Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) (15994 Views)

The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Adaobi (A Story Of Love, Romance And Adventure) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by EvaJael(f): 1:25pm On Jun 16, 2017
Team Rob and Lori
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Amenaghwon: 2:04pm On Jun 16, 2017
Nnena, you are like a breath of fresh air, thanks for this. Rob and Lori, I'm watching.
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by hormobolanle: 3:47pm On Jun 22, 2017
Wat is happening Na no more updates? Na wen I Don dy enjoy day story update Kon stop. diaris God o
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by queenitee(f): 4:10pm On Jun 22, 2017
Madam Nnenna how are you?
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 11:51pm On Jun 30, 2017
i know i have wronged you guys and am deeply sorry. my phone is a little bit spoilt and the money to repair is much so saving much to buy my dream phone till then sha which would be anytime soon. pleases guys am deeply sorry. N.B am preparing for an online competition would tell you guys about it later.queenitee amenaghwon evajael stephengee12 and homorbolanle

Much later, the bar is mostly empty. Marcus
comes over to sit beside an Rob who has
pretty much been moping on and off since
Lori left.

"She's not dead, Rob," Marcus says, sitting
down next to him.

"May as well be. I'll probably never see her
again."

"You don't know that. I saw you walk her out
before."

"Yeah."

"Did you kiss her?"

"She let me hug her. For a few seconds. I think
I may have kissed the top of her head."

"You think? You don't know?"

"Pretty sure I did."

"Rob, listen," Marcus says, leaning back in his
chair. "You're clearly in love with her."

"Shh…" Rob shushes him.

"Why? Who's left here? Gareth? Got news for
you, mate, he already knows."

"You told?"

"Didn't have to. He's smarter than he looks.

Anyway, you want to be with her?"

"Yes."

"Then go somewhere where you can be
together. Leave. Go north. It's legal there,
right?"

"Leave? I've lived here all my life, Marcus. So has
Loretta." Rob sounds unsure, but he looks
as though he is thinking it over.

"Rob, do you love Lori?"

"Yes."

"You can't be together here. I mean, look at my
mum and me. She didn't like how things were
where we lived, so we left. Easy."

"It's not easy, Marcus."

"Yes, it is, Rob."

"Where would I go?"

"Don't you have family up north? A cousin or
something in… Minnesota?" Marcus asks,
gesturing vaguely.

"Uncle George, in Milwaukee. That's Wisconsin."

"He's a lawyer as well, I assume?"

"Of course."

"Call him. I'd be willing to bet he'll have a place
for you at the northern branch of Carter
Law."

"What about Loretta?"

"Surely there are schools in Milwaukee, Rob."

"But…"

"What now?"

"What if she says no?"

"Then she says no. But you won't know unless
you ask."

1 Like

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 12:01am On Jul 01, 2017
Tuesday morning, Rob finishes up his paperwork from the trial. He left the billing business to Liam, unable to face extracting money from his Loretta. It feels like theft.

He has trouble keeping his mind on his work, his brain drifting between thoughts of calling his uncle and the dream he had last night.

I soar above the city, one arm outstretched, the other holding Loretta to my side. My Lois Lane.

My red cape flaps in the wind behind us as we ascend to the stars, and I steer north, leaving Memphis behind us.

"Rob?" Shawn pokes his head in the door, snapping Rob out of his Superman dream memory.

"Yeah? Oh, hey, Pop."

"Congratulations. You did us proud. You did yourself proud, Son."

"Thanks, Dad. Luck was on our side, though.

Man was a grade-A sleaze."

"Well, he's going to be put away for probably the rest of his life now, because of your efforts.

Well done."

"Thanks," Rob says again.

"So would you care to explain to me why it looks like someone just shot your dog, then?"

Shawn sits.

"What? Oh. Just a bit tired, I guess. Adrenaline from the trial has worn off," Rob says. Marcus was right. I have to stop being so obvious.

"So, nothing to do with a pretty colored girl whom you no longer have an excuse to see regularly?" Shawn pries.

"Maybe a little," Rob admits.

"Or a lot," Shawn corrects. "Rob, it's for the best. It can't happen, not here. I'm sorry you're upset, but until the law changes, that's how it is. And unfortunately, we don't know when that law will change. If it ever will. Try to put your feelings aside, Rob. It's just too dangerous for her."

"I know," Rob says with a sigh. "Thanks, Dad.

I'm glad I was able to show you that I'm capable of more than handling traffic violations."

"Oh, I knew that all along, Rob. But I also know that you never like having anything just handed to you," Shawn says, chuckling. He stands. "All right. I'll let you finish your work there. Have lunch with me?"

"I have plans already," Rob lies. "Rain check?"

"Okay," Shawn nods, and turns to leave.

"Oh, hey, Pop?"

"Yes?"

"I'm supposed to tell you that… Bob Carlson says hello."

Shawn just snorts a laugh, obviously in on the same secret joke that the FBI agent was smirking about, and leaves.

The door closes, and Rob counts to ten, just to make sure his father is gone. Then he flips through the Rolodex on his desk and finds the number he is looking for.

A minute later, a friendly voice answers the phone. "Carter Law Offices, this is Helen, may I help you?"

"Helen, Robert Carter. How are you?"

