Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ (4653 Views)

A Much Needed Explanation of Evolution / A Must Read: The Dust Raised By John Kumuyi's Wedding! / The Inconsistences Of The Theories Of Evolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by beneli(m): 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2010
Let’s continue with our exploration of some of the ridiculous assertions of materialistic ‘scientists’. Let’s throw our gaze on the alleged random evolution of complex single cell organisms from inanimate matter.

Some ‘evolutionists’ espouse the idea that several billions of years ago-approximately 5 billion years after the first ‘miracle’, when matter popped out of nothingness-lightening struck a pool of water, causing organic elements such as carbon, nitrogen, oxygen etc to combine in a random way to form the first living single cell organism.

It has been believed by a lot of materialistic scientists that this 'simple' form of life later evolved-over millions of years into our more complex primate ancestors! This is the gist of evolution, though a lot of 'evolutionists  have become increasingly more embarrassed about the springing forth of living organisms out of dust part, so have decided that chemical evolution-or abiogenesis-should be separate from the more 'respectable' evolution. http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v18/i2/abiogenesis.asp

This is almost like the trend that came out of our discussion about the doctrine of cosmogony, as opposed to the science of cosmology https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-373106.0.html

Sadly, a lot of banner carrying evolutionists continue to ignorantly espouse the philosophical ideas of abiogenesis that have no scientific evidence at all. The contemporary understanding of the science of evolution is that it studies how organisms change over time, and not how life started on earth. But they don’t teach you that at school do they?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis.

The truth is that abiogenesis, or chemical evolution as it was once called before it was disowned by a lot of evolutionists, is scientifically improbable.

For contextual purposes, let’s hear what the Encyclopedia Britannica has to say about the complexity of a living cell; “A living cell is a marvel of detailed and complex architecture. . . . The information content of a simple cell has been estimated as around 1012 bits, comparable to about one hundred million pages of Encyclopedia Britannica. The human body comprises a conglomeration of some 100,000,000,000,000 (1014) cells which work together in perfect harmony to maintain human life”. “Life,” Encyclopedia Britannica Online, http://members.eb.com/ bol/topic?eu=109621&sctn=1

Even leading evolutionist Richard Dawkins admits that, “There is enough information capacity in a single human cell to store the Encyclopedia Britannica, all 30 volumes of it, three or four times over,  ” Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (New York, NY: Norton 1986), p. 115.                                       

Why abiogenesis is improbable is that the odds of it happening are comparable to ‘the odds of rolling double-sixes 50,000 times in a row with unloaded dice’- Fred Hoyle, The Intelligent Universe (New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1983).

Perhaps that’s why some materialistic scientists are finding the doctrine of abiogenesis to be increasingly embarrassing and have started to reach for the stars in search of the stardust from which earthlings were spawned! But even then-even if water is to be found on Mars or on Jupiters moon, Europa or even beyond the reaches of the milky way-stardust is still essentially dust and is not capable of spontaneously generating life.

My honest concern is that some people still decide to tenaciously believe that there can be no God. One would have thought that the most enlightened thing to do in the light of all these uncertainties and with the unfolding knowledge available to man, is for the so called 'atheists' to agree that they don't know if there is a God or not and to do the 'reasonable' thing of converting to the less dogmatic agnosticism. I would, if i hadn't done that journey already and come full circle right back to where i started as a Deist!

“Life could never have evolved by chance on planet earth." -Nobel Prize winner Dr. Francis Crick (co-discoverer of one of the most important discoveries of 20th century biology
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by Tudor6(f): 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2010
And why could life NEVER have evolved by chance?
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2010
Science tries its best to offer natural explanations for most of the phenomena and events we see around us, does science have limitations, Yes it does and science even acknowledges that it has its own limitations, despite its many limitations science still offer the best explanations for most of the things that we see around. Take any event or occurrence which explanation will you prefer? The scientific one or the so called supernatural one? Having no explanation for an event means nothing more than we don't know. We don't know yet means we don't know It is ignorant to conclude or claim that god did it.If you say that god did it then be sure to provide empirical and scientific methods of showing that it was your own particular god that did it and not other gods that have also claimed to have done it. God did it has never explained anything at all. Even those the subscribe to the god hypothesis very much prefer natural explanations because it is more reasonable and makes much more sense than the god did it hypothesis that makes no sense at all. I say this because you will realize that the god did it hypothesis is only a claim that offers no explanation, and is unverifiable at all.

The only way to know that the god did it hypothesis is inferior to scientific explanations is when you have two different proponents of the god hypothesis(e.g a Christian and a Moslem) trying to show that their own god hypothesis is the true one, They sometimes try to use science and the scientific explanation to show that the assertions of their opponent is invalid because it does not agree with science and there by declare it invalid, If a Muslim claims divine healing from say cancer and tells the Christian that it was allah that healed him the Christian will try to look for natural and scientific explanations to show how the cancer was healed and show the Moslem that it was not allah that really healed him. If the Christian points to the creation accounts in the bible, The moslem will point to all the scientific inconsistencies that are found in the creation account to show to the christian that Yahweh did not really create the earth and the universe because that creation account does not agree with the scientific explanations.

Christians use the scientific process and knowledge to show moslems for example that the method of conception explained in the koran is false because it does not agree with modern scientific explanations. The Christian accepts the christian hypothesis and all its ridiculous claims but tries to use science sometimes to discredit his opponents who also subscribe to a different god hypothesis. The problem is that things are not done that way.

The god hypothesis explains NOTHING at all, because it explanations are not self evident, The god hypothesis only offers claims and counter claims but it explains nothing to any body apart from those that subscribe to the particular version of the god hypothesis they subscribe to. We don't know means we don't know, saying that god did it and offering no explanation with regards to how he did it is just a baseless claim. If you claims that god created the universe then you should be able to explain how and why god created the asteroids and why and how he created planets like Jupiter and Saturn. Saying the god spoke them into existence makes it highly speculative at best, and more likely, just a convenient fiction.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

The only way to know that the god did it hypothesis is inferior to scientific explanations is when you have two different proponents of the god hypothesis(e.g a Christian and a Moslem) trying to show that their own god hypothesis is the true one,

This is not even close to reasoning scientifically or philosophically. It is just about the same thing to say that "the only way" to know that atheistic hypothesis is empty is because atheists hold very different arguements about what atheism actually is. To make for a compromise, the empty talk about 'weak' and 'strong' atheism comes into play to pat atheists on the back.

Another example would be the statement that "the only way" to know that the evolution is inferior as a 'scientific explanation' for the origin of life is when we see that even evolutionists have two different propositions of their hypothesis - what we might call the 'Dawkins vs Gould' polarisations. Just because these two evolutionists argue diametrically opposed views about several things in evolution should not be grounds to make simplistic statements about "the only way" to know this and that as inferior.

The God-hypothesis is NOT inferior to any so-called 'science' of LIFE origins. The philosophical paradigms driving origins research have not even come close to controverting the plain fact that naturalism does not have ANY answer to the ORGIN of LIFE. The best anyone could argue is mere conjecture/speculation - which is nothing more than an inferior 'science' (if it could even pass for 'science' at all).
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2010
beneli:

My honest concern is that some people still decide to tenaciously believe that there can be no God. One would have thought that the most enlightened thing to do in the light of all these uncertainties and with the unfolding knowledge available to man, is for the so called 'atheists' to agree that they don't know if there is a God or not and to do the 'reasonable' thing of converting to the less dogmatic agnosticism. I would, if i hadn't done that journey already and come full circle right back to where i started as a Deist!

I believe that all the gods of man made religion are man made, and there are so many evidence to show that men created all the gods they worship and espouse. No god can be shown to exist outside human cultural traditions, mythologies and stories. Lets take the christian religion, The christian hypothesis does not just say that god created the universe and everything and stops there, It goes further and claims that this god has certain attributes, but the problem is that these attributes are incompatible and make it impossible for this said god to exist. . . . .  This god is also said to have attributes or does things that can be objectively observed. But the problem is that non of these attributes have ever been objectively observed at all. Personally I can accept the deist position but that claim it self has a lot of problems and is not self evident. . . . . . . . The deist assert that god created the universe, They refuse to tell us the nature of this god, why he created and his purpose of creating the universe and how he/she can be detected. In fact they refuse to tell us how these god can be seen, known or encountered, They just make a non evidential claim and that's it. . . . . . . .

