Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria (2657 Views)

School Resumption: All University, Secondary, And Polytechnic Students Should Ta / All University And Polytechnic Should Resume / Check Taraba State Polytechnic Admission List 2017/2018 Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:22am On Apr 29, 2017
ARTICLE SOURCE: http://smoothadmission..com.ng/2017/04/how-to-legitimately-increase-your.html

PLEASE NOTE: even if you have already registered for JAMB, you can still change your course and institution – if need be. You will discover how to, inside this article.

Everybody won’t get admission this year. I wish this isn’t true.

But unfortunately, it is.

Last year (2016): 1,589,175 people applied for JAMB. Only 444,969 got admission.

In 2015:1,475,477 people applied. Only 442,643 got.

In 2014: 1,606,753 applied. Only 401,688 got it.

There is a serious competition

How will you win?
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:25am On Apr 29, 2017
ARTICLE SOURCE: http://smoothadmission..com.ng/2017/04/how-to-legitimately-increase-your.html

Are you going to depend on prayers alone? (Almost) everybody believes in prayer and in God.

So if you pray and I pray…. And everybody else prays, then that balances the equation. God is NOT unfair.

Whom will he give? Whom will he leave?

So faith in God isn’t enough. It’s only the basics – the beginning.

In essence, you need a strategy to win and gain admission this year.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:28am On Apr 29, 2017

Most people only know and depend on 2 popular strategies…

1. Brain and
2. Connection

Some even depend on expo.

Brain is good.

Connection is neither good nor bad. It depends. But do what’s best for you.

I don’t support expo. It’s the easier way out but comes with lots of loads and baggage.

If you watch the admission pattern in the past years, you will notice that the ones that get admission are not all the most brilliant. Haven’t you seen a brilliant person who lost admission?

Even connections can fails. Expo too can fail.

So none of these are guarantees. They only increase your chances.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:31am On Apr 29, 2017

In this post, you will discover one secret (but legitimate) way to dramatically increase your chance of getting admission this year.

You see! In a normal situation, the brightest are supposed to get all the admission.

But our situation in Nigeria is NOT normal.

It’s NOT also abnormal. It’s just different.

Understanding those differences will give you power and help you get admission this year.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:46am On Apr 29, 2017

How Nigerian Universities and Polytechnics Give Admission

Nigerian universities and Polytechnics consider a lot of things before giving you admission. For example, your performance, the completion, your state of origin and even your gender.

Private universities and polytechnics will consider only…

Performance

In Private universities and polytechnics, admission is based 100% on merit. The highest score gets the admission.

But government universities and polytechnics will also consider your state of origin. They call it “catchment area”.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 7:02am On Apr 29, 2017

But…

What is catchment area?

I will explain…

You see! Every government university and polytechnic give special consideration to certain states.

For example, if you come from Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Ondo, Ekiti, Oyo or Ilorin, University of Lagos (UNILAG) will give you special consideration. These 7 states are UNILAG’s catchment area.

For state universities and polytechnics, all the local government in the state is their catchment area.

So for Imo State University, for example, all the local government in Imo State is their catchment area.

There are also Federal Universities without catchment area.

These universities give equal consideration to every candidate.

1 Like

Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 7:10am On Apr 29, 2017

Some of these universities are…

- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- The federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU)
- The federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)

Another way your state affects your chances is through what they call…
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 8:07am On Apr 29, 2017

How do Government Universities and Polytechnics give admission?

Most people believe that government universities and polytechnics give admission the way they like.

But they don’t.

1 Like

Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by Beejay1117(m): 8:40am On Apr 29, 2017
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 12:59pm On Apr 29, 2017

They follow a guideline in the Nigerian constitution – the federal character.

Based on that law, they divide their admission slot into 3 categories.

- 45% for merit list. In this category, your state of origin doesn’t matter. You will get admission based purely on your performance. The highest scores get the slots.
- 35% for catchment area
- 20% for educationally less advantaged states

So if for example, UNIBEN has slots for 5,000 candidates this year, they will divide the 5,000 accordingly.

- 2,250 candidate will be admitted on merit
- 1,750 should get admission based on catchment area and
- 1,000 slots will be reserved for candidates from educationally less advantaged states.

