Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,621 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car (3615 Views)

Last Moment Of Chika Ernest, The Pilot Of Helicopter That Crashed In Lagos / Meet Arthur Nwabufo, First Nigerian To Reach Antarctica With The Russian Fleet / This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Kingsasian(m): 9:07am On Apr 22, 2017
I saw this on tv yesterday. You need to see the way the car was flying over the snowy terrains. He tried.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 3:53pm On Apr 23, 2017
Kingsasian:
I saw this on tv yesterday. You need to see the way the car was flying over the snowy terrains. He tried.

The car was given a special wheel for that, the guy should have called me to join him on the trip

1 Like

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Kingsasian(m): 4:05pm On Apr 23, 2017
Explorers:

The car was given a special wheel for that, the guy should have called me to join him on the trip
yea large wheels
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by elkiddo: 2:47am On Apr 30, 2017
Explorers:
Sir Ernest Shackleton’s great-grandson becomes the first person to cross Antarctica in a family car after recreating the legendary British explorer's 3,500-mile trek 100 years later.

His great-grandfather was one of Britain's most famous explorers, and now Patrick Bergel has now entered the history books himself with a daring expedition.

The great-grandson of Sir Ernest Shackleton has become the first person to travel across Antarctica in a family car, battling snowstorms, merciless terrain and temperatures which plunged as low as minus 28C.

Bergel, 46, travelled more than 3,500 miles through the snow to commemorate Shackleton's heroic Transatlantic expedition of 1914 to 1917.

Bergel was part of a small team which spent December driving for 20 hours a day.

Details of the adventure have only been revealed today.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/793905/Sir-Ernest-Shackleton-grandson-Antarctica-family-car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4426094/Ernest-Shackleton-descendant-completes-Antarctica-mission.html
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Where did they get the fuel to undergo such a journey
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 3:33am On Apr 30, 2017
elkiddo:

Where did they get the fuel to undergo such a journey

Union Glacier station, airstrip refueling stop at the South Pole, and McMurdo gave them support.

Learnt the was specially built for the trip, the engine runs on less fuel.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beware Of The Uk’s New Immigration Rules / Luxembourg Visa / Ask Me Anything About Brazil And I'll Give You A First Hand Information

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.