“Life could never have evolved by chance on planet earth." -Nobel Prize winner Dr. Francis Crick (co-discoverer of one of the most important discoveries of 20th century biology

And why should we believe this baseless claim? His evidence that life could never evolve by chance is what?. . . . His evidence that life was created by a god to show that it can never evolve by chance is?. . . . . .  . We should accept this blanket statement because he said so? grin grin
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 8:38pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

This is not even close to reasoning scientifically or philosophically. It is just about the same thing to say that "the only way" to know that atheistic hypothesis is empty is because atheists hold very different arguements about what atheism actually is. To make for a compromise, the empty talk about 'weak' and 'strong' atheism comes into play to pat atheists on the back.

Another example would be the statement that "the only way" to know that the evolution is inferior as a 'scientific explanation' for the origin of life is when we see that even evolutionists have two different propositions of their hypothesis - what we might call the 'Dawkins vs Gould' polarisations. Just because these two evolutionists argue diametrically opposed views about several things in evolution should not be grounds to make simplistic statements about "the only way" to know this and that as inferior.

When atheist are debating atheism between themselves non of them tries to use the supernatural argument to buttress his/her position they just make their case and move on, What about conflicting god hypothesis?. . . . .Knowing very well that their god hypothesis explains nothing they try to use natural scientific explanations sometimes to discredit those on the opposing view side, Why? because they KNOW very well that the god hypothesis CAN NOT stand on its own and is not self evident. . . Evolutionist do not leave the realm of scientific naturalism and try to use supernatural explanations to explain the validity of there assertions when debating each other do they? The FACT that the various proponents of the god hypothesis sometimes drop their god explanations and use natural scientific explanations when discrediting each others assertion is very telling. . . .

The God-hypothesis is NOT inferior to any so-called 'science' of LIFE origins. The philosophical paradigms driving origins research have not even come close to controverting the plain fact that naturalism does not have ANY answer to the ORGIN of LIFE. The best anyone could argue is mere conjecture/speculation - which is nothing more than an inferior 'science' (if it could even pass for 'science' at all).

And when did naturalism ever claim that it has the answer to the origin of life?. . . .
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 8:42pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

I believe that all the gods of man made religion are man made, and there are so many evidence to show that men created all the gods they worship and espouse. No god can be shown to exist outside human cultural traditions, mythologies and stories. Lets take the christian religion, The christian hypothesis does not just say that god created the universe and everything and stops there, It goes further and claims that this god has certain attributes, these attributes are incompatible and make it impossible for this said god to exist. . . . .  This god is also said to have attributes or does things that can be objectively observed. But the problem is that non of these attributes have ever been objectively observed at all. Personally I can accept the deist position but that claim it self has a lot of problems and is not self evident. . . . . . . . The deist assert that god created the universe, They refuse to tell us the nature of this god, why he created and his purpose of creating the universe. In fact they refuse to tell us how these god can be seen, known or encountered, They just make a non evidential claim and the that's it. . . . . . . .

I have no problem with your 'belief'; it could be placed anywhere in the larger context of atheistic assumptions in the writings of several atheist authors and still be found to be quite a vacillating position between 'weak' and 'strong' atheism.

And why should we believe this baseless claim? His evidence that life could never evolve by chance is what?.

Your evidence that life could have evolved by chance is WHAT?

His evidence that life was created by a god to show that it can never evolve by chance is?. . . . . .  . We should accept this blanket statement because he said so? grin grin

No, but I would like to see your own evidence that life could have evolved by chance completely on its own. This does not make any appeal to the God-hypothesis, but please show me the scientific evidence you have for the -life-evolved-by-chance hypothesis.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 8:48pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

When atheist are debating atheism between themselves non of them tries to use the supernatural argument to buttress his/her position they just make their case and move on, What about conflicting god hypothesis?.

They do not need to make appeals to any theistic concept - without any theistic help they still argue and wrangle over the meaning of atheism.

Knowing very well that their god hypothesis explains nothing they try to use natural scientific explanations sometimes to discredit those on the opposing view side, Why? because they KNOW very well that the god hypothesis CAN NOT stand on its own and is not self evident.

This is just plain crass! grin  WHY do atheist have to try to discredit theism in their attempt to find a meaning for ATHEISM? You, mazaje, are very funny!  This kind of argument is very frivolous and embarrassing to the rational atheist. If such an atheist cannot find meaning for his atheism until he makes an appeal to theism, he is both at a lose to himself and a non-starter presupposition.

Evolutionist do not leave the realm of scientific naturalism and try to use supernatural explanations to explain the validity of there assertions when debating each other do they?

Did I interpolate supernaturalism into evolution? Or does evolution now equate to atheism?

The FACT that the various proponents of the god hypothesis sometimes drop their god explanations and use natural scientific explanations when discrediting each others assertion is very telling. .

Not for me, because I don't muddy the waters and confuse one thing for another.

And when did naturalism ever claim that it has the answer to the origin of life?.

Oh puhleease! grin  You have started this empty drivel again. If naturalism does not have any explanations to the ORIGIN of LIFE, what are you arguing here?
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 8:57pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

I have no problem with your 'belief'; it could be placed anywhere in the larger context of atheistic assumptions in the writings of several atheist authors and still be found to be quite a vacillating position between 'weak' and 'strong' atheism.

grin grin grin

Your evidence that life could have evolved by chance is WHAT?

I didn't even make any claim about life evolving by chance or not evolving by chance. You are assuming what I did not even say, Did I say that life can evolve by chance? Some guy made a blanket statement that life can not evolve on this planet, Do you agree with that? If you do then you can consult him and the two of you should provide us with evidence to show why life can not evolve by chance on this planet and can only come about by a deity supposedly Yahweh. . . . .  

No, but I would like to see your own evidence that life could have evolved by chance completely on its own. This does not make any appeal to the God-hypothesis, but please show me the scientific evidence you have for the -life-evolved-by-chance hypothesis.

Your evidence that I said life can evolve by chance is?. . . . .I did not make any blanket claim or statement about the the evolution of life. . .He did, he should then go ahead and provide evidence to show that to us life can not evolve by chance on this planet but can only be created by Yahweh. . . .
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

grin grin grin

I didn't even make any claim about life evolving by chance or not evolving by chance. You are assuming what I did not even say,

Sorry about the assumption. Even so, I was not trying to assume anything into your posts (I had a hunch that when the atheist is closely examined, he is more likely to post disclaimers and beat a retreat!) grin.

Did I say that life can evolve by chance. Some guy made a blanket statement that life can not evolve on this planet, Do you agree with that?

I agree with that.

If you do then you can consult him and the two of you should provide us with evidence to show why life can not evolve by chance on this planet and can only come about by a god supposedly Yahweh. . . . .

Like I said, mazaje, I do not confuse between worldviews and science. The philosophies driving the two positions are very, very different and thus cannot be confused to make them bedfellows.

On the other hand, proferring evidence for ORIGINS science is one thing; while extrapolating such evidence for a holistic approach is quite another thing entirely. Often, my style of looking at either positions is to consider them on their own merits and philosophical approaches rather than mix them up.

The 'life orgins' science is one branch of scientific enqiry that many scientists are currently looking into more and more in recent times. of course, even though they are approcahing their enquiries in holistic or systems sciences (such as systemics), it often follows a philosophy of naturalism. Consequently, in all the attempts that have been made in scientific progress, scientists are leaning towards the position that naturalism is inadequate to provide explanations or any 'evidence' for the origin of life. This does not mean that they are necessarily delving into the metaphysical (although metaphysics is also part of the systemics approach); and we understand why - because naturalism does not make grand statements about what is beyond its explanatory philosophies.

