Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? (1715 Views)

What Is A Framework? / Don't Be A Framework-infected Programmer / What You Need To Know Before Learning A Framework (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Knownpal(m): 7:11pm On Apr 24, 2017

Hello programmers, developers and engineers.

Q1
I am about to create a web app (business oriented) fully for the first time all by myself should I build it from scratch or learn and use a framework? The language to be used is PHP.

From scratch I mean the MVC will be built by me, There won't be Model in fact. Just a View and a Controller for each of the user's request . This is opposing to a framework like Laravel or Zend.

I certainly know to increase my learning I should build from scratch. To increase my CV I should learn a framework.

The front-end will be Bootstrap and JavaScript (jQuery inclusive).
Data will be handled by MySQL database.
Framework: No or x-framework.

Correct me if I'm getting anything wrong.

Q2
And can I port to any framework later in the future if I build from scratch, will it be efficient, not time costly or cash costly and also easy?
Since the app will be in a business world point of view.

dhtml CodeHouse and others
Others no vex o am on a small android phone so can't type or do copy and paste quickly. Thanks.

Please sound advice needed. Thanks.

Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by talk2hb1(m): 7:36pm On Apr 24, 2017
Knownpal:

Q1
I am about to create a web app (business oriented) fully for the first time all by myself should I build it from scratch or learn and use a framework? The language to be used is PHP.

From scratch I mean the MVC will be built by me, There won't be Model in fact. Just a View and a Controller for each of the user's request . This is opposing to a framework like Laravel or Zend.

I certainly know to increase my learning I should build from scratch. To increase my CV I should learn a framework.

Q2
And can I port to any framework later in the future if I build from scratch, will it be efficient, not time costly or cash costly and also easy?

Others no vex o am on a small android phone so can't type or do copy and paste quickly. Thanks.

Since its a play project code from scratch <Gbam>>

1 Like

Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Knownpal(m): 8:26pm On Apr 24, 2017
talk2hb1:
Since its a play project code from scratch <Gbam>>
It's not a play project. Business is not play.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Dekatron(m): 8:59pm On Apr 24, 2017
Knownpal:

My nigga, use a goddamn framework.

A framework will resolve a lot of issues for you, protect you from attacks, handle your DB easily, etc.

Yes, you can port to a framework if you code from scratch. But why the headache?

All I said is based on the fact that you said its for business.

1 Like

Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by jidez007: 9:18pm On Apr 24, 2017
You will also learn when you use a Framework, just make sure you take a look at the source code of a feature you are using once in a while.

If you take your time to learn a Framework now, it will really save you more time on projects.

It is very easy to write unsecured code in php, but if you use a Framework you will be leveraging on the experience of a vast number of people, since most Frameworks are open source.

It may not be easy porting your code a Framework, since you have to test every part you are copying / rewriting.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by CodeHouse: 9:22pm On Apr 24, 2017
Knownpal:

Q1

Q2

I prefer to write from scratch, but you must consider your knowledge base first, if not we sometimes need one or two resources to keep up with time but basically, I write from scratch so that I can have control over it. Using framework is not bad but what happens if they cease to exist or for some reason, stopped update and your whole project is solely dependent on their resources.

Also, you need to consider timing, if you are developing for a client, pls use framework if you must to keep up with client demands.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Knownpal(m): 9:32pm On Apr 24, 2017
Dekatron:

My nigga, use a goddamn framework.

A framework will resolve a lot of issues for you, protect you from attacks, handle your DB easily, etc.

Yes, you can port to a framework if you code from scratch. But why the headache?

All I said is based on the fact that you said its for business.

Its for business Sir. Thanks.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Knownpal(m): 9:32pm On Apr 24, 2017
jidez007:
You will also learn when you use a Framework, just make sure you take a look at the source code of a feature you are using once in a while.

If you take your time to learn a Framework now, it will really save you more time on projects.

It is very easy to write unsecured code in php, but if you use a Framework you will be leveraging on the experience of a vast number of people, since most Frameworks are open source.

