Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil (17622 Views)

My Vehicle Jerks When Changing Gear / Car Vibration When Changing Gear / 9 Warning Signs Your Car's Oil & Lubricant Might Be Leaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by Harwoyeez(m): 11:14am On Apr 21, 2017
If u understand my quote well u will see I never dismissed the idea of it showing for oil change totally, was only letting him know it can show for anything needing maintenance
dandollar1:
not necessarily true. In hondas,the light comes up when there is need for oil change, and will also indicate some other maintenance functions to be carried out, such as rotation of tires and sorts.
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by surefx(m): 12:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
Driving on most Nigerian roads can be accurately described as severe driving conditions, with much dust, traffic jams or holdups, smoke, frequent acceleration / deceleration, etc.

It must be noted that there is also a time frame attached to oil-change intervals, e.g. 5000 km / 3 months (whichever comes first).

Also, an improperly tuned or faulty engine (eg. one that burns a lot of petrol and emits black smoke) will need even more frequent oil-changes than severe conditions, because of the high amounts of carbon-buildup, which can easily lead to increased engine wear.
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by uvalued(m): 2:40pm On Apr 21, 2017
obafemee80:

6) Using too expensive or too cheap a motor oil.

If your owner’s manual recommends synthetic oil, you should follow the recommendation, but otherwise using synthetic might be just a waste of money. Unless your car sees severe duty such as extreme engine temperatures (some turbocharged and supercharged vehicles fall into this category, as well as some high performance naturally aspirated engines), towing, or racing, conventional oil might be the right choice for you.

Synthetic is not recommended for use in some engines, for example in rotary engines where it can damage seals unless specific care is taken to choose a compatible synthetic oil.

7) Overtightening the filter or drain nut.

Some people seem to really like to tighten things as much as they possibly can, even when there is no reason to. Tightening a clean new oil filter with one hand is usually enough, and makes removing it much easier (you might not even need to use a wrench, sometimes just two hands are enough).

For the drain plug, if it doesn’t have a crush gasket, 20 to 25 ft-lbs is usually about right, while plugs with crush washers are usually tightened a bit more, around 30 to 35 ft-lbs. Overtightening will just cause you problems when it comes time to remove the filter or drain plug.

cool Not replacing the drain plug crush washer or oil filter cover o-ring.

On some cars, especially those designed in European countries, the oil drain plug will use a soft metal washer to seal it. These washers are often not reusable because they are crushed the first time the drain plug is tightened down.

If you don’t replace the washer, you may end up with a slow and annoying leak. If your car uses a replaceable oil filter cartridge instead of a normal filter, you might want to consider changing the oil filter cover o-ring at every oil change as well.

9) Not rotating your tires.

Oil changes often coincide with the tire manufacturers’ recommended tire rotation schedule (usually somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 miles). Rotating your tires every oil change can be quite a bit of work (especially if you don’t have a lift), but should help them wear more evenly and last longer.

10) Not keeping track of oil changes.

Usually when you get your oil changed at a shop they will place a sticker on your windshield telling you when the oil was last changed. The sticker acts as a reminder, and lets you know when the next oil change is due.

If you are changing your own oil, remember to keep track of the mileage and date, so you know when it’s time to do the next service. Otherwise, you’ll be trying to remember the exact date and mileage of your last change, or you may forget to do your oil change altogether.

http://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/maintenance-repair/10-major-mistakes-you-re-making-when-changing-your-car-oil-124900/

no car yet but good info

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by FlyboyZee: 2:43pm On Apr 21, 2017
Harwoyeez:
Yes boss....the light may show up for anything requiring u to do maintenance on n not necessarily oil change
You are wrong here dearie. 'Maintenance Required' or 'Change Oil Soon' indicator is strictly for oil change and nothing else...
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by FlyboyZee: 3:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
muller101:
New vehicles. Change the oil when millage is 5,000 on older vehicles. 3,000
Says who?
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by FlyboyZee: 3:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
chukzyfcbb:
Thank God this topic was bought up because i have a question I would like to ask;
When does a car need to have an oil change.?
if my manual says change every 5,000miles
does it necessarily mean when i have driven about 5,000miles from when bought then it deserves to be changed?

what if I drove for a year, very seldom and I never drove a total of 5,000miles, will it be safe to say there is no need to change my oil as the interval set by the manufacturer which is 5,000miles hasn't yet been reached
If the car manufacturer says 5,000 miles, it means 5,000 miles from the last time you changed the oil.

