Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire (62962 Views)

Rainstorm Destroys Oba Adekunle Oyelude Makama Tegbosun's Palace On Osun / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire / Ooni Disowns Statement From His Palace On Issue With Oba Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Look, oduduwa is a myth, just like santa claus and mosis and abraham ...
The problem about "only the white being allowed to write our history" is flawed. Our historical records were destroyed during colonization (eg the sack of the Benin palace and the theft and/or destruction of the bronzes which told the history of the empire), but, luckily, earlier we used to trade with our good buddies from europe, those guys wrote down what they saw and even drew maps, those documents are available today. Proof is proof, I don't care where it comes from, so long it is proof.

Spoken like a true Uncle Tom.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 12:08am On May 03, 2017
ayenitre:

Spoken like a true Uncle Tom.
You must be confusing me with your uncle, my model is Uncle Lumumba. Knowledge is power.

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 12:24am On May 03, 2017
history2900:
You must be confusing me with your uncle, my model is Uncle Lumumba. Knowledge is power.

Un·cle Tom
ˌ/əNGkəl ˈtäm/
noun NORTH AMERICAN derogatory
a black slave considered to be excessively obedient or servile to his white master.

Knowledge is indeed power, but not the white man's version of it.

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 12:32am On May 03, 2017
ayenitre:

Un·cle Tom
ˌ/əNGkəl ˈtäm/
noun NORTH AMERICAN derogatory
a black slave considered to be excessively obedient or servile to his white master.

Knowledge is indeed power, but not the white man's version of it.
AN other teenager ! For god's sake ! I guess you didn't understand my statement. Do you even know who Lumumba is ? Science has no tribe, no religion, no ethnicity. When doing research if you lose that neutrality then you might produce a poor work.

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by oladelemary: 1:04am On May 03, 2017
The gods are to be blamed
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 1:25am On May 03, 2017
history2900:

AN other teenager ! For god's sake ! I guess you didn't understand my statement. Do you even know who Lumumba is ? Science has no tribe, no religion, no ethnicity. When doing research if you lose that neutrality then you might produce a poor work.

You tell me, you're the European trained historian on African history. By your own admission, white-men carted away our "historical records", which were largely oral traditions or social memory(1,2) and a few good white traders out of the graciousness of their hearts, gave you some parts of your history that was stolen. Arguing with you can make someone dumber. How's this for a scientific fact: glass beads found at Ile-Ife dated back to the 11th century(1). Real historians believed they may have originated from Sudan or other Middle Eastern countries. This is hard evidence that Ile-Ife was part of the trans-Saharan networks before your white masters from the trans-Atlantic trade routes came to western Nigeria. Now, when your white masters came about 400 years later, they said Ile Ife wasn't important because it wasn't on their f*cking map. Am I right so far?

According to Ref. 1 the history of Africa as we have it now is an interdisciplinary approach that weaves oral traditions(social memory) and their metaphors of verbal representations with documentary sources, mostly European traders' and explorers' accounts; archaeological evidence; art historical interpretations of the aesthetics, meanings, and forms of the Yoruba material culture; and other forms of anthropological interpretation based on Yoruba philosophies and cognitive repertoir.

(1) Ogundiran A., The International Journal of African Historical Studies, Vol. 35, No. 2/3 (2002), 427-457
(2) Johnson O., History of the Yorubas, Lowe & Brydone Ltd, London, 1921.

Edit: It was only recently in the 19th century that history started to become an empirical science based on primary source documentation thereby limiting how historian spin their conjectures. Africans were not viewed favorably by the whites when history wasn't based on accuracy of facts. There are many publications of such prominent among which is Sir Henry Stanley's "Through the dark continent".

