Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Lipsticks For Thick Lips - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Lipsticks For Thick Lips (16028 Views)

Whats The Difference Between THICK And FAT / Darkening Of The Lips - Causes & Remedies / Pink Lips: Fashion Trend For Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 30, 2009
What are the best colours for thick lips, taking complexion into considertion as well?
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by spikedcylinder: 5:20am On Dec 30, 2009
Except on special occasions, people with thick lips ought to stick to simple, nude colours.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 5:21am On Dec 30, 2009
I use lip gloss all the time but I'll be 21 soon and I want to try matured make up.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by mohawkchic(f): 6:04am On Dec 30, 2009
~Lip gloss suits you tho. . i happen to think Lipgloss on Fuller lips is flattering especially if you dont want to draw attention to your lips w/ bold colours. . still people w/ fuller lips are rocking bold lippy/colours that suits their skin tones or in some cases, dont suit them at all!!

~Hitting google in a mo to get you info on Types of lippys you cud experiment w/ till you find what suits you. . . & recommended colours for your skin tone. . .
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by mohawkchic(f): 6:11am On Dec 30, 2009
~Shade of Skin
There is a full proof way of picking the right lipstick shade for the skin tone. Match the shade of lipstick (or stay within the same tones) to the inner color of the lip. When the lip is in an exaggerated pout, that is the perfect color of lipstick. The shade will most likely be the same shade or slightly darker than the natural lip color. This is full proof, and guarantees the perfect shade for anyone.

Lipstick Formulas
There are many lipstick formulas. Depending on the desired look as well as the shape the lips are in will determine the formula that is best.

~Matte: Matte lipstick will last the longest which also makes it the most drying. If the lips are already chapped this is not the right formula. It is also not the best for mature skin. Matte lipstick works great for darker shades of lipstick because they won’t smear like other formulas.

~Cream: Cream lipstick is the most popular. It is much more moisturizing than matte therefore works best for most women. It is a great place to start when trying to find the best formula.

~Long-wearing: [/b]Long-wearing lipstick is the best way to age the lips. It is very dry causing the lips to age faster.

[b]~Frost:
Frost has a metallic finish to it, making it light reflective. This is perfect for younger girls. It is also a good layering lipstick.

~Shimmer: Shimmer will provide a shine without being as drying or teenage looking as frost. The coverage is light but will work for most women. This is a great formula to get fuller, younger looking lips

~Play around with the lipstick formulas to find the right one. It may be necessary to play with a couple different types. Always remember the more moisture the lipstick provides the better it will be for the lips, but it will not last very long.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by mohawkchic(f): 6:17am On Dec 30, 2009
How do you choose which lipstick colors will look best on you? As for all women of any ethnicity, your biggest consideration is your complexion.

Light: If your skin falls into the lighter range of African American skin tones, these color will look good on you:

Pale to deep pink
Peach
Taupe
Red
Medium

For medium-toned women, look into these lipstick colors:

Red
Medium to deep pink
Bronze
Magenta
Medium to deep brown

Dark:If your skin is dark and rich, try these shades:

Deep red
Fuchsia
Magenta
Chocolate brown
Bronze

~Don't think that just because your skin is in the darker range that you can't wear colors that look fabulous on lighter skin. Instead, experiment! While you can't do this with drugstore cosmetics, you can always visit the makeup counter at a department store to test colors. You may find lipstick colors for African American women that you never thought you could wear. There are pink and red shades that flatter all skin tones, so even if you thought you could never wear pink, if you find the right shade, you'll see that you can definitely wear it and look great in it!

Wear it Right
Even though women with darker skin tones can often wear bold shades that may overpower fairer skin, keep in mind the occasion and place. No matter what your complexion, too much gloss and bright lipstick is still a no-no for a regular office environment. Nighttime is the time to wear brighter and more dramatic shades.

If you love bold lipstick, however, you can make it work for day. Just make that the focus of your face and keep the rest of your makeup subdued. Red lipstick is a classic and looks good on any woman, once she finds the perfect shade for her. You can wear red lip color with lightly lined eyes, mascara and a small amount of blush for a look that's suitable for anywhere, including the office.

