Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? (1872 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Soul And Spirit? / Spirit, Soul and Body: Man's Tripartite Nature Explained with Robot Concept / What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by LordCenturion(m): 5:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
The terms soul and spirit have been discussed at length throughout philosophy, literature, and religion. Even scientists have ventured remarks about the soul. Often, though, soul and spirit are interpreted to mean the same thing and end up being used interchangeably.
This can lead to the question, “Is there a difference between the soul and the spirit, and does it really matter if there is?”
Regardless of what philosophy, literature, religion, or some scientists say, we have to ask ourselves the different between the Soul and the Spirit, because I always think maybe both are still the same,maybe past people were trying to say the same thing and ended up in different names that cause confusion...

Is there anybody in this forum that can educate us better the different between soul and spirit?
If u can differentiate between the two, please share it

Cc. Lalasticlala , Seun , Mynd44 , fynestboi Ishilove
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by tspouse(m): 6:16pm On Apr 30, 2017

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by Ecclesiastes1: 7:07pm On Apr 30, 2017
There's a subtle difference between SOUL & SPIRIT.

Speaking of soul from the Bible point of view, it states that: “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7). Here, we are told that we do not have a soul but we are soul in TOTALITY.

However, there's what is known as the “spirit in man” (Job 32:8, 1 Corinthians 2:11). When tie together, we see that it is only when your spirit is joined with that of God that you can receive inspiration from Him, and He also communicate with you through your spirit. Remember, God is a Spirit (John 4:24).

So simply put, you are soul + spirit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by orisa37: 8:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
The Spirit that moves Life through the Arteries, Bones, Nerves and Veins is The Soul.
The Spirit is the non physical aspects of everything real and abstract..
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 12:02am On May 01, 2017
The difference between your Body Soul and spirit is in their identities

Body: Your Physical Identity ( this is how physical beings recognize you)

Soul: Your Personal/Internal identity ( this is how you recognize yourself) It consists of the faculties of your Will, Emotion and Intellect. That is the part of you you call Me or I

Spirit: Your Spiritual Identity ( this is how spiritual beings recognize you eg. God, Angels, Demons etc

LordCenturion:

I hope you now understand. Man is Trinity. Each identity is fully you and yet different from each other

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by MightySparrow: 2:40am On May 01, 2017
shadeyinka:

Soul: Your Personal/Internal identity ( this is how you recognize yourself) It consists of the faculties of your Will, Emotion and Intellect. That is the part of you you call Me or I

Spirit: Your Spiritual Identity ( this is how spiritual beings recognize you eg. God, Angels, Demons etc

I hope you now understand. Man is Trinity. Each identity is fully you and yet different from each other
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by MightySparrow: 2:41am On May 01, 2017
shadeyinka:

Very correct. This OP should read The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by FellaL: 6:45am On May 01, 2017
All these dichotomies are unnecessary to be honest.

Life is Simple. Life is One. Making complexities out of it is what brings divisions that take away the peace and rest in this life.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 7:06am On May 01, 2017
FellaL:

Life is Simple. Life is One. Making complexities out of it is what brings divisions that take away the peace and rest in this life.

Your post is like saying:
The Wave-Particle duality of matter is too complex so matter should be simply matter!

That would be a myopic way of looking at life. The analysis of shadeyinka can be logically tested with the body and soul for correctness.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by FellaL: 8:10am On May 01, 2017
shadeyinka:

Your post is like saying:
The Wave-Particle duality of matter is too complex so matter should be simply matter!

That would be a myopic way of looking at life. The analysis of shadeyinka can be logically tested with the body and soul for correctness.

LOOOL. It's interesting to quickly conclude my way of seeing something is myopic. Because you do not understand how I see a thing, doesn't translate to mean my singular manner of seeing things is narrow-minded. I think you should first consider that before we further our conversation.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 8:35am On May 01, 2017
FellaL:

LOOOL. It's interesting to quickly conclude my way of seeing something is myopic. Because you do not understand how I see a thing, doesn't translate to mean my singular manner of seeing things is narrow-minded. I think you should first consider that before we further our conversation.

I didn't mean to be offensive, pardon me if I sound such. I meant to say you are oversimplifying that which isn't simple. Nothing more. Calling someone narrow minded is offensive. My apologies.

MKO Abiola is in his grave! That is a true statement isn't it
However, MKO Abiolas Soul/Spirit (that which makes him alive) is not in that Grave. It is somewhere else.