It may not be easy porting your code a Framework, since you have to test every part you are copying / rewriting.

Thanks. Actually I'm looking at timing. The time to learn the framework. I have this funny learning process that I must be versatile with library or language am using before going into full production of any kind, this might force me to learn as I code the web app.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Knownpal(m): 9:41pm On Apr 24, 2017
CodeHouse:

I prefer to write from scratch, but you must consider your knowledge base first, if not we sometimes need one or two resources to keep up with time but basically, I write from scratch so that I can have control over it. Using framework is not bad but what happens if they cease to exist or for some reason, stopped update and your whole project is solely dependent on their resources.

Also, you need to consider timing, if you are developing for a client, pls use framework if you must to keep up with client demands.

Thanks Sir. I read that one might be limited as a result of using a framework and that gave me a goosebumps because all I wanted is control. Keeping up with client demands hmmm one needs to learn a framework.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by talk2hb1(m): 10:45pm On Apr 24, 2017
Knownpal:

Then you dont need any answer, because you know what you want in the first place, you only want external affirmation.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by jidez007: 1:13am On Apr 25, 2017
Knownpal:

Thanks. Actually I'm looking at timing. The time to learn the framework. I have this funny learning process that I must be versatile with library or language am using before going into full production of any kind, this might force me to learn as I code the web app.

If you are experienced enough and know about the common php security pitfalls and how to avoid them, then carry on. If not you may want to look at the advantages of using Frameworks. In my opinion setting aside time to learn how to use a framework and follow coding conventions isn't a waste of time.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by asalimpo(m): 2:10am On Apr 25, 2017
if there's a client buying your services - then you should do that which will deliver the best value at the least cost. And time is a cost.
If it is a project you are working on on your own for yourself, they are pros and cons. Take time to think thoroughly because in the future it will be harder or more expensive to change.
code from scratch:
You'll understand the code base deeply,cuz you know all its parts.
You'll learn at a much deeper level than would be if u used a framework.
this is cuz your project is like a kind of research work. When you complete it, you acquired higher practical knowledge.
You'll be training some other non technical muscles - like patience, testing, problem solving and handling complexity. You can use this assets when called upon to tackle non typical problems.
You can eventually create your own framework and publish it to the world,presenting your own view of doing things. You can critique other frameworks because you have to perspective to do so.
You can easily modify and extend it.
You'll build your problem solving skills,which will make you more valuable-which will make your more desirable
to an employer. E.g if you code nairaland from scratch, and dont use frameworks, you'll know more about
how to create a forum and will be more valuable to nairaland if the want a forum designer even though
they may scream on their expectations that dont apply if you dont know framework x,y,z.
So the issue isnt really one of framework on c.v but increasing your value to boost your career in the long run,
whether clients appreciate it or not.

Cons
if you app is large, your team will have to use an inhouse framework, and hire people who can "learn fast"
but it will be easier if you can have some1 who already knows an established framework already.
- Training cost of new hires to use ur inhouse framework is using company resources that could have been channelled to other things.
On the other hand, some1 who knows framework x, has already incurred the training cost. You are saved.
- New hires who are smart will think twice about learning proprietary framework,or knowledge that is not transferable outside a particular employer. They'll decamp quick.

Use a framework:
cons - high learning cost
- bloat. They include everything and so are large - you have to add megabytes of source when you just need little functionality
- locked into frameworks way of doing things
- everything is black magic to you at the framework level, you are essentially a cobbler.
cobbling apis together

