Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,667 members, 7,955,416 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:33 AM

Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? (5489 Views)

#NigeriaAt55: Evolution Of Nigerian Fashion Since 1960(photos) / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER / What Are The Current Nigerian Fashion Trends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Princek12(m): 12:46am On Jan 05, 2010
I was talking to a friend, a fashion designer, who is trying to involve herself with the Nigerian fashion industry, and I was concerned about what she said. She was still undecided about what name to use. When I suggested that she use her given name to market her brand, which is typical of many designers that we all know about--for example, Giorgio Armani, Vera Wang, Gianni Versaci, and the likes, she resisted, saying that her brand will not be marketable if she uses her given name to market her designs. Alarmed by what she said, I decided to do my own research.

After inquiring into the names of several of the preeminent Nigerian fashion designers, I discovered that a lot of them, if not all, do not use their given names to market their brand. For example, Folake Folarin Coker's line is called Tiffany Amber; Edith Okon's line is called House of Maufechi; Olabimpe Onipede's line is called Queen; Kelechi Ugoji's line is called Glee House; Bimpe Adebambo's line is called Beampeh; and Chibuzo Emeanu's line is called Amanjide.

The brand names under which our Nigerian designers market their designs are obviously Eurocentric in character. My people of Nairaland, do you think Nigerian designers are ashamed of using their names to market their products, or they are using Eurocentric names because marketing under their given names, which is customary in the fashion world, would not appeal to consumers? What do you guys think?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 05, 2010
Inferiority complex?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Outstrip(f): 7:26pm On Jan 05, 2010
I don't see why you call it shame. They are planning to market to different people and it is a fact that a name like let's say atutuboyoyo will not sell high fashion. If it happens to then fine but if a person takes a large amount of money and lets not forget time and body, soul, and spirit into a project then it only makes sense to use it to draw people in. Let's not be simplistic with this.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 05, 2010
Outstrip:

I don't see why you call it shame. They are planning to market to different people and it is a fact that a name like let's say [size=14pt]atutuboyoyo [/size]will not sell high fashion. If it happens to then fine but if a person takes a large amount of money and lets not forget time and body, soul, and spirit into a project then it only makes sense to use it to draw people in. Let's not be simplistic with this.
LOL LOL LOL LOL grin grin grin Too true
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Princek12(m): 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2010
Outstrip:

I don't see why you call it shame. They are planning to market to different people and it is a fact that [b]a name like let's say atutuboyoyo w[/b]ill not sell high fashion. If it happens to then fine but if a person takes a large amount of money and lets not forget time and body, soul, and spirit into a project then it only makes sense to use it to draw people in. Let's not be simplistic with this.
LMFAO. Where did you think of the that name --Atutuboboyo--you are crazy!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Outstrip(f): 12:32am On Jan 06, 2010
I think I heard basket mouth use it embarassed
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by MadMax1(f): 3:11am On Jan 06, 2010
Inferiority complex? Pretentiousness? Lack of imagination? Their own names are lovely. Seems to be a Nigerian thing. Other countries use their own names or geographical monikers and succeed in fashion. If they've been using their names the world would have gotten used to it and they'll probably have gone a lot farther in carving a niche internationally, since they'll be better respected. Nigerians in other professions succeed internationally with local names; in Hollywood and elsewhere. The didn't change names from from Adewale Agbaje or Chiweltel Ejiofor or Taiwo Ajayi Lycett to Tom Ford or Miguel Cruise or Francois Jolie out of blind imitation. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Princek12(m): 4:24am On Jan 06, 2010
Mad_Max:

Inferiority complex? Pretentiousness? Lack of imagination? Their own names are lovely. Seems to be a Nigerian thing. Other countries use their own names or geographical monikers and succeed in fashion. If they've been using their names the world would have gotten used to it and they'll probably have gone a lot farther in carving a niche internationally, since they'll be better respected. Nigerians in other professions succeed internationally with local names; in Hollywood and elsewhere. The didn't change names from from Adewale Agbaje or Chiweltel Ejiofor or Taiwo Ajayi Lycett to Tom Ford or Miguel Cruise or Francois Jolie out of blind imitation. undecided
You are right. If the had stuck to their names, the world would have gotten used to it by now, which will aid in carving out a niche for Nigerian fashion designers. Imagine a Nigerian designer marketing her line under Tiffany Amber?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Sissy3(f): 2:25am On Jan 07, 2010
i think also its has something to with our mindset. some nigerians/people will see things with such names as inferior in quality just because its has a "native" name to it. i always hear people say, that shoes made in a city(forgotten which city its) in nigeria is inferior which have prompted many shoemakers in that city to start using "made in china, italy"etc label just to sell market while in reality those "fancy"shoes are actually made in nigeria.

i however, dont see the big deal in them using foreign names for their labels, as long as products sell. . . .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Nobody: 7:07am On Jan 07, 2010
Yves Saint Laurent didnt think it was necessary to adopt an english name and here we are happy to pronounce it. It's thanks to italian designers we know that moschino is pronounced 'mos/ki/no'. When i start my business, God willing, i will give it a nigerian name. I don't know of anyone who didn't buy a good quality product because they couldn't pronounce the name on the label.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by yjay(f): 9:20am On Jan 07, 2010
Mad_Max:

@poster, i ve always wondered abt this topic, i really dont understand why they feel the need to use foreign names to market their brands
@Madmax, ure soooo rite on that, i feel that we fail to stretch our imagination beyond, i remember two beauty stores fighting for the same name & at the end of the day one of them had to add "e" to differentiate the two, & i was like geez there are so many names that u can pick from guys, think! think & be creative for crying out loud, sad
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by spikedcylinder: 10:35am On Jan 07, 2010
Princek12:
After inquiring into the names of several of the preeminent Nigerian fashion designers, I discovered that a lot of them, if not all, do not use their given names to market their brand. For example, Folake Folarin Coker's line is called Tiffany Amber; Edith Okon's line is called House of Maufechi; Olabimpe Onipede's line is called Queen; Kelechi Ugoji's line is called Glee House; Bimpe Adebambo's line is called Beampeh; and Chibuzo Emeanu's line is called Amanjide.

