Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,906 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire (62913 Views)

Rainstorm Destroys Oba Adekunle Oyelude Makama Tegbosun's Palace On Osun / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire / Ooni Disowns Statement From His Palace On Issue With Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Kirinwa: 9:18pm On May 02, 2017
DONSMITH123:
Fear Ooni of Ife. Next time he will learn how to respect Ooni

So Ooni of Ife is now a tout ? Okay o.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by NovusHomo(m): 9:20pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
For the last time, the Oba of Lagos is not a junior to the Ooni of Ife. hey are monarchs of different kingdoms ! Was the king of England superior to the king of France ? All this madness needs to stop.

Oba of Omo Oniles is a paperweight in Yoruba ranking of Obas. Do not confuse the economic power of Lagos with Akiolu's stature. He ranks low; indeed, very low. He should stop mistaking courtesy and respect for ranking.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by NovusHomo(m): 9:22pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Oduduwa is a myth, a character in a religion. You are confusing religion and history. Please go to europe and learn the meaning of history, it seems they don't teach it in nigeria anymore, thank God I studied in europe.

Just like Jesus, Yahweh, even Mohammed.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Angelyna(f): 9:23pm On May 02, 2017
Hmmmm what a lesson... Always respect your elders and be humble always. grin
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 02, 2017
coolestchris:
real power, fvck Christianity
Its quite obvious you are a kid so instead of joining issues with U Chris... I will say I hope someday u get to ask for forgiveness for this statement and others... The so called real power that u refer to is child's play... When you've seen God in action you will marvel ....

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Uzosaint(m): 9:30pm On May 02, 2017
the gods are wise and same time they are not to blame
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
For the last time, the Oba of Lagos is not a junior to the Ooni of Ife. hey are monarchs of different kingdoms ! Was the king of England superior to the king of France ? All this madness needs to stop.

I would like to correct a notion... The Ooni of Ife is way superior to the oba of Lagos... The Ooni of ife is the Oba of the Yoruba tribe one of the descendants of oduduwa like the ALAFIN of oyo and the oba of Benin.. Ile ife is believed to be the birthplace of the Yoruba kingdom. Forget what the European documents read... They can never know the history of a culture more than the people of that culture... So please the oba of Lagos is not recognised by the Queen of England. The throne and crown of the Ooni is recognised worldwide... As the leader of the Yoruba tribe... So the oba of Lagos is not at par with the ooni.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 02, 2017
krispycash:

I would like to correct a notion... The Ooni of Ife is way superior to the oba of Lagos... The Ooni of ife is the Oba of the Yoruba tribe one of the descendants of oduduwa like the ALAFIN of oyo and the oba of Benin.. Ile ife is believed to be the birthplace of the Yoruba kingdom. Forget what the European documents read... They can never know the history of a culture more than the people of that culture... So please the oba of Lagos is not recognised by the Queen of England. The throne and crown of the Ooni is recognised worldwide... As the leader of the Yoruba tribe... So the oba of Lagos is not at par with the ooni.
I think you are reversing roles here. the british crown has lots of documents about the Oba of Lagos, he was a vassal to the british crown for quite some time. And once again, oduduwa is a myth, a character in a religion. No precolonial map records ife as an important entity. And let me tell you an other seceret: yoruba is not a tribe, it is a union of tribes. Even the word yoruba is a recent one and it was meant to discribe only a few among those who now call themselves yorubas. Just go to the gallica website and check the precolonial maps. The only link between the different yoruba tribes is the Benin empire of which the vast majority of them were once citizens. Some igbo tribes were also citizens of the Benin empire.

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 02, 2017
NovusHomo:

Just like Jesus, Yahweh, even Mohammed.
i don't know, I never studied those, but it seems to me that the romans kept documents attesting to Jesus's existence. I think Jesus really existed, but the characters in the old testament are pure fiction and fables.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 02, 2017
NovusHomo:

Oba of Omo Oniles is a paperweight in Yoruba ranking of Obas. Do not confuse the economic power of Lagos with Akiolu's stature. He ranks low; indeed, very low. He should stop mistaking courtesy and respect for ranking.
"Yoruba ranking of Obas". So that is the new "historic" document on which one shall base himself when researching on west african history ? A ranking produced by one single man: the alake of Egbaland. Please be serious, how does it even make sense to rank kings of different independent kingdoms ?

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Deilluminator(m): 10:04pm On May 02, 2017
NLProblemChild:
The person above me should delete his comments .. I want to be the FTC on this matter ..
Don't be selfish. Try harder next time. FTC crew
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 02, 2017
OlaoChi:
Yoruba history and religion is interwoven

That is one of the differences between Africa and Europe hence western education is education based on European ideas

No, history is a science which is based on documents, proof, logics. Religion is the total opposite, it is based on dogma and it encourages blind belief and it discourages skepticism. Confusing history and religion is a dangerous thing and it has led to the creation of different terrorist organisations: the templar knights, zionist terrorists, islamic terrorists and so on...
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by SouthWestBlood(m): 10:10pm On May 02, 2017
FTBOY:
nope! i don't even believe the fire outbreak has got anything to do with the Ooni at all. ..it was purely accident. if there had been no slight misunderstanding between the two monarchs you wouldn't be here blaming the "gods" for being responsible for a common accident. you people should grow above these superstitious beliefs...it's part of african's problems.