2 Likes

Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by enustu: 2:06pm On Apr 29, 2017
I personally think if you not able to get admission in the country you should try applying abroad or something. I wrote the wassce but my results werent that good so i ended up not getting admission to any of the universities i applied to in Naija. i just tried applied to some schools in Russia and got an admission even with a scholarship. I think that the government has made the education system too tight and it really affects many students. Sometimes we need need try getting admission from other countries if its not working for us in Naija and Russia is one of places to study, trust me. so guys let me know what you think

1 Like

Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 3:12pm On Apr 29, 2017
enustu:
I personally think if you not able to get admission in the country you should try applying abroad or something. I wrote the wassce but my results werent that good so i ended up not getting admission to any of the universities i applied to in Naija. i just tried applied to some schools in Russia and got an admission even with a scholarship. I think that the government has made the education system too tight and it really affects many students. Sometimes we need need try getting admission from other countries if its not working for us in Naija and Russia is one of places to study, trust me. so guys let me know what you think

Your submission is on point but in the long run, it will not help the country. How many people who study abroad ever comeback to apply their skill in Nigeria.

While I will advice anybody who can to get good tertiary education anywhere she can - Nigeria or abroad. I think the Nigerian government need to wake up and take education seriously. It's very important.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 29, 2017
OP ride on please!
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by rollybest(m): 6:05pm On Apr 29, 2017
Op don't tell me you have this Nigerian blood of starting and not finishing
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2017

Every school has their preferred statistical formula for ensuring that they follow this guideline.

Some schools, like UNILAG, will note the total number, states of origin and scores of prospective candidates in each department.

Then they will note the available slots.

Next, they use statistical calculations to come up with the cut-off for each state.

Other schools, like FUTO, will release 2 or 3 lists.

First list for merit candidates.Second and third list for both catchment and disadvantaged states.

But…

1 Like

Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 6:48pm On Apr 29, 2017

How does admission through connection work?

Connection can never get you into the merit list.

But it can get you into the list for catchment and educationally less advantaged states.

You see! Every top university staff (the VCs, Deans, HODs e.t.c.) get free slots that they can give to anybody.

Some get 10; some 20; some 5; some even 1.

So if your uncle is a HOD, for example, and has 10 slots; it means he can bring 10 names. And your name could be one of them.

But you must pass the school cut-off.

Also, if the school is NOT your catchment area and you are not from an educationally disadvantaged state, the chances that your uncles connect will get you admission gets lowered. More on this shortly.

Some of these staffs don’t have close relatives to give their slots to. So they sell it.

That’s why somebody can pay N500,000 for admission and get it.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by nonny001(m): 3:45am On Apr 30, 2017
How does connection work for candidates who are not from the school catchment area or from an educationally disadvantaged state?

Remember what I said about NOT coming from a school's catchment area or educationally disadvantaged states and how it affects your connections?

Your chances get lowered… but there is still hope.

You see! Most schools easily fill up their slots for merit and catchment. While many slots for disadvantaged states remain vacant.

No enough qualified candidate.

The school is free to give this slot to anybody – provided they pass the school cut-off.
Re: Little-Known Ways of Getting University and Polytechnic Admission In Nigeria by enustu: 3:12pm On May 06, 2017
nonny001:

Your submission is on point but in the long run, it will not help the country. How many people who study abroad ever comeback to apply their skill in Nigeria.

While I will advice anybody who can to get good tertiary education anywhere she can - Nigeria or abroad. I think the Nigerian government need to wake up and take education seriously. It's very important.

You are right but i can assure you that a large number of those who study abroad come back to apply their skills in the country, but the way the economy is going now it would be difficult for graduates to come back.
If the economy is not helping the individual should help himself or herself. i dont think anyone would sit and wait for the economy to be okay before you develop on yourself.
Education in Russia is one of the best in the world and also very affordable. I believe most Nigerians will be able to afford it. The main aim is gaining admission and developing yourself personally.
It would be very beneficial the country if graduates return back to Naija to apply their newly acquired skills in developing the country.

(1) (Reply)

School Of Health Technology, Benin City (SOTECH) Admission For 2017/2018 / 2017/2018 Post UTME Online Grade Calculator (easily Calculate Your Jamb Grade) / Veil Banned In FUNAAB University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.