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 2:03am On May 03, 2017
It sounds like you have a lot of bitterness in your heart. I am happy that discussing with me is helping you to gradually liberate your venom from your body so that it doesn't kill your soul and mind. I have tried to remain as anonymous as possible but it seems that rather than hearing the messanger, the likes of you would only focus on the identity of the messenger. The proofs which I exposed are precolonial maps made by explorers who were working for european kings and european merchants. Those maps were needed for trading purposes, they were not drawn out of the goodness of anyone's heart, it was pure information which they needed for their trade and/or conquest. The documenst which you are quoting are second hand information, not raw proof. You are quoting people who essentially are claiming to do what I am actually doing. Therefor, you are not at the same level as me. I am actually using my brain while you are quoting other people's brains. I should be discussing with the guys whom you are quoting, not with you. And look I maintain my statement that I don't consider oral history as history at all, I need documents. The discovery of a thousand year old oral bid (if it did happen) would be a very good document, what I don't consider proof however is the statement which followed: "it is believed that they were from..." I don't care about people's opinions, all that matters to me aare proof, raw evidence, no need for all the blabla, just give me raw data. It might be nice if you could controle yourself and stop your very frequent outbursts (unless your "inner venom" threatens to suffocate you). The europeans were never my master and never the masters of my people. My people actually fought a war against the europeans in order to stop colonisation.
ayenitre:

You tell me, you're the European trained historian on African history. By your own admission, white-men carted away our "historical records", which were largely oral traditions or social memory(1,2) and a few good white traders out of the graciousness of their hearts, gave you some parts of your history that was stolen. Arguing with you can make someone dumber. How's this for a scientific fact: glass beads found at Ile-Ife dated back to the 11th century(1). Real historians believed they may have originated from Sudan or other Middle Eastern countries. This is hard evidence that Ile-Ife was part of the trans-Saharan networks before your white masters from the trans-Atlantic trade routes came to western Nigeria. Now, when your white masters came about 400 years later, they said Ile Ife wasn't important because it wasn't on their f*cking map. Am I right so far?

According to Ref. 1 the history of Africa as we have it now is an interdisciplinary approach that weaves oral traditions(social memory) and their metaphors of verbal representations with documentary sources, mostly European traders' and explorers' accounts; archaeological evidence; art historical interpretations of the aesthetics, meanings, and forms of the Yoruba material culture; and other forms of anthropological interpretation based on Yoruba philosophies and cognitive repertoir.

(1) Ogundiran A., The International Journal of African Historical Studies, Vol. 35, No. 2/3 (2002), 427-457
(2) Johnson O., History of the Yorubas, Lowe & Brydone Ltd, London, 1921.

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 2:12am On May 03, 2017
history2900:
It sounds like you have a lot of bitterness in your heart. I am happy that discussing with me is helping you to gradually liberate your venom from your body so that it doesn't kill your soul and mind. I have tried to remain as anonymous as possible but it seems that rather than hearing the messanger, the likes of you would only focus on the identity of the messenger. The proofs which I exposed are precolonial maps made by explorers who were working for european kings and european merchants. Those maps were needed for trading purposes, they were not drawn out of the goodness of anyone's heart, it was pure information which they needed for their trade and/or conquest. The documenst which you are quoting are second hand information, not raw proof. You are quoting people who essentially are claiming to do what I am actually doing. Therefor, you are not at the same level as me. I am actually using my brain while you are quoting other people's brains. I should be discussing with the guys whom you are quoting, not with you. And look I maintain my statement that I don't consider oral history as history at all, I need documents. The discovery of a thousand year old oral bid (if it did happen) would be a very good document, what I don't consider proof however is the statement which followed: "it is believed that they were from..." I don't care about people's opinions, all that matters to me aare proof, raw evidence, no need for all the blabla, just give me raw data. It might be nice if you could controle yourself and stop your very frequent outbursts (unless your "inner venom" threatens to suffocate you). The europeans were never my master and never the masters of my people. My people actually fought a war against the europeans in order to stop colonisation.

I'll pass. I may consider reading this if you put it in a structured paragraph. Many historians i know in the US and Nigeria write well, a refund isn't a bad idea. And oh, what I wouldn't give to be a teenager right now.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by SouthWestBlood(m): 2:13am On May 03, 2017
FTBOY:
Jesus is a spiritual being, far bigger than the deities you worship.

I'm not a deity worshipper. I believe and love God. I just pointed out something you should ponder on.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 2:14am On May 03, 2017
ayenitre:

I'll pass. I may consider reading this if you put it in a structured paragraph. Many historians i know in the US and Nigeria write well, a refund isn't a bad idea. And oh, what I wouldn't give to be a teenager right now.