"Mr. Carter! How nice to hear from you. I'm very good, how are things down south?"

"Probably warmer than they are in Milwaukee," he jokes.

"Probably? Try definitely."

Rob chuckles. "Is George available?"

"Yes, he's in. I'll transfer you. Take care," she says.

"Thanks, you too."

A moment later Rob hears his uncle's voice.

"George Carter."

"Uncle George?"

"Rob! This is a pleasant surprise. What can I do for you, my boy?"

"Well, I'm actually wondering if you can help me with something," Rob says, tapping his pen on his desktop nervously.

"Anything for my favorite nephew," Gaius says indulgently.

"I'm going to bypass the fact that I'm your only nephew," Rob says. "But I possibly need a favor. Quite a large one. Maybe."

1 Like

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 12:05am On Jul 01, 2017
"Really, Lori? You want to do this? I mean, thank you, but don't you need it?" The principal of Lori's school is sitting at his desk, staring at the check in his hands.

"Not really," Lori shrugs. "Elliot and I paid off the mortgage on our house first, and then we split the rest of the settlement."

"This isn't all of your share, is it?" he asks, setting the check on his desk, swiping his hand up over his bald brown head, a nervous gesture he gets when he's agitated. Probably why he's bald. He rubbed all his hair off.

"I kept a little for myself," she tells him. Not that it's any of your business. "But I want this school to have something. Buy some new books for the children. Replace those broken swings in the playground. I just hate it that everything we have is secondhand just because we're a colored school."

"You're insisting?"

"I am. Make sure it gets used on things for the children, Earl. Promise me."

"I promise, Lori. For the children. Thank you.

And congratulations on winning your case."

Lori stands. "Technically, we settled. But I reckon that's still a win. Plus a no-good child rapist got put where he belongs, so more's the better."

"What?" Earl asks.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Earl, didn't you read the papers this mornin'? It was on the front page."

"Oh…" he leans over, reaching for a newspaper on the windowsill behind him. "Oh. Oh. "

"Trial took an unexpected turn," Lori chuckles. Unexpected for Alined, that is. "Have a good one, Earl."

"Hmm?" the principal is absorbed in the article now. "Oh, yes, you too, Lori."

1 Like

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 9:37am On Jul 01, 2017
Lori spends the afternoon at home, catching up on laundry and housework, two things that have languished while she concentrated on the trial.

"I came straight up here and took a long, hot bubble bath." Scrubbing her bathtub, she remembers saying this to Rob on Sunday. Why on earth did I tell him that? Obviously I wasn't thinking. Obviously it put images in his head. I just can't think straight around him sometimes.

She leans back and turns the water on, rinsing the cleanser down the drain, swishing the water with her hand to get it all rinsed.

I wonder what he's doin' right now? Surely not scrubbin' his bathtub. She chuckles to herself as the image of Rob scrubbing anything crosses her mind's eye.

Lori stands and wipes her hands on the apron she is wearing. She looks at her reflection in the mirror, her face slightly sweaty from working, her hair held back in a kerchief to keep it out of her way. I look like someone's maid, she thinks, frowning at herself. I am also done cleaning. Tired.

She turns the faucet on in the sink and leans forward, splashing cool water on her face. She dries her face, pulls the scarf from her head, and re-secures the ponytail in back, choosing to leave it in for the time being. As she reaches for the ties of her apron, she hears a knock at her door.

"Lori? You in?"

"Yes, Elliot what do you want?" she calls back.

"I brought home some pork chops and greens from the market that are just beggin' for some love from my big sister."

Lori sighs and leaves her apron on, walking to the door.

" They are begging, or you?" She open the door and gives him the look she learned from her mama.

"Okay, me. Cook us supper?"

It'll keep my mind off of other things, she decides. Things I need to stop thinkin' about.

After dinner, Elliot announces that he's going to meet Latoya at Gareth's and actually asks if Lori wants to come along.

"No, I don't think so," she says. Rob might be there, a nagging voice inside mentions. "I'm still dead tired; I think I'm going to go upstairs and look at the television."

As Elliot drives off in his truck, Lori heads upstairs and pulls her apron off finally, depositing it in the hamper. She goes into her bedroom, intending to just put her pajamas on and make an early evening of it when she glances out her bedroom window and sees what she thinks is a familiar figure outside. Is that Rob? What is he doin' here?

Wait… why is he walkin' away?

She watches him drop into the seat of his car, but he doesn't start the engine. He sits. Then he gets out again. He starts walking back to the house, gets halfway there, and stops.

Suddenly wide awake, Lori holds her breath and hides behind the drapes, not sure if she wants him to see her peeking.

He turns around and goes back to his car again, and she slumps against the wall.

It hurts, she realizes. This is what it feels like when your heart breaks.

She hears his car start and, before she can think, she grabs the keys to the Impala and runs down the stairs and out the door.

I'm gonna get arrested for being in this neighborhood, she thinks as she walks slowly up to the door of his building. She scans the list of buttons, finding the one with R. Carter next to it and pressing it.

"Hello?"

She almost loses her nerve. "…Rob?"

"Loretta?"

"Yes… can I—"

A crass buzzing sound interrupts her before she can even ask, and she pulls the door open and enters the building, climbing the stairs to the second floor.

