Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,342 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access (18053 Views)

Poll: So whats the Verdict??

MTN: 56% (37 votes)
GLO: 43% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

What Is Wrong With Mtn 3g Internet? / Mtn 3g Billing Fraud - Unacceptable / Mtn 3g Fastlink Cannot Browse Some Website? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by 212blaze(m): 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2010
We all know that the fastest and widest ISPs are MTN and Glo. So its time to determine which is better. Which one do you prefer and why?? please post your state so we'll know the best according to location
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by chidyke77(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2010
Mtn is d worst for me and i hv to switch to starcomm. Imagine getin a download speed of 2kb/s wt mtn, does'nt it sound ridiculous?
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by 212blaze(m): 8:08pm On Jan 07, 2010
Thats useless now. that was wat i was doing on starcomms when i was using one of their lg phones to browse. In What state were you getting such speeds??
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by chidyke77(m): 8:47pm On Jan 07, 2010
Anambra,i wl still try glo to check theirs though my area is nt 3g and i suppose thats d reason of d snail speed am getting.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by otokx(m): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2010
Funny enough i have all 3 connections - MTN, GLO and STARCOMMS. These connections are all location dependent - the fact that its good at my official residence in UNIPORT does not mean it will work well at my office in the same UNIPORT. MTN for now is the best followed by STARCOMMS, it may interest you to note that one cannot open all sites in MTN one of which is www.starcomms.com, GLO is not serious for now in this area but it appears you can access all sites on GLO.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by flyuche(m): 4:01pm On Jan 08, 2010
glo 3G in portharcourt is no better than Starcomms 1x. shocked
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Alveez(m): 10:15am On Jan 09, 2010
both are bed of same feather, heavilly dependent on location. try multilinks evdo you will thank so much but note, am in lagos . dont know of other states. CIAO!!!!!!!!
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Hanoobaba(m): 10:15am On Jan 09, 2010
I hate glo as a network. MTN is so crappy but I won't complain cos na efbeetee I dey use. Even to post my lappy screenshot shame no go let me. Etisalat rocks for my area.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by grade: 10:30am On Jan 09, 2010
Multilinks evdo is the best, mtn is not consistent,starcomms started okay but they have totally lost it, Never used GLO before, Zoom 3g is also okay,but the best still remains Multilinks evdo.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by JUO(m): 10:52am On Jan 09, 2010
Mtn is d worst for me and i hv to switch to starcomm. Imagine getin a download speed of 2kb/s wt mtn, does'nt it sound ridiculous?

you are right man. the max speed in mtn is 4.5kbs, this should be around 12.00am in the night while glo can 6.5kbs on a data sim. i have used mtn, glo, zain, multi-links they are alomst the same thing. i will say glo is the best but mtn is more steady.

these networks have deceived us for years, they claim their down stream is 115kbs, bros how come the speed is always at 1-9kbs? explain
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by OMOB3: 10:56am On Jan 09, 2010
well i agree with the point that it depends on the location. but in my own opinion, i think MTN 3G is manageable.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by sosoraf: 11:01am On Jan 09, 2010
To me visafone is still the best compared to multilinks and starcomms on EVDO platform but considering the download limit is what I can say and on 3g stuff which comprises of MTN GLO ETISALATE ??cos I've not used any of them. BUT 3G and EVDO which one is the BEST?,
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by tonitone1(m): 11:03am On Jan 09, 2010
MTN to me is fraud, i bought their usb fastlink a week before their N8500 promo at the old rate of N12,500, and load with 10k credit for 24 hrs browsing and guess what?, the USB crashed after 2 weeks, i bought another USB pack(since mtn will not replace and i had 2G left) this time for 8.5k.
My experience, with mtn is that the 3G limitation is a FRAUD, because most thime when the network is not available and your time is up you loose all your gygabites!!!, to me that is fraud!, is it my fault for network outage?, i give you an intance!, i preloaded 10K and for more than a week i could download because mtn had network issues, which i confirmed from thier office, but no body compesnsated me for those lost airtome!, i  think ZOOM may be better in air time management.
As for speed, i don't really know what to say since i have not used glo
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Bukittes(f): 11:05am On Jan 09, 2010
I used the Starcoms and probably because of location i.e my office, it wasn't that effective. I switched to MTN night plan and the story is just sad. Its supposed to be a 9pm to 9am thing but it doesn't connect until like 10.30pm sometimes and other times from 12am and then it goes off between 4-5am. I am actually thinking of changing networks again now and i am so scared of even trying because all of them seems to be good at a time and then they all have their flaws. When will this country ever grow into perfection or something at least remotely close to perfection?
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Nuryn1: 11:09am On Jan 09, 2010
Am Using Onet and its very Good I will recomends that you should use Onet if you are within thier Coverage Area in Southwest, thier Charges and Pakage is also fair, I have MTN 3G But Network Interruption Problem is the Main Issue with them.

