ADMIRAL, your journey to Eternity via the the Immortal Oceans would be full of bliss, incandescence and music. Ancient mariners would rise from Davy Jones Lockers to accompany you, at the behest of the good Lord Neptune. There would be Flying Dutchmen, Tall Ships and Mother Cary’s chickens and Garlands of Evergreen all around. Ancestral spirits and the spirits of dead poets would enchant you with songs and sounds. Spirit-pirates would tremble at the sight of your fleet or when they catch a glimpse, through the lenses of their aged telescopes, of the immortal Admiral IKOLI standing firm in the bridge of HMS VICTORY (Nelson’s flag ship at Trafalgar). Sail on, Admiral, ride the waves and command the Immortal Seas, your sails would be full of wind, and your fleet would witness poetry and colour.

Sir, permit me to end this with a quatrain form Samuel Taylor Coledridge’s The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew,
The future followed free.
We were the first that ever burst
The silent sea.

Our pennants are fluttering at half-mast, my right palm is aligned to right edge of my beret, I am at attention

SAIL ON FLEET COMMANDER AND LOR

may his soul rest in peace and May assailants be found!

1 Like

Re: A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 09, 2017
Sail on great Sailor....
Re: A Tribute To Navy Admiral By A Naval Personnel by ray48: 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2017
May his soul rest in perfect peace.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria ‘gay Wedding’ Bust Leads To Charges / BVN Fraudsters Alert (read) / Woman Locks Her 3 Step Children In Room Hoping They Would Starve To Death (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.