The above is just a summary for my leaning towards the understanding that naturalism does not explain the ORIGIN of life, because the philosophy that drives that kind of origins research is not concerned with other fields of enquiries that show that life comes from life.

Your evidence that I said life can evolve by chance is?

I posed that question from this part of your previous response:[list]
And why should we believe this baseless claim? His evidence that life could never evolve by chance is what?.
[/list]. . because it suggests to me that you know far more than you can assert by claiming that someone else's statement is 'baseless'. That being so, it would be nice to see the basis of your own ideas that inform your assertions - otherwise what you are at pains to argue is as baseless as anyone could imagine.

I did not make any blanket claim or statement about the the evolution of life. . .He did, he should then go ahead and provide evidence to show that to us.

Well, I am not in a position to defend his original thesis; but I reckon that your hasty assertion was ill-informed.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

This is just plain crass! grin  WHY do atheist have to try to discredit theism in their attempt to find a meaning for ATHEISM? You, mazaje, are very funny!  This kind of argument is very frivolous and embarrassing to the rational atheist. If such an atheist cannot find meaning for his atheism until he makes an appeal to theism, he is both at a lose to himself and a non-starter presupposition.

You my friend are a very funny person, I said that theist sometimes use the natural scientific explanation to discredit the explanations of those on the opposing side because the god hypothesis is not self evident and you come up with this rejoinder? Are you confused? grin . . . . .According to wikipedia Atheism can be either the rejection of theism, or the position that deities do not exist. My atheism is the rejection of theism and also the position that deities do not exist how is that not a rational atheistic position? grin grin

Oh puhleease! grin  You have started this empty drivel again. If naturalism does not have any explanations to the ORIGIN of LIFE, what are you arguing here?

Naturalism tries to provide natural explanations for the origin of life NOT answers to the origin of life. . . .I notice that you have changed you assertion from answers to the origin of life to explanations about the origin of life. The point is naturalism has never claimed that it has the answers to the origin of life question, it only tries to explain the origin of life. . . . . . You said that "The philosophical paradigms driving origins research have not even come close to controverting the plain fact that naturalism does not have ANY answer to the ORGIN of LIFE." and I asked you to tell me when naturalism claims it has the answers to the origin of life?
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

You my friend are a very funny person, I said that theist sometimes use the natural scientific explanation to discredit the explanations of those on the opposing side because the god hypothesis is not self evident and you come up with this rejoinder? Are you confused? grin

No, I am not confused - and you should have tried to reason through carefully so that it does not appear you are the confused one between us. cheesy You may have posted that reply hastily; but even without the patience to have understood the collective points I set forth, it should be clear that worldviews and science are not to be confused. It is insignificant whether the theist or atheist tries to use natural science to discredit the views of the 'opponents'; but at the basics we should both understand that neither theism not atheism is 'science'.

According to wikipedia Atheism can be either the rejection of theism, or the position that deities do not exist. My atheism is the rejection of theism and also the position that deities do not exist how is that not a rational atheistic position? grin grin

It is irrational because the thought of two atheists arguing the meaning of atheism by trying to discredit theism is just plain comedy. It is analogous to two theists arguing the meaning of theism by trying to discredit atheism - how does that help establish the basic meaning of theism for these two confused chaps? I do not have to try to discredit a worldview that I don't subscribe to just to define my own worldview - and that is what you did not notice in your postulation earlier. Two atheists arguing the meaning of atheism between themselves by trying to discredit theism is just not rational.

Naturalism tries to provide natural explanations for the origin of life NOT answers to the origin of life.

Hahaha! My man mazaje, do you have a hangover from the new year partying? grin How do you try to "explain" the orgin of life while at the same time running away from answers about the same origin of life? grin

Excuse me, bro. . but what exactly are you reading in this thread?

I notice that you have changed you assertion from answers to the origin of life to explanations about the origin of life.

Okay, just leave it at ORIGIN of life. Does that help? Whether it is an answer to, or an explanation for, the ORIGIN of LIFE - it is still about the QUESTION of the origin of life sir! grin Please tell me with your naturalism how life ORIGINATED.

The point is naturalism has never claimed that it has the answers to the origin of life question, it only tries to explain the origin of life.

Your beautiful semantics. . hehehe! grin What is the difference up there, huh?

You said that "The philosophical paradigms driving origins research have not even come close to controverting the plain fact that naturalism does not have ANY answer to the ORGIN of LIFE." and I asked you to tell me when naturalism claims it has the answers to the origin of life?

That is true, and whether you take it as "answer to" or "explanation for" - it is still the same, thanks for asking! grin grin
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 9:45pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

Sorry about the assumption. Even so, I was not trying to assume anything into your posts (I had a hunch that when the atheist is closely examined, he is more likely to post disclaimers and beat a retreat!)  grin.

grin grin grin, The atheist does not post a disclaimer and beats a retreat, Its you who always assumes wrongly and tries to force the atheist to accept things as defined or contextualized by you grin grin.

Consequently, in all the attempts that have been made in scientific progress, scientists are leaning towards the position that naturalism is inadequate to provide  explanations or any 'evidence' for the origin of life. This does not mean that they are necessarily delving into the metaphysical (although metaphysics is also part of the systemics approach); and we understand why - because naturalism does not make grand statements about what is beyond its explanatory philosophies.

I will like to see credible sources from authoritative scientific bodies(like the NAS) that declare that scientific naturalism is inadequate to provide explanations for the origin of life. I agree that scientific naturalism might not be able to provide evidence but explanations? I will like to see such sources that make that declaration. . . .

I posed that question from this part of your previous response:[list][/list]. . because it suggests to me that you know far more than you can assert by claiming that someone else's statement is 'baseless'. That being so, it would be nice to see the basis of your own ideas that inform your assertions - otherwise what you are at pains to argue is as baseless as anyone could imagine.

I said it is a baseless claim because he did not provide any objective basis why he made that blanket statement. . .On what objective basis did he come to the conclusion and authoritative assert that life could not evolve and could only come about through the magical wonder of a deity?

Well, I am not in a position to defend his original thesis; but I reckon that your hasty assertion was ill-informed.

I my assertion was not ill-informed IMO. . .I say this because he did not provide give an objective basis for declaring that life could never evolve on this planet. . . .I am not saying that life evolved or did not evolve, Why should he make that forceful and blanket statement without providing any objective basis for his assertion?. . . .That to me is a baseless claim. . . .
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

grin grin grin, The atheist does not post a disclaimer and beats a retreat, Its you who always assumes wrongly and tries to force the atheist to accept things as defined or contextualized by you grin grin.

What did I force you to "accept", mazaje? And as for beating a retreat, I said that when the atheist is closely examined, he posts a disclaimer - that is clearly what you have done without my forcing anything on you or any atheist. Again, with 'contextualised', I often leave you pointers or references, for I certainly mentioned 'atheist authors' - if I failed to mention their names specifically, it still does not change anything! grin

I will like to see credible sources from authoritative scientific bodies(like the NAS) that declare that scientific naturalism is inadequate to provide explanations for the origin of life. I agree that scientific naturalism might not be able to provide evidence but explanations? I will like to see such sources that make that declaration

Please let me know what you intend to make between 'explanations' and 'evidence' and then I shall oblige you some sources for what I have been saying.

I said it is a baseless claim because he did not provide any objective basis why he made that blanket statement. . .On what objective basis did he come to the conclusion and authoritative assert that life could not evolve and could only come about through the magical wonder of a deity?

In my view, I don't see it as baseless because I have not seen any sources where life is said to have evolved by chance with any shred of evidence. If he was reasoning philosophically, would it be baseless as well? If your answer is yes, by what philosophy? But even so, I have not argued for the God-hypothesis other than saying that it is 'not inferior' to any so-called 'science' of LIFE origins. If you do have any shred of 'evidence' for how life must have evolved by chance, would you like to share?

I my assertion was not ill-informed IMO. . .I say this because he did not provide give an objective basis for declaring that life could never evolve on this planet. . . .I am not saying that life evolved, Why should he make that forceful and blanket statement without providing any objective basis for his assertion

Okay, I respect your 'IMO' as much as I have mine. However, I think the statement was “Life could never have evolved by chance on planet earth", and I reckon there is a huge difference.

