Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Language Of The Lecturer - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Language Of The Lecturer (371 Views)

Yobe Adopts Hausa As Language Of Instruction In Schools / Sex Scandal: Dr. Aduwo, Ekiti State University Lecturer Caught With Student / NANS React To The Lecturer That Slapped Unilorin SU President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Language Of The Lecturer by blacksand(f): 1:18pm On Apr 23, 2017
LANGUAGE OF THE LECTURER

What is the difference between academically excellent students and their not-so-good counterparts? Why is it that some students just tend to know exactly what will be coming up in the exams? Does that guy/girl always having excellent grades come up to you like a miracle? Haha...that's why I'm here; just ask Miracle.

I feel your pains: after reading the 500-page booklet (and grasping little), this lecturer comes up with questions from just one particular part of the text - the part you didn't concentrate on. I know the pains; I've felt it, that's why I'm writing about it.

I know you'd be like, "What the eff are past questions for?". Honey, I know that you could get areas of concentration from your past exam question papers...but then, what will be your fate in event of a totally new/different lecturer [with no established pattern of setting exam questions] now handling the course? Mind you, the lecturer may decide to change the question pattern established by the previous lecturer. Such events therefore nullify the benefits of those past question papers. How exactly then can you be able to predict the possible questions for the next exam? Let's get started.

First, let us establish a very important fact: all lecturers are human beings; and by virtue of this fact, let us establish another fact: all human beings are subject to the rules of human psychology, depending on their individual character types. A third fact is that, "there are some rules of human psychology that apply to all human beings irrespective of their individual character types". Such all encompassing rules include the desire of all human beings to elevate their ego; the urge to tell a secret; the desire for freedom, power, and independence etc. So, to correctly predict the lecturers' questions in the next exams, we'd have to apply these all encompassing rules.

A lecturer knows what he/she wants to set in the exams, even before the semester starts. That is to say that he/she knows a secret; and as a human being, he/she will have the urge to spit it out (i.e. to reveal the secret), but if he/she does so, it will be considered as "cheating", and it will also reduce his/her control over the class (who will pay attention to you talking about Plasmids when we already know that the exam questions will come from Protein Synthesis?). This is to say that most students pay attention in class because they don't know where the questions will come from. Like every temptation, the lecturer does not tell you, "Hey honey, the upcoming exams questions will be drawn from Protein Synthesis"; well, if there are lecturers like that...lucky for you; but typically, the lecturer tries to tell you the same thing using body language.

A lecturer's [body] language tells you exactly where to concentrate your studies for the upcoming exams. Such body language could be in the form of:

*Repetition/Emphasis -
You know he/she is talking exams when he/she goes like, "Hey, listen up. This is very important...". Honey, important for what? The funny thing is that they don't know when it comes out, but it comes out in one way or another e.g. "If I were you, I'd pay attention to this...", "Write this down..." etc

*Body Language/Movements -
"Alright, we're done with Plasmids. Let's do a little something on Protein Synthesis" [then he/she stands up]. That is, maybe he/she sat all through his/her talk on Plasmids, but now stands to talk on Protein Synthesis...or maybe he/she had a boring talk on Plasmids, only for him/her to develop a sudden burst of energy and enthusiasm while talking on Protein Synthesis...or maybe he just started writing on the board immediately he/she switched to Protein Synthesis. Lecturers don't like writing on the board, so, that should tell you that whatever he/she has deemed worthy of being written on the board is very important.

*End-Time Rush -
If a lecturer is still coming to teach you something new (maybe a fresh topic or subtopic) during the last two weeks to exam (revision week), honey, grab your googles 'cause that thing is coming out in the exams. Also, if a lecturer begs to have additional classes with you, take it serious. No lecturer will go out of his/her way to fix additional classes if he/she can help it or if the class can be done away with.

*Class work/Assignments -
Class works and assignments are given by certain lecturers to provide a sort of pre-practice for the likely exam questions. These provide a soft landing in case of first time failures (most tests, class works, and assignments account for just a tenth of the total mark for the course).

Conclusively, a good student needs to pay attention in order to decipher all of these...and it requires 100% attendance and fulltime consciousnesses and mental alertness.
Mark me: most academically excellent students pay attention in class and try not to miss class, not because they want to understand what the lecturer is saying (of course, they can read their books and understand), but because they don't want to miss out on the exam cues the lecturer is giving out.

[Checks time] Jeez! I've got to go, honey. Catch you later.

Do you have any topics you want covered in Academic Miracles by Miracle Uzoma, kindly drop such as comments.
For public seminars, contact Miracle Uzoma on:
~Facebook: Miracle Uzoma
~Twitter : @mirazoma
~E-mail : mioracle@mail.com

You like this post? LIKE this page to get more updates as they come in HOT.

To enlighten the masses...I am Miracle Uzoma, yours sincerely

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

P / Dr Ayamatagha Love Spear Caster / Get Your Project Topics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.