She knocks quietly on the door and he opens it immediately. She steps inside without a word.

"Loretta, I…"

"I followed you here," she says. "I saw you. Out the window."

"I…"

The look on his face tears at Lori's heart. She wouldn't have thought that a single person could feel so many emotions at once. My face probably looks similar, she realizes.

"I'm scared, Loretta," he finally says. "Now that the trial's over… I'm scared that I'll never see you again. The thought of not getting to see you every day, not getting to spend time with you anymore, just…"

They are standing just inside his door, staring at each other, both too afraid to move, too afraid to speak their true feelings.

"I know," she whispers.

"You do?"

She nods, blinking back tears that she can't explain.

"I…" he trails off a moment, trying to summon his courage. "Would you like to sit?" he blurts.

"Yes, thank you," she says, exhaling heavily. He ushers her to a leather sofa, sitting beside her.

"Loretta," he starts again, his fingers drumming nervously on his knees, "I think… I think I'm in love with you."

Lori gasps. Her heart races. She feels warm all over. Then he takes her hand softly in his and she feels slightly faint.

"No… I know I'm in love with you. I've never met anyone like you. You've turned my world on its head, and I've… I've never been happier than I am when I'm with you."

"Rob, I…"

"If you tell me you don't feel the same, I will never bother you again," he whispers, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Rob, if I didn't feel the same I wouldn't have followed you across town," she says.

"Oh," he says dumbly, opening his eyes, which are suddenly lit with some mysterious inner flame that Lori can feel burning in her belly.

She closes her eyes. "I do love you, Rob," she admits. "I've loved you for probably longer than I'd be willing to admit."

He smiles then, and exhales the breath that she didn't know he was holding.

"So what now?" she asks, her heart dropping again as she lets reality creep in.

"Well," Rob says, studying her slender hand clasped in his, noting how small it looks compared to his own. He strokes the soft brown skin on the back of her hand with his thumb once, and continues. "Long term, I'm not sure yet. But right now… I'd really like to kiss you."

1 Like

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 9:55am On Jul 01, 2017
Lori gasps softly, her lush lips parting, and all Rob wants to do is dive into them and never look back. Instead, he swallows and says, "That is, if I have your permission."

Unable to speak, Lori nods, her heart pounding furiously as he leans towards her, his free hand rising to cup her cheek and gently tilt her face to meet him.

His lips touch hers, soft, undemanding. Almost polite. Rob's eyes flutter closed and the hand he is not holding comes to rest on his upper arm. She feels him start to withdraw and suffers the briefest moment of panic. Her body acts once again before her brain can catch up, squeezing his arm just a little and leaning forward slightly, pressing her lips more firmly against his.

Don't go away yet, she seems to say. Rob's hand moves slightly, his fingers brushing the soft curls behind her ear, his thumb stroking the soft skin of her cheek. He fights the urge to slant his mouth hungrily over hers and part her delicious lips with his greedy tongue.

You are a gentleman.

Finally they break away from each other, their lungs crying out for air. They stare into each other's eyes, breathing heavily, reeling.

"Come away with me," Rob finally says, his voice soft but rushed, as if he is afraid there is someone listening at the door, someone who is going to burst in and snatch her away from him.

"What?" Lori asks. Did he just say what I thought he said?

He lifts her hand and presses it to his chest, and Lori can feel his heart pounding furiously beneath her palm. "I… I want to be with you, Loretta. I love you. I need you. But we can't be together here. Let me take you away, to somewhere where we'd be allowed to be us.

Where we could even be… married."

Married?

"Oh my…" she breathes, unable to form any coherent thoughts yet.

"Do you feel my heart, Loretta? This is what you do to me. I just think about you and it starts to beatin' like this."

"Robert…"

He drops his hand from over hers, thinking she's about to turn him down. But to his surprise, she leaves her hand there, over his heart.

"It's just so much..." she starts. "In a few short moments we've gone from 'I'll miss spending time with you' to 'I love you' to 'let's run away and get married.' My mind is all a-flurry…"

"I'm going to kiss you again," he says, then leans over before she has a chance to answer.

My, but his lips are soft. The thought floats unbidden into Lori's brain. Rob's hand is at her cheek again; his other tentatively touches her waist, holding her gently. Her fingers curl against his chest, catching on his shirt buttons.

This kiss is slightly different. It's less polite, more ardent, as if he is trying to convince her without using words.

Rob breaks the kiss this time, gazing into her lovely brown eyes as he backs away.

"I can't think when you do that…" she says, gasping slightly, finally dropping her hand from his chest.

"That means I'm doin' it right," he says, a small impish grin playing about his lips. "And I ain't even kissed you properly yet," he adds, muttering almost to himself.

Her eyes widen at that prospect for just a moment, but then she stands and moves a distance away. "I just need to think a minute," she says. "And I can't do that when you're so close."

"What's to think about?" Rob asks. "You love me?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to spend the rest of your life by my side and let me take care of you and love you and make you feel like you are the luckiest woman who ever walked the earth?"

Oh, Lord. "Yes," she says quietly, overwhelmed.

"Then come to Milwaukee with me."

"Milwaukee?"

"I have an uncle there. He's willing to take us in for a bit. To help us out. And mixed race marriage ain't illegal in Wisconsin."