To say that 'life could never evolve on this planet' makes for the idea that it is impossible with a finalist tone at all times - past, present, future; whereas “Life could never have evolved by chance on planet earth" looks at considerations in the past that do not yield a contrary view.

However, if I'm not mistaken, my post would have been the first in this thread to point to 'origin' - and that is what I was looking at in reference to ABIOGENESIS in the OP. It is not a simplistic question of species evolving through time; but rather the question of LIFE having evolved by chance.

I hope this will sort out a few things.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by noetic16(m): 10:21pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

Science tries its best to offer natural explanations for most of the phenomena and events we see around us, does science have limitations, Yes it does and science even acknowledges that it has its own limitations, despite its many limitations science still offer the best explanations for most of the things that we see around. Take any event or occurrence which explanation will you prefer? The scientific one or the so called supernatural one? Having no explanation for an event means nothing more than we don't know. We don't know yet means we don't know It is ignorant to conclude or claim that god did it.If you say that god did it then be sure to provide empirical and scientific methods of showing that it was your own particular god that did it and not other gods that have also claimed to have done it. God did it has never explained anything at all. Even those the subscribe to the god hypothesis very much prefer natural explanations because it is more reasonable and makes much more sense than the god did it hypothesis that makes no sense at all. I say this because you will realize that the god did it hypothesis is only a claim that offers no explanation, and is unverifiable at all.

1. This is largely FALSE sir.
The "God did it" hypothesis has provided empherical and common sensical evidences which establish that God indeed did the things He did. You are mixing up your ability to accept these evidences with the availability of these evidences. That u consider this evidences and explanations unacceptable does nt imply that these evidences lack integrity or cannot stand the test of intellectual or scientific scrutiny.

2. You have largely admitted the limitations and ignorance associated with science. And u have also attempted to excuse this ignorance on the premise that it offers the best explanation on issues. . . No I strongly disagree.
Based on the current subject it is inconceivable to suggest that life started from inorganic substances. . .this scientific explanation is not plausible.
whats the supernatural explanation?. . .this explanation makes the case of a Living being giving life to other beings to exist. This supernatural explanation adds up with all known scientific and biology-related knowledge we have today. only a living organism can bring forth another living organism. This is my dear is a pathetic exposure of the limits of science.

The only way to know that the god did it hypothesis is inferior to scientific explanations is when you have two different proponents of the god hypothesis(e.g a Christian and a Moslem) trying to show that their own god hypothesis is the true one, They sometimes try to use science and the scientific explanation to show that the assertions of their opponent is invalid because it does not agree with science and there by declare it invalid, If a Muslim claims divine healing from say cancer and tells the Christian that it was allah that healed him the Christian will try to look for natural and scientific explanations to show how the cancer was healed and show the Moslem that it was not allah that really healed him. If the Christian points to the creation accounts in the bible, The moslem will point to all the scientific inconsistencies that are found in the creation account to show to the christian that Yahweh did not really create the earth and the universe because that creation account does not agree with the scientific explanations.

what really is science? if we are going by the lay man definition of science, then both the muslims and xtians are allowed to use scientific notion to justify their inherent claims.
1 believe that it is only pertinent that everyone's claim is analysed and scrutinised to come to an acceptable plausible conclusion. on several ocassions on this forum the biblical account of creation has been brought under the knife and it has stood the test of time. how then do u excuse this on the premise of an islamic account of creation?. . the koran's allah does not even know how many days it took him to create the earth?

Christians use the scientific process and knowledge to show moslems for example that the method of conception explained in the koran is false because it does not agree with modern scientific explanations. The Christian accepts the christian hypothesis and all its ridiculous claims but tries to use science sometimes to discredit his opponents who also subscribe to a different god hypothesis. The problem is that things are not done that way.

do u an atheist agree with the conception assertions of the koran?

The god hypothesis explains NOTHING at all, because it explanations are not self evident, The god hypothesis only offers claims and counter claims but it explains nothing to any body apart from those that subscribe to the particular version of the god hypothesis they subscribe to. We don't know means we don't know, saying that god did it and offering no explanation with regards to how he did it is just a baseless claim. If you claims that god created the universe then you should be able to explain how and why god created the asteroids and why and how he created planets like Jupiter and Saturn. Saying the god spoke them into existence makes it highly speculative at best, and more likely, just a convenient fiction.

there is a huge difference between the plausibility of God making the universe and the ability of u as an atheist to accept such claims. ur position is largely influenced by dogma in believing that God does not exist. . how then would u accept evidences and explanations that analyses His creation. unless the root cause of ur dogma is addressed, regardless of how many times such explanation is proffered, u cannot accept it.

Lets ponder over the alternative, could life have come into existence without the need for God. . .without the need of life. . .without the need for a more super-intelligent being, . .NOPE.
My dear the analysis that suggest a random occurrence of matter and the conception of life from an inorganic substance is largely ridiculous and holds no water.

Do u have any plausible explanation for the beginning of life and the universe?
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 10:29pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

Please let me know what you intend to make between 'explanations' and 'evidence' and then I shall oblige you some sources for what I have been saying.

Pls just go ahead and provide your credible sources(Like the NAS) that declare that naturalism is in adequate to provide explanation as to the origin of life. . . . .

In my view, I don't see it as baseless because I have not seen any sources where life is said to have evolved by chance with any shred of evidence. If he was reasoning philosophically, would it be baseless as well? If your answer is yes, by what philosophy? But even so, I have not argued for the God-hypothesis other than saying that it is 'not inferior' to any so-called 'science' of LIFE origins. If you do have any shred of 'evidence' for how life must have evolved by chance, would you like to share?

My friend you are dancing around. . . .You should have had enough boogey at the club, church or where ever over the new year day celebration. grin. In my view I have NOT seen any objective source that says life can not evolve by chance and can only come about by the magical interference of a deity. I have not seen such a paper. . . .He is a biologist(scientist) so I believe he was not arguing philosophically but scientifically. His scientific basis for saying that life could never have evolved on this planet by chance but can only come about by the magical interference of a deity is what?. . . . .
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 10:44pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

Pls just go ahead and provide your credible sources(Like the NAS) that declare that naturalism is in adequate to provide explanation as to the origin of life. . . . .

Oh dear. .  oh dear. .  oh dear me!  I sorta like you this funny chap! grin I was only trying to bring us to level ground so that neither you nor I run the risk of criss-crossing some 'contextualizations' to diametric tunnels. That was just simply why I asked you to let me know what you intend to make between 'explanations' and 'evidence'.

If there's any luck that you might do so, please understand that we're looking at something most pivotal here in one of the claims you made tonight:

mazaje:

Naturalism tries to provide natural explanations for the origin of life NOT answers to the origin of life

That is the one point that I would like to see - how NATURALISM provides explanations for the ORIGIN OF LIFE. Please set forth your hypotheses, theories, models, laws, etc. for the naturalistic explanations of the ORIGIN of Life, thank you.

My friend you are dancing around. . . .You should have had enough boogey at the club, church or where ever over the new year day celebration. grin.

Look here my man, I will personally hold you responsible if my date fails tonight! grin Yes, I had a whole lot goodies (and hiccups). . so why blame me if I was yarning like a drunk?!?

In my view I have NOT seen any objective source that says life can not evolve by chance and can only come about by the magical interference of a deity. I have not seen such a paper. . . .He is a biologist(scientist) so I believe he was not arguing philosophically but scientifically. His scientific basis for saying that life could never have evolved on this planet by chance but can only come about by the magical interference of a deity is what?

Let's be objective now, if you may. True, he is a scientist - and even if we ignore the philosophical basis of his statement, let's move over to the materialist/naturalist who argues to the contrary. You also made an assertion:
mazaje:

Naturalism tries to provide natural explanations for the origin of life NOT answers to the origin of life
. .  and I await your own evidence for that. Please note carefully, we are talking here about the ORIGIN of Life.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 10:50pm On Jan 02, 2010
Howdy, noetic16. I am not sure about this:

noetic16:

The "God did it" hypothesis has provided empherical and common sensical evidences which establish that God indeed did the things He did.

