Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

How To Cook Chicken Stew - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook Chicken Stew (5599 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cook Chicken Stew by naijatoday: 12:21am On Dec 30, 2009
Can someone please tell me step by step how to make normal stew (using chicken). Thanks.
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by mohawkchic(f): 5:29am On Dec 30, 2009
~I suppose everyone cooks theirs different but thhe end result is still Chicken Stew. . .here's how i cook mine & a pic of what its suppose to look like!

~Disclaimer!! grin I didnt actually cook this stew! tongue But it wasnt cooked any different to how i cook mine!

~Ingredients~
~Oil
~Chicken
~Onions
~Sweet Pepper
~Plum Tomatoes/Tomato Puree
~Season to taste:Black Pepper,maggie cube,thyme

~Season the chicken. . if i'm using Boiler chicken,i stem the chicken w/ a lil bit of water. . .(i sometimes add the stock to tender the onions)
~I heat oil in the pot & brown the chicken well. . .
~Slice the onions chopped/blended w/ pepper into pot & fry on low heat so it wont burn before it's cooked
~Add Plum tomotoes & sliced sweet pepper to onions that shud be almost tender now
~Add chicken to stew,add thyme,season to taste. . .then simmer on low heat for 5-10 mins
~Optional:For "red look" add a teaspoon of tomato puree

~Viola! Simples! Hope its an easy way for you to try. . .
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by Nobody: 5:33am On Dec 30, 2009
OMG!!! That looks so yummmy. . . . I gotta try it out!!!

When I get back to school, got a lot of cooking to do kiss
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by mohawkchic(f): 5:54am On Dec 30, 2009
~Tis Yummy! grin Ate the left-over from X-mas yesterday!! You shud try it! Lemme know if & when you do! wink
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 30, 2009
mohawkchic:

~Tis Yummy! grin Ate the left-over from X-mas yesterday!! You shud try it! Lemme know if & when you do! wink

I have most of the ingredients, so it shouldnt take me long to try it.

You think the taste will be greatly altered if I replace maggi cube with knorr cube?
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by naijatoday: 5:49pm On Dec 30, 2009
Thanks.

My problem is the[b] time[/b], like how long will i cook the stew before I add chicken and that kind of stuff. That is were I usually have problems.
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2009
naijatoday:

Thanks.

My problem is the[b] time[/b], like how long will i cook the stew before I add chicken and that kind of stuff. That is were I usually have problems.

Boil the blended tomatoes/peppers/onions for about 20mins, add the chicken water +spices (maggie, thyme, pepper, curry), allow to boil again for another 20mins then add the chicken. Thats how I do mine and it comes out looking great. Good luck.
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by mohawkchic(f): 11:30pm On Dec 30, 2009
FL Gators:

I have most of the ingredients, so it shouldnt take me long to try it.

You think the taste will be greatly altered if I replace maggi cube with knorr cube?

~Oh okies. . . .

~I very much doubt using Knorr will make it taste any different! Are you on about Knorr stock cube?
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by mohawkchic(f): 11:34pm On Dec 30, 2009
naijatoday:

Thanks.

~No Worries! How is your timing a problem? I dont get it!

~I usually add the chicken when the onions,plum tomato,red pepper is tender. . almost to the point when all there is to do is for the stew to simmer for 5-10 minutes more. . .

~One of my gf actually fries her chicken then adds onions,plum tomato etc. . . same difference!
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
mohawkchic:

~Oh okies. . . .

~I very much doubt using Knorr will make it taste any different! A[b]re you on about Knorr stock cube?[/b]

Yup!
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by biina: 12:55am On Dec 31, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Boil the blended tomatoes/peppers/onions for about 20mins, add the chicken water +spices (maggie, thyme, pepper, curry), allow to boil again for another 20mins then add the chicken. Thats how I do mine and it comes out looking great. Good luck.
A different take
1. Steam the chicken + onions + (dried pepper or any other spices you want to add) till the chicken is cooked and no longer pink. Can add a little water if the chicken doesn't  secrete enough broth.

Option 1 (results in more like a fried stew) .
2.  Withdraw the chicken and drain the broth into a bowl,
3. Heat small oil and fry the chicken briefly/sparingly.
4. Using the oil from frying the chicken (not necessarily all, might be better to start with a smaller qty and add later if needed) add the tomato and pepper. If the pepper and tomato are blend separate, add the pepper first to the oil, and let it cook/fry a bit before adding the tomato (as the tomato is more tender).
5. Add broth back and cook on low heat.
6. Add chicken back and continue on low heat for a few mins

Option 2 (results in a more traditional soup).
2. If you prefer the chicken to be firm, and are worried about over cooking it, withdraw the chicken
3. Add tomato and pepper to the broth. If the pepper and tomato are blend separate, add the pepper first to the broth. let it cook a bit before adding the tomato.
4. Add oil as desired and cook on low heat.
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by sweetpie23: 5:02pm On Dec 31, 2009
mohawkchic:

~I suppose everyone cooks theirs different but thhe end result is still Chicken Stew. . .here's how i cook mine & a pic of what its suppose to look like!

~Disclaimer!! grin I didnt actually cook this stew! tongue But it wasnt cooked any different to how i cook mine!

~Ingredients~
~Oil
~Chicken
~Onions
~Sweet Pepper
~Plum Tomatoes/Tomato Puree
~Season to taste:Black Pepper,maggie cube,thyme

~Season the chicken. . if i'm using Boiler chicken,i stem the chicken w/ a lil bit of water. . .(i sometimes add the stock to tender the onions)
~I heat oil in the pot & brown the chicken well. . .
~Slice the onions chopped/blended w/ pepper into pot & fry on low heat so it wont burn before it's cooked
~Add Plum tomotoes & sliced sweet pepper to onions that shud be almost tender now
~Add chicken to stew,add thyme,season to taste. . .then simmer on low heat for 5-10 mins
~Optional:For "red look" add a teaspoon of tomato puree

~Viola! Simples! Hope its an easy way for you to try. . .

yum yum yum I want to eat, am going to eat now!
Re: How To Cook Chicken Stew by mohawkchic(f): 5:20pm On Dec 31, 2009
~ cheesy Enjoy!

(1) (Reply)

Making Egusi Soup (pictures) / Exquisite Cake Pictures From Sugar Rush Cakes / Buyers And Marketers Of Vitamin A Cassava( GARRI) Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.