"Rob, do you really think your daddy's gonna let you spend his money so you can run off and marry a colored girl?" she asks, confusing tears pooling in her eyes now.

"I don't need his money, Loretta. I have my own. And you have… you didn't keep any of your settlement money, did you?" It's more of a statement than it is a question.

She looks down. "I kept a little. We paid off the house before we split it. Then I gave most of my share to my school."

Rob smiles. "Smart girl. I knew it from the first moment I saw you."

"Rob what do you mean, you have your own money?"

He stands and crosses to her. "I have a trust fund from my mother. I wasn't able to touch it till I was 25. I've been 25 for six months now.

It's just sittin' there, waitin' to be cashed in."

"How much?" she asks quietly, knowing full well that it's none of her business but also knowing full well he'll willingly tell her.

"I don't exactly know," he says, furrowing his brow. "Somewhere around eleven million dollars, I think."

Her face is blank. "I can't even comprehend that amount of money, Rob," she finally says, her mind reeling. She turns slightly, toward the window

"Please?" His voice is quiet, plaintive.

Lori sighs. "Just because we're allowed to get married there doesn't mean that people are gonna necessarily like the idea, Rob," she says, looking out the window, down at the darkening street.

"Do you like the idea?" he asks, standing right behind her but not touching.

"Yes," she whispers.

"I know I like the idea. What do we care whether anyone else likes it?"

"Rob…" she sighs.

"Look, I realize that it won't always be smooth sailing," he says, stepping even closer, his hands on her upper arms, rubbing up and down, "but I'm willing to take the risk, because you are worth it to me. The rewards outweigh the dangers, as far as I can see." He leans forward and kisses the top of her head.

"When?" she finally says.

"We can leave right now if you want," he says, and she can hear the smile in his voice.

"Rob, don't talk nonsense! We've got jobs, you gotta tell your Daddy, I gotta tell Elliot. Oh, Lord, Elliot…"

"If it's all the same to you, I don't wanna be there when you tell him," Rob says.

" I don't wanna be there when I tell him," she says dryly, turning around now. "But he deserves to know. We can't just sneak off in the middle of the night like a couple of criminals."

"Will your work be a problem?" Rob asks, his fingers toying with a curl at her shoulder.

"Prob'ly not. I've been gone so much this fall between Daddy's death and the trial, and I'm sure the substitute teacher'd jump at the chance to have my job."

"So, when? Soon, please…"

"What day is today? Lord, I don't even know the day anymore…"

"Tuesday," he says softly, his finger tracing the line of her jaw.

She closes her eyes. "Saturday?"

Rob smiles broadly. "Saturday," he repeats, pulling her to him and wrapping her in his arms.

He feels her arms move around his waist and his heart soars as they stand there, just holding each other close.

He pulls back slightly and lifts her chin again, slowly moving them away from the window. "I think we need to seal our agreement. Properly," he purrs, implications plain in his voice.

"Properly?" she asks, suddenly feeling at least ten degrees warmer.

"Mmm-hmm," he says, swooping down to capture her lips with his, swiftly and softly, gently taking her lower lip between his, savoring the succulent flesh. His tongue slips forward now, and he feels the jolt that runs through her when his tongue caresses her upper lip, coaxing her lips apart for him.

Lori whimpers softly and parts her lips, allowing his tongue to slide in between them.

Her curious tongue touches his once, a soft flick, and his arms tighten around her. So she does it again, and again, until their tongues are dancing, caressing each other within the confines of their joined mouths, the world and all its troubles forgotten for just a few moments.

Finally they release one another, breathless and scattered, wanting more but not daring to take it.

"I declare," Lori whispers, "there was nothing proper about that at all. "

Rob looks mortified for a moment, afraid he's pushed too far, too soon. Then he sees the glimmer in her eye as she stands there literally fanning herself with her hand, and his face splits into a grin.

3 Likes

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by EvaJael(f): 12:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
I'll always be here to read no matter how long you take dear
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Amenaghwon: 6:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
I am following always, you write so beautifully. But I await my own Rob with eleven million dollars.

1 Like

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 12:56pm On Jul 02, 2017

Lori tells him the next night. Already wrung out from trying to explain why she's leaving to both her morning and afternoon students, she decides to get it all out of the way right away, like tearing a bandage off.

Because she really doesn't have much time.

"Elliot, I need to talk to you," Lori says after supper. Tonight she willingly cooked for him, deciding to try and ply him with her good cooking before dropping a nuclear bomb on him.

"What about?" Elliot asks.

"I'm… I'm movin'."

"Oh. Um, okay. Don't want to live above your brother anymore? I won't ask you to cook supper for me so much…"

"I'm movin' away, Elliot. Out of Memphis," she interrupts quietly.

"What?"

"I'm fixin' to move up north. With… with Rob."

" What?"

"We want to get married."

Elliot leaps to his feet, nearly toppling his chair.

"You knocked up? So help me, if he got you pregnant, I am gon' kill him," he fumes, starting for the door as he talks, his hands balled into tight fists. "I don't care, he's gon' die… "

" Elliot Thomas, you come back here and sit your butt down this instant! " Lori yells, her voice indignant.

Elliot stops in his tracks. She sounds just like Mama used to. He turns around and comes back to the table, watching her standing there, fists on her hips and fire in her eyes. He meekly sits.