You are free to pass. As for the refund, I can not give you what I do not owe you.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Aneedi: 2:18am On May 03, 2017
ovokooo:
Here's the video of the palace of the Oba of Lagos on fire as reported earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkeKvZwNJQ

Source: http://ovoko.com.ng/video-fire-guts-palace-oba-oba-lagos/

That fire na small one.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 2:23am On May 03, 2017
ayenitre:

As for you wishing to be a teenager, it really shows and you are halfway there: indeed you already have no control over your outbursts.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 2:41am On May 03, 2017
Just a reminder, the Benin bronzes were in the Oba's palace to record the history of the empire. That was the way Benin was recording its history.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 3:58am On May 03, 2017
history2900:
You are free to pass. As for the refund, I can not give you what I do not owe you.

You don't owe me, but your European university owes you the tuition you paid. Besides, who goes to Europe/N. America to study history these days? There's a saying in US that paying tuition to study history is an expensive way to wait tables in restaurants. Even PhD level graduates had to migrate to other countries to get faculty positions and the few ones who are lucky to get faculty jobs within the US have limited AHA(American Historical Assoc)funding for research.

And this one is here bragging about history pali, when he could've easily grabbed good history books/journals from library to educate himself w/o having to pay tuition in a formal school setting.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by 2016v2017: 4:08am On May 03, 2017
awa:
Let him use lagoon water quench it
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by waterhouse071(m): 4:55am On May 03, 2017
jeffery90:
my guy Na MFM member de send fire for me house? U no get chill oo grin
lol grin
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by ObaOni(m): 8:26am On May 03, 2017
fuckerstard:
Ile oba to jo na

O ma jona again grin
fuckerstard:
Ile oba to jo na

O ma jona again

1 Like

Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by adontcare(f): 9:22am On May 03, 2017
Sango at work
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by OlaoChi: 9:35am On May 03, 2017
history2900:
No, history is a science which is based on documents, proof, logics. Religion is the total opposite, it is based on dogma and it encourages blind belief and it discourages skepticism. Confusing history and religion is a dangerous thing and it has led to the creation of different terrorist organisations: the templar knights, zionist terrorists, islamic terrorists and so on...

Smh. Why are you being a waste of time?

In Yoruba culture, it's history and religion is so interwoven, served together on a platter that people tend to mix religious moral lesson stories with actual historical tales....you won't understand with you knowing nothing about Yoruba culture
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 03, 2017
If you think that a people's history and religion are "interwoven" then you don't understand the meaning of History. You are confusing "history" with "pre-history".
OlaoChi:

Smh. Why are you being a waste of time?

In Yoruba culture, it's history and religion is so interwoven, served together on a platter that people tend to mix religious moral lesson stories with actual historical tales....you won't understand with you knowing nothing about Yoruba culture
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by NovusHomo(m): 7:01pm On May 03, 2017

"Yoruba ranking of Obas". So that is the new "historic" document on which one shall base himself when researching on west african history ? A ranking produced by one single man: the alake of Egbaland. Please be serious, how does it even make sense to rank kings of different independent kingdoms ?

It is not "historic" document but tradition. Besides, what do you call it when it is claimed that the Ooni is the number one ruler in Yorubaland? It used to be the Alaafin of Oyo until the Action Group (AG) deposed Oba Adeyemi (father of the present Alaafin). The leadership was then surreptitiously given to Ooni Adesoji Aderemi.
Re: Video Of The Oba Of Lagos Palace On Fire by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 03, 2017
NovusHomo:

It is not "historic" document but tradition. Besides, what do you call it when it is claimed that the Ooni is the number one ruler in Yorubaland? It used to be the Alaafin of Oyo until the Action Group (AG) deposed Oba Adeyemi (father of the present Alaafin). The leadership was then surreptitiously given to Ooni Adesoji Aderemi.
The Alafin had a small and young kingdom which was being overran by the fulani untill the british came and stopped the fulani, ife was even smaller than oyo. And both were once under the Benin empire. My guess is that they seceeded at some point.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ayiri Emami Kneels Before Olu Of Warri (Photos) / Pictures From Soon To Be Yoruba Village In London!!! / Five(5) Places Where Women Have More Than One Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.