Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,139 members, 7,821,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th (18264 Views)

How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed / How To Run Internet Speed Test With Dos Command (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Akwasi(m): 2:59pm On Mar 16, 2012

According to latest statistics from Ookla’s NetIndex, Ghana has been ranked with the fastest broadband Internet speed in Africa.

Ookla is the global leader in broadband testing and web-based network diagnostic applications. Based on millions of recent test results from Speedtest.net, the NetIndex compares and ranks consumer download speeds around the globe.

From the results, Ghana currently has download speeds of up to 5.14 Mbps, ranking it 73rd in the world. The country is closely followed by Kenya with 4.94 Mbps, Angola with 4.53 Mbps, Rwanda with 3.28 Mbps and Zimbabwe with 2.98 Mbps in that particular order.

Other African countries with the fastest broadband speed include South Africa with 2.98 Mbps, ranked 6th in Africa and 105th in the world; Libya with 2.94 Mbps, ranked 7th in Africa; Morocco with 2.77 Mbps, ranked 8th; Nigeria with 2.30 Mbps, ranked 9th in Africa and 129th in the world; and Tunisia ranked 10th with 2.12 Mbps.

http://techloy.com/2012/03/12/africa-top-broadband-speed/
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Yeske2(m): 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2012
So?

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Pelumiv(m): 7:41pm On Mar 16, 2012
So we go no say na last we dey alwayz dey kari for beta tins n first for d bad 1. Chikena
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by xplode556: 5:52pm On Mar 17, 2012
Im sure NCC is reading. Nig. giant of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by KunleA2(m): 8:27pm On Mar 25, 2012
Ghana is surely making its strides. i was surprised when i visited about 2 yrs ago. The cell phone service is great and MUCH CHEAPER than Nigeria. Not to mention RELIABLE!

I haven't visited lately to test their internet services compared to Nigeria (with extensive use from the US as my background) it will be nice to know the difference.

I am certain that i will be impressed. I remember that we go to cybercafe all day everyday to watch Nigerian movies on youtube without any delay. We pay like 1 Ghana Cedi for like 1hr 30mins.

Power is quite much stable too in the Accra area. While it goes off occasionally, WE DID NOT SPEND THE NIGHT IN DARKNESS FOR THE ENTIRE 2 MONTHS I SPENT THERE. If there is power failure, the maximum is 4hrs and by 6.30pm or 7pm its already back

I am not sure of any cybercafe in Nigeria where you can do that without any issues.

Way to go Ghana. Proud of you

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by EPOMA(m): 6:14pm On Mar 26, 2012
My take on this is well that is good for Ghana but it is the same Ghana that Nigerian mainone is supplying them with bandwidth. I think if we had the same amount of users of internet like Ghana and all test being carried out in Lagos , we could have come ahead of Ghana.
Nigeria have a high bandwidth landing in our shores but the internal infractructure be the issue

5 Likes

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by ismhab(m): 1:56pm On May 18, 2012
i trust jaga-jaga.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by solomon111(m): 1:58pm On May 18, 2012
Kunle-A:
Ghana is surely making its strides. i was surprised when i visited about 2 yrs ago. The cell phone service is great and MUCH CHEAPER than Nigeria. Not to mention RELIABLE!

I haven't visited lately to test their internet services compared to Nigeria (with extensive use from the US as my background) it will be nice to know the difference.

I am certain that i will be impressed. I remember that we go to cybercafe all day everyday to watch Nigerian movies on youtube without any delay. We pay like 1 Ghana Cedi for like 1hr 30mins.

Power is quite much stable too in the Accra area. While it goes off occasionally, WE DID NOT SPEND THE NIGHT IN DARKNESS FOR THE ENTIRE 2 MONTHS I SPENT THERE. If there is power failure, the maximum is 4hrs and by 6.30pm or 7pm its already back

I am not sure of any cybercafe in Nigeria where you can do that without any issues.

RUBBISH!!