Try to Get Onet they are also Good
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Bukittes(f): 11:10am On Jan 09, 2010
Yeah @ Toni Tone, I had the same experience and who compensates? They are FRAUDS!!!! MTN is a fraud!!
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by dapomacaulay: 11:13am On Jan 09, 2010
For now Multilinks 3G Blue Broadband is the best.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Sunny659(m): 11:15am On Jan 09, 2010
Cobranet for me, been on their network for almost 3 years now and am truely enjoying their service
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 09, 2010
BOTH MTN AND GLO ARE GOOD

I USE MTN NOW VERY MUCH OK

ONLY WHEN YOU ARE IN A 3G AREA.

For now Multilinks 3G Blue Broadband is the WORSTE.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by jaymdee(m): 11:24am On Jan 09, 2010
Are these dubious telecom companies immune to lawsuits? All we do is cry. Try NITEL.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by jaymdee(m): 11:25am On Jan 09, 2010
Are these dubious telecom companies immune to lawsuits? All we do is cry. Try NITEL.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by CarlosVent(m): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2010
hmmm the telecoms companies are just jokin with us and eating our money.
None of them is good.
haba dats my own view
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Moneyline(m): 12:34pm On Jan 09, 2010
Etisalat is good for me,at moment.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Thespecialone(m): 12:41pm On Jan 09, 2010
IMO, there is n't really much to separate them.none thing alot of users don't realise is that there are various classes of data coverage viz : GPRS, EDGE, 3G, and 3.5G. The coverage available in your area greatly affects your browsing speed. Where I am, there's steady 3G coverage so my browsing speed is fast for MTN that is. Something similar applies to GLo too.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Tcrack(m): 12:46pm On Jan 09, 2010
I have not tried Glo so I dont know about them but If you have not bought MTN usb mordem, no just waste your money. MTN is next to useless.(Am talking from my own exprience though) I would advice anyone to get the new usb modem that works with all networks. I think ist 15k.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by lastpage: 12:48pm On Jan 09, 2010
I want to thank "Jaymdee" for the question he asked.

It is time we Nigerians take responsibility for our actions.
You work hard for your money and one Telecoms company defrauds you of it, WHAT DO YOU DO?

COMPLAIN! LAMENT!! COMPLAIN AND LAMENT MORE!!! angry angry angry

When are we going to transit from that situation of COMPLAINT to the NEXT LEVEL: Taking positive action to seek redress or our Pound of Flesh

I dont know but our docility (l would have used the word "foolishness" but some people might feel insulted) seems to be the bane of most of our problems.

From Poor Governance, treasury looters, lackadaisical government employees, to treasonable Assembly members: We just swallow it and wish God would come down to play our part of the responsibility!

It may be because we are sooooooo selfish, we are even selfish to ourselves (Remember Fela even mentioned it in a song where he crooned that "Army man go slap your face, you go dey look like Monkey: Fela must have been so annoyed to say that grin )

Seems we can never do anything that will benefit others, then it progressed to the stage were we can even do anything that will benefit ourselves!!

For example, read  the post by "toni tone" He was defrauded twice by MTN! And all he did was complain and cough out more money! and he is not the only one, its a general behavior angry angry

Its not an individual battle but each individual must make up his/her mind that l would do whatever it takes to get justice in this land.

With the advent of GSM and Internet, its no longer impossible to associate with people you dont know but share similar values with.
Why cant users band together and "punish themselves" by saying "MTN, if you dont stop this behavior, we will boycott your Network for just one week, ( we would not call nor pick MTN related calls). l know it will cause pain to some users but MTN will feel it more as a result of lost revenue! and if it continues, we will start a campaign of general boycott of your Networks? Just one of many ways to demand what is right.

This is how changes are made through Mass, Class Action.
We dont even need to bomb their office!  wink wink

Everyone takes the Nigerian Masses for granted! WHY??

DONT JUST COMPLAIN, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT PLEASE.

Take the British Airways campaign that happened on Sahara Rptrs and Nigerian Vilage Squr (deliberately mis-spelt to avoid Seun's Spambot!) as an example. At the end, B.A realized that we could actually affect their profit and eventually came out to redress the situation and offer a pitiable re-conciliatory effort. It was small but l tell you, it was a starting point.

Why should we be defrauded on internet services which are almost free in other countries? Why is Nigeria always different?
Even a whiteman with a conscience would come here and become a fraud, aided by fellow Nigerians!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

From Yardua to the National Assembly, from Fraudulent Network providers to PHCN, from Contractors that collect Money and abandon the job to Policemen that collect "illegall #50 taxes" on the road, we've had enough.

Lets talk to ourselves and regroup to TAKE ACTION (not just talk, talk) to save ourselves or else, WE ARE DOOMED FOREVER cry cry cry

Just my own ten cent.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Tcrack(m): 12:51pm On Jan 09, 2010
I have not tried Glo so I dont know about them but If you have not bought MTN usb mordem, no just waste your money. MTN is next to useless.(Am talking from my own exprience though) I would advice anyone to get the new usb modem that works with all networks. I think ist 15k.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Tcrack(m): 12:56pm On Jan 09, 2010
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by hubreality(m): 1:15pm On Jan 09, 2010
They're at their best speed during sales promotions and becomes unstable later. It is sad to pay 10 - 15K monthly for broadband access and get unstable low internet access. Zain is slightly stable with better customer support. Many of us have more than three networks just to stay online. They should stop all these rip-off on the masses.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by Tudor6(f): 1:41pm On Jan 09, 2010
lastpage:

I want to thank "Jaymdee" for the question he asked.