All these names you mentioned, the only one I find absolutely 'English' is Queen. The rest of them seem to be an anagram of their actual names or their names morphed into something else. A lot of well known designers go by their names or something afro centric. What's English about "Amanjide" or 'Maufechi'? Its neither here nor there abeg.
It may seem that the actual insecure person here is your friend who believes that unless she has an "english' name, she/he will not sell.
This is just crying foul over nothing. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by asha80(m): 2:40pm On Jan 07, 2010
Go and ask the Aba shoemaker.He will let you know the reason why it happens.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Outstrip(f): 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2010
spikedcylinder:

All these names you mentioned, the only one I find absolutely 'English' is Queen. The rest of them seem to be an anagram of their actual names or their names morphed into something else. A lot of well known designers go by their names or something afro centric. What's English about "Amanjide" or 'Maufechi'? Its neither here nor there abeg.
It may seem that the actual insecure person here is your friend who believes that unless she has an "english' name, she/he will not sell.

So right and even queen is okay because in the west it is not uncommon for a beautiful african woman to be referred to as African Queen so that makes sense. I agree Tiffany Amber is out there but the rest are just fine.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Princek12(m): 3:23am On Jan 08, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Tiffany Amber, Glee House, Beampeh, and House of Maufechi all sound Eurocentric to me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by MadMax1(f): 11:24am On Jan 08, 2010
spikedcylinder:

These aren't all the designers in the country. You need to take a roll call of their names and you'll see what the poster meant. As if you don't know. The poster who calls it a mindset is so right. It's not just fashion; eateries and boutiques, businesses seem to think quality inheres in an European-sounding name. Take a look at the stage names of many Nigerian musicians. It's fashionable now to change K to q to give it some Frenchy flava.Their music sef are ridiculous imitations of foreign fare. It's a mindset, and it's not just the fashion industry.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by TWayne: 10:21pm On Jan 18, 2010
Why shouldn't they? Not everyone wants their name plastered on their clothing. Others do it for anonymity. Others just want you to have an open mind when you come in contact with the clothing. But for whatever reason, I doubt it has anything to do with an inferiority complex.

I think Nigerians are too preoccupied with criticizing others. Why is he speaking with an accent, why dress like they do in the western world, why use a stage name, etc etc etc. It really is quite exasperating. People are too scared to be themselves in this society for fear of criticism which is why people end up doing things they don't want to do, e.g. getting married, just to please society. People please just live and let live!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Mcleo007(m): 5:24pm On Dec 02, 2010
@Poster, why do we go to church or mosque instead of baba alawo or ezenwayin? Or why do we have english names for baptism, as in ur username (Prince). There's nothing wrong with the names used; u shuld look rather at fashion idea the name portrays, thats all.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by InkedNerd(f): 3:29am On Dec 03, 2010
Ohhh, interesting thread. I'll chime in when it heats up a bit.

@OP: You have a point though. If I may ask, is this topic limited to just Nigerian based designers because I know a couple of African designers here in the US who use their names. Its quite marketable here in New York given the fact that African fashion week has passed and African prints were the "in thing" over the summer. Anyway, I'll chime in a bit more when I see some more response.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Nobody: 5:34am On Dec 03, 2010
Edith okon doesn't own House of Maufechi but rather it is owned by Maureen Onibanjo. The Maufechi is a conbination of both her name and mother's name.
There are a thousand others that use their names.get you fact straight ok?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by zaza1(m): 8:56pm On Dec 06, 2010
Poster na wa o, let me ask some questions
is NEXT the owners name?How about H&M?How about Mango?
Everybody has a creative license and can call their companies whatever they please,
Lets face it if Dolce and Gabbana did not have sweet names they will not call their company that, if one of them was called gregory higginbottom and the other was david foxworthy will they leave the name there>it is the ones with sweet names that leave their names there and a lot of them use fake names as well just so u know, if u saw a pair of trainers and the name on it was Ifeanyi would u buy it?, let us call a spade a spade, Ohimai Atafo knows his name is sweet so he called it Mai, we all know why most Nigerians wont use Nigerian names so i don;t know what this poster is saying, as a woman have u bought Tara's makeup or Banke Meshidas own?but u have Mac Iman etc, if they do a made in Nigeria car and call it Tunde c30,will u buy it, majority of us will not, she wants to sell so she has to give herself another name, that is the truth and you all know it

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by Mcleo007(m): 3:53pm On Dec 07, 2010
I repeat, there's nothin in a name(whether caucasian or african). Its the creativity the individual seeks to bring into fashion that matters. God willing, I'm starting a clothing line very soon along with my friend, and the brand name is a cojoining of our English names. So!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Fashion Designers Use Foreign Names For Their Brands? by sashaa(f): 8:52pm On Dec 07, 2010
Are Xoxo, phat farm, baby phat etc people's names?
Poster, plz don't be quick to criticize. Like someone rightly said, its d foreign designers with cute names that use it for their lines. And i'm sure the same critics on this thread will be the ones to ignore stores like 'oladimedji olusegun' or 'okoronkwo okorafor' and walk into ones like 'Tiffany Amber'

(1) (Reply)

Women Prefer Clean Shaven Pubic Grooming For The Guys! Do You Agree?? / Igbo Weddings - Latest Igbo Traditional Wedding Attire 2021 / 20 Gorgeous Asoebi Styles Inspired By The Colour Green

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.