Its impossible to treat living things as if they are inanimate. Don't you think so?
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by FellaL: 8:17pm On May 01, 2017
shadeyinka:

I didn't mean to be offensive, pardon me if I sound such. I meant to say you are oversimplifying that which isn't simple. Nothing more. Calling someone narrow minded is offensive. My apologies.

MKO Abiola is in his grave! That is a true statement isn't it
However, MKO Abiolas Soul/Spirit (that which makes him alive) is not in that Grave. It is somewhere else.

Its impossible to treat living things as if they are inanimate. Don't you think so?

I appreciate you bro. Plus, I do understand your view point and stance. However there's a way to study things from the top down, in other to maintain the top as a reference point, rather than from down to the top, to make the bottom the reference point. If you get what I mean.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by ifenes(m): 9:25pm On May 01, 2017
Spirit is the purest form of US all. It is pure Energy that cannot be corrupted or suppressed. It is what religion call God, our very original form, that which is unborn, eternal, omnipotent, omnipresence etc. Spirit is the highest form of Energy

The soul is the malleable form of Energy,it is the memory bank of an individual that splits into parallel realities, universes, multiverses......or we can say the Soul is that which experiences Karma as a result of it undergoing reborn in order to get rid of the Ego-Self/our false self. The Soul being a higher level of consciousness controls our Emotions,which includes the ability to love.

OP did not ask about body.....which would have been the solidification of the Soul. Basically we can say Spirit(air)= Soul( liquid)= Body( matter)

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 10:17pm On May 01, 2017
FellaL:

I appreciate you bro. Plus, I do understand your view point and stance. However there's a way to study things from the top down, in other to maintain the top as a reference point, rather than from down to the top, to make the bottom the reference point. If you get what I mean.

OK. We are all learning
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by babyfaceafrica: 10:27pm On May 01, 2017
Still don't understand this techicalities...what happens to the spirit and soul when one dies?..can a spirit and soul be transferred to another body?...
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by Ecclesiastes1: 4:27pm On May 02, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Still don't understand this techicalities...

There are no technicalities here. I believed the Bible point of view like I've pointed out above is clear enough for anyone to grasp, except maybe you're not interested in what the Bible says.

babyfaceafrica:

what happens to the spirit and soul when one dies?..can a spirit and soul be transferred to another body?...

Here's a slightly but similar question: “Who knows the spirit of man that goes upward, and the spirit of the beast that goes downward to the earth”? (Ecclesiastes 3:21). Though this is a question, but therein lies the understanding that at death, the spirit of man goes upward. Lets make it clearer: “Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it” (12:7).

When tie together, we see that when one dies, the soul—body, i.e, the abode that housed your spirit, returns to dust from where it came from (remember Genesis 2:7) while your spirit returns to God. See God here as a powerful computer device that receives and stores billions of data, retrievable as at when due.

These returned spirits so received and stored by God will be brought back to life at the resurrection (John 5:28-29, I Corinthians 15) for judgement.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 10:14pm On May 02, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Still don't understand this techicalities...what happens to the spirit and soul when one dies?..can a spirit and soul be transferred to another body?...

First, understand this:

Death just simply means a disconnection of the UNION of the Body with the ( Soul and Spirit.)

A dead person is still alive and conscious and fully aware of himself.

The soul and spirit returns back to THE SOURCE, God for debriefing and judgement.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by babyfaceafrica: 10:36pm On May 02, 2017
shadeyinka:

First, understand this:

Death just simply means a disconnection of the UNION of the Body with the ( Soul and Spirit.)

The soul and spirit returns back to THE SOURCE, God for debriefing and judgement.
I though a dead person knows nothing,how is he conscious and warae of himself?
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by ifenes(m): 10:47pm On May 02, 2017
No God judges anyone. When a person dies he returns back to being a spirit. The spirit is the highest level of Energy. Everything recycles all the time.....
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by Nobody: 3:47am On May 03, 2017
babyfaceafrica:

This transfer of spirits was the basis of many African traditions. They were referred to as the living dead and rituals were done to join them to the living members of the society. Its a demonic practice. But many communities do it. They are expected to posses the new generation that is born after their death after all the covenants and sacrifices that are performed upon their death. They do.

But like I said, its a demonic practice. You'll find it in communities where all relatives of the dead cut their hair or bleed themselves, offer animals on the grave and return after sometime to repeat the rituals. That's why such practices were forbidden in the bible. Such children will acquire habits of the dead and the community will give them names according to who me they'll think has "come back" in them.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 4:32pm On May 03, 2017
True!
Physically, a dead person knows nothing.

