Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,540 members, 7,770,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:24 AM

Making Egusi Soup (pictures) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Making Egusi Soup (pictures) (5561 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / How I Made Low Budget Goat Head Bitter Leaf Egusi Soup / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:15pm On Dec 22, 2014
I had previously shared me making Ogbono soup. this is me making Egusi soup

INGREDIENTS:
1. Chicken
2. Fresh Fish, Beef, Gizzard
3. Egusi
4. Dried prawns

1 Share

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:17pm On Dec 22, 2014
5. Vegetable (Spinach)
6. Palm Oil, Maggi, Salt, Fresh pepper.

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
NOW TO THE COOKING ITSELF.

7. Steamed the chicken separately
8. Steamed the Beef separately
9. Then added the gizzard to the pot of beef.

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:24pm On Dec 22, 2014
10. Preparing the fresh fish, cos I intend roasting it.
11. salt, maggi, pepper and a bit of palm oil to rub on the fish before roasting.
12. After rubbing the mixture with the fish
13. In the Oven

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:27pm On Dec 22, 2014
14. Fish is ready.
15. heating Palm oil
16. Adding the Egusi
17. Consistent stirring.

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:35pm On Dec 22, 2014
18. Add water as required
19. Then all the meat, I only have pics of when I have added the fish. but the fish was second to the last thing I added.
20. Add maggi, salt and pepper to taste.
21. After letting the pot boil for a while, I now added the vegetable. 2 mins later soup is ready.
22. My friend was the first to eat from it.

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:43pm On Dec 22, 2014
Ladies and Gentlemen, my humble self.
Thanks for viewing, corrections on how to make the soup better next time is more than welcomed. I also made Okra soup and Stew this morning which I will open a thread for later. its going to be a long holiday of eating and Netflix grin

CC: SAMBARRY, jessyz, curve, lilimax and the rest, how did I do this time?

1 Like

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 22, 2014
That looks good, I bet it tastes just as great.

Btw, they now package egusi? Taa

1 Like

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by mathmatica: 7:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
You should have added tomatoes to it....gives a unique taste especially if you substitute the vegetable for bitterleaf
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Lilimax(f): 12:48am On Dec 23, 2014
Well done Martynsnet! You're surely a good cook no doubt. smiley However, Egusi soup usually tastes good and yummy when fried in palm oil before adding water and other ingredients. smiley I would advise you to try it next time wink Use water to pre-mix the egwusi before frying in red oil till the water dries; it usually give your egusi soup an appealing look and it tastes better. Bless you.

1 Like

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Pavore9: 2:36am On Dec 23, 2014
martynsnet:
Thanks for viewing, corrections on how to make the soup better next time is more than welcomed. I also made Okra soup and Stew this morning which I will open a thread for later. its going to be a long holiday of eating and Netflix grin

Let a Kenyan catch you putting fish and meat in the soup...tufiakwa it is an abomination for them! grin

That your garri looks like ljebu garri grin! Me am cooking my own Egusi soup on the 24th and it is going down with Semolina cool l will use all you listed except for the fresh pepper and spinach as l will be using ground cameroun pepper for it has this flavour it brings to the meal, not also forgetting my uziza seeds, using ukazi for the vegetable.
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 8:35am On Dec 23, 2014
Lilimax:
Well done Martynsnet! You're surely a good cook no doubt. smiley However, Egusi soup usually tastes good and yummy when fried in palm oil before adding water and other ingredients. smiley I would advise you to try it next time wink Use water to pre-mix the egwusi before frying in ted oil till the water dries; it usually give your egusi soup an appealing look and it tastes better. Bless you.

tnx a lot Lily, will try it. what is "ted oil"?

1 Like

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 8:37am On Dec 23, 2014
Pavore9:
Let a Kenyan catch you putting fish and meat in the soup...tufiakwa it is an abomination for them! grin

That your garri looks like ljebu garri grin! Me am cooking my own Egusi soup on the 24th and it is going down with Semolina cool l will use all you listed except for the fresh pepper and spinach as l will be using ground cameroun pepper for it has this flavour it brings to the meal, not also forgetting my uziza seeds, using ukazi for the vegetable.

lol at tufiakwa. cant find all those uzziza and ukazi stuffs over, I may have eaten a food containing them, but wouldn't even recognize it if i see it.
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Pavore9: 8:57am On Dec 23, 2014
martynsnet:

lol at tufiakwa. cant find all those uzziza and ukazi stuffs over, I may have eaten a food containing them, but wouldn't even recognize it if i see it.
well l make sure they are sent over to me.
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Lilimax(f): 12:55pm On Dec 23, 2014
martynsnet:

tnx a lot Lily, will try it. what is "ted oil"?
oops! Typo...I meant red oil smiley
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 23, 2014
Wait, na dat small pot of soup get beef, chicken and fish?? angry angry angry shocked shocked shocked

Invite me na... cry cry
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:43pm On Dec 23, 2014
Lilimax:
oops! Typo...I meant red oil smiley

ok! I did fry it.
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by martynsnet: 2:46pm On Dec 23, 2014
tchidi:
Wait, na dat small pot of soup get beef, chicken and fish?? angry angry angry shocked shocked shocked

Invite me na... cry cry

lol and gizzard, I just like to have varieties. And you are more than welcomed am on vacation and need all the company I can get.
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by Akposy(m): 8:12pm On Dec 23, 2014
Oga...u tried
Next time add tomato paste....fry it first before adding d wet egusi
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by softandsweet(f): 7:07am On Dec 24, 2014
mathmatica:
You should have added tomatoes to it....gives a unique taste especially if you substitute the vegetable for bitterleaf
Yeah I'd prefer bitter leaf anytime any day. But ive never tried using tomatoes in eguisi oh..... I would experiment and see, smiley
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by hman4real(m): 10:44am On Dec 24, 2014
softandsweet:

Yeah I'd prefer bitter leaf anytime any day. But ive never tried using tomatoes in eguisi oh..... I would experiment and see, smiley

well done madam cook
Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by SAMBARRY: 8:16pm On Dec 26, 2014
You try cheesy
martynsnet:

Re: Making Egusi Soup (pictures) by SAMBARRY: 8:24pm On Dec 26, 2014
Op but instead of going through all that long journey why not mix the powdered egusi with blended tomato and pepper together. Pit it on fire to cook, add the water you used in cooking fish into it while on fire and leave it to cook together. Then when it's ready add the palm oil and water, onions for it to properly cook and then when the palm oil has properly cooked with the egusi add your vegetable then stirr and let all the vegetables swallow the egusi.put it back on fire and let the vegetable too cook with it and then bam after its ready add your fish etc to it. Lobatan. You tried though

it's a breath of fresh air seeing that men are waking up from their slumber and learning how to cook instead of depending u the women to do everything for them and even be at the mercy of your wife for food.

(1) (Reply)

How To Decorate A Cake- Please Help Urgently / My Food Journey In Khartoum, Sudan / How People Eat Chicken!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.