Superstitious? But you believe the white Jesus story? Go and sleep!
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 02, 2017
ayenitre:

The best historian of African affairs are Africans. Oduduwa being a myth is a narrative that an European historian will most likely push. If you studied African history in Europe, ask for a refund, because chances are you read a factually incorrect textbooks or you were taught by a fraud. Only Africans can write objectively about African history because we had a life before whitemen built their ships. The first narrative held by most Yorubas is that Oodua is the first king of ile-ife, the alternative narrative is that he's a pantheon actively involved in the creation of the world. I guess you were refering to the later narrative when you claimed he's a myth. The Ooni is always referred to as god or Oorisa irrespective of who held the office. Ooni Adeyeye is an Orisa but that doesn't make him a 'myth' does it?

Don't get me wrong, western education is good as I earned an advanced degree in engineering in a western country myself, but to imply that only whites can write our history is shocking to say the least.
Look, oduduwa is a myth, just like santa claus and mosis and abraham ...
The problem about "only the white being allowed to write our history" is flawed. Our historical records were destroyed during colonization (eg the sack of the Benin palace and the theft and/or destruction of the bronzes which told the history of the empire), but, luckily, earlier we used to trade with our good buddies from europe, those guys wrote down what they saw and even drew maps, those documents are available today. Proof is proof, I don't care where it comes from, so long it is proof.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by seeyouin2019: 10:37pm On May 02, 2017
OlaoChi:

Ife is the source of yorubaland. That alone makes all obas less than the ooni

Lagos is a no mans land. you guys only started claiming it after the Biafra war..
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:39pm On May 02, 2017
Saintmary:

that explains the conflict in information, you studied in europe! So, you will call yourself an expert on yoruba matters just because some university gave you certificate (pali).
My point was that I learnt the meaning of "history" in europe !
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 02, 2017
seeyouin2019:

Lagos is a no mans land. you guys only started claiming it after the Biafra war..
Lagos iis not "noman's land". Lagos was a part of the Benin empire, it was a vassal kingdom to the Oba (of Benin) crown before the british took over
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by FTBOY: 10:46pm On May 02, 2017
SouthWestBlood:

Superstitious? But you believe the white Jesus story? Go and sleep!
Jesus is a spiritual being, far bigger than the deities you worship.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Saintmary(f): 10:47pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
My point was that I learnt the meaning of "history" in europe !
Europe is different from Africa. Next time, do not insult an entire nation by claiming knowledge of her 'history' without doing thorough findings
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Cloud007: 10:48pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
I think you are reversing roles here. the british crown has lots of documents about the Oba of Lagos, he was a vassal to the british crown for quite some time. And once again, oduduwa is a myth, a character in a religion. No precolonial map records ife as an important entity. And let me tell you an other seceret: yoruba is not a tribe, it is a union of tribes. Even the word yoruba is a recent one and it was meant to discribe only a few among those who now call themselves yorubas. Just go to the gallica website and check the precolonial maps. The only link between the different yoruba tribes is the Benin empire of which the vast majority of them were once citizens. Some igbo tribes were also citizens of the Benin empire.
hummm....you are so lost. You can tell those your gibberish to pple dat don't know their origin. Yoruba culture is rich and near 100% accurate. Also u can't separate religion from Yoruba culture. See Oduduwa the first king of ile ife gave birth to okanbi. Okanbi gave birth to seven children. Onipopo of Popo, Onisabe of Sabe, Alara of Ara, Ajero of Ijero, Orangun of Oke-Ila, Owa Obokun Ajibogun of Ijesaland and Oranmiyan.Oranmiyan was the last son and the most adventurous of the members of Oduduwa's dynasty. Oranmiyan was the first Oba of Benin and also the first Alafin of Oyo and the sixth Ooni (King of ife)(where we have Opa Oranmiyan till date)From my simple analogy. You should understand if you want to....dat ife/Ooni existed way long before both oyo and bini kingdom. Either Lagos pple came from ife or bini they still have the same central origin. Which is ife. Oga....I fink you should return ur glorified diploma certificate and sue for a refund. Trust me, you are only making a caricature of your self here. Meanwhile it will be worthwhile if you dedicate your study/story to you own origin. Cos am super sure u are not Yoruba not even worthy to accept the prestige dat comes from a concubine. Ese pupo.