"Is that the kind of girl you think I am? You think I'm the kind of girl who'd just open her legs for some white man – any man, for that matter – just 'cause he's handsome and he talks pretty? Is that what you think of me?" She is yelling full-tilt now.

"Uh—"

"You are my brother, Elliot, you know that's not how Mama and Daddy raised us! Even so, I thought you knew me better than that!"

"So you're not pregnant?" he asks, his voice very small.

"I am not even gonna dignify that question with an answer," Lori huffs. "Honestly, Elliot. Is that really what you think of me?"

"No."

"Then why was it the first thing you thought of? Or do you have somethin' to confess yourself?"

"No!" his eyes grow wide. "Toya and me ain't even…" he trails off. "I don't know why it was the first thing that came to mind."

"I thought you liked Rob now." She sits again.

"I do. I just wasn't expectin'… When did this happen?" He's gone from furious to perplexed.

"When did what happen?"

"You and him. You been sneakin' around somewhere?"

"No! I don't know exactly when or exactly how.

It just did. Then the trial ended, and we both realized – separately – that the thought of never seein' each other again was… unacceptable."

"Unacceptable?" Elliot raises his eyebrows.

"Heartbreaking," Lori admits. She looks at her brother. "I love him, Elliot. And he loves me. He wants to marry me. We can't do that here."

"So you're gon' leave me here all alone to go be with Mr. Charlie?" he asks, but he is smiling just a little now.

"You could… come with us. I'm sure people need things fixed and built in Milwaukee."

"Milwaukee? Why Milwaukee?"

"Robhas kin there," she shrugs. "And coloreds and whites can get married there, too."

"Convenient. But no, I ain't gonna come with y'all and be no third wheel."

"I didn't think you would. 'Specially considerin' Latoya's here."

Elliot looks down at his hands.

"I do like her, Elliot. Don't mess it up."

"Lori, this ain't about me and Toya," Elliot says, looking back up at her. "Who's gon' look after me?"

"Elliot," she says, putting her hand over his, "you're a grown man. Time to start actin' like one. You don't need me around to keep an eye on you and make you supper."

"I know," he admits.

"Toya can do that now. If you'll let her."

He smiles finally. "When you leavin'?"

"Saturday."

" This Saturday?"

Lori nods. "I'm gonna need you to send my things after. Marcus will help you. He's got all the information. You won't even need to pay nothin'. Rob's got an account set up with the UPS."

"Oh, Mr. Charlie has money, then?"

"Yes," Lori admits with a heavy sigh. "Turns out he's got money comin' out o' his ears. His Mama left him a big, fat trust fund."

"Oh, so you're marryin' him for his money. I can understand that," Elliot teases.

"Yes, Elliot, I'm marryin' him for money I didn't even know he had until after I'd already decided I was gon' marry him," she says, rolling her eyes at him.

"What am I gon' do with this house?" Elliot asks then.

"Well, it's paid for now. Do whatever you want.

I'm sure you could find someone to rent the apartment once my stuff is out. Or I know you've always thought about convertin' it to a one-family house. Do that. Make it a nice home for you and, oh, maybe Toya. Who knows?"

"I might do that," he muses.

"So we have your blessing?" Lori asks. "I mean, not that I need it, you know I'm gonna do what I want regardless. It'd just be easier knowin' you're not gon' be a… a jive-ass turkey about all this."

"Just… call me when you get to Milwaukee," he says. Lori jumps up and pulls her brother to his feet and hugs him tightly.
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Amenaghwon: 5:58pm On Jul 02, 2017
Nnena, more
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by stephenGee12(m): 9:16pm On Jul 02, 2017
Nnenna welcome back ooo.
Silently following

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by queenitee(f): 12:17am On Jul 04, 2017
EvaJael:
I'll always be here to read no matter how long you take dear
Me too and sorry I went off
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2017
"Hello?" Rob answers after just a couple rings.

"Hey," Lori says. "I told him."

"Well, you're alive, that's good. Do I need to double-lock my doors? Or call Jim and have him send squads past at regular intervals?" he asks.

"No, you're not in danger. He's all right, I think.

Now, anyway."

"Was it bad?"

"He accused me of being pregnant."

Rob pauses. "We may hear that question a lot, Loretta. Just to warn you. I mean, I know that you would never… um… but other people…"

"But my own brother? It hurt."

"I'm sorry, Loretta"

"Thank you. And I did let him have it with both barrels about that, too."

"That's my girl," Rob says, smiling.

"Loretta, is Elliot home tonight?"

"So far," she answers.

"Do you think it'd be all right if I came by and talked to him myself? You know, man to man?

Let him know that my intentions are honorable?"

"Um—"

"Yes, I know he's your younger brother, but he's also the only family you've got left, and…"

" Rob, " Lori interrupts him.

"Hmm?"

"I think he would appreciate the gesture. I'll go down and make sure he stays home."

"Thank you. I'll be over in ten minutes."

"Okay," Lori says, her hand reaching up to check her hair now.

"Oh, and Loretta? I love you."

"I love you, too, Rob," she says, smiling.
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 9:33pm On Jul 07, 2017
"Hello?" Rob answers after just a couple rings.