'Empirical' and 'evidence' - those are very heavy words to throw around. Could you please show such empirical evidence establishing what you asserted?
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 11:02pm On Jan 02, 2010
Noetic happy new year. . . .  kiss kiss

noetic16:

1. This is largely FALSE sir.
The "God did it" hypothesis has provided empherical and common sensical evidences which establish that God indeed did the things He did. You are mixing up your ability to accept these evidences with the availability of these evidences. That u consider this evidences and explanations unacceptable does nt imply that these evidences lack integrity or cannot stand the test of intellectual or scientific scrutiny.

Your empirical and scientific evidence that says that Yahweh magically spoke(supposedly in the hebrew langauage) the birds into existence is WHAT?

2. You have largely admitted the limitations and ignorance associated with science. And u have also attempted to excuse this ignorance on the premise that it offers the best explanation on issues. . . No I strongly disagree.
Based on the current subject it is inconceivable to suggest that life started from inorganic substances. . .this scientific explanation is not plausible.
whats the supernatural explanation?. . .this explanation makes the case of a Living being giving life to other beings to exist. This supernatural explanation adds up with all known scientific and biology-related knowledge we have today. only a living organism can bring forth another living organism. This is my dear is a pathetic exposure of the limits of science.

The scientific explanation is not plausible according to whom? If it is not plausible then why do scientist agree with its plausibility? Your scientific and empirical evidence to show that a living being that is allegedly uncreated gave life to plants and animals is what? What is the supernatural explanation for the existence of plants and animals? How did your god create a toad?. . . .How did he create a baobab tree?

what really is science? if we are going by the lay man definition of science, then both the muslims and xtians are allowed to use scientific notion to justify their inherent claims.  
1 believe that it is only pertinent that everyone's claim is analysed and scrutinised to come to an acceptable plausible conclusion. on several ocassions on this forum the biblical account of creation has been brought under the knife and it has stood the test of time. how then do u excuse this on the premise of an islamic account of creation?. . the koran's allah does not even know how many days it took him to create the earth?

grin grin, Noetic my man when has the biblical claim stood the test of time when compared to scientific claims? The biblical creation stories would have us accept that the earth existed (complete with liquid water and plants) before the sun existed, How does that agree with the scientific process of solar and planetary formation? According to the creation accounts in genesis the the moon was created at the same time with the sun and also produces it's light, how does this claim agree with the scientific explanation about the solar and lunar formation? It also claims that it took 6 days to create our planet but a moment on the 4th day to create the rest of the universe (all the uncountable stars, nebulae, galaxies, etc); that humans have existed on this planet for most of its existence. How does this agree with the current scientific understanding and explanation of the universe and the earth? Why and how did the bible god create the other planets? Why and how did he create the asteroids? Did he speak them into existence too? . The bible says that the moon and stars were created solely to provide light unto the earth and for seasons. . . . .How does this claim agree with scientific explanations? Are the stars really created solely for the purpose of providing light here on earth?. . . . .Was the moon solely created to rule over the night as claimed in the bible? How does a rock rule over anything? What about the scientific explanation of the Earth's ocean tides which come about as a result of the moon's gravitational pull on the earth? How does that agree with the claim that the moon was created to rule over the night?
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by noetic16(m): 11:25pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

Howdy, noetic16. I am not sure about this:

'Empirical' and 'evidence' - those are very heavy words to throw around. Could you please show such empirical evidence establishing what you asserted?

empirical evidence that "God did it"?. . . . . .

This is pretty obvious and I have repeatedly stated this on this forum. . . , . just cant lay my hands on the links now, . .but the thread is titled NOETIC EXPLAINS WHY GENESIS IS MORE CREDIBLE THAN SCIENCE. . . .the thread was initiated by krayola.

1. . . . . based on biblical accounts of the "God did it" case we know from the assertions of God that He commanded that man be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth. simply put He asked them to reproduce after their own kind. The only explanation for the continuos increase and sustanance of the worlds population has been reproduction. . .which u and I are products of. . .this is experimentable and observable and as such empirical and serves as an evidence. Reproduction as a means of replenishing is an exclusive preserve of the creation argument.
The claim that other species (including man) are products of inorganic/non-living substances as postulated in theories is false and not empirical.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 11:26pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

Oh dear. .  oh dear. .  oh dear me!  I sorta like you this funny chap! grin I was only trying to bring us to level ground so that neither you nor I run the risk of criss-crossing some 'contextualizations' to diametric tunnels. That was just simply why I asked you to let me know what you intend to make between 'explanations' and 'evidence'.

Why baby? I just want to see the credible sources(Like the NAS) that declare that naturalism is in adequate to provide explanations or evidence as to the origin of life as you said. . . . .I am not interested in any debates about what the dichotomy between explanation and evidence is. . .I just want to see the sources. . . .Pls don't consider this proposal as part of the debate but as me asking you to provide something for me.

That is the one point that I would like to see - how NATURALISM provides explanations for the ORIGIN OF LIFE. Please set forth your hypotheses, theories, models, laws, etc. for the naturalistic explanations of the ORIGIN of Life, thank you.

The short answer is we don't really know how life originated on this planet in the natural sense. Scientist try or propose various hypothesis using natural explanations. There have been a variety of experiments that try to tell us some possible roads,(Like Miller–Urey experiment). These are the way naturalism tries to explain the origin of life. Are the explanations acceptable or convincing enough? To some they are and to some they are not but they are explanations nonetheless. . . . .

Let's be objective now, if you may. True, he is a scientist - and even if we ignore the philosophical basis of his statement, let's move over to the materialist/naturalist who argues to the contrary. You also made an assertion:. .  and I await your own evidence for that. Please note carefully, we are talking here about the ORIGIN of Life.

You are trying to run way here. . . . .Where did I make any argument to the contrary? I did not even say that life evolved or did not evolve by chance. I only challenged his claims based on the fact that he did not provide any objective basis for declaring that life can never evolve but had to come about only by the magical interference of a deity. . . . .
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 11:31pm On Jan 02, 2010
noetic16:

This is pretty obvious and I have repeatedly stated this on this forum. . . , . just cant lay my hands on the links now, . .but the thread is titled NOETIC EXPLAINS WHY GENESIS IS MORE CREDIBLE THAN SCIENCE. . . .the thread was initiated by krayola.

1. . . . . based on biblical accounts of the "God did it" case we know from the assertions of God that He commanded that man be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth. simply put He asked them to reproduce after their own kind. The only explanation for the continuos increase and sustanance of the worlds population has been reproduction. . .which u and I are products of. . .this is experimentable and observable and as such empirical and serves as an evidence. Reproduction as a means of replenishing is an exclusive preserve of the creation argument.
The claim that other species (including man) are products of inorganic/non-living substances as postulated in theories is false and not empirical.

Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 11:36pm On Jan 02, 2010
noetic16:

Did a search and found 'Noetic2 Explains Why Genesis Is More Credible Than Science'. I'll take some time to read through in coming days.

I'm afraid that's not an empirical evidence in the least. I won't go into that presently, but maybe we shall have ocassion to think carefully through and see that an assertion of such does not actually establish empirical foundations for evidence of a scientific nature. One point we should note is that within an ordered and orderly world, there are anomalies; and if you had taken that into account, you might not so much be given to conclusions as the above for what is 'empirical evidence' for your case.

It all depends on how the hypothesis is set forth, afterall man was created from non-living matter (from the dust of the ground - Genesis 2:7).
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by noetic16(m): 11:48pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

Noetic happy new year. . . .  kiss kiss

Your empirical and scientific evidence that says that Yahweh magically spoke(supposedly in the hebrew langauage) the birds into existence is WHAT?

would I be wrong to say that the above is pathetic? and where is ur evidence that suggests that a bird evolved by chance?

