Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,104 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Career Tips By WAVE Academies - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Tips By WAVE Academies (592 Views)

Career Tips: The 5 Reasons People Give Up On Their Dreams / HR Experts Share Their Best Career Tips In The FCMB #flexxcareerseries / Writing Tips By C.S. Lewis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Career Tips By WAVE Academies by WAVEAcademies: 2:42pm On Apr 12, 2017
People often complain about the economy to me and ask me how I can expect them to be optimistic, when the economy is so bad. I just shake my head and try to explain to them that it’s not the economy that will determine eventual career success, but what is going on within the person’s mind.

I have been working as a recruiter for a few years now; and not that long ago, some of my recruits complained about their salary earning in comparison to their education level. I listened quietly and then invited someone who had begun her career earning the same amount. She went on to explain to them that not only had she been grateful just to get a job at the time, but that before long, she was promoted to better position with better pay. This was mostly because she was seen as someone who added value to the organization.

One thing that amazes me constantly is that people are still making money, despite the recession, people are still building, and some people are even more successful this year than they were last year.

It’s really not about what’s going on outside, but what’s going on inside, so if we want to make sure that we are successful in our organization or community then we have to make sure that we are constantly adding value.

For those looking to learn about adding value, here are three easy ways to be valuable to your organization.

Go above your job description
There will be times when you will be asked to do things that may not be within your job description but it will help the organization. Go ahead and do it, there is always a reward for being good.

Stop complaining
The funny thing about complaining is that the more you complain, the more you have to complain about, and the more negative you become, the less productive you will be.

Always find something to be thankful for
Even if nothing else, be thankful that you have the opportunity to do something different today, to learn something new, to meet someone new, and do something that can change your life
In the end success is up to you. It’s not about the economy or about what other people are doing – it’s about what you are choosing to do consistently.

How about you, what would you add to the tips, what are your experiences with success in this recession?

https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/11/kelvin-bob-manuel-3-tips-on-how-to-be-successful-in-the-current-economy/

www.waveacademies.org
Re: Career Tips By WAVE Academies by WAVEAcademies: 11:52am On May 02, 2017
Finishing Schools…Finishing School- WAVE Academies

As I sat in front of my prospective employer, my mind wandered. I took a long walk back in time, way back to the gruesome 400L course; Extentialism. Dr. Folorunsho shouted on how the course would benefit us on our jobs when we eventually graduated. In that cramped cell of a classroom, we wrote everything he said like our lives depended on it. Our lives did depend on it back then.

My potential employer cleared his throat and transported me back to earth. I stared at him while he in turn stared at my CV. My CV had all these glorious experiences and recommendations which I didn’t reflect. He asked me simple questions any graduate should be able to answer and I was lost…as lost as I was in existentialism class. Needless to say, I didn’t get the job.

This happened some five years ago, way back when I was still young and naïve, when I thought my certificate could suffice for experience and would fetch me gold. My story took a turn for the better when I swapped finishing school for finishing schools.

Finishing school is a huge accomplishment for Nigerian youth. Having any school accept you into their programme meant that for the next four or five years, your life had been mapped out i.e Gain admission-Study hard-Pass my exams-Graduate-Serve-Job hunt. This just seems like the grand order of life. “Finishing school will make me more eligible for the workplace”; this thought is what drives youths to finish school. Sadly, as I realized, after a year or two, this was not entirely true.

After a series of failed interviews, I swallowed my pride as one who had finished school and went to a finishing school. I kept wondering what these schools could teach me after four years in the university. FOUR years! What could they possibly teach me?! As baked as I thought I was, I realized I had a long way to go. I had to unlearn, relearn and learn some more. More striking was the fact that I wasn’t better because I had a degree but because I knew and did what needed to be known and done.

Finishing schools, as the name connotes, are schools that are supposed to refine an individual; make such an individual better suited for the world of work. However, in this part of the world; the reverse is the case.!!! Because finishing school is of little or no value, finishing schools redefine rather than refine.

As I pen down my story, I can’t help but imagine how my life would have played out if I had enrolled for a finishing school immediately I finished school. Not to undermine finishing school; it has its own merits(such as demonstrating that an individual can be focused on a goal for four years) which sadly is negligible when compared to finishing schools.

Finishing school will always be a major accomplishment for the average youth, but will be irrelevant in the long run if they do not develop competencies required to succeed in the world of work which ultimately make finishing schools a must-consider.

WAVE is a finishing school that trains unemployed youth and connects them to job interviews. Kelvin is a member of the WAVE team. He has a passion for broadcasting and the use of social media. He coordinates activities across all social media platforms at WAVE Academies. www.waveacademies.org

(1) (Reply)

. / Eye Service / Adobe Photoshop Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.