"Hey," Lori says. "I told him."

"Well, you're alive, that's good. Do I need to double-lock my doors? Or call Jim and have him send squads past at regular intervals?" he asks.

"No, you're not in danger. He's all right, I think.

Now, anyway."

"Was it bad?"

"He accused me of being pregnant."

Rob pauses. "We may hear that question a lot, Loretta. Just to warn you. I mean, I know that you would never… um… but other people…"

"But my own brother? It hurt."

"I'm sorry, Loretta"

"Thank you. And I did let him have it with both barrels about that, too."

"That's my girl," Rob says, smiling.

"Loretta, is Elliot home tonight?"

"So far," she answers.

"Do you think it'd be all right if I came by and talked to him myself? You know, man to man?

Let him know that my intentions are honorable?"

"Um—"

"Yes, I know he's your younger brother, but he's also the only family you've got left, and…"

" Rob, " Lori interrupts him.

"Hmm?"

"I think he would appreciate the gesture. I'll go down and make sure he stays home."

"Thank you. I'll be over in ten minutes."

"Okay," Lori says, her hand reaching up to check her hair now.

"Oh, and Loretta? I love you."

"I love you, too, Rob," she says, smiling.
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2017
It took longer than the promised ten minutes, but Rob eventually came knocking. When she saw the 12-pack of Budweiser in his hand, she knew what had kept him.

"Rob…" she says, shaking her head at him.

"Peace offering," he explains as he walks inside.

Lori is tempted to peek out the door to see if anyone's looking, but decides against it. That would only look more suspicious.

"That might actually work," she says. He leans in to give her a kiss.

"No," she whispers. "I want to, but not now."

"Right," he nods, a little disappointed, but he understands.

"Elliot, Rob's here," Lori says, leading Rob into the living room.

"I figured that when I heard the door," Elliot says. Lori switches the television off.

"I'll leave you two to talk," she says.

"Are you going upstairs?" Elliot asks.

"Yes. So behave yourself, " she says pointedly at Elliot. As she walks out the door, she hears Rob clear his throat.

"Beer?" Rob pulls a bottle from the box and offers it.

Elliot gives him a sideways look, but then takes the bottle. "Thanks." He reaches over to a side table and produces a bottle opener. He opens his bottle and then passes the opener to Rob.

"Thanks."

Both men take long drinks from their bottles, each waiting for the other to speak first.

"So…"

"Um…"

Rob sets his beer down. "Elliot, I love your sister."

Elliot nods. "She told me."

"Well, I do. I know it's not smart and it's not safe and it's not even legal, really, but I do. I want to marry her, and she says she wants to marry me. It would really mean a lot to both of us if you were okay with it."

"You ain't askin' for my blessin'," Elliot says.

"No, I ain't. You and I both know that Loretta's gonna do what she wants to do regardless of what either of us says," Rob says, chuckling. "I'm simply askin' that you accept me as Loretta's choice."

"I love my sister," Elliot says.

"I know. That's why it's important to her that you're okay with all this."

"I do want her to be happy." He takes another long pull from his bottle.

"Elliot, I promise you that I will make her happy.

We ain't foolish enough to think that movin' north's gonna solve all our problems. I can't promise you that other people won't make her unhappy. All I can promise is that I will make her happy and if others upset her, I'll be there to dry her tears or hold her hand or punch someone out, whatever she needs."

Elliot nods again and takes another drink, draining his bottle. He reaches for another. "Can I ask why?"

"Why what?"

"Why her? I mean, I know she's special; she's my big sister. But you're a handsome rich white boy lawyer. You could have any gal you wanted, man, how is it you fell for a poor colored girl?"

Rob ponders his bottle, picking at the label with his fingernails. "I don't see it that way at all," he says finally, finishing his beer and reaching for another.

"You don't?"

"Uh-uh," Ron shakes his head. "The only thing you said that I agree with is that Loretta is special. And that she's your big sister. Just because I could get any gal doesn't mean I want just any gal. Hell, I recently learned that the receptionist at my office has been makin' eyes at me for months. I didn't even notice! And that was goin' on before I even met Loretta."

"She pretty?"

"Yeah, I guess, if you like that type," Rob shrugs.

"What type is that?"

"She looks like one o' them Barbie dolls. And she's almost as smart as one."

Elliot chuckles. "You still ain't answered my question."

"Why do I love Loretta?"

Elliot nods.

"I've never met anyone like her. She's… genuine. Real. Like… you know that she ain't puttin' on a front or bein' who she thinks you want her to be. She's herself, all the time. And she's smart. She's also the strongest person I've ever met."

"Strongest?"

"Well, yeah. The way she still made it through college, graduatin' with honors, even, while takin' care of you and your dad, and right after your mama died? I would have just pulled the blankets over my head and given up."

"You wouldn't have," Elliot says. "But you're right. I don't know how she did it. Me and Daddy… we fell apart when mama died. Lori held us together. And still did good enough in school to keep her scholarship."

"She's also beautiful and kind," Rob says.

"Sings like an angel. And I've heard she's a good cook, too, though I haven't gotten to sample any o' her cookin'. Yet."

"You gon' get fat, Rob," Elliot says, laughing.

"You ain't."