The scientific explanation is not plausible according to whom? If it is not plausible then why do scientist agree with its plausibility? Your scientific and empirical evidence to show that a living being that is allegedly uncreated gave life to plants and animals is what? What is the supernatural explanation for the existence of plants and animals? How did your god create a toad?. . . .How did he create a baobab tree?

when did scientists become infallible? in ur previous post u admitted the ignorance and limitations associated with science?  did scientist not previously state that the earth was flat? what exactly do u understand by science, if i may ask?
what is ur explanation for the existence of plants and animals?. . . . .did they descend by chance from planet jupiter?

grin grin, Noetic my man when has the biblical claim stood the test of time when compared to scientific claims? The biblical creation stories would have us accept that the earth existed (complete with liquid water and plants) before the sun existed, How does that agree with the scientific process of solar and planetary formation? According to the creation accounts in genesis the the moon was created at the same time with the sun and also produces it's light, how does this claim agree with the scientific explanation about the solar and lunar formation? It also claims that it took 6 days to create our planet but a moment on the 4th day to create the rest of the universe (all the uncountable stars, nebulae, galaxies, etc); that humans have existed on this planet for most of its existence. How does this agree with the current scientific understanding and explanation of the universe and the earth? Why and how did the bible god create the other planets? Why and how did he create the asteroids? Did he speak them into existence too? . The bible says that the moon and stars were created solely to provide light unto the earth and for seasons. . . . .How does this claim agree with scientific explanations? Are the stars really created solely for the purpose of providing light here on earth?. . . . .Was the moon solely created to rule over the night as claimed in the bible? How does a rock rule over anything? What about the scientific explanation of the Earth's ocean tides which come about as a result of the moon's gravitational pull on the earth? How does that agree with the claim that the moon was created to rule over the night?

1. The mere fact that the entire earth surface is dominated by 70% water is enough hypothesis to understand that the earth as described in genesis was contained with water until the creation began.

2. there is no where in the biblical accounts where plants are said to precede the sun (from human manifested point of view). I take it that u cannot find a comprehensive understanding of the accounts in the first two chapters of genesis to gasp the entire concept of creation.

3. how does the creation of the moon and sun on the same day contradict the scientific explanation for the solar and lunar formation?

4. would it not be ridiculous on ur part to attempt to scrutinise the ability of the creator to create the components of the universe on the fourth day? at a point in time called BEGINING . .  .the same creator made the heaven and earth. . . ,  .how do we decipher the time he created precious stones including gold and diamond, oil and gas? Since we cannot give these works a time-scale. . .would be meaningful to denounce the fact that they were created?
in what quantity do u measure the task of creating the galaxies as more cumbersome than that of other creations? in what capacity do u make this claim?

5. where in the bible did u read that the stars were created to give light? and what scientific explanation prevents the moon from ruling by night?
what is stopping u from making analyses to support ur assertions?

happy new year mazaje.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 11:48pm On Jan 02, 2010
mazaje:

Why baby? I just want to see the credible sources(Like the NAS) that declare that naturalism is in adequate to provide explanations or evidence as to the origin of life as you said. . . . .I am not interested in any debates about what the dichotomy between explanation and evidence is. . .I just want to see the sources. . . .Pls don't consider this proposal as part of the debate but as me asking you to provide something for me.

Okay, off camera I shall look out for some sources for my own statement - it is not so much a NAS paper of my inference, and I'll like for us to keep in mind that the question is on the origin of life.

The short answer is we don't really know how life originated on this planet in the natural sense. Scientist try or propose various hypothesis using natural explanations. There have been a variety of experiments that try to tell us some possible roads,(Like Miller–Urey experiment). These are the way naturalism tries to explain the origin of life. Are the explanations acceptable or convincing enough? To some they are and to some they are not but they are explanations never non less.

I understand what you're trying to proffer; and although the Miller-Urey experiments was a hoax (or more aptly an attempt which proved unscientific), there have been other naturalistic postulations which are molded after the same philosophical approach and yet still fail to touch upon the very question of the ORIGIN of life. Others may include the panspermia - the hypothesis that life on earth originated from microorganisms from outer space; etc. In all honesty, these are not 'explanations'  as far as the ORIGIN of life is concerned.

You are trying to run way here. . . . .Where did I make any argument to the contrary? I did not even say that life evolved or did not evolve by chance. I only challenged his claims based on the fact that he did not provide any objective basis for declaring that life can never evolve but had to come about only by the magical interference of a deity.

No, this is not about running away. Having explained what was meant in my posts, I still await your own evidence/explanation for this assertion:
mazaje:

. .  again, may I remind you to please note carefully, we are talking here about the ORIGIN of Life.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by noetic16(m): 11:55pm On Jan 02, 2010
viaro:

Did a search and found 'Noetic2 Explains Why Genesis Is More Credible Than Science'. I'll take some time to read through in coming days.
ok

I'm afraid that's not an empirical evidence in the least. I won't go into that presently, but maybe we shall have ocassion to think carefully through and see that an assertion of such does not actually establish empirical foundations for evidence of a scientific nature. One point we should note is that within an ordered and orderly world, there are anomalies; and if you had taken that into account, you might not so much be given to conclusions as the above for what is 'empirical evidence' for your case.

1. says who? you? and your reason is? . . . . .I hope u dont come up with a world view that has no basis. . . .I would be too disappointed.

2. I refuse to take into account your presupposition of an anomaly in the context of this assertion cos there is no basis for such.

It all depends on how the hypothesis is set forth, afterall man was created from non-living matter (from the dust of the ground - Genesis 2:7).

The same man was not a LIVING soul until he received the breadth of LIFE (genesis 2:7)
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by viaro: 12:08am On Jan 03, 2010
noetic16:

1. says who? you? and your reason is?

Actually, my reason is derived from your own statements:

1.  based on biblical accounts of the "God did it" case we know from
        the assertions of God that He commanded that man be fruitful and
        multiply and replenish the earth.

2.  simply put He asked them to reproduce after their own kind.

Statements based merely on 'assertions' are not 'empirical' of a scientific nature. If that is the way to argue veracity for empirical evidence, then every religion in the world would have a 100% equal validity for whatever assertions they make - including the Hindu writs that say that 'cows are God', and you would have no justification whatsoever to falsify their assertions and claim that yours is 'correctly' more empirical and evidence-based.

. .I hope u dont come up with a world view that has no basis. . . .I would be too disappointed.

No, I'm not trying to bring up a baseless worldview. I believe that as Christians, we should be very objective and avoid mixing things up.

2. I refuse to take into account your presupposition of an anomaly in the context of this assertion cos there is no basis for such.

What if you are shown numerous cases of anomalies within our orderly world and experiences? What would you do or say? How would you begin to explain such anomalies away in the face of incontrovertible evidence?

The same man was not a LIVING soul until he received the breadth of LIFE (genesis 2:7)

It still does not negate the very fact that man was created from non-living matter according to Genesis 2:7.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by beneli(m): 12:41am On Jan 03, 2010
I have been trying to look up on the possible evidence people would have for believing that life can emerge from dust.

The Miller-Urey experiment, which Mazaje mentioned above, is the major (or only) research cited to prove abiogenesis. It turns out that this study has done much more to show that abiogenesis is not possible on Earth (1) than what the believers of abiogenesis claim. Hence the search for alternative sites for the origin of life outside of earth.

There is however evidence against living organisms randomly evolving out of dust, whether it is stardust or earthbound dust mixed with water to form an 'organic' soup. This evidence can be found in one of the tools of the scientific process itself-the probability of such an event happening.

In the days when it was thought that the universe has always been there, the idea of abiogenesis could be defended by the fact that dust had literarily all the time in the world to go through an infinity of random relationships, of which one would spark off the process of complex life evolving. Unfortunately, we did not have all the ‘time’ in the world for this to happen.

We now believe that the universe is time-limited and as such even Richard Dawkins, one of the atheist’s messiahs, admits that "the probability of life having arisen by chance is as vanishingly small as the likelihood of a Jumbo Jet having being constructed by a hurricane sweeping through a scrap yard."(2)

Let’s look at this probability thing a little closer. How low a probability do mathematicians believe makes an event essentially impossible? The French Mathematician Émile Borel has estimated 10 (raised to the power minus 50); and William Dembski , a research professor in philosophy and mathematician has calculated a lower limit of 10 (raised to the power minus 150), based on the number of elementary particles in the universe and the age of the universe (3).