pros - see wht i mentioned earlier

The choice is up to you. You choose.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by mrdino(m): 8:30am On Apr 25, 2017
asalimpo:
if there's a client buying your services - then you should do that which will deliver the best value at the least cost. And time is a cost.
If it is a project you are working on on your own for yourself, they are pros and cons. Take time to think thoroughly because in the future it will be harder or more expensive to change.
code from scratch:
You'll understand the code base deeply,cuz you know all its parts.
You'll learn at a much deeper level than would be if u used a framework.
this is cuz your project is like a kind of research work. When you complete it, you acquired higher practical knowledge.
You'll be training some other non technical muscles - like patience, testing, problem solving and handling complexity. You can use this assets when called upon to tackle non typical problems.
You can eventually create your own framework and publish it to the world,presenting your own view of doing things. You can critique other frameworks because you have to perspective to do so.
You can easily modify and extend it.
You'll build your problem solving skills,which will make you more valuable-which will make your more desirable
to an employer. E.g if you code nairaland from scratch, and dont use frameworks, you'll know more about
how to create a forum and will be more valuable to nairaland if the want a forum designer even though
they may scream on their expectations that dont apply if you dont know framework x,y,z.
So the issue isnt really one of framework on c.v but increasing your value to boost your career in the long run,
whether clients appreciate it or not.

Cons
if you app is large, your team will have to use an inhouse framework, and hire people who can "learn fast"
but it will be easier if you can have some1 who already knows an established framework already.
- Training cost of new hires to use ur inhouse framework is using company resources that could have been channelled to other things.
On the other hand, some1 who knows framework x, has already incurred the training cost. You are saved.
- New hires who are smart will think twice about learning proprietary framework,or knowledge that is not transferable outside a particular employer. They'll decamp quick.

Use a framework:
cons - high learning cost
- bloat. They include everything and so are large - you have to add megabytes of source when you just need little functionality
- locked into frameworks way of doing things
- everything is black magic to you at the framework level, you are essentially a cobbler.
cobbling apis together

pros - see wht i mentioned earlier

The choice is up to you. You choose.
In my honest opinion, this is the best advice so far.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by jboy01(m): 8:28pm On Apr 25, 2017
CodeHouse:

to speed up your development, it advisable to use framework, but it is good to know php well before using framework.
when you are good with the language and the framework stop updating it libraries, you can write your own library or patch for the framework to solve your problems.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by CodeHouse: 10:24am On Apr 26, 2017
jboy01:

to speed up your development, it advisable to use framework, but it is good to know php well before using framework.
when you are good with the language and the framework stop updating it libraries, you can write your own library or patch for the framework to solve your problems.

I still prefer to write from scratch, if you are writing a project on core programming language like C and its dialects, you won't find any framework to work with, mostly when you hear framework, the web comes to mind.

I write from scratch bro and just like I mentioned in my first post, using framework is not bad, also depends on the programmer, the client and time in between project delivery.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by jboy01(m): 11:43am On Apr 26, 2017
CodeHouse:

I still prefer to write from scratch, if you are writing a project on core programming language like C and its dialects, you won't find any framework to work with, mostly when you hear framework, the web comes to mind.

I write from scratch bro and just like I mentioned in my first post, using framework is not bad, also depends on the programmer, the client and time in between project delivery.
you are right, most framework deals with web technology, e.g ionic, reactmobile, etc (web tech for mobile application), electron (web tech for desktop app) and tons of frameworks for web development itself. writing from scratch is not bad, but to maintain the code alone when the application become large is the problem.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by klefjoxey: 3:02pm On Apr 26, 2017
Knownpal:

Q1

Q2

I will advice you to use a framework. Its just like saying you want to cook beans and instead of you to buy beans and cook so you can eat early you decide to plant your own and wait for a month to harvest before cooking. Its a waste of time to start from scratch, that is why this frameworks are available because of faster development.
Re: Should I Build From Scratch Or Use A Framework? by Knownpal(m): 11:31am On May 30, 2017
Dekatron, jidez007, talk2hb1, asalimpo, mrdino, jboy01, klefjoxey, CodeHouse

Thank you all.

After contemplation and weighing what the conditions on ground are, 2 days after I posted this I took up Laravel to learn, and under a month I've built the app. On May 27th 2017, it was used by two of my customers. grin.

After the usage I now know where to work on the more. Thank You all for you various forms of advice and explanations.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You developers advertise Your New App? / UI And OAU Proof Of English Proficiency (certificate Of Medium Of Instruction) / Certified Ethical Hacker Vs Certified Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.