"I grew up on it," Elliot shrugs, as if that explains everything. He puts the second bottle aside, now empty, and reaches for a third.

"All I know is Monday night, when she left, I thought my life was going to end because I didn't know how I'd get to see her again. The very idea of not seein' her again felt like a knife in my heart."

"She said kinda the same thing," Elliot admits.

"Did she?"

"Don't go gettin' all eager lookin' there. But yes, she did."

Rob chuckles and cracks his third bottle.
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2017
Lori looks up from her book, hearing a noise.

Is Rob still here? I don't think I heard him leave.

She slides out of bed, glancing at the clock. 11:33. She looks out the window. Rob's car is still parked outside.

A thump. Male laughter. They're drunk. Rob needs to go home. He can't sleep here. She sighs and pulls some clothes on, just a pair of Capris and a shirt, and heads downstairs.

"Loretta!" Rob's face breaks into a bleary grin when she appears.

"Rob, I think you need to go home," she says, speaking like she is addressing one of her five- year-old students. One of her naughty five-year- old students.

"But we were gon'… what were we gon' do?"

Elliot asks, his face crumpling in confusion.

"We were… oh yeah. I was gon' teach you how to play poker…" Rob slurs.

Shaking her head, she walks over. "You both have to work tomorrow, and I got things to do, too. Elliot," she hoists her brother to his feet and points him towards his bedroom, "go to bed."

"Aw,Lorrie…" he complains, letting her gently push him to his room. Rob is giggling on the sofa behind them. "Put your damn shoes on, Rob," she shoots over her shoulder.

Once she's gotten Elliot onto his bed, she heads back out. "Come on, baby, I'll drive you home," she says softly, lifting Rob by his elbow.

"Baby…" he repeats, grinning. "You called me baby…"

"Yes, I did, now move those feet."

"'Kay."

She moves with purpose, businesslike and proper, bundling him into her car.

"Wait, this ain't my car…"

"No, it's mine," Lori says, starting the engine and pulling out.

"How am I gon' get my car?"

"You should have thought of that before you came to my house with a case o' beer. And mind that hand o' yours don't go no higher," she says, his hand having found her knee as soon as she sat. It's been creeping higher as she drives.

"Oh…" is all he can think to say.

"Maybe Marcus will take pity on you and drive your sorry tail back over here to collect your car tomorrow."

"You could…"

"I could not and you know it. It's enough I'm drivin' you home now."

Rob closes his eyes and leans his head back.

"Elliot likes me again."

"Good. Don't fall asleep."

"'M not sleepin'…"

Lori just sighs. At least he's an affectionate drunk, not a mean one. He's actually kind of silly.

A short time later, she pulls up in front of Rob's building, helps him out of the car and up the steps.

"Key," she holds her hand out.

"'Sin my pocket," he says, grinning at her and angling his hip toward her suggestively.

"All right, then, please take it out of your pocket and I will unlock your door for you," she says calmly, again using her kindergarten-teacher voice.

"No fun at all…" he mutters, shoulders slumping as he digs into his pocket and puts a key ring in her hand. "That one," he points, poking his finger into her palm.

Lori bites back her laughter at him as she unlocks the door and helps him up the stairs, where she unlocks his apartment door.

"Goodnight, Rob," she says, placing the keys on the coffee table.

"You're not goin' to tuck me in?" he asks, pouting.

"Rob, it's midnight. And I shouldn't even be here." Again. She looks around and suddenly notices that he's been busier packing than she has. Of course, he has more things than I do.

"Please? I'll behave…"

"I doubt it," she says, but relents, taking his arm again and heading to a short hallway.

"This way," he points.

She takes him into his room and sets him on his bed after pulling the covers back, pulling his shoes from his feet. "That's all I'm doin'. You can take the rest off yourself or sleep in your clothes."

"Okay," he says, still pouting slightly, but he is falling asleep already.

Lori covers him up and kisses his forehead.

"Goodnight," she whispers to him.

"'Night," he mumbles. "Love you…"
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by queenitee(f): 10:23pm On Jul 07, 2017
*shouting* Yes, yes, yes this is finally going to work. Sis Nnenna, welcome and wehdone ma.

Team #RobandLori
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2017

Post office

Try to find a winter coat (may have to wait till we get there)

Don't forget Mama's dress

Lori is making a list of things she needs to do and/or remember before Saturday, 4:30 a.m.

Her doorbell rings, breaking her train of thought.

"Who could that be at this hour?" she mutters to herself. It's 10:15 in the morning, everyone should be at work.

She opens the door and is faced with a bouquet of roses. "Lorretta Thompson?" the roses ask.

"Yes," she says, taking the bouquet, uncovering the man standing behind them.

"Delivery for you. Have a good day," he nods and trots back down to his truck.

"Thank you…" she calls after him, smelling them.

There is a card attached, but she knows who they're from.

Lori brings them upstairs, smiling to herself.

She frowns a little as she digs out a vase, realizing that she's leaving in a couple days and won't get to enjoy them for very long.

Still, he's very sweet. She opens the card. Sorry for getting drunk with your brother last night.

Love you, R.

"Silly," she mutters, then picks up the phone.

"Carter Law Offices, this is Vivian, may I help you?"

"Hello, Vivian, this is Loretta Thompson. May I speak to Rob, please?"

