Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,733 members, 7,959,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:21 PM

My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? (1086 Views)

This ₦990k Made-In-Nigeria Keke Comes With Doors & Front/Reverse Cameras / Vilnius Mayor Crushes Benz With An 8Wheel Armoured Vehicle For Parking Illegally / Ways People Take Revenge On Bad Parking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by engrrichie92(m): 9:15am On Apr 19, 2017
Started driving like Jan this year
and after going from unsteady hands to my hands now being steady and now knowing how to measure my
car during driving(i struggled with it a lot and my car body parts paid severely for it, thank God for insurance)

Now i feel very comfortable driving and to add to my driving CV, have even driven pass the famous third mainland bridge(the first time was
really terrifying) but there is an issue, my reverse skills is till wack and i end up schooling myself right inside the car on where the car will go if i go this way or that way when im on reverse with angry drivers blaring horn here and there..i can annoyingly take time when trying to reverse and be very sure of how the car will move before i start(before i do 360 on a major road with my car)..yea, i may be that guy you swore for the other day for wasting your time..sorryyy!

This applies to my parking skills, i noticed if i dont get someone to direct me, i end up parking and when i step out, i just noticed the front end is one way, the "yansh" is another way(not that bad tho, but the point is i dont get it right most times without direction)

How do i improve, how do i make reversing part of me(i see some pros do it with ease and im like " when we i ever get to this point")
Im four months and still counting
Maybe i should just re-enrol in a driving school..

What do you think, i wanna be a pro-driver
Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by flowjoe: 11:16am On Apr 19, 2017
firstly, what transmission do u use?
Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by nurey(m): 11:33am On Apr 19, 2017
1. confidence

2. continuous training

dont let anyone lie to you, even pros always bash their car, hit divider, scratch other peoples car. No one is perfect.

whenever you are going to reverse or park and its tough, always allow other road users to pass by switching on you hazard light and waving your hand for them to go, Nigerian drivers are always in a hurry and their angry horn could cause you more damage than needed
Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 19, 2017
Going to a driving school might not help. You'll be amazed at the no of people that have driven for years but they can't reverse angry.

In addition to what has been said, I think you need to relax and understand the basics of reversing.
1)Don't be ashamed to do a 360 view. I still do this till date. When in a tight spot, don't just jump into your car and move_take a quick look round the car YOURSELF.

2)Ignore the popular misconception that when you wanna reverse to the right, you steer to the left and vice versa. When reversing, it's the back that obeys your steering, the front does the opposite. So,you should watch out for obstructions in your front and back too.

3)Reverse in slow motion, not like a snail sha... tongue

4)Know your steering, if your steer to an angle _you should straighten it (i.e) return your steering in equal or similar angle to achieve desired results (most times).

5)If you're close to a kerb/gutter _dip your side mirrors. Most modern side mirrors can be adjusted to whatever angle, use them to your advantage while reversing.

6)In all be confident, don't think too much. If you feel restrained while reversing, take off your seat belt. PRACTICE...and keep PRACTICING.

About your parking, there are spots you can never park straight in, using your front, you must use reverse. Maybe you've been dealing with such parking spots. If it isn't one of such spots, you've probably not mastered how to straighten your wheels.

P.s: I stand to be corrected... smiley.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by divinelove(m): 1:33pm On Apr 19, 2017
practice makes perfect cool cool cool cool cool
Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by Kaymaxine(m): 8:43pm On Apr 19, 2017
engrrichie92:
and after going from unsteady hands to my hands now being steady and now knowing how to measure my
car during driving(i struggled with it a lot and my car body parts paid severely for it, thank God for insurance)

Now i feel very comfortable driving and to add to my driving CV, have even driven pass the famous third mainland bridge(the first time was
really terrifying) but there is an issue, my reverse skills is till wack and i end up schooling myself right inside the car on where the car will go if i go this way or that way when im on reverse with angry drivers blaring horn here and there..i can annoyingly take time when trying to reverse and be very sure of how the car will move before i start(before i do 360 on a major road with my car)..yea, i may be that guy you swore for the other day for wasting your time..sorryyy!

This applies to my parking skills, i noticed if i dont get someone to direct me, i end up parking and when i step out, i just noticed the front end is one way, the "yansh" is another way(not that bad tho, but the point is i dont get it right most times without direction)

How do i improve, how do i make reversing part of me(i see some pros do it with ease and im like " when we i ever get to this point"wink

go park in front of ikeja cantonment. grin
Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 19, 2017
Make ur mirrors ur best friend while reversing. Trust me it won't take a long time before u perfect it. I hardly look back when reversing, 80% of the times I use my mirrors.

1 Like

Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by tahoe(m): 12:13am On Apr 20, 2017
The best thing when reversing or making a u turn on a narrow street is to look for 3 to 4 places to turn easily on the road. As a good driver evaluate each place and go for the easiest. Could be a ramp of a gate, just be patient I.e if possible allow cars which are close who could disturb your u turn go then do your thing.
Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by Lexusgs430: 2:57am On Apr 20, 2017
engrrichie92:

How do i improve, how do i make reversing part of me(i see some pros do it with ease and im like " when we i ever get to this point"wink

Look for 2 plastic drums, an open space and practice. Place a drum at the front, keep enough space for a car (don't cheat, not too much space), place another drum at the rear. Then try reverse parking into the space. Keep practicing and reducing the size, to fit a car with a bit of steering and skill manipulation.

3 Likes

Re: My Reverse And Parking Skills Is Still Imperfect..how Do I Improve? by Lexusgs430: 3:00am On Apr 20, 2017
engrrichie92:

Remember that when reverse parking your front shoots out into oncoming traffic, so be very observant and be patient.......... . .... ..
NB : Every driver on the road was once a learner....

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Would You Buy This 1991 Nissan That Is Faster Than A Bugatti Chiron For A $100k / All About Your Car Tyres: Help, Questions, Maintenance, Purchase, Repairs. / Biker Captures Heart-stopping Moment He Slids Under A Moving Truck And Survived

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.