Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,394 members, 7,815,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others (1117 Views)

American University Of Nigeria Sacks 400 Staff / Aliko Dangote Celebrates Long Serving Employees / MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by Urukpe: 8:40pm On May 01, 2017
In one fell swoop, South African telecoms firm, MTN, on Friday sacked 280 of its employees in Nigeria, in a major job cut that affected about 15% of the company’s entire Nigerian workforce.
Those affected by the move include some 200 permanent employees and about 80 contract staff across various cadres, ranging from new graduates to senior managers, multiple sources told PREMIUM TIMES.
Many of those sacked spent up to 15 years with the company having joined MTN as it opened its business in Nigeria in 2001.
Our sources said affected workers were given a dismal severance of 75% of their gross monthly income multiplied by the number of years with the company.
“Given that the company is about 16 years old in Nigeria, the severance package brought pain and discontent among the affected staff,” one source said.
“With the payoff structure, senior managers with 15 years of service were left with about N15 million. Most of the staff got less than N5 million.”
MTN Nigeria recorded nearly $1 billion in profit in 2016. However, the telecoms firm was heavily fined by the Nigerian government for failing to disconnect 5.2 million unregistered subscribers.
The spokesperson for the company, Funso Aina, could not be reached for comments on Monday.

But a source familiar with the latest downsizing said 200 of those affected had earlier agreed to leave the company voluntarily.
The source said the sackings were as a result of “the changing dynamics of the telecoms industry in recent times”.
The source said the company introduced the voluntary severance scheme, VSS, to provide a window for one week in April, for persons who have served in MTN for five years and above to take up.
Those who decided to leave under the VSS were to be paid the equivalent of their three weeks gross salary for every year they worked with MTN.
“What it means is that if one worked in MTN for five years, one would be paid three weeks of their gross salaries times five,” the source said.
Eventually, all 280 staff were disengaged under the VSS and paid their benefits, the source said.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/230092-mtn-nigeria-sacks-280-long-serving-workers-others.html

Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by MXrep: 8:41pm On May 01, 2017
#whereisbuhari

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by otabuko(m): 8:49pm On May 01, 2017
God! But like seriously that's the essence of starting one's business and not depending on another man's job. After 15 years. Not fair at all.
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by Mophasa(m): 8:49pm On May 01, 2017
More labourers thrown into the already over congested labour market angry

Meanwhile our president is still in ghost mode and incommunicado

I weep for my country cry
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 01, 2017
Na wah o!
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by MeinKampf: 9:16pm On May 01, 2017
Nigerian Breweries quietly sacked over 200 sales executive on 13th April without valid explanation yet no one is talking about it

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by BlowBack: 9:17pm On May 01, 2017
MeinKampf:
Nigerian Breweries quietly sacked over 200 sales executive on 13th April without valid explanation yet no one is talking about it

Hero larger beer is cheaper, tastes better and packs a lot of punch

That's the reason for the sack

3 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by seunlayi(m): 9:25pm On May 01, 2017
Even bisi Akande is now wailing

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by SalamRushdie: 9:27pm On May 01, 2017
MeinKampf:

Why didn't you talk about it then
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by MeinKampf: 11:44pm On May 01, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Why didn't you talk about it then

Too devastated to talk about it.. Just gathering strength. It happened like a movie.. We were invited for a regional end of quarter meeting. Everybody checked in to their hotel rooms, lunch served then people were being called one after the other to sign their disengagement letter.. I don't know how Nigerian Breweries does their own sacking, it doesn't get all the publicity that follows other companies. You hardly hear it in the media
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by MeinKampf: 11:46pm On May 01, 2017
BlowBack:

Hero larger beer is cheaper, tastes better and packs a lot of punch

That's the reason for the sack
NB still have the largest mkt share in Nigeria but it's a fact that Hero and Trophy is giving them a run for their money
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by SalamRushdie: 11:47pm On May 01, 2017
MeinKampf:

Too devastated to talk about it.. Just gathering strength. It happened like a movie.. We were invited for a regional end of quarter meeting. Everybody checked in to their hotel rooms, lunch served then people were being called one after the other to sign their disengagement letter.. I don't know how Nigerian Breweries does their own sacking, it doesn't get all the publicity that follows other companies. You hardly hear it in the media

So sorry to hear , I am sure they must have paid for a media blanket .
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by MeinKampf: 11:53pm On May 01, 2017
SalamRushdie:

So sorry to hear , I am sure they must have paid for a media blanket .
Thanks. . But I wonder how they manage to do it.. Other companies get fried for trying such but you don't get to hear anything about NB
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by obembet(f): 7:34am On May 02, 2017
Too bad, see the reason why everyone must acquire a skill to be self sufficient and also try to invest as much as possible when high on cash instead of buying new cars and clothes to show off and taking random girls on expensive dates
Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by Urukpe: 7:48am On May 02, 2017
mynd44 u are now behaving like APC people, anytime someone make a post be4 me u are quick to closed my post and point me to the earlier one.

However, i notice in more than 6 of my post in recent time, I am d first to post on nairaland and yet u push to front page late post from others.

Check:

mtn sack 280 workers

IPOB gave Fayose honorary governor etc

I use to think nairaland is devoid of normal nigeria wayowayo, guess I am wrong.

Mynd44

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Sacks 280 Long-serving Workers, Others by Sunnyja: 1:34pm On May 02, 2017
Mophasa:
More labourers thrown into the already over congested labour market angry

Meanwhile our president is still in ghost mode and incommunicado

I weep for my country cry
Something bigger than MTN is here. PIUNI TECHNOLOGY.

(1) (Reply)

At Work Today / Can I Still Make It / Recommendation For PMP Training.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.