2 Likes

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Saintmary(f): 10:49pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Lagos iis not "noman's land". Lagos was a part of the Benin empire, it was a vassal kingdom to the Oba (of Benin) crown before the british took over
And before the Oba of Benin?
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 02, 2017
Saintmary:

And before the Oba of Benin?
I don't know, the first pre-colonial maps of the region shows Lagos as a vassal to Benin.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Saintmary(f): 10:54pm On May 02, 2017
Cloud007:
hummm....you are so lost. You can tell those your gibberish to pple dat don't know their origin. Yoruba culture is rich and near 100% accurate. Also u can't separate religion from Yoruba culture. See Oduduwa the first king of ile ife gave birth to okanbi. Okanbi gave birth to seven children. Onipopo of Popo, Onisabe of Sabe, Alara of Ara, Ajero of Ijero, Orangun of Oke-Ila, Owa Obokun Ajibogun of Ijesaland and Oranmiyan.Oranmiyan was the last son and the most adventurous of the members of Oduduwa's dynasty. Oranmiyan was the first Oba of Benin and also the first Alafin of Oyo and the sixth Ooni (King of ife)(where we have Opa Oranmiyan till date)From my simple analogy. You should understand if you want to....dat ife/Ooni existed way long before both oyo and bini kingdom. Either Lagos pple came from ife or bini they still have the same central origin. Which is ife. Oga....I fink you should return ur glorified diploma certificate and sue for a refund. Trust me, you are only making a caricature of your self here. Meanwhile it will be worthwhile if you dedicate your study/story to you own origin. Cos am super sure u are not Yoruba not even worthy to accept the prestige dat comes from a concubine. Ese pupo.
Are you giving attention to this person, all he knows about the Yoruba Nation, he got from one University E-Library and Google.

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Saintmary(f): 10:57pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
I don't know, the first pre-colonial map of the region shows Lagos as a vassal to Benin.
What makes you think that the Great Britain has authority over the culture and history of the Yoruba People.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Wapizy(m): 10:57pm On May 02, 2017
coolestchris:
real power, fvck Christianity
ur fada....sangho no reach God
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 10:58pm On May 02, 2017
Saintmary:

Are you giving attention to this person, all he knows about the Yoruba Nation, he got from one University E-Library and Google.
Yeah, "don't discuss with those who do not hold the same opinion as you, no matter how solid their proofs are", that seems to be the african way of thinking. And my friend the Bibliothèque nationale de France is a real library, google it, it is not just an e-library. I spent a lot of time in that library. I wont discuss my credentials, they are out of topic.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 02, 2017
Saintmary:

What makes you think that the Great Britain has authority over the culture and history of the Yoruba People.
Please let us be factual here, these maps were drawn by several european explorers, not just british ones. And the point which you are missing is this: nobody cares about the nationality of the explorers ! What matters is that they drew precised precolonial maps which are like pictures of the past, let us look at those pictures, even if you hate the photographer !
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Saintmary(f): 11:14pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:

Yeah, "don't discuss with those who do not hold the same opinion as you, no matter how solid their proofs are", that seems to be the african way of thinking. And my friend the Bibliothèque nationale de France is a real library, google it, it is not just an e-library. I spent a lot of time in that library. I wont discuss my credentials, they are out of topic.
your findings are the reason you can state what you know, they are the basis of your credentials. Your findings are partial because they are restricted to France as you say. They are not thorough because they are from one source. I must commend you, you are loyal to your european education. Yet, I must point out to you that you have been misled. There is no history without a people, the owner of the history and the culture is the people, no library can change that. I want to drop this matter now, if you are true lover of knowledge you will listen to your reason. Bye.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Lange: 11:18pm On May 02, 2017
Cloud007:

What an attempt by an Oke Ila man to rewrite history. It is now no longer Orangun of Ila, but of Oke Ila. Go back to history books bro. Where is Oke Ila in the map of Nigeria?
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Saintmary(f): 11:18pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:

Please let us be factual here, these maps were drawn by several european explorers, not just british ones. And the point which you are missing is this: nobody cares about the nationality of the explorers ! What matters is that they drew precised precolonial maps which are like pictures of the past, let us look at those pictures, even if you hate the photographer !
ok then, let me reframe the question to suit your mind, What makes you think the whole of Europe and Europeans have authority over the culture of the Yoruba Nation?
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Siscooh: 11:46pm On May 02, 2017
God allowed him to fall into the hands of his own.... Their own brother. Dog chop dog!! He was so.....!
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 02, 2017
Saintmary:

ok then, let me reframe the question to suit your mind, What makes you think the whole of Europe and Europeans have authority over the culture of the Yoruba Nation?
the documents have no nationality, they are inanimated documents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ayiri Emami Kneels Before Olu Of Warri (Photos) / Five(5) Places Where Women Have More Than One Husband / Pictures From Soon To Be Yoruba Village In London!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.