2 Likes

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by xanadu333: 1:59pm On May 18, 2012
and we pay the highest for subscription. u see what GEJ has brought to us >:

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by manny4life(m): 2:00pm On May 18, 2012
Imagine the difference, almost 2.5x the speed of Nigeria, undecided undecided undecided

Giant of Africa my foot. Giant ONLY in corruption and nothing else.

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by ak47mann(m): 2:01pm On May 18, 2012
Ghana fisrt Nigeria 9th......... interesting coolnot surprised anyway cool
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by MrGlobe(m): 2:06pm On May 18, 2012
xanadu333: and we pay the highest for subscription. u see what GEJ has brought to us >:
grin grin grin Jonathan don really suffer
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by cyril83(m): 2:08pm On May 18, 2012
Akwasi:
According to latest statistics from Ookla’s NetIndex, Ghana has been ranked with the fastest broadband Internet speed in Africa.

Ookla is the global leader in broadband testing and web-based network diagnostic applications. Based on millions of recent test results from Speedtest.net, the NetIndex compares and ranks consumer download speeds around the globe.

From the results, Ghana currently has download speeds of up to 5.14 Mbps, ranking it 73rd in the world. The country is closely followed by Kenya with 4.94 Mbps, Angola with 4.53 Mbps, Rwanda with 3.28 Mbps and Zimbabwe with 2.98 Mbps in that particular order.

Other African countries with the fastest broadband speed include South Africa with 2.98 Mbps, ranked 6th in Africa and 105th in the world; Libya with 2.94 Mbps, ranked 7th in Africa; Morocco with 2.77 Mbps, ranked 8th; Nigeria with 2.30 Mbps, ranked 9th in Africa and 129th in the world; and Tunisia ranked 10th with 2.12 Mbps.

http://techloy.com/2012/03/12/africa-top-broadband-speed/
Ghana is the truly Giant of Africa
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by BlackBaron: 2:08pm On May 18, 2012
We await the arrival of the 'Egotistic Nigerians' grin grin
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by ogaemma: 2:11pm On May 18, 2012
Am not suprise at this news.When you browse in Accra & Kumasi,you will know that Naija is learning when it comes to internet speed. I hope they improve on this development.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by cyril83(m): 2:12pm On May 18, 2012
solomon111: RUBBISH!!
If u like go die....dats just the gospel truth
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 18, 2012
Mehn, I seriously wish Ghana the best in all.

Sweet nice people. grin kiss The true heart of Africa.

Ghana comes first in everything. . . . even in scamming (jokes) grin

PS: Isn't Ghana's president's daughter married to a Yoruba man?
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 18, 2012
So opon all the satellite wey dem plant for space and the cable wey pass water na 9th position we come eh.

Ok na!
Even Zimbabwe wey dey do everything within their powers to to resist dvelopment pass Naija.

Ok oo

2 Likes

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by sammirano: 2:15pm On May 18, 2012
manny4life: Imagine the difference, almost 2.5x the speed of Nigeria, undecided undecided undecided

Giant of Africa my foot. Giant ONLY in corruption and nothing else.

like say you know.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Fhemmmy: 2:16pm On May 18, 2012
Kunle-A:

In Ghana, there is nothing like "Inner Light" with gun in your face every kilometer you drive . . .
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by zangiff(m): 2:17pm On May 18, 2012
A whole giant of africa with slow network,Naija
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 18, 2012
These statistics from Ookla’s NetIndex is noting but a big crap , I'm of the opinion that they based their statistics on fiction . I have been to more than 16 African countries ( inclusive of all the countries listed herein ), none of them in this list has faster internet speed/connection more than Senegal .

1 Like

Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 18, 2012
OMO IBO: So opon all the satellite wey dem plant for space and the cable wey pass water na 9th position we come eh.

