Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,780 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY (4893 Views)

Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1986 When He Won His Nobel Prize / Wole Soyinka With Other Nobel Laureates In 1986(throwback Photo) / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Award For Literature In 1986(throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by obafemee80(m): 7:16pm On Apr 17, 2017
Chinua Achibe and Wole Soyinka..
2 of Nigeria's greatest writers

@OP
If this is taken into due consideration by those who would question the veracity of this article, then, can such person tell the public which of Wole Soyinka's phantom books outshines Chinua Achebe's Things fall apart, Anthill of the savannah, Arrow of God, No longer at ease, There was a country in terms of sales and ratings. Most of Chinua Achebe's book have international accolades with best seller and all there is.
Its not by how many books Chinua Achibe has written,or by sales or ratings.

As described in Nobel's will one part was dedicated to "the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction".
OP is talking as if noble prize is been awarded by Waec or INEC

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Earth2Metahuman: 7:16pm On Apr 17, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

You dey mind them?
Infact if that is how to win a nobel, D.O Fagunwa would have since clinched a nobel, infact he would probably be one of the first in Africa, and not just Black Africa to do so, but his Novels were mostly in Pure Yoruba language.
like I told one ediot on the other thread, if its by writing a best selling story, george RR matin (the writer of game of thrones) woulda won it two times in a roll if that is possible.

I think smart igbos shouldn't leave thing in the hand of these mor0ns who keep crawling out of shitty holes ever day.

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Guestlander: 7:17pm On Apr 17, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

You dey mind them?
Infact if that is how to win a nobel, D.O Fagunwa would have since clinched a nobel, infact he would probably be one of the first in Africa, and not just Black Africa to do so, but his Novels were mostly in Pure Yoruba language.

Lol Beeni o. God bless D.O Fagunwa, "Ogboju Ode" for ever.

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:24pm On Apr 17, 2017
Olabestonic001:
You guys are false logic; haba, you're really suffering ooooooo! Don't you know that Wole Soyinka is more of a Play writer while Chinua is a great African story teller? Must every thing really be seen in your jaundiced view? Is that not sign of gross insanity? Haba, You've not really read any of Soyinka's play such as 'Trial of Brother Jero', 'Lion and the Jewel', 'Ake, the year of Childhood' etc. They are classic Playwrights. As for the indefatigable Chinua, he is a legend at Africa illustrative writings. He's such a genius. But know this today; Politics is in every human endeavor! Chinua was the propaganda minister of the defunct Biafra, he became more secluded after the Civil War and he never recovered his image due to that faceoff. That could be another angle to his denial of a Nobel Prize. But, his denial does not affect the brilliancy of Wole Soyinka. They are parallel cases.
Pls, its always too foolish to attempt to bring a system down just to argue your points. You could have stated that Chinua deserved the Nobel Prize without trying to foolishly discredit Soyinka. Its like saying Eto'o didn't deserve the Africa Footballer of the year he won because Okocha never won it. That's poor argument and a disservice to sound discourse.
Olabestonic001:
You guys are false logic; haba, you're really suffering ooooooo! Don't you know that Wole Soyinka is more of a Play writer while Chinua is a great African story teller? Must every thing really be seen in your jaundiced view? Is that not sign of gross insanity? Haba, You've not really read any of Soyinka's play such as 'Trial of Brother Jero', 'Lion and the Jewel', 'Ake, the year of Childhood' etc. They are classic Playwrights. As for the indefatigable Chinua, he is a legend at Africa illustrative writings. He's such a genius. But know this today; Politics is in every human endeavor! Chinua was the propaganda minister of the defunct Biafra, he became more secluded after the Civil War and he never recovered his image due to that faceoff. That could be another angle to his denial of a Nobel Prize. But, his denial does not affect the brilliancy of Wole Soyinka. They are parallel cases.
Pls, its always too foolish to attempt to bring a system down just to argue your points. You could have stated that Chinua deserved the Nobel Prize without trying to foolishly discredit Soyinka. Its like saying Eto'o didn't deserve the Africa Footballer of the year he won because Okocha never won it. That's poor argument and a disservice to sound discourse.
Out of those three books you mentioned I only know of one, that is how unpopular Wole Soyinka is (he is just overhyped by yoruba controlled media), Chinua Achebe was robbed in broad daylight by politics and "yorubas are the most educated tribe". If you read my OP you would notice that I didnt write Wole off, I graded him with Chimamanda Adiche. With all sincerity, Wole soyinka isnt up to half of Chinua Achebe.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
Out of those three books you mentioned I only know of one, that is how unpopular Wole Soyinka is (he is just overhyped by yoruba controlled media), Chinua Achebe was robbed in broad daylight by politics and "yorubas are the most educated tribe". If you read my OP you would notice that I didnt write Wole off, I graded him with Chimamanda Adiche. With all sincerity, Wole soyinka isnt up to half of Chinua Achebe.

