Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Https://lightspeaksblog./2017/04/10/whose-duty-is-it-to-cook/ - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Https://lightspeaksblog./2017/04/10/whose-duty-is-it-to-cook/ (436 Views)

PamelB My Wonderful Cook Church Crush (short Story) / The 365 Blog - Https://365dayswithoutborders./ / Https://365dayswithoutborders./ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Https://lightspeaksblog./2017/04/10/whose-duty-is-it-to-cook/ by Lightspeaksblog(m): 10:16pm On Apr 10, 2017
In a typical Nigerian culture, it is seen as a woman’s duty to cook for her husband and children. In fact, if you are a woman who does not know how to cook, you either are an alien or you fell off the sky…at least that is how people will see and address you. So this is obviously a culture that is part of the system and in reality culture is what makes us different. To those who hold on to this culture dearly, good for you. and to those who feel it does not make sense, good for you too, because i am not here to say what is wrong and what isn’t, just here to make people understand that people are different and so are our cultures, values and practices.

The only time i see this as a problem is when working class men expect their working class women to ALWAYS cook irrespective of how long her day has been or how busy she was. If you both go to work everyday and equally contribute to the home’s finances, why does it have to still solely be her duty to get into the kitchen and make you something to eat if you both had a busy day? This is where most feminists might see “cooking as a woman’s duty” to be wrong and unacceptable. (That is talk for another day.)

Americans on the other hand, don’t give a flying dog crap whose responsibility it is to cook. Anyone can take on that role at any point in time, and for them it is not usually a “man’s duty” or a “woman’s duty.”
Personally speaking, the only time it becomes a problem for me is when people who believe it is a woman’s duty to cook attack me or call me names just because i think it is not a woman’s duty to live in the kitchen. Now, because a fellow woman does not believe it is solely her duty to cook in the home, does not necessarily mean she will ignore kitchen duties. There are women who would happily cook for their family (me inclusive), for as long as possible, but that is because they want to or maybe they just enjoy cooking and don’t mind taking on kitchen duties, or maybe they are just better cooks than their men, or maybe they have all the time in their hands. But the thing is they don’t want it to be seen as just their duty because that position should be open to anyone who wants to.

So again, in the home, whose duty is it to cook? you answer that, and whatever answer you come up with, if it sits well with you, three gbosa for you.

Post was written by priscilla Jim not me!! follow her on twitter @slayscilla https://lightspeaksblog./2017/04/10/whose-duty-is-it-to-cook/ http://priscascilla..com.ng/

(1) (Reply)

Bring Joy And Happiness To Others And Society / An Inspiring Allegory About The Inception Of Yoruba Proverbs☞3 / They Said It But I Was Too Deaf To Listen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.