Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? (2125 Views)

4 Simple Habits To Prevent Your Computer From Running Slow / Tips On How To Speed Up A Slow Computer. / Help Needed. My Computer Is Not Recognising My Mtn Modem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by usetShunctult: 10:53pm On Jan 01, 2010
My computer is running slow what steps can I do to fix it?
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by FBS: 11:01pm On Jan 01, 2010
There are several ways to "fix" it but if you can simply re-install windows or whatever OS it is you use. It does magic!!!
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by rex23: 12:13am On Jan 02, 2010
There are many free Registry scanners and cleaners.
My preferred free ones are:

CCcleaner to check and clean, and then once your pc is in top shape, maintain "security" with SpyBot Search and Destroy.

Many sites also offer advice. This for instance http://fixpcprobs.com
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by adaphik(f): 1:23pm On Jan 02, 2010
since u said 'fix', upgrade ur ram to 8gb
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by gameaddict(m): 2:00pm On Jan 02, 2010
Pray!

I had to abandon my old laptop because of problems relating to it's speed. I tried everything people suggested( defragmentation, cleaning the registry, etc and finally formatting ) all to no avail. I eventually bought a new one which came with windows 7. The problem may be from several issues ranging from software to hardware. Your best bet will be to hand the computer to an expert to examine before any other thing goes wrong,
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by blackweaver(m): 10:01pm On Jan 02, 2010
START task manager; if any program is running on over 50% most of the time then that program is probably dragging yourr system down
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by DualCore1: 10:53pm On Jan 02, 2010
adaphik:

since u said 'fix', upgrade your ram to 8gb
dazed

That's what you on? I wonno steal that shocked
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by folabuntu: 11:11pm On Jan 02, 2010
Mr DC, waatya mean dazed? hav u abandoned the super pc project?

anyways has lQ gone on xmas/newyear break. site didnt even open this afternoon!!!!

u don follow spikedcylinder go kwanangida ko?
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by DualCore1: 12:23am On Jan 03, 2010
hmmmm sometimes freegate no dey allow LQ.
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by blackweaver(m): 1:12am On Jan 07, 2010
bear in mind that if u''re running xp 8gb is a total waste (unless it's the 64 bit version) u might
as well upgrade it to 3gb and leave it there 'cos 32-bit xp
will not see much more than 3gb maybe 3.5 but definitely not up to 4gb ram, so it'll
just be on ur pc wasting away (8gb is safe for vista and 7)

besides i believe that 8gb is serious overkill for this guy; if he would have needed 8gb
he will be techy enough not to need to ask us this question on NL

also @poster what is the specs of your pc anyway and what os is it running? since when did it start
running slow?
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by deji2009(m): 1:17am On Jan 07, 2010
blackweaver:

bear in mind that if u''re running xp 8gb is a total waste (unless it's the 64 bit version) u might
as well upgrade it to 3gb and leave it there 'cos 32-bit xp
will not see much more than 3gb maybe 3.5 but definitely not up to 4gb ram, so it'll
just be on your pc wasting away (8gb is safe for vista and 7)

besides i believe that 8gb is serious overkill for this guy; if he would have needed 8gb
he will be techy enough not to need to ask us this question on NL

also @poster what is the specs of your pc anyway and what os is it running? since when did it start
running slow?

I'm in support. 8GB is too much. it can cause system instability such as Blue screen which

can prevent you getting to windows. find attached picture of what this can cause.

I would recommend poster to follow tecs instructions. Good luck !

Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by StephenLi: 8:29am On Jan 20, 2010
Hello, actually to repair a slow computer, you should perform quite a lot maintenance tasks regularly.

1. Defragment your system disk once a month.

2. Remove unneeded programs to release more hard drive space for the system.

3. Cleanup Windows registry errors to fix and avoid system problems.

4. Disable unnecessary programs on the startup.

5. Terminate unuseful WIndows services on your computer.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Repair-Slow-Computer---Repair-Your-Slow-Computer-With-the-Best-Answer-Now!&id=3568587
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by oladuro(m): 11:36am On Jan 20, 2010
HI DO NOT FORMAT YOUR SYSTEM YET VISIT MY BLOG WHERE YOU WILL FIND THE SOLUTION IN MY RECENT POST. www.laptopguidelines..com
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by oladuro(m): 12:03pm On Jan 20, 2010
SORRY ADDRESS IS BELOW CHECK RECENT POST  http://laptopguideline..com
Re: My Computer Is Running Slow What Steps Can I Do To Fix It? by Ibrahimk1: 9:43pm On Jan 21, 2010
guy
So many hardware problems can make ur system slow no matter what u do it ''ll not work
for example: FSB size (Front Side Bus) which serves as pathway for elecronic signals from the processor to the memory, cos no matter how fast is your processor be it intel celeron, centrino or core2duo even it's AMD Turon or Athlon. that is why u must seek for board info. b4 buying a system to know to what extent it supports upgrade tongue

If need more info. send mail to: medulikinks@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Windows 10 Activation Errors And How To Fix Them / Download The Latest Smadav Free Anti-virus 2016 For Better Security / Buying UK Used Laptop At Affordable Price...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.