Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. (4753 Views)

Brabus' World's Most Powerful Twelve-cylinder SUV Is 4½ Times The Price Of G63 / Lexus Is250 Idle Poorly After Battery Change / 2007 Corolla P0016 + Cylinder Misfire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 11:18pm On Apr 11, 2017
Hellonall. Good evening all. Pls I hav a small issue with my reliable Camry 2004 I4 engine. Whenever I remove my battery to help someone start his or her car when I reconnect mine i always have cylinder 4 misfire. Have swapped iginition coils and have the same problem on cylinder four meaning that cylinder 4,ignition coil is good. also changed spark plug but notice th same misfire. The last time it happened I had to travel with the car for a long distance and all of a sudden the car behaved like it was brand new. Since den it has been wow. Now I help someone with my battery and the problem has showed up.again. any suggestions guys. Thanks all.. Cc Gazzuzz et al.
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by honmusa(m): 4:03am On Apr 12, 2017
mike070:
Hellonall. Good evening all. Pls I hav a small issue with my reliable Camry 2004 I4 engine. Whenever I remove my battery to help someone start his or her car when I reconnect mine i always have cylinder 4 misfire. Have swapped iginition coils and have the same problem on cylinder four meaning that cylinder 4,ignition coil is good. also changed spark plug but notice th same misfire. The last time it happened I had to travel with the car for a long distance and all of a sudden the car behaved like it was brand new. Since den it has been wow. Now I help someone with my battery and the problem has showed up.again. any suggestions guys. Thanks all.. Cc Gazzuzz et al.
There is no issue ,you are the cause of the issue ,battery is not meant to be removed , you are actually causing ECU to lose its memory if u are removing the battery .

2 Likes

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:57am On Apr 12, 2017
mike070:

do a cylinder drop test, find out if there is a spark on cylinder 4. Or with engine off, remove coil 4 attach a spark plug to it, and ground it, then start engine, you should see a consistent spark on spark plug.
If you don't find a spark, swap coil 4 with a different coil and try again.

What I think you have is a faulty coil pack.

3 Likes

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mayor2013: 6:20am On Apr 12, 2017
To the best of my knowledge. If your ride is a drive by wire you car is undergoing a relearn process since you pulled out the battery in order to help someone.

Another problem we can look at there is your charging system. I hope your car battery is ok and your alternator is charging your car optimally. Have seen cases like this were a failing charging system triggers a misfire
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 6:58am On Apr 12, 2017
honmusa:

There is no issue ,you are the cause of the issue ,battery is not meant to be removed , you are actually causing ECU to lose its memory if u are removing the battery .

Thanks honmuaa. So does it mean it the battery is bad u won't replace it. Well the main sluglishness if from idle and den when u puy on the ac car drags. I for nor borrow person battery o. Chaiii. Thanks boss. Buy any possibility Og a faulty injector?? What signs will I notice if I have a faulty injector.
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 7:04am On Apr 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

do a cylinder drop test, find out if there is a spark on cylinder 4. Or with engine off, remove coil 4 attach a spark plug to it, and ground it, then start engine, you should see a consistent spark on spark plug.
If you don't find a spark, swap coil 4 with a different coil and try again.

What I think you have is a faulty coil pack.

OK sir. Will try and do it and revert. I swapped the coil packs before. From cylinder four to three and for the same misfire code for cylinder four. Will do the spark plug stuff and check if there is spark. Thanks and I will revert soon.

PS. Even used my neighbour coil pack. The same thing. Notice that when I disconnected the coil park when engine wqa running initially cylinder four did not make the car shudder. But later one it did while others made the car shudder until i connected them backbbthaks gazzuzz

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by honmusa(m): 7:06am On Apr 12, 2017
mike070:

Thanks honmuaa. So does it mean it the battery is bad u won't replace it. Well the main sluglishness if from idle and den when u puy on the ac car drags. I for nor borrow person battery o. Chaiii. Thanks boss. Buy any possibility Og a faulty injector?? What signs will I notice if I have a faulty injector.
You don't have any issue whether injector or coil ,that issue is peculiar to Camry 2003-2004 ECU ,it takes them longer time to readjust from any memory reset compared to other ECU .
If you have reason to use your battery for people ,use a jumper cable.

2 Likes

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 7:07am On Apr 12, 2017
mayor2013:
To the best of my knowledge. If your ride is a drive by wire you car is undergoing a relearn process since you pulled out the battery in order to help someone.

Another problem we can look at there is your charging system. I hope your car battery is ok and your alternator is charging your car optimally. Have seen cases like this were a failing charging system triggers a misfire

This relearn process is killing joor. Lol. I fink the charging system is ok cos the battery in dere is almost 2 years old. Will ask an auto elect to check it. Thanks boss.

Ps read somewhere that a dirty throttle can cause same and when I opened mine it was as clean as .........
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by honmusa(m): 7:12am On Apr 12, 2017
mike070:

This relearn process is killing joor. Lol. I fink the charging system is ok cos the battery in dere is almost 2 years old. Will ask an auto elect to check it. Thanks boss.

Ps read somewhere that a dirty throttle can cause same and when I opened mine it was as clean as .........
Don't let any kazeem add any further salt to your injury, it not a issue ,it just a relearning process taking place ,every car does it but their recovery time differs.