Which Brands?
While there are cosmetic lines devoted to women of color, you can find flattering and complementary lipstick colors virtually anywhere, for all skin shades. Even mainstream brands feature colors that range from very light to very dark. Because lipstick is usually a fairly inexpensive item, feel free to experiment.

You can also create your own custom colors by mixing two or more lipstick shades if you're having trouble finding the perfect one. Plus, it's always a good idea to have several options on hand, ranging from light to dark lipsticks. This gives you choices when you're getting ready for the day.

Inspiration
If you don't know where to start as far as choosing lipstick, look at magazines for models or celebrities whose skin tone is similar to yours. See what cosmetic colors they wear and if it really looks good on them; then you can shop for your own.  makeup.lovetoknow.com/Lipstick_Colors_for_African_American_Women
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 30, 2009
Thank you. You have been very useful.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by mohawkchic(f): 6:48am On Dec 30, 2009
~No Woories. . A Real easy option will be going to the mall & have consultants  for Cosmetics Brands for women of colour try out/recommend some colours for you. . .

~maccosmetics.co.uk/ imancosmetics.com/ are usually recommended for great shades of lippys. . .tho expensive!
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 6:55am On Dec 30, 2009
Love all the tips mohawkchic gave.

@Poster, your lips look great with lipgloss, why not try a strongly tinted lipgloss, Mac have some.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 30, 2009
The problem is I live in Italy and they don't know jack about women of colour. I can't even find the right foundation for my skin. It's saddening. There are so many reasons to flee this country. cry cry
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 7:14am On Dec 30, 2009
michelin89:

The problem is I live in Italy and they don't know jack about women of colour. I can't even find the right foundation for my skin. It's saddening. There are so many reasons to flee this country. cry cry

michelin89, Are you sure they do not have a good department store near your home/work.

Honestly you do not need to go the heavy duty make-up way, you look like you have good skin, forget Foundation for now, use tinted face cream, foundy can look so cakey on black skin light or dark. It's very hard to find the right match, but if you must, go online and get samples sent to you.

Lipgloss, mascara and your eyeliner will just enhance your look, to me that's all you need.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 30, 2009
madlady:

michelin89, Are you sure they do not have a good department store near your home/work.

Honestly you do not need to go the heavy duty make-up way, you look like you have good skin, forget Foundation for now, use tinted face cream, foundy can look so cakey on black skin light or dark. It's very hard to find the right match, but if you must, go online and get samples sent to you.

Lipgloss, mascara and your eyeliner will just enhance your look, to me that's all you need.

There are some stores in the nearby city but the last time I was there I was disappointed. But I heard of a new one they have just opened. I hope I'll be luckier this time.

Lipgloss, mascara and eyeliner are all I use coupled with a foundation. But when you don't wear the right colour you get the white effect in pictures.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 7:31am On Dec 30, 2009
michelin89:

There are some stores in the nearby city but the last time I was there I was disappointed. But I heard of a new one they have just opened. I hope I'll be luckier this time.

But when you don't wear the right colour you get the white effect in pictures.

That is what I call the the "cakey look"

Ok let me think back to the days I use to work in a department store and had to wear the full glam look, Fashion fair, Mac and one other brand.
You should go for the the Yellow based tones, NEVER EVER pink or the other tone they recommend for us black ppls. Have you tried prescriptive, they make up foundy for you, cost a bit more but could be the way to go for you.