"Yes, just one moment," Vivian answers, clearly puzzled as to why Lori is calling, since the trial is over.

"Robert Carter."

"Thank you for the flowers," Lori says.

"You are quite welcome, my love."

"It wasn't necessary, though."

"Of course it wasn't. That's the whole point."

Lori giggles at this, and Rob continues.

"I do feel really bad that you had to haul my sorry butt home last night, though. Thank you again. Marc's gonna take me to get my car at lunch. You gonna be home?"

"Probably. Got some things to do, but I might be around," she says evasively. Intentionally evasively.

"Loretta, are you playin' coy with me?" "I might be."

"You are much braver on the phone, I've noticed."

"Phone is safe. No one can see us talkin' like we're a couple of lovesick fools."

"Soon, darlin', soon."

"I know. Rob?"

"Yes?"

"Have you told your father yet?"

He says nothing, and she has her answer.

"Rob…"

"I know."

"You gotta tell him. He's your only family."

"I will."

"When, Friday night? You gonna call him at ten p.m. and say, 'Hey, Pop, just callin' to let you know I'm gonna be gone by the time you get up tomorrow mornin' 'cause I'm elopin' with a colored girl'?"

"Lorestta…"

"Don't 'Loretta' me, Robert. You have got to tell him."

"I know I should."

"But?"

" But I don't want to hear what he's goin' to have to say. He's goin' to try to convince me not to leave."

"You don't know that."

"I'm pretty sure. He's got nothin' against you, Loretta, I want you to know that. He says he likes you. But he just… follows the letter of the law, and the law here says we can't get married."

"That's why we're movin'. He'll understand that."

"I hope so."

"He's your daddy and he loves you. Besides, if he finds out that your uncle knows and you couldn't even tell him… "

"Okay, you're right, you're right. You're always right, darn it. I'll… I'll have dinner with him tonight and tell him then. He'll behave himself in a public place like a restaurant."

"You're overreacting, I'm sure."

"Well, I hope you're right."

"Rob, didn't you say your father moved here from Boston to be with your mama?"

Rob is silent again.

"That's what I thought," Lori says, smirking.

"You'll be fine, baby, just explain how we feel about each other and he'll understand. He may even be happy for you for standing up for your convictions."

"I just feel like I'm abandoning him."

"Did he love your mother?"

"That's a strange question."

"Did he?"
"Yes, very much," Rob admits quietly.

"He'll understand."

"Maybe."

"Well, 'maybe' is better than 'I hope so,' I guess."

"Trying to be positive. Ish."

Lori laughs now. "Try harder. If you think it's going to turn out badly, it will."

"You're right," he sighs.

"Rob?" she asks, suddenly unsure herself now. "Hmm?"

"I'm… I'm sorry. I shouldn't push."

"No, you should. I need you pushin' me."

"You do?"

"Well, yeah. You push me to be a better man, don't you know that?"

"I do?"

"Loretta…" he sighs, chuckling. "You underestimate yourself. Of course you do. I love you, so I want to be the best I can for you."

"Oh. I… I just didn't want you to think I was naggin' already."

He laughs now. "Never.was

"I should let you go. You're at work, and I have to go to the post office."

"If you must. I probably should at least look like I'm doin' somethin'," he says. "Something other than secretly packing, I mean. See you around lunchtime, Loretta."

"If I'm here," she teases.

Rob snorts. "Love you."

"Love you, too. 'Bye, Rob."

1 Like

Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Amenaghwon: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2017
Pls, no one should disturb this love o!
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by queenitee(f): 5:30pm On Jul 08, 2017
Amenaghwon:
Pls, no one should disturb this love o!
No one will, not even Rob's Dad. I won't allow it
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by WHOcarex: 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2017
wink
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by Nnnena(f): 9:16am On Jan 08, 2018
Hello everyone, yea it's me. I know it's like forever I have updated, yea and am sorry about it. It's not really my fault, it's the doctor order. I was diagnosed with MYOPIA sometime last year and the doctor said if am not careful or put much pressure on my eyes it could lead to glaucoma. I don't really have the money to go for the MYOPIA surgery and have not really got the glasses. I just go for the eye drops and the drugs which cost like 3000 per month. I don't think I can continue with the story but I would try and write a new one. Have forgotten about the contents already and where the files are stored has been flashed. Thanks and God bless.
Re: In Search Of Dreams (a Story Of Love And Racism) by queenitee(f): 9:32am On Jan 08, 2018
Nnnena:
Hello everyone, yea it's me. I know it's like forever I have updated, yea and am sorry about it. It's not really my fault, it's the doctor order. I was diagnosed with MYOPIA sometime last year and the doctor said if am not careful or put much pressure on my eyes it could lead to glaucoma. I don't really have the money to go for the MYOPIA surgery and have not really got the glasses. I just go for the eye drops and the drugs which cost like 3000 per month. I don't think I can continue with the story but I would try and write a new one. Have forgotten about the contents already and where the files are stored has been flashed. Thanks and God bless.
It's okay, sha write another interesting one for us and if you are lucky to remember later, please don't hesitate to continue.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Under The Rusty Brown Roof#NLwriters / A Dilation Of Toke Makinwa’s ‘on Becoming’ - Ibukunwrites / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.