Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos (42899 Views)

2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi / This Train Passes Directly Through A 19 Storey Residential Building In China / Photo Of Overspeeding Car That Flew Into The 2nd Floor Of A Building In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by stephenduru: 10:14am On Apr 15, 2017
Vicky and her friends took a tour of Badagry Slave Port where they were shown the first storey building in Nigeria.She shared the photos on social media and wrote...

'Then we had to work some few kilometers away from the first administrative building to the first Storey building in Nigeria built in 1845. Outside this building use to be an AGIA TREE where Christianity was first preached by Rev. Birch Freeman of Methodist Church. Discretely, everyone said a silent word of prayer here because we were told that prayers said here always get answered. Oh! The miracle well that houses the cleanest water I have ever tasted was there. It was dug by Slaves. It’s called miracle well because it is the only well free from salt in the whole environs.

Inside the building were portraits of men like Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther and several other notable men who work on establishing Christianity in Nigeria.

We also saw a broken Chair that was so much taken care of like glass wares cared for by a woman. “What is so special about this Chair Mr Ade? “ One of us asked our tour guide. We learnt it is the last chair standing since 1859 in the iconic building. I felt blessed to be there and some of spiritually just engulfed me. But our tour was just about to start'

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/04/photos-of-first-storey-building-in.html

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by stephenduru: 10:14am On Apr 15, 2017

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:16am On Apr 15, 2017
A honeymoon in that won't be bad

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by benedictnsi(m): 10:17am On Apr 15, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
A honeymoon in that won't be bad

If you impregnate your wife in this type of place cos of honeymoon........

I pity the brain cells of the baby in this 21st century

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:27am On Apr 15, 2017
benedictnsi:

See you, which brain this indomie generation get?

I will cherish the memory if I get the opportunity

15 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by benedictnsi(m): 10:57am On Apr 15, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:

See you, which brain this indomie generation get?

I will cherish the memory if I get the opportunity

Hmm..... If you like, go to yankari game reserve bros.... gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by kogistar: 10:58am On Apr 15, 2017
great afonja

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:59am On Apr 15, 2017
benedictnsi:

Hmm..... If you like, go to yankari game reserve bros.... gringringrin
grin

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by burkingx(f): 1:47pm On Apr 15, 2017
cheesy
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by YonkijiSappo: 1:47pm On Apr 15, 2017
This Thomas Birch Freeman and Ajayi Crowther were the people who introduced Christianity to the Igbos of today.
Ajayi specifically preached vigorously for them to stop killing twins, Osu oppression, and disposing bodies in evil forests which was still prevalent among the Igbos at the time.

Following the British Niger Expeditions of 1854 and 1857, Crowther produced the premier full dictionary for the Igbo language in 1857, another for the Nupe language in 1860, and a full grammar and vocabulary of Nupe in 1864

Times have really flown by.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by lifestyle1(m): 1:48pm On Apr 15, 2017
Opposite my house in Badagry. cool

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by teemswest(m): 1:48pm On Apr 15, 2017
Today is badagry day or what?
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by TosineGuy(m): 1:49pm On Apr 15, 2017
in that last pic, i dey see a wooden chair suspended in the air or is it my eyes
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 15, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Lakebeyin(m): 1:50pm On Apr 15, 2017
Nice! It's a great history.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Bills2307(m): 1:50pm On Apr 15, 2017
kogistar:
great afonja
mtchewwww

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2017
stephenduru:
Discretely, everyone said a silent word of prayer here because we were told that prayers said here always get answered. Oh! The miracle well that houses the cleanest water I have ever tasted was there. It was dug by Slaves. It’s called miracle well because it is the only well free from salt in the whole environs.

CHRISTIANITY- Preaching god on one side and practicing slavery on the other.

This place should be commemorated as the birthplace of Nigeria's mental slavery.

The place should be burnt down and a shrine to the GODS of our ancestors be consecrated in its place.
angry

YonkijiSappo:

Ajayi specifically preached vigorously for them to stop killing twins, Osu oppression, and disposing bodies in evil forests which was still prevalent among the Igbos at the time.

Don't yab nonsense. just because you have fingers to type.

Killing of twins was done only by a small section of the Ijaw, namely the Kalabari. not by any other tribe in Nigeria.

this was just missionary propaganda to paint traditional Nigerian faiths in bad light and to gain converts.

Infact it is technically not possible in other tribes because most Nigerian traditional faiths rever twins as sacred and some even consider them as representatives of dual force deities . e.g. Orisa Ibeji (Yoruba)

Moreover, Osu oppression started after conversion to chrsitianity whereby Osu (former sacrificed shrine attendants of deities) were considered evil and dirty because they were associated with the old Gods.

in pre-colonial times Osu were rather respected and feared because of their association with the Gods. this role reversed after the coming of xtianity. and then post Nigerian independence you see a reversal of trend again whereby local Nigerian pastors start advocating against Osu and blaiming Osu discrimination on traditional religion.

Wake up Nigeria! angry

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by ekensi01: 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2017
Badagry over to you.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by castrol180(m): 1:52pm On Apr 15, 2017
benedictnsi:

The brain would form well and much better than these days brain which you carry.
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by adelakay(m): 1:53pm On Apr 15, 2017
Waiting for the Easterners

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by kygo(m): 1:53pm On Apr 15, 2017
why is he posing like that?.. nah handicap she be?
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2017
i dey find money oo
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by GMbuharii: 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2017
Nice one..

..slavery is gone buh the mentality lives on in them..stockholm syndrome...thats why they've transferred their lubricating services to hausa/fulani 'discharging hole/point'...savvvy?

grin grin grin grin

nice attraction o cheesy
Re: Photos Of The First Storey Building In Nigeria Built In 1845 In Lagos by Customer80: 1:58pm On Apr 15, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
This Thomas Birch Freeman and Ajayi Crowther were the people who introduced Christianity to the Igbos of today.
Ajayi crowther specifically preached vigorously for them to stop killing twins and disposing bodies in evil forests which was still prevalent among the Igbos at the time.

lies, a siera lonian of Igbo descent brought Christianity to the Igbos, while Mary slessor campaigned vigorously against killing of twins in eastern Nigeria not ajayi crowther young man

9 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of Kano Under Total Lockdown / Sotannde Kodir: Missing Person in Ibadan Explosion ( See Photo) / For Those Who Love Canada (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.