1 Like

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 7:28am On Apr 12, 2017
honmusa:

Don't let any kazeem add any further salt to your injury, it not a issue ,it just a relearning process taking place ,every car does it but their recovery time differs.

Ok sir. Thanks boss. Really appreciate.
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:42am On Apr 12, 2017
The relearn process will only drop the idle speed to about 0.4-05 rpm at battery replacement. After driving around for 15-30mins idle would be set back to normal.

What your vehicle is going thru is not normal But if a long drive will fix it, by all means drive...
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 9:14am On Apr 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
The relearn process will only drop the idle speed to about 0.4-05 rpm at battery replacement. After driving around for 15-30mins idle would be set back to normal.

What your vehicle is going thru is not normal But if a long drive will fix it, by all means drive...

Ok. Will revert to the house if any improvent. Thanks. Gazzuzz
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by Denn(m): 8:52am On Apr 13, 2017
mike070:

Do a freeze from data screen grab of the moment you swap batteries and the moment the car starts driving without a misfire.

Compare the fuel trims and revert.

You have done coil and plug swap and the issue still remains on cylinder 4. This implies that the misfire is being caused from the fuel line and not the ignition line.

Remove injector 4, inspect and give it a good clean. Ensure the o rings are not damaged. Best to clean all injectors while at it.

Revert with good news.

Cheers
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mayor2013: 11:49pm On Apr 13, 2017
Use an ultrasonic cleaning process to clean up your injectors. Not the kazeem style
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 6:53am On Apr 14, 2017
Denn:

Do a freeze from data screen grab of the moment you swap batteries and the moment the car starts driving without a misfire.

Compare the fuel trims and revert.

You have done coil and plug swap and the issue still remains on cylinder 4. This implies that the misfire is being caused from the fuel line and not the ignition line.

Remove injector 4, inspect and give it a good clean. Ensure the o rings are not damaged. Best to clean all injectors while at it.

Revert with good news.

Cheers

Thanks. Will do that. I'm really grateful.
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 6:54am On Apr 14, 2017
mayor2013:
Use an ultrasonic cleaning process to clean up your injectors. Not the kazeem style

Where can I do that in Benin or asaba. Pls revert it u have any if not what r d cons doing it the 'KAZEEM STYLE'. thanks.
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mayor2013: 1:49am On Apr 15, 2017
mike070:

Where can I do that in Benin or asaba. Pls revert it u have any if not what r d cons doing it the 'KAZEEM STYLE'. thanks.

Won't be as clean as using the ultrasonic bath
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by atims73: 11:41pm On Apr 15, 2017
mike070:

My brother don't be afraid to help anyone who needs a bit of your battery juice, I drive a similar car and had same issues until I found out it wasn't a problem after all...I even had to teach my EXPERIENCED MECHANIC this procedure. The on-board computer has to relearn and there two ways of teaching it; the first which I don't fancy is driving the car at high speed for about an hour or two (you had earlier used this method unknowingly), the second, follow links below to watch the video. I am an electrical technician so I don't have problems handling most things myself. if you are not sure you can do it get your mechanic to watch the video and trust me you will be teaching something new. Note this problem and solution is only applicable to late 2002 to 2006 Toyota Camry. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrAMZlkSSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrAMZlkSSA?t=99
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by Denn(m): 1:34pm On Apr 16, 2017
atims73:

My brother don't be afraid to help anyone who needs a bit of your battery juice, I drive a similar car and had same issues until I found out it wasn't a problem after all...I even had to teach my EXPERIENCED MECHANIC this procedure. The on-board computer has to relearn and there two ways of teaching it; the first which I don't fancy is driving the car at high speed for about an hour or two (you had earlier used this method unknowingly), the second, follow links below to watch the video. I am an electrical technician so I don't have problems handling most things myself. if you are not sure you can do it get your mechanic to watch the video and trust me you will be teaching something new. Note this problem and solution is only applicable to late 2002 to 2006 Toyota Camry. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrAMZlkSSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrAMZlkSSA?t=99

Not all throttle bodies can just be cleaned like that.

Drive by wire systems have a specific process and this should be done by someone who really understands the process and has the right tools.

Thanks
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by mike070: 7:59am On Apr 22, 2017
Sorry for the late reply guys. Glad to inform the house that the problem is solved. The issue was d nozzle. The cylinder four nozzle was blocked n hence free flow of gas obstructed. My 'kazeem' ckezned the injector nozzles n reinstalled it back. Viola I cranhed engine n it sounded like a baby given sma gold . car runs fine now n idles perfectly at 700_800 RPM .
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by amhardy46: 4:38pm On Jul 22, 2019
https://www.diyforums.net/i-developed-a-rough-idle-on-05-toyota-corolla-after-battery-...-531818.htm
Try this link best advice ever don't even think about going to one kazeem the machanic.
Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire After Battery Change. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:45pm On Jul 22, 2019
amhardy46:
https://www.diyforums.net/i-developed-a-rough-idle-on-05-toyota-corolla-after-battery-...-531818.htm
Try this link best advice ever don't even think about going to one kazeem the machanic.

we are in 2019, I'm sure they solved it in 2017

(1) (Reply)

We Are Ringing GS300 Lexus V6 This Week 08061371793 / A Closer Look At The Innoson SUV. (pictures) / Need Advice As Regards Purchasing A Lexus RX 300

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.