Do not wear a real heavy lipstick, it will sit in the lines on your lip, not nice, just use a strong tinted lipgloss, benetints rubbish for us blacks, so go for a very good brand.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 30, 2009
Good suggestions so far but experts, what can one do to discourage those little clogged pores around the lip when one uses lipsticks and lip liner? I had to stop using lip products because of that and just use good ol' vaseline and those things have gone. Maybe I will just be a vaseline girl for life cry cry
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by spikedcylinder: 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2009
Michelin,
Just a thought, what kind of foundation do you use? I ask because you said they know little about beauty for black women. You might not really need a separate foundation, yer know?
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 7:38pm On Dec 30, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Good suggestions so far but experts, what can one do to discourage those little clogged pores around the lip when one uses lipsticks and lip liner? I had to stop using lip products because of that and just use good ol' vaseline and those things have gone. Maybe I will just be a vaseline girl for life cry cry

Hi, Have you tried an organic lipstick, maybe even "presciptive" might be fine for you. Try a sample size from ebay. kiss

Do you use lipliner, maybe leave that off undecided, they have too many funny ingredients to help them stay put on the lip, my mate wears that, it makes her lips look dry.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by mamagee3(f): 8:22pm On Dec 30, 2009
Use red or gray Lipstick, it
looks good on people with thick lips
. tongue
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 1:28am On Dec 31, 2009
madlady:

Hi, Have you tried an organic lipstick, maybe even "presciptive" might be fine for you. Try a sample size from ebay. kiss

Do you use lipliner, maybe leave that off undecided, they have too many funny ingredients to help them stay put on the lip, my mate wears that, it makes her lips look dry.
Hi hun, where can I get organic lipstick from? From what I know Prescriptive line is discontinued, Yes lipliners are horrible, when I used them they clogged my pores. I envy folks that can wear lip products with out problems sad
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 4:11am On Dec 31, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Hi hun, where can I get organic lipstick from? From what I know Prescriptive line is discontinued, Yes lipliners are horrible, when I used them they clogged my pores. I envy folks that can wear lip products with out problems sad

Hi baby, some time since I worked at "H" so did not know that about Prescriptiveshocked.

You can get organic lipstick from NATURISIMO, go online you will see they have a large range.

I only wear lipgloss "Bigelow", to be honest I only wear it because I think it must be good for your lips, I normally forget to put it on. kiss
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 31, 2009
madlady:

Hi baby, some time since I worked at "H" so did not know that about Prescriptiveshocked.

You can get organic lipstick from NATURISIMO, go online you will see they have a large range.

I only wear lipgloss "Bigelow", to be honest I only wear it because I think it must be good for your lips, I normally forget to put it on. kiss
Yes they are discontinuing their line in Jan and me I hate buying and getting used to products that are going to be discontinued. Have you tried any lip products from NATURISMO? I like what I see so far from there. TBH vaseline has served me well grin but me sef I want to be glamorous too in 010 grin grin
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 4:37pm On Dec 31, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Yes they are discontinuing their line in Jan and me I hate buying and getting used to products that are going to be discontinued. Have you tried any lip products from NATURISMO? I like what I see so far from there. TBH vaseline has served me well grin but me sef I want to be glamorous too in 010 grin grin

Ebonyeyes, I have the Green People range,   in pink unclothed/natural, it's very cheap but nice texture. I use it I am really going out, not glam but could be if I vamp it up. It comes in a few shades, a very nice berry red if you want to go super glam kiss
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 31, 2009
madlady:

Ebonyeyes, I have the Green People range,   in pink unclothed/natural, it's very cheap but nice texture. I use it I am really going out, not glam but could be if I vamp it up. It comes in a few shades, a very nice berry red if you want to go super glam kiss
Hey hun, is that from the NATURISMO page? please can you paste the link in here for me to see smiley Thanks.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 7:27pm On Dec 31, 2009
If you go on to the lipsticks,then green people, you will see the full list of ingredients. kiss

Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 31, 2009
madlady:

If you go on to the lipsticks,then green people, you will see the full list of ingredients. kiss
Thanks hun. Thing is I dont know what Im reacting to so im extremely cautious with what I put on my lips.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 8:26pm On Dec 31, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Thanks hun. Thing is I dont know what Im reacting to so im extremely cautious with what I put on my lips.

Yes I see. It cost £10.00 so could still be worth a try,or go on ebay and see if any dealers have it.You could get it for about 5. kiss
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 31, 2009
Thanks hun, your a star kiss
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by soreola(f): 3:33am On Mar 17, 2010
mohawkchic:

~Lip gloss suits you tho. . i happen to think Lipgloss on Fuller lips is flattering especially if you dont want to draw attention to your lips w/ bold colours. . still people w/ fuller lips are rocking bold lippy/colours that suits their skin tones or in some cases, dont suit them at all!!

