Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,807 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

NEW: 6 Powerful Health Benefits Of Laughter By Ujeshaofficial - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / NEW: 6 Powerful Health Benefits Of Laughter By Ujeshaofficial (532 Views)

Laughter This Easter As Naija Stand-up Comedy Pop-up Channel Launches On Dstv / The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Winner / The Pastor (season 18) (the House Of Laughter ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NEW: 6 Powerful Health Benefits Of Laughter By Ujeshaofficial by ujeshaofficial: 4:05pm On Apr 16, 2017
When I first discovered stand-up comedy, I was in the university. Basketmouth was the first comedian i saw on stage. It was one of the most beautiful nights i have heard till date (my wedding night gave more goose bumps) lol. Abeg no roll eyes o. Na the work wey we dey do.
I had fallen in love with the realistically jokes of basketmouth
I admired him not just because he was funny, but because he offered very real comments about the world and our young ages.

Since then, I’ve never outgrown my love of stand-up, and I doubt I ever will. Stand-up comedy is beneficial in that it is cathartic but also in so many other ways.

Whether you love stand-up as much as I do, or you’re just “okay” with it, you might be surprised to learn these powerful benefits of the laughter it creates:

1. It can help relieves stress

Assuming you’re watching or listening to stand-up that you find humorous, the laughter can effectively reduce your stress levels. Research suggests that laughter relieves stress by initiating and then abruptly cooling down your stress responses. What’s more, simply anticipating a laugh can have powerful stress-relieving effects.

One study from 2008 found that, when anticipating laughter, subjects experienced lower levels of three stress hormones — cortisol, epinephrine and dopac. The anticipation of laughter reduced these hormones by 39 percent, 70 percent and 38 percent, respectively.

2. It can help relieve pain

In addition to being a stress-reliever, stand-up comedy could also help with long-term pain management. Laughing can cause your body to produce natural painkillers and may also relieve pain caused by muscle disorders by interfering with the “pain-spasm” cycle.

A 2011 study conducted by researchers from Oxford University showed that the more subjects laughed, the less pain they felt. The study also suggests that it’s laughter itself, not just positive emotions, that aids in pain relief.

3. It can help boost your immune system

Trying to shake an annoying cold? Or an unknown headache? you might benefit from watching some stand-up.

Some research has shown that laugher may increase the number of infection-fighting antibodies and boost immune cells. Likewise, positive thoughts and feelings — such as those released with laughter — have the potential to release neuropeptides, which help fight illness and stress.

4. It can help reduce blood pressure

In addition to the health benefits mentioned above, laughing at stand-up comedy can improve blood flow and reduce your blood pressure. In fact, two separate studies found that laughter improves the flow of blood through the body’s arteries, thus reducing blood pressure as well as subjects’ risk of heart disease.

Most amazingly, one of the studies found that watching a funny movie improved blood pressure “for a full 24 hours” after the program was viewed. The other study discovered that, not only do humorous programs improve dilation of the arteries, but that watching depressing programs is actually harmful to our blood vessels.

5. It can stimulate your mind

Could watching stand-up comedy actually improve your brain function? Research found that people exposed to comedy are better able to answer semantic associates tasks. “Comedy is like mental exercise, and just as physical exercise strengthens the body, comedy pumps up the mind.” little wonder comedians look smater and well organised compare to other entertainers

6. It’s a good workout

Speaking of physical exercise, however, it’s worth noting that watching stand-up comedy and laughing can be an easy workout, too.

Of course, you probably shouldn’t try to substitute laughing for a solid gym workout, but it does have its benefits. Studies have suggested that 10-15 minutes of laughing can burn about 50 calories.

In addition to burning a few calories, laughing also works your stomach muscles by causing them to expand and contract. It also works out your shoulders and exercises the diaphragm and heart.

With so many different stand-up comedians out there and so many different kinds of humor and jokes, you’re bound to find at least one stand-up comedian you enjoy.
Listen to their specials (i recommend utube @ujeshaofficial) to get more laugher in your day-to-day life and improve your health throughout the year.

Who are your favorite stand-up comedians? I’d really like to hear about them in your comments

Cheers
Re: NEW: 6 Powerful Health Benefits Of Laughter By Ujeshaofficial by ujeshaofficial: 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
Like,share,watch,retweet.

(1) (Reply)

The Ungrateful Ruler!- African Bedtime Story About Nigerian Politicians (video) / Infinix: Have You Taken Note Of The Note 4 Lately? (video) / Who Would Be The First To Be Evicted In The On Going Big Brother Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.