Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (15648 Views)

Amos Tutuola's 100th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Ola Rotimi's 82nd Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Summary Of The Gods Are Not To Blame By Ola Rotimi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by horluwaloseyi(m): 11:03am On Apr 13, 2017
Hbd olarotimi
RIpe
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by CzarChris(m): 11:03am On Apr 13, 2017
femi4:
Have you eaten today?
Thanks for the heads up bros, wetin this recession go cause we never talk am finish.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by CzarChris(m): 11:18am On Apr 13, 2017
Henryyy:

U know wetin plagiarism mean abi u just wan open mouth? The mythology u speak of inspired it. Finish. So if I write about the Chibok girls na plagiarism abi? Anybody fit draw inspiration from anywhere abeg.
I hate it when people can't just get their point ahead without insulting others. WTF, is wrong with you? Didn't learn manners as a child? Are your senses complete? What da hell!!!

Was he the first to write or in your own words "draw inspiration" from the story of Oedipus? Even Sigmund Freud in the 1930s used it to explain a psychological issue now referred to as the "Oedipus Complex" in psychology. Okay if in defending your icon that he drew inspiration from it, the first person to write a tragic drama on Oedipus was Sophocles in 429BC, because he changed it into an African setting you want to call it whatever name? Plagiarism is plagiarism stop white washing it and call it what it is, so that intellectuals can actually use their brains in creating something and not modifying another persons hard work.

And please never mention me again or I go change am for you na na.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 11:40am On Apr 13, 2017
CzarChris:
the book "Gods are not to blame" is a plagiarized version of the Greek mythological story of Oedipus who killed his father and married his mother. Originality is always an issue.

adaptation is allowed in literature. there is no issue here. Go and study comparative literature.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Ksudr(m): 11:46am On Apr 13, 2017
I acted this play during high school days. And it's indeed memorable. I really loved the drama. Happy 79th posthumous birthday
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 13, 2017
CzarChris:
I hate it when people can't just get their point ahead without insulting others. WTF, is wrong with you? Didn't learn manners as a child? Are your senses complete? What da hell!!!

Was he the first to write or in your own words "draw inspiration" from the story of Oedipus? Even Sigmund Freud in the 1930s used it to explain a psychological issue now referred to as the "Oedipus Complex" in psychology. Okay if in defending your icon that he drew inspiration from it, the first person to write a tragic drama on Oedipus was Sophocles in 429BC, because he changed it into an African setting you want to call it whatever name? Plagiarism is plagiarism stop white washing it and call it what it is, so that intellectuals can actually use their brains in creating something and not modifying another persons hard work.

And please never mention me again or I go change am for you na na.

Apparently you don't know what plagiarism means. Accept that you're wrong and stop arguing. He would have paid for it dearly if the work had been considered a plagiarism, but it was considered one of the best adapted literary work.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by blacktallest(f): 11:56am On Apr 13, 2017
9jakohai:
I read the play back in secondary school.Interesting play.Adapted from an ancient Greek legend

Yeah....adapted from Odipeus Rex sir
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Stanbeto: 1:40pm On Apr 13, 2017
Let no one stop us and let no one go with us or i shall cause them, When wood inscets gathers sticks, on its own head it carries them

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by olutoscene(m): 1:41pm On Apr 13, 2017
CzarChris:
the book "Gods are not to blame" is a plagiarized version of the Greek mythological story of Oedipus who killed his father and married his mother. Originality is always an issue.

Oga, there is a difference between plagiarism and Adaptation. Its rather called 'African Adaptation'

1 Like

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by akigbemaru: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2017
Splashme:

1) Speak .........for the cooking pot for the chameleon is also the cooking pot for the lizard

2) A butterfly thinks himself a bird

3) All lizards lie prostrate: how can a man tell which lizard suffers from bellyache?

4) Is it not ignorance that makes the rat attack the cat

5) The hyena flirts with the hen, the hen is happy, not knowing that her death has come.

6) The lion's liver is vain wish for dogs

7) Because the farm-owner is slow to catch the thief, the thief calls the farm-owner thief.

cool The mangrove tree dwells in the river, but does that make it a crocodile?

9) Can the cockroach be innocent in a gathering of fowls?

10) The toad likes water, but not when the water is boiling

11) Secrets of the owl must not be known in daylight

12) When the wood-insect gathers sticks on its own head it carries them

R.I.P sir, you really brightened our childhood with that book

xx

xx

xx

Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by justi4jesu(f): 4:10pm On Apr 13, 2017
Elnida:

My sister what are you saying? Asin words in capital

embarassed

My brother go and read again, this time read it slowly... grin wink cheesy
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by adegeye38(m): 4:32pm On Apr 13, 2017
The gods are not to blame....

because the gods are dead
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Littlefish(f): 6:00pm On Apr 14, 2017
Thank God for you sir I am blessed reading your novel Happy birthday sir.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by rinzaugustine: 8:34pm On Jul 08, 2017
Hernyolar:
Ola Rotimi....men like these made me fall in love with literature..

"It is always best to keep your words soft and
sweet, you might never know when you'd have to
eat them"

"Kola nut indeed, last longer in the mouth of the
one who cherish it".

"Is it not ignorance that makes the rat attack the
cat?"

"The toad likes water, but not when the water is
boiling"

My people. Children of our fathers. Sickness is
like rain. Does the rain fall on one roof alone? No.
Does it fall on one body and not on another? No.
Whoever the rain sees, on him it rains. Does it not?
It is the same with sickness."

"The horn cannot be too big for the cow to carry on it's head"

True African proverbs.

Rest on Sir.
Re: Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Sylverly(m): 9:33pm On Jul 08, 2017
Happy Birthday to a legend

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Nairaland Stories Of The Week / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks To High School Students In Washington DC (photos) / The Ekanems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.