This is why drug couriers, gala sellers and fan yogo peddlers should never dabble into intellectual matters. I read your posts but refrained from commenting because I knew that you would definitely advertise your foolishness.

You think the entire Nobel prize committee was populated by Yorubas who influenced the process in favour of Soyinka? You think winning a Nobel prize is like one of your worthless chieftaincy titles that you give to armed robbers? (Osisikanwu the Abia armed robber was actually an Igbo chief)

Chinua Achebe's things fall apart is a book that accompanies good quality palmwine and bushmeat. There is nothing intellectual about that book. It's an easy read that paints Africa and Africans the way the whites want it.

Boy, go and read 'The Interpreters' by Wole Soyinka. If you read that book without food in your stomach, you can run mad. It opens all your brain cells blocked by Akpu.

As regards this argument, always remember that it is only someone who is down that tries to pull another down. If you think Soyinka's Nobel is fraudulent, you can borrow some worthless ultimatums from the Ohaneze and give it to the Nobel Prize committee.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:27pm On Apr 17, 2017
LordOfNaira:

I am disappointed at you!!!

Soyinka was a better writer than Achebe. His play "Lion and the Jewel" was revered even by the whites who never expected that an African could have such a command of English Language. Soyinka had published many plays including a Play of Giants that won many awards. The book "Ake" believed to have influenced his winning the Nobel Prize was a masterpiece. He was at the apex of the drama world and was once president of the international drama society. He was more of a playwright than a novelist. His novels (The Interpreters and Season of Anomy) are only popular in the PhD classes but his plays are popular in and around the world. For a man who has taught in Harvard, it is disrespectful of you to refer to his achievement as a fraud. For your information, and with all due respect, Achebe was only known to have lectured in a college abroad.

Another thing you must understand is that names on nominations of a Nobel Prize for Literature are not open to the public until after 50 years. You cannot see the 1986 nomination until after 50 years so how did you know Achebe was on the list?

Another thing you must understand is that prior to the 1986 Nobel Prize, Achebe's novel list and work was pretty small. He had just five novels, three children's book, two poetry collections and an essay collection while Soyinka had over fifteen plays, two novels, three poetry collections, an autobiography and essay collections.

And lastly, most Nobel Prize winners are obscure. Their books are hardly popular. Talk of Gordimer, Mahfouz, Toni Morrison, William Golding (except Lord of the Flies), Ernest Hemingway, etc.
Still non supersede Things fall apart

Again, can you compare those authors to William Shakespeare?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:33pm On Apr 17, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
like I told one ediot on the other thread, if its by writing a best selling story, george RR matin (the writer of game of thrones) woulda won it two times in a roll if that is possible.

I think smart igbos shouldn't leave thing in the hand of these mor0ns who keep crawling out of shitty holes ever day.
If you were smart enough you would know we arent talking of movies or scripts
Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Ozid(m): 7:34pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
Give me one of his books that outweighs Things Fall Apart.
Broda stop unnecessary comparison. Achebe and Soyinka are two different writer with different literary styles. While Achebe is more successful in African literature Soyinka has been able to combine both African and western style of writing perfectly well and to me that was what earned him the Nobel laureate award.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by LordOfNaira: 7:34pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
Still non supersede Things fall apart

Harry Potter has sold over a million copies and yet Rowling doesn't come close to Soyinka.

Nobel Prize is not awarded based on the popularity of a single book but on the depth of the writer's works. That is why popular best selling authors like Stephen King, Rowling and many others may never even be considered for the Nobel Prize.

Let me ask you a question, how many books by Nobel Prize winners do you know or that are popular?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:37pm On Apr 17, 2017
deomello:
The one and the only reason why you people can not and won't progress is the fact you people are saddled and preoccupied with low self-esteem, the need to see hatred and competition where it doesn't exist and also vain and meaningless sense of superiority when in fact realities on the ground says no.

The fact that you always have to beat your chest and remind other people that you are better than other people means you are not because like they say, empty calabash makes the most noise.
if you had sat in class you would know that only metals have lustre property.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:39pm On Apr 17, 2017
LordOfNaira:

Harry Potter has sold over a million copies and yet Rowling doesn't come close to Soyinka.

Nobel Prize is not awarded based on the popularity of a single book but on the depth of the writer's works. That is why popular best selling authors like Stephen King, Rowling and many others may never even be considered for the Nobel Prize.

Let me ask you a question, how many books by Nobel Prize winners do you know or that are popular?
If william shakespeare were alive dont you think he deserves a prize?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Earth2Metahuman: 7:41pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
If you were smart enough you would know we arent talking of movies or scripts
what a mor0n ..

He thinks game of throne is a movie script?

Why do we have so many brain dead mor0n amongst flat heads?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:41pm On Apr 17, 2017
Ozid:
Broda stop unnecessary comparison. Achebe and Soyinka are two different writer with different literary styles. While Achebe is more successful in African literature Soyinka has been able to combine both African and western style of writing perfectly well and to me that was what earned him the Nobel laureate award.
You didnt answer my question
Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by deomello: 7:42pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
if you had sat in class you would know that only metals have lustre property.