The probability of abiogenesis is far, far less! Murray Eden of Massachusetts Institute of Technology calculated a probability of ~10 (to the power minus 313) to spontaneously bring polypeptide sequences together into functional proteins (4). Simple self-sustaining life requires ~1,500-2,000 gene products, and Sir Fred Hoyle-English astronomer, known for his contributions in stellar nucleosynthesis, estimated a probability of ~10(raised to the power minus 40,000) to obtain 2,000 enzymes in a random trial! (5).

The summary is that abiogenesis is not only unproven, it is mathematically impossible!

Sources:
1.http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/Exobiology/miller.html
2.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3655792/I-dont-believe-in-Richard-Dawkins.html
3.William A. Dembski, The Design Inference: Eliminating Chance through Small Probabilities, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998), 5, 209, 210.
4.Murray Eden, "Inadequacies of Neo-Darwinian Evolution as a Scientific Theory," in Mathematical Challenge to the Neo-Darwinian Interpretation of Evolution, ed. Paul S. Moorhead (Philadelphia: Wistar Institute, 1967), 109-10.
5.Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe, Evolution from Space (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1981), 24.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 1:19am On Jan 03, 2010
noetic16:

would I be wrong to say that the above is pathetic? and where is your evidence that suggests that a bird evolved by chance?

Same old noetic and his antics. . . .Here is what you said. . ."The "God did it" hypothesis has provided empherical and common sensical evidences which establish that God indeed did the things He did.". . . So your empirical evidence that establish that birds were allegedly spoken into existence is WHAT?. . . .I did not make any claim weather birds came into existence by chance, You were the one that says that you have empirical evidence that establishes the claim that Yahweh created the birds by magically uttering Hebrew words. . .Where is that empirical evidence?

when did scientists become infallible? in your previous post u admitted the ignorance and limitations associated with science?  did scientist not previously state that the earth was flat? what exactly do u understand by science, if i may ask?
what is your explanation for the existence of plants and animals?. . . . .did they descend by chance from planet jupiter?

I don't know how plants and animals came about, You claim you do and I will like to see your empirical evidence that shows that plants were magically brought into existence with Hebrew words. . . .

1. The mere fact that the entire earth surface is dominated by 70% water is enough hypothesis to understand that the earth as described in genesis was contained with water until the creation began.

The genesis hypothesis claims that there was water and plants on earth BEFORE the sun and the other stars were magically created on the 4th day of creation according to the hypothesis. . . .How does this hypothesis agree with the scientific position with regards to solar and planetary formation?

2. there is no where in the biblical accounts where plants are said to precede the sun (from human manifested point of view). I take it that u cannot find a comprehensive understanding of the accounts in the first two chapters of genesis to gasp the entire concept of creation.

Are you redefining the genesis hypothesis or are you trying to throw the hypothesis under the bus by saying it does not say what it says? According to the hypothesis there was soil on the surface of the earth(The earth was created before the sun) and the plants were created on the 3rd day of the 6 days of creation and the sun and stars were not created until the 4th day of creation, That is what the hypothesis says and that is what I will go by not your redefinition of what it says. . . .

3. how does the creation of the moon and sun on the same day contradict the scientific explanation for the solar and lunar formation?

A little study on the scientific explanation for solar and lunar formation will show you. . . .According to the scientific explanation the sun came first then the planets and after that the moon. . . .How do you reconcile that with the genesis hypothesis that says the earth came first and that the moon and sun were created on the same day?. . . .

4. would it not be ridiculous on your part to attempt to scrutinise the ability of the creator to create the components of the universe on the fourth day? at a point in time called BEGINING . .  .the same creator made the heaven and earth. . . ,   .how do we decipher the time he created precious stones including gold and diamond, oil and gas? Since we cannot give these works a time-scale. . .would be meaningful to denounce the fact that they were created?
in what quantity do u measure the task of creating the galaxies as more cumbersome than that of other creations? in what capacity do u make this claim?

The oil and gas all have natural explanations that does not require any input from any deity at all. . . . .Of course the sun, moon, planets and stars were created because we see them and we know what they are, we even have names for them that is not the issue, Do you know how the asteroids came about? If you do can you tell me? Did you god created the planets? How did he do it? Did he magically speak them into exsietence in Hebrew too?. . . .Saying that god did it explains NOTHING at all. . . .A better example lets assume that nobody really understands gravity or can provide substantial evidence for it. If I tell you that it exists because some invisible vacuum demons hidden in the Earth that cannot be experienced or seen by mere mortals put it there, What will you say? The fact that you cannot disprove that hypothesis, nor replace it with a better one, doesn't make it right at all. It makes it highly speculative at best, and more likely, just a convenient fiction. This my friend is the same with the God did it hypothesis. . . .It explains nothing beside the fact that it is only the default position of I don't know by the proponent of the god hypothesis as my man toneyb has said on another thread. . . . .

5. where in the bible did u read that the stars were created to give light?
what is stopping u from making analyses to support your assertions?

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also

and what scientific explanation prevents the moon from ruling by night?

How exactly does the moon rule anything by night?. . . .

happy new year mazaje.

Same to you. . . . wink
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by mazaje(m): 2:43am On Jan 03, 2010
beneli:

I have been trying to look up on the possible evidence people would have for believing that life can emerge from dust.

The Miller-Urey experiment, which Mazaje mentioned above, is the major (or only) research cited to prove abiogenesis. It turns out that this study has done much more to show that abiogenesis is not possible on Earth (1) than what the believers of abiogenesis claim. Hence the search for alternative sites for the origin of life outside of earth.

There is however evidence against living organisms randomly evolving out of dust, whether it is stardust or earthbound dust mixed with water to form an 'organic' soup. This evidence can be found in one of the tools of the scientific process itself-the probability of such an event happening.

In the days when it was thought that the universe has always been there, the idea of abiogenesis could be defended by the fact that dust had literarily all the time in the world to go through an infinity of random relationships, of which one would spark off the process of complex life evolving. Unfortunately, we did not have all the ‘time’ in the world for this to happen.

We now believe that the universe is time-limited and as such even Richard Dawkins, one of the atheist’s messiahs, admits that "the probability of life having arisen by chance is as vanishingly small as the likelihood of a Jumbo Jet having being constructed by a hurricane sweeping through a scrap yard."(2)

Let’s look at this probability thing a little closer. How low a probability do mathematicians believe makes an event essentially impossible? The French Mathematician Émile Borel has estimated 10 (raised to the power minus 50); and William Dembski , a research professor in philosophy and mathematician has calculated a lower limit of 10 (raised to the power minus 150), based on the number of elementary particles in the universe and the age of the universe (3).

The probability of abiogenesis is far, far less! Murray Eden of Massachusetts Institute of Technology calculated a probability of ~10 (to the power minus 313) to spontaneously bring polypeptide sequences together into functional proteins (4). Simple self-sustaining life requires ~1,500-2,000 gene products, and Sir Fred Hoyle-English astronomer, known for his contributions in stellar nucleosynthesis, estimated a probability of ~10(raised to the power minus 40,000) to obtain 2,000 enzymes in a random trial! (5).

The summary is that abiogenesis is not only unproven, it is mathematically impossible!

Sources:
1.http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/Exobiology/miller.html
2.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3655792/I-dont-believe-in-Richard-Dawkins.html
3.William A. Dembski, The Design Inference: Eliminating Chance through Small Probabilities, (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998), 5, 209, 210.
4.Murray Eden, "Inadequacies of Neo-Darwinian Evolution as a Scientific Theory," in Mathematical Challenge to the Neo-Darwinian Interpretation of Evolution, ed. Paul S. Moorhead (Philadelphia: Wistar Institute, 1967), 109-10.
5.Sir Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe, Evolution from Space (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1981), 24.