It is time we Nigerians take responsibility for our actions.
You work hard for your money and one Telecoms company defrauds you of it, WHAT DO YOU DO?

COMPLAIN! LAMENT!! COMPLAIN AND LAMENT MORE!!! angry angry angry

When are we going to transit from that situation of COMPLAINT to the NEXT LEVEL: Taking positive action to seek redress or our Pound of Flesh

I dont know but our docility (l would have used the word "foolishness" but some people might feel insulted) seems to be the bane of most of our problems.

From Poor Governance, treasury looters, lackadaisical government employees, to treasonable Assembly members: We just swallow it and wish God would come down to play our part of the responsibility!

It may be because we are sooooooo selfish, we are even selfish to ourselves (Remember Fela even mentioned it in a song where he crooned that "Army man go slap your face, you go dey look like Monkey: Fela must have been so annoyed to say that grin )

Seems we can never do anything that will benefit others, then it progressed to the stage were we can even do anything that will benefit ourselves!!

For example, read  the post by "toni tone" He was defrauded twice by MTN! And all he did was complain and cough out more money! and he is not the only one, its a general behavior angry angry

Its not an individual battle but each individual must make up his/her mind that l would do whatever it takes to get justice in this land.

With the advent of GSM and Internet, its no longer impossible to associate with people you dont know but share similar values with.
Why cant users band together and "punish themselves" by saying "MTN, if you dont stop this behavior, we will boycott your Network for just one week, ( we would not call nor pick MTN related calls). l know it will cause pain to some users but MTN will feel it more as a result of lost revenue! and if it continues, we will start a campaign of general boycott of your Networks? Just one of many ways to demand what is right.

This is how changes are made through Mass, Class Action.
We dont even need to bomb their office!  wink wink

Everyone takes the Nigerian Masses for granted! WHY??

DONT JUST COMPLAIN, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT PLEASE.

Take the British Airways campaign that happened on Sahara Rptrs and Nigerian Vilage Squr (deliberately mis-spelt to avoid Seun's Spambot!) as an example. At the end, B.A realized that we could actually affect their profit and eventually came out to redress the situation and offer a pitiable re-conciliatory effort. It was small but l tell you, it was a starting point.

Why should we be defrauded on internet services which are almost free in other countries? Why is Nigeria always different?
Even a whiteman with a conscience would come here and become a fraud, aided by fellow Nigerians!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

From Yardua to the National Assembly, from Fraudulent Network providers to PHCN, from Contractors that collect Money and abandon the job to Policemen that collect "illegall #50 taxes" on the road, we've had enough.

Lets talk to ourselves and regroup to TAKE ACTION (not just talk, talk) to save ourselves or else, WE ARE DOOMED FOREVER cry cry cry

Just my own ten cent.

We've got MTN and GLO but with talk like this, as far as nigerians are concerned you're on OYO network i.e On Your Own.

Dude no need to be diplomatic, Nigerians are indeed FOOLISH.
They'll settle for mediocrity. . .Look at Nollywood and the shitty things they produce yet you see nigerians bragging about being the third largest industry, . .Me sef don tire.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by 212blaze(m): 1:45pm On Jan 09, 2010
JUO:

you are right man. the max speed in mtn is 4.5kbs, this should be around 12.00am in the night while glo can 6.5kbs on a data sim. i have used mtn, glo, zain, multi-links they are alomst the same thing. i will say glo is the best but mtn is more steady.

these networks have deceived us for years, they claim their down stream is 115kbs, bros how come the speed is always at 1-9kbs? explain

The explanation is that you dont have 3g coverage. My downloads on mtn go up to like 350kb per sec at night and about 70-100 during the day.Whats your location so people around there will know that MTN is a no-no for them.
Re: MTN 3G Vs Glo: For Internet Access by 212blaze(m): 1:53pm On Jan 09, 2010
dapo macaulay:

For now Multilinks 3G Blue Broadband is the best.
ActiveMan:

BOTH MTN AND GLO ARE GOOD

I USE MTN NOW VERY MUCH OK

ONLY WHEN YOU ARE IN A 3G AREA.

For now Multilinks 3G Blue Broadband is the WORSTE.

please the both of you should specify locations cus its funny that some are saying multilinks is the best and some saying its the worst.
For lagos, i think glo is the best if you do heavy downloading and zain if you just like to surf online pages real quick, not like zain cant download sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Turn Your Windows Pc Into A Tethering Hotspot / How To Remove Shortcut Virus From Computer And Drives. / Man Claims Jumia Sold Him A Refurbished Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.