Meaningless and thoughtless rubbish, just like your thoughtless, meaningless and rubbish thread.

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 17, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
what a mor0n ..

He's an unenlightened dunce just like his ilk.

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:44pm On Apr 17, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
what a mor0n ..

Did you come to make raucous or to exihibit scallywaggy attitude?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by deomello: 7:44pm On Apr 17, 2017
LordOfNaira:

The primary 2 kid thinking OP obviously doesn't understand the difference between quantity and quality.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Earth2Metahuman: 7:46pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
Did you come to make raucous or to exihibit scallywaggy attitude?
use your tongue to count your teeth loser.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:47pm On Apr 17, 2017
deomello:

Meaningless and thoughtless rubbish, just like your thoughtless, meaningless and rubbish thread.

Simple property of metal you cant remember. Empty brain. E pain am.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Earth2Metahuman: 7:48pm On Apr 17, 2017
LordOfNaira:

stop schooling a mor0n

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by deomello: 7:50pm On Apr 17, 2017
Guestlander:

Lol Beeni o. God bless D.O Fagunwa, "Ogboju Ode" for ever.

D.O Fagunwa won the Margaret Wrong Prize in 1955 and was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen of England in 1959 when JJC achebe released things fall apart.

In fact, Wole Soyinka translated Ogboju Ode into English in 1968 as The Forest of A Thousand Daemons.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by deomello: 7:53pm On Apr 17, 2017
OkoYiboz:

This is why drug couriers, gala sellers and fan yogo peddlers should never dabble into intellectual matters. I read your posts but refrained from commenting because I knew that you would definitely advertise your foolishness.

You think the entire Nobel prize committee was populated by Yorubas who influenced the process in favour of Soyinka? You think winning a Nobel prize is like one of your worthless chieftaincy titles that you give to armed robbers? (Osisikanwu the Abia armed robber was actually an Igbo chief)

Chinua Achebe's things fall apart is a book that accompanies good quality palmwine and bushmeat. There is nothing intellectual about that book. It's an easy read that paints Africa and Africans the way the whites want it.

Boy, go and read 'The Interpreters' by Wole Soyinka. If you read that book without food in your stomach, you can run mad. It opens all your brain cells blocked by Akpu.

As regards this argument, always remember that it is only someone who is down that tries to pull another down. If you think Soyinka's Nobel is fraudulent, you can borrow some worthless ultimatums from the Ohaneze and give it to the Nobel Prize committee.

Glad that horrible book was never considered for the Nobel just like the hate filled book he wrote before dying. The man took hate and bitterness straight into his grace.

10 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 7:55pm On Apr 17, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
use your tongue to count your teeth loser.
swerve

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by masseratti: 7:56pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
Give me one of his books that outweighs Things Fall Apart.
wole is a playwriter,chinua is a novelist,you cant compere their books its wrong,its like compering maths and english language,wrong.

On issue of best sellers,it natural for fictional books to be best sellers,just like harry potter,game of thrones,and mind you chinua books gave the world an insight of african.culture,what made wole to win the nobel is his writing style not how many copy of the book he sold.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 8:00pm On Apr 17, 2017
masseratti:
wole is a playwriter,chinua is a novelist,you cant compere their books its wrong,its like compering maths and english language,wrong.

On issue of best sellers,it natural for fictional books to be best sellers,just like harry potter,game of thrones,and mind you chinua books gave the world an insight of african.culture,what made wole to win the nobel is his writing style not how many copy of the book he sold.
Do you win a fight by ur style or actually winning?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 8:01pm On Apr 17, 2017
deomello:

Glad that horrible book was never considered for the Nobel just like the hate filled book he wrote before dying. The man took hate and bitterness straight into his grace.
Chinua was on that list that year

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 17, 2017
Neoguru6:
Chinua was on that list that year

Sorry bro, no one remembers who came second. Deal with it.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Jetleeee: 8:30pm On Apr 17, 2017
Awon omo iya ti pari ise lori eleyi cheesy

Na to just chop Amala balance am with malt remain for the thread so grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2017
OkoYiboz:

Sorry bro, no one remembers who came second. Deal with it.
In a rigged system

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Austeeenxx: 8:41pm On Apr 17, 2017
It's people like this OP that give Ibos a bad name.

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Jetleeee: 8:44pm On Apr 17, 2017
Deomello Okoyiboz Yonkijisappo Earth2metahuman. E mu position. cheesy Onje o ni pe jina.

"Iya Alamu e se kia"

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka's 1986 Nobel Prize, A Monumental Fraud. See WHY by Neoguru6: 8:48pm On Apr 17, 2017
Austeeenxx:
It's people like this OP that give Ibos a bad name.
If you had gone to a proper school you would know it is spelt Igbo. Just another free education churn out

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Last Wolf Series - Broken Vengeance / The Adventures Of A Nigga / Toke Makinwa's On Becoming E-book For Free For Five Nairalanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.