Did Richard Dawkins really make those statements? I will like you to provide evidence from credible sources that he did. . . .I say this because creationist websites are known for claiming or putitng words into people mouths. . .As for the probability calculus assertion which claims that it is impossible for Abiogenesis to have occurred I will like to provid a rebuttal to that claim from talk origins. . . . . . http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html  and http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/borelfaq.html
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by noetic16(m): 3:24am On Jan 03, 2010
viaro:

1. says who? you? and your reason is?

Actually, my reason is derived from your own statements:

1.  based on biblical accounts of the "God did it" case we know from
        the assertions of God that He commanded that man be fruitful and
        multiply and replenish the earth.

2.  simply put He asked them to reproduce after their own kind.

Statements based merely on 'assertions' are not 'empirical' of a scientific nature. If that is the way to argue veracity for empirical evidence, then every religion in the world would have a 100% equal validity for whatever assertions they make - including the Hindu writs that say that 'cows are God', and you would have no justification whatsoever to falsify their assertions and claim that yours is 'correctly' more empirical and evidence-based.

1. would it be out of place to dismiss ur innuendos considering that u have completely ignored the major point made in that post which largely reflects on REPRODUCTION. The ability of man to reproduce after his own kind? this is NOT an assertion but a scientific notion buttressed by the ability of u viaro to exist today . . . .what plausible explanation do u have for ur existence other than reproduction?

No, I'm not trying to bring up a baseless worldview. I believe that as Christians, we should be very objective and avoid mixing things up.

You just did.

objectivity is a vague word and concept. . .but within the subject of discourse, ur attempt to reconcile the hindu belief of a "cow God" to the inherent evidence in human reproduction is appalling.
what would be the basis of asserting a scientific basis to a belief that a cow is a god? by God, we refer to the creator of all things, would a reproduced cow, who is unable to decipher a thought on its own, be the creator of his farmer? I dont think so.

Lets be objective like u said. . . . .assertions can be assesed based on scientific notions. That some scientists claim that human life comes from dust is just a baseless assertion. . .when placed under the microscopic analysis of independent scientific thoughts it becomes even more ridiculous to assert that organisms came into being from inorganic substances.
why then can we not put biblical claims under such scientific scrutiny? if we can put the claims of men under microscopic analysis. . .why not biblical claims?
Since the bible asserts that man should be fruitful and multiply. . .what exactly stops man from doing so? has man not been reproducing since God knows when?. . . why do u then want to excuse biblical assertions on the basis of dogmas?

What if you are shown numerous cases of anomalies within our orderly world and experiences? What would you do or say? How would you begin to explain such anomalies away in the face of incontrovertible evidence?

I would become a learned and better person if and when incontrovertible anomalies are established in my world view and understanding. I am a student of knowledge. . . . .but until then, my knowledge, faith and beliefs remain as they are.

It still does not negate the very fact that man was created from non-living matter according to Genesis 2:7.

please read that verse again. . . . . .while man was created from dust. . .he did NOT become a LIVING being until he received the BREADTH of LIFE. how then can we disassociate man from the life he carries?

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and[b] breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;[/b] and man became a living soul.
Re: Life Out Of Dust-the ‘miracle’ Of ‘evolution’ by noetic16(m): 3:59am On Jan 03, 2010
mazaje:

Same old noetic and his antics. . . .Here is what you said. . ."The "God did it" hypothesis has provided empherical and common sensical evidences which establish that God indeed did the things He did.". . . So your empirical evidence that establish that birds were allegedly spoken into existence is WHAT?. . . .I did not make any claim weather birds came into existence by chance, You were the one that says that you have empirical evidence that establishes the claim that Yahweh created the birds by magically uttering Hebrew words. . .Where is that empirical evidence?

The major problem with my ignorance is that, I just cant find an alternative plausible explanation to the concepts I know and believe in. . .so please help me, since u are the scientist. . ,   , what is the source of the birds as we see them today? did they evolve from the dust?

I don't know how plants and animals came about, You claim you do and I will like to see your empirical evidence that shows that plants were magically brought into existence with Hebrew words. . . .

I appreciate ur honesty. . . u dont know how plants came about, but I do.
Genesis 2:5-6
5And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

6But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

verse 8:
8And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

9And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The genesis hypothesis claims that there was water and plants on earth BEFORE the sun and the other stars were magically created on the 4th day of creation according to the hypothesis. . . .How does this hypothesis agree with the scientific position with regards to solar and planetary formation?

and how do u read the bible?. . .upside down or what?
Genesis 1 gives us a Godly overview of the accounts of creation. . .while Genesis 2 gives us the human overview?
why then would God have to plant a garden and get it watered, as the verses above shows? why would the garden of eden be subject to the primordial definition of photosynthesis if ur assertions are true?
The point is that when God planted the first garden as is depicted in genesis 2 . . . . there was every scientific element (as we know of them today) that makes it possible for a plant to grow and survive.

Are you redefining the genesis hypothesis or are you trying to throw the hypothesis under the bus by saying it does not say what it says? According to the hypothesis there was soil on the surface of the earth(The earth was created before the sun) and the plants were created on the 3rd day of the 6 days of creation and the sun and stars were not created until the 4th day of creation, That is what the hypothesis says and that is what I will go by not your redefinition of what it says. . . .

and when did the plants start growing?

A little study on the scientific explanation for solar and lunar formation will show you. . . .According to the scientific explanation the sun came first then the planets and after that the moon. . . .How do you reconcile that with the genesis hypothesis that says the earth came first and that the moon and sun were created on the same day?. . . .

with due respect. ,  .  I find it absolutely ridiculous that I am being made to reconcile a scientific "attempt" at explaining the solar system with biblical accounts. I find this ridiculous simply because this "attempt" gives an order at which these elements came into existence by stating that the sun came into existence before the moon. . .yet this same scientific notion cannot explain just how the very origins of life as we see it today came into existence? how the pioneer concepts of life kick started? the very source of this life as we know it today? how then does the scientific notion of the sun coming first into existence become plausible?

However, Let me indulge you. . . . . . .
1. the bible gives no account of the creation of the other planets. what we know is that at a point in time called the BEGINING, the heavens (which includes the planets in question) were made. Their composition is not discussed as biblical analysis suggest that the earth was made for men.

2. if we analyse the biblical accounts we would realise that there was no form of life on the planet, prior to creation, as such it is plausible to state that the earth (in a lifeless state) existed long before the sun. To state that the earth came into existence after the sun was made is to suggest that the earth consist some form of life at the point of inception. . . . .there is NO scientific notion that makes this claim.

3. whether the sun was made before the moon or they were both made on the same day as stated by the bible. . is of little or no difference if u consider the fact that the sun gives the moon its light. . .but the moon rules predominantly at night.
unless I do not understand the context of ur poser.

The oil and gas all have natural explanations that does not require any input from any deity at all. . . . .Of course the sun, moon, planets and stars were created because we see them and we know what they are, we even have names for them that is not the issue, Do you know how the asteroids came about? If you do can you tell me? Did you god created the planets? How did he do it? Did he magically speak them into exsietence in Hebrew too?. . . .Saying that god did it explains NOTHING at all. . . .A better example lets assume that nobody really understands gravity or can provide substantial evidence for it. If I tell you that it exists because some invisible vacuum demons hidden in the Earth that cannot be experienced or seen by mere mortals put it there, What will you say? The fact that you cannot disprove that hypothesis, nor replace it with a better one, doesn't make it right at all. It makes it highly speculative at best, and more likely, just a convenient fiction. This my friend is the same with the God did it hypothesis. . . .It explains nothing beside the fact that it is only the default position of I don't know by the proponent of the god hypothesis as my man toneyb has said on another thread. . . .

and on what basis do u make this assertion?

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also

from verse 16 we understand that greater lights were made to give light to the earth. . . . . .would this not imply that the stars had other purposes?

How exactly does the moon rule anything by night?. . . .

Same to you. . . . wink

by being the predominant "element" in the sky at night.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Offer 7- Celebration Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's Birthday On 07/12/2013 / The Truth That John The Baptist Testified / The True Sons Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 324
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.