Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,492 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:30 AM

How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) (63448 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Throwback Photos Of How Oba Of Lagos Greeted People Before Meeting Ooni Of Ife / Throwback Photos Of How Oba Of Lagos Greeted People Before Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by akigbemaru: 12:17am On Apr 30, 2017
broseme:
See below the way Oba of Lagos greeted others(throwback) and reconcile it with the 'traditional way' he greeted the Oni of Ife.

What do you think?

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/04/throwbacksee-way-oba-of-lagos-greeted.html?m=1
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by ahamonyeka(m): 12:19am On Apr 30, 2017
That's why I twale for omo n oba of benin kingdom.

Oba gha topke... ise!!!
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by richie9093(m): 12:34am On Apr 30, 2017
ziddy:

The Benin lineage fizzled out late in the 18th century with the ascension to the throne of Ologun Kutere through his mother, Erelu Kuti. His father was an Ijesha man.

Akiolu and all the other princes of Eko draw their genealogical roots from the aborigines of Ijesha-land. They have zero genetic connection to Benin, though the original modes of dressing/paraphernalia subsist.

I know this. However it was in the 19th century, not 18th; 1840s to be precise.

I'm beginning to think people misconstrued my original post. My original post was to the Bini people saying Akiolu is answerable to the Oba of Benin rather than the Ooni forgetting that the Oba of Lagos --and the throne-- is Yoruba.
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by mistermoi(m): 1:10am On Apr 30, 2017
Too bad. This baba Akiolu na agba'ya sha. SMH ... lipsrsealed
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by jullty45: 3:14am On Apr 30, 2017
Baale idumota
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by Hammedsuper: 7:31am On Apr 30, 2017
Ave been receiving callu since yesterday lu, i hear say some pple data finishi so dey cudu nt witiness the releasee of JENGBADUN by this fast rising rapper Hardarm J... Download and enjoy Just in case you weren't online yesterday when it dropped.. Download it below JEN GBADUN by HARDARM J
https://www.360nobs.com/2017/04/music- hardarm-j-jen-gbadun-prod-tee-que/
http://www.gisttv.net/nbt-hardarm-j-jen-gbadun- hardarm_j/
Nak am for Google gba gam for more yafun yafun Links... Gmore Hardarm no go killi mi..If I go u go, if i stop you pausu... PR: BLACKDUDE Whatsapp: 07036531317

Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by perryy(m): 7:56am On Apr 30, 2017
Vorpal:

Na wetin Tinubu son take una Oba dey do be this? cry

oba of Lagos has no place in history. That title is a post colonial one and it is weightless in the comity of Obas. The Eleko of Eko was a mere chief to the Oba of Benin. Even as at 1969, no yoruba king used the title-Oba. It was exclusive reserve for the emperor of the Benin empire. Oba in Benin language means emperor. Was Lagos an empire ? where is oba of Lagos coming from?

1 Like

Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 30, 2017
perryy:

oba of Lagos has no place in history. That title is a post colonial one and it is weightless in the comity of Obas. The Eleko of Eko was a mere chief to the Oba of Benin. Even as at 1969, no yoruba king used the title-Oba. It was exclusive reserve for the emperor of the Benin empire. Oba in Benin language means emperor. Was Lagos an empire ? where is oba of Lagos coming from?

I am not a Lagosian ,neither of their royal blood. So questions are best directed at one/them.
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by hollywater: 8:14am On Apr 30, 2017
lonelydora:
When he said something about Igbos drowning in lagoon, everyone cheered him on. Now he has insulted his own brother, and you want us to join you guys to insult him. Well, as for me and my brothers in the spirit, we are just spectators laughing at all the comments
On point bro.

1 Like

Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by samuk: 8:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Video of Oba of Lagos explaining Lagos oba and chiefs greetings in reverence of Oba of benin
https://www.facebook.com/humansofedo/videos/752806704878753/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by inshobabamikolo: 9:20am On Apr 30, 2017
[color=][/color]
Vorpal:

Lol....The truth gets no one in trouble, it guards.

I am not disputing he is a nice man tho.
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by inshobabamikolo: 10:06am On Apr 30, 2017
That retired police man is not the king of Lagos in its entirety as a point of correction. He is the king of Lagos island not even Eti osa, Badagry, Epe, etc. What do you expect of a typical Nigerian policeman?.From all fellers, he is an habitual arogant man, it is not his first time of insulting people that are millions of miles ahead of him considering achievements and importance. How can a small boy because he is the son of Tinubu be playing with the chin of oba of Lagos island. This has shown that he lacks self respect. He has shook hands with lesser people now his defense is this is how they greet in Lagos. Even his countenance in the vedeo depicts he is not happy with the young man as he turned away his face scornfully. What lesson is the monarch teaching. For me he is very inconsistent concerning the philosophy he preaches in his defense that he did not snub the Ooni. Go and xray this man independently in Lagos island concerning his interpersonal relationship, you will not be surprised of his attitude towards the Ooni. It's unfortunate that those that should come out strongly against that show of disgrace on Yoruba tradition has not done enough.
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by monex(m): 11:15am On Apr 30, 2017
Lucasbalo:
There were three finalist for the throne from Akinsemoyin wing of Ologunkutere royal house. The rest is political history. My old man was one of the final three.
Please could you confirm that the Obas of Lagos (especially those from the Ologun Kutere house) prior to Oba Akintoye were buried in Benin.
I see this in many online articles and books. I would like to know if this was fact as I am yet to see any alternative historical account except nairaland comments to the contrary.
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by monex(m): 11:32am On Apr 30, 2017
ziddy:

The Benin lineage fizzled out late in the 18th century with the ascension to the throne of Ologun Kutere through his mother, Erelu Kuti. His father was an Ijesha man.

Akiolu and all the other princes of Eko draw their genealogical roots from the aborigines of Ijesha-land. They have zero genetic connection to Benin, though the original modes of dressing/paraphernalia subsist.
A benin man just confirmed this. Says there was a matriachial ascension somewhere which took out the Benin patri-lineage in the Lagos throne succession.

So Erelu Kuti was benin right?
Re: How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) by Nobody: 12:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
monex:

A benin man just confirmed this. Says there was a matriachial ascension somewhere which took out the Benin patri-lineage in the Lagos throne succession.

So Erelu Kuti was benin right?

Of Benin ancestry, yes.

perryy:

Even less than a chief. The so-called Eleko was a garrison commander without the slightest hint of blue in his veins.

The post morphed into Obaship no thanks to the Portuguese & later the British who traded in slaves via the Lagos settlement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo's Young Wives Pose Together (Photos) / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife During Daughter's Graduation At University Of Manchester

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.