Ok na!
[size=18pt]Even Zimbabwe wey dey do everything within their powers to to resist dvelopment pass Naija.[/size]

Ok oo

grin grin grin grin grin

I expect some NLers to bring up "population" as an excuse.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by jmslimx(m): 2:21pm On May 18, 2012
it all boils down to corruption ... NCC and Telecoms plan work...
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by EPOMA(m): 2:21pm On May 18, 2012
Kunle-A:

Alot of times we just make comments without any dues research, most of the internet in Ghana is provided by Nigerian companies like Mainone,Please put population of internet Users between Nigeria and Ghana to the factor and then we can all start jumping as we are now
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 18, 2012
EPOMA:

Alot of times we just make comments without any dues research, most of the internet in Ghana is provided by Nigerian companies like Mainone,Please put [size=18pt]population [/size]of internet Users between Nigeria and Ghana to the factor and then we can all start jumping as we are now

As expected.

So Nigeria provides Ghana's internet service, yet they're still wayyy ahead. Are you not ashamed of yourself for even bringing this up as an excuse explanation?
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by EPOMA(m): 2:30pm On May 18, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:

As expected.

So Nigeria provides Ghana's internet service, yet they're still wayyy ahead. Are you not ashamed of yourself for even bringing this up as an excuse explanation?
Am not ashame becos all bandwidth are shared, so mtn and mainone drops bandwidth for them before it gets to Nigeria. we have more internet users in Nigeria than Ghana, so doing speedtest and judging with that does not mean they are better, Ghana concentrate in accra for most of its stuff. If it was said that Nigeria are the highest internet user in Nigeria , no one would comment
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by damilola15: 2:32pm On May 18, 2012
Not surprised about Ghana and Kenya, but Zimbabwe. So much for giants of Africa.
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:36pm On May 18, 2012
EPOMA:
Am not ashame becos all bandwidth are shared, so mtn and mainone drops bandwidth for them before it gets to Nigeria. we have more internet users in Nigeria than Ghana, so doing speedtest and judging with that does not mean they are better, Ghana concentrate in accra for most of its stuff

You're speaking relatively of population as if the whole 150m population of Nigeria uses the internet.

What is the population of Ghana's internet users? What is the population of Nigeria's IS? Compare Nigeria and Ghana's economy and determine which one has more advantage on providing better internet services.

"Giant of Africa" with human labor in excess. . . .
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nkonkonsa: 2:42pm On May 18, 2012
EPOMA:

Alot of times we just make comments without any dues research, [size=14pt]most of the internet in Ghana[/size] is provided by Nigerian companies like Mainone,Please put population of internet Users between Nigeria and Ghana to the factor and then we can all start jumping as we are now

Once again Nigerians taking credit were none is due. What is your basis for saying MOST of the internet in Ghana is provided by Nigerians? Are you insane? Why do you assume mainone accounts for most? Is it because it's Nigerian? Any facts to support that assertion? None! Just a mindless arrogrant Nigerian rant if you ask me. Am tired of hearing baseless arguments about how ALL the banks in Ghana our owned by Nigerians, How Nigerians run the Ghanaian economy - when you cannot even run your own.

A couple of Nigerian companies, hardly represents MOST! That Nigerians invest in Ghana is a testament to how Ghanaians have built - on their own, a conducive business environment ion their country - for all - Nigerians, Ghanaians, Lebanese etc.!

stop using one or two successful Nigerians companies in Ghana to stroke your egos. Its getting old! Face it, Ghana is doing something right and you are not! Bad belle!
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by yusufbaba(m): 2:43pm On May 18, 2012
jmslimx: it all boils down to corruption ... NCC and Telecoms plan work...
i agree with u
Re: Internet Speed Rank In Africa; Ghana 1st & Nigeria 9th by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 18, 2012
All these nonsense you idiots spew out here, can you not relate that Nigeria has triple the number of internet users than Ghana ? It all boils down to shared bandwidth morons, allow same number of users in Ghana to use Nigeria infrastructures and the speed will skyrocket.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy Laptop Won't Stop Draining My Data (help!!!!!!) / How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage / SOLD. USA Used Lenovo T420 Core I5 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.