But

Spiritually, such a person is fully self aware

babyfaceafrica:
I though a dead person knows nothing,how is he conscious and warae of himself?

Lazarus knew himself
The rich Man was conscious of himself

Moses at the Mount of transfigurations is living.

Moreover, Jesus said "God is not the God of the Dead but of the living"

In Revelations, the souls of those who were beheaded for their testimony of Christ cried out for vengeance...and white robes were given unto them.

Resurrection is simply a reconnection of your Physical bodies with your Soul&Spirit. God made humans to be Physical even though, they could be spiritual beings just like the Angels.

Please answer this question: Angels do not have Physical Brains, how come they have intelligence?
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by DeSepiero(m): 6:06pm On May 03, 2017
shadeyinka:

How can you show to me that I have a spirit.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by babyfaceafrica: 6:10pm On May 03, 2017
shadeyinka:
True!
Physically, a dead person knows nothing.

But

Spiritually, such a person is fully self aware

Lazarus knew himself
The rich Man was conscious of himself

Moses at the Mount of transfigurations is living.

Moreover, Jesus said "God is not the God of the Dead but of the living"

In Revelations, the souls of those who were beheaded for their testimony of Christ cried out for vengeance...and white robes were given unto them.

Resurrection is simply a reconnection of your Physical bodies with your Soul&Spirit. God made humans to be Physical even though, they could be spiritual beings just like the Angels.

Please answer this question: Angels do not have Physical Brains, how come they have intelligence?
I guess thiere creator is intelligent
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 03, 2017
Here to learn***
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by Wilgrea7(m): 7:28pm On May 03, 2017
yes... there is a big difference

your soul is your consciousness... the real you.... your spirit is that breath of life... that drop of God in you... the lifeforce that gives the soul its amazing properties
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 11:05pm On May 03, 2017
DeSepiero:

How can you show to me that I have a spirit.

That is the 'wrongest' question. Its like saying show me the software in a computer.

Is that possible?

When a person dies, at least you can see that a life force departs the person.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 11:08pm On May 03, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
I guess thiere creator is intelligent

Of course God is super intelligent.

The brain is not the source of intelligence. It is just the hardware used by the soul in communicating with the body
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by DeSepiero(m): 3:41pm On May 04, 2017
shadeyinka:

That is the 'wrongest' question. Its like saying show me the software in a computer.

Is that possible?

When a person dies, at least you can see that a life force departs the person.

I don't think it's so wrong.

From your analogy, I can show you the software(s) in a computer. It's possible.

Will you not see and understand when I show you computer soft wares like MS WORD,MOZILLA FIRE FOX, ADOBE READER in a computer?

Will you not also understand when I demonstrate to you how Microsoft Windows differs from MAC and LINUX operating systems?.
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by shadeyinka(m): 3:51pm On May 04, 2017
DeSepiero:

I don't think it's so wrong.

From your analogy, I can show you the software(s) in a computer. It's possible.

Will you not see and understand when I show you computer soft wares like MS WORD,MOZILLA FIRE FOX, ADOBE READER in a computer?

Will you not also understand when I demonstrate to you how Microsoft Windows differs from MAC and LINUX operating systems?.

I couldn't help but laugh at your submission.

How does a code look in a machine?
Is the code Java, C++, HTML (in binary, hexadecimal or pseudocode)

What is its colour, length, weight..?

No one can see a software.

Do you program in any language?
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by DeSepiero(m): 4:07pm On May 04, 2017
shadeyinka:

I couldn't help but laugh at your submission.

How does a code look in a machine?
Is the code Java, C++, HTML (in binary, hexadecimal or pseudocode)

What is its colour, length, weight..?

No one can see a software.

Do you program in any language?

Sorry I don't know how a code looks in a machine but I know how a computer software like MS WORD looks when displayed on a computer screen and I'm sure you do as well.

I seem to understand your point to mean that a software can't be identified 'in an off or un coupled and dismantled computer' (hardware). Then perhaps your analogy was good but not completely good.

So, in essence, do you imply that the spirit in man can't be shown or isn't demonstrable?
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by permit(m): 4:38pm On May 04, 2017
FellaL:

wat cause death to man sir?
Re: What Is The Difference Between The Soul And The Spirit? by permit(m): 4:50pm On May 04, 2017
shadeyinka:

First, understand this:

So bros how can we deal this sentence:4 the dead knows nothing?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? / Tani Jesu Nse - Jesu Ni Eni Ti A Fi Ami Ororo Yan / Saints Community Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.