~Hitting google in a mo to get you info on Types of lippys you cud experiment w/ till you find what suits you. . . & recommended colours for your skin tone. . .

are you sure about the lipgloss cause i found out a while ago that lipgloss draws more attention to the lips and if one has fuller lips they should avoid lipgloss. I guess it cause it shiny and draws a lot of attention.
I guess if its not too much then it ok, im not sure sha,
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2010
Actually I am very shy about using too much make up. These days I just use powder, eyeliner and mascara.

But I want to upgrade. I'll be 21 soon and I need to be more posh.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by madlady(f): 8:55am On Mar 18, 2010
^^That's all you need, you have good skin and you look fresh,  you should not need the full works
     Foundation can make you look grey or ashy (not used in the street walker term) black skin can be hard to match foundation wise.
     Try tinted moisturiser, go for a non-greasy type.

I don't now why but I hate the full make-up look embarassed
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by shilling(f): 4:53am On Mar 21, 2010
michelin89:

Actually I am very shy about using too much make up. These days I just use powder, eyeliner and mascara.

But I want to upgrade. I'll be 21 soon and I need to be more posh.
I guess it depends on how much makeup you'll like to wear. Some people prefer to look like they have makeup on, I prefer the natural look - Unclad colours.

I've been using Clinique for a while now and it's been really good. I use the perfectly real makeup line - foundation and powder. Eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow (sometimes) and vaseline . . . hate lipstick/lip gloss. When I use lipstick, I use L'Oreal Linda Evengelista 809 Beige . . . it looks really natural.

I'm in a city, which has an insignificant black population and my guess is that almost wherever you are, you'll be able to find a clinique counter. A professional will find the right makeup to match your skin tone.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by dermastore(f): 11:48am On Feb 08, 2017
Applying lipstick like Angelina Jolie

Foundations – First, apply foundation to cover the edge of your upper lip that matches exactly your skin tone. This is important when it will come to applying lip liner, lipstick and other lip makeup on your lips.

Lip Liner – Secondly, apply a good quality lip liner in a way that it is a bit inside the outer edge of your lips to make the edge of your lips to appear as if they are not part of your lips.

Lipstick – If you want to wear a good lipstick, you can now apply without going beyond your lip liner. This is very important.

Lip Gloss – When using lip gloss on your lips, you should apply it only at the center of your lips and evenly spread it on your lips. Avoid applying lip gloss on your entire lips since it will only make them fuller and hence much thicker.
Re: Lipsticks For Thick Lips by mskwigs(f): 3:01pm On Feb 08, 2017
TRAINING! TRAINING!! TRAINING!!!
Be a part of our intensive wig training classes
Learn to make different styles into wigs for yourself or for business purposes.
In the training classes you will learn how to make and construct flawless wigs with frontal closure or artificial (man- made) closure.
In this training, the following styles on wig will be taught :
Installation of lace wig and frontal
Installation of invisible closing
Installation of Man-made closure (for synthetic weaves)
Fringes
DIY bangs & ponytails
Develop yourself skills and learn amazing new things/tips about your hair/weaves, wig customization and how to successfully build and run your own business.
REGISTRATION DETAILS
Registration will only be valid after payment is made and confirmed via a mail from us.
DATES
1st Session (SAT, 4th of March 2017) ONLY 30 SEATS AVAILABLE AVAILABLE
2nd Session (SAT, 11th of March) ONLY 30 SEATS AVAILABLE
FEE- N3,500
VENUE- Kesspeakz Koncept, 4th floor UBA bank building, U-turn B/stop, Abulegba Lagos.
WIG BUSINESS IS VERY LUCRATIVE....TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Likas Papaya Soap / Learn How To Cut And Sew For Children's Clothes (easy And Adorable Styles) / Learn How To Cut And Sew Turbans and Fascinators Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.