Most manufacturers give an option of either milage or time and with a condition that which ever comes first. For instance, Toyota advised oil change at 10,000km for its 2010 Prado or at 1 year intervals, whichever comes first. That is to say that if you cover 10,000km before 1 year's time, then change oil. If on the other hand, its been a year since your last oil change and you are yet to clock an interval of 10,000km, then change oil. I.e., if you get to the milage before the time for your next servicing, change oil. Or, if you get to your next servicing time before, clocking the milage, change oil and start counting again from the time you change the oil. QED...

1 Like

Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by muller101(m): 4:22pm On Apr 21, 2017
FlyboyZee:

Says who?
by a qualified auto technician
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by FlyboyZee: 9:39pm On Apr 21, 2017
muller101:
by a qualified auto technician
I guess he's wrong and by extension you are also wrong. The Owner's manual in your glove compartment is not part of the furnishings in your car, but a guide on how to get the best from your car and keep it running smooth and well. Please, do endeavour to read it and while you are at that, remember to stick to it's instructions as much as possible. EOD...
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by muller101(m): 11:02pm On Apr 21, 2017
FlyboyZee:

I guess he's wrong and by extension you are also wrong. The Owner's manual in your glove compartment is not part of the furnishings in your car, but a guide on how to get the best from your car and keep it running smooth and well. Please, do endeavour to read it and while you are at that, remember to stick to it's instructions as much as possible. EOD...
I see u know nothing about S.I engines. Sorry.
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by gateleo(m): 11:27pm On Apr 21, 2017
I have this 1998 camry V6 with mileage 160k. The recommended oil was 5w30. Pls which oil should I go for? Some said I should buy Nigeria Mobil full snythentic 5w30 or 0w40. Can I also use Mobil XHP .

Kindly suggest plsssss
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by gateleo(m): 6:26am On Apr 22, 2017
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by flecho: 7:56am On Apr 22, 2017
autotrader2:

Don't kid yourself. That your rx330 requires Toyota 5w30 oil. Call 09086679585 to get it

They are both high mileage cars, 5w30 burns out while 20w50 don't
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by routsz: 9:06pm On Apr 24, 2017
Kudos OP. My Rav4 of 7years had no issue with oil until few weeks ago when I replaced the rings and had to scrub d engine casing. Since then my engine consumes 4litres of oil every 3 weeks. I'd purchased genuine parts when I replaced d rings and Mechanic couldn't really tell why d abnormal oil consumption. Is there anything I need to do?

I didn't spot under-hood leakage though. Thanx.
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by FlyboyZee: 10:04pm On Apr 24, 2017
muller101:
I see u know nothing about S.I engines. Sorry.
Sorry dear, your reply is loading...
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by muller101(m): 5:45pm On Apr 25, 2017
FlyboyZee:

Sorry dear, your reply is loading...
novice get behind me.
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by erico2k2(m): 8:12pm On Apr 25, 2017
flecho:

Specifications are most important, as most engine can handle various viscosity.
Since you said that what is the specification for your own Engine?
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by erico2k2(m): 8:13pm On Apr 25, 2017
gateleo:
I have this 1998 camry V6 with mileage 160k. The recommended oil was 5w30. Pls which oil should I go for? Some said I should buy Nigeria Mobil full snythentic 5w30 or 0w40. Can I also use Mobil XHP .

Kindly suggest plsssss

Plz use what your car requires
Re: 10 Major Mistakes You're Making When Changing Your Car Oil by erico2k2(m): 8:14pm On Apr 25, 2017
sholarb:
Op, good stuff. In addition, engine oil needs to cool before it can be safely changed. If engine is hot, wait about 30 to 45mins after engine has been turned off before attempting oil change. Alot of mechnics dont know/do this. Always enforce them to adhere for the sake of your engine.
The oil should be warm a bit though, just enough not to fry your hand though lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying A Car: 12 Mistakes To Avoid / Nigerian Made Car / Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.