Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,154 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research (9456 Views)

Uniben Best Graduating Student In Surgery Receives New Laptop And 100 Pounds / Emelife Stella Chinelo Receives Medals And Cash Prizes From University Of Mysore / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by eyesoflagostv: 10:58am On May 04, 2017
OAU RECEIVES $2M FOR CANCER RESEARCH
source: http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/05/oau-receives-2m-for-cancer-research.html

The Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, has been awarded the sum of two million dollars ($2m) by the Cancer Research Institute (CRI) in the United States, for research into the treatment of the disease.
This was made known by the head of a visiting team of medical researchers from the (CRI), Dr. Peter Kingham, during a courtesy call on the acting Vice-Chancellor, ProfTony Elujoba, to appreciate the university administration for the backing given to cancer researchers at the College of Health Sciences in the quest to find a permanent yet affordable cure for cancer.
A release by the public relations officer of the university, Abiodun Olarewaju, stated that Dr. Kingham, who expressed elation at the growing relationship between CRI and the OAU Medical College, noted that the synergy actually began in 2010 with a ten (10) year plan which surprisingly was attained within a few years.
He further commended the commitment and dexterity of their colleagues at the Obafemi Awolowo University, saying the team is delighted to be collaborating with very passionate and hardworking professionals who are determined to leave no stone unturned in the initiative to find cure to one of the leading causes of death in the world today.
Welcoming the CRI delegation, the Vice-Chancellor, was thankful to the American institute for the philanthropic gesture, assuring them that the donation would be judiciously utilized.
Professor Elujoba challenged the researchers not relent in their efforts to find a permanent cure for cancer, which has hitherto defied cure, adding that the team should work assiduously toward making people seek help early enough instead of resorting to other means that would compound or worsen their conditions.
While speaking the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, Professor Adesegun Fatusi, said the visit of the CRI delegation to the University is to further cement the research-and-training relationship that was established in 2010 with a view to helping mankind live well and long enough.
He seized the opportunity of the visit to again appreciate the donor, CRI (US), for the confidence reposed in Obafemi Awolowo University Medical College researchers, promising that the funds will be prudently spent.
The medical team from CRI (US) led by Dr. Kingham included: Jesse Joshua Smith; Brooke Sylvester; Peter Ntiamoah; Liz Sutton; Cynthia Thornton; and Paula Garcia.
In a related development, the university administration has commended members of the Ife Ooye OAU Alumni of North America, a group of Ife indigenes who graduated from the Obafemi Awolowo University Medical College, for their medical missions to the Ife Township and the campus community in particular.
The Pro-Chancellor and Chairman, Governing Council, Dr. Yemi Ogunbiyi, who gave this commendation while speaking at a dinner in honour of the visiting alumni group, asserted that the university is proud that the alumni have kept the flag of the university flying as worthy ambassadors.

12 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by hucienda: 11:01am On May 04, 2017
Impressive.

17 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Opeedo(m): 11:01am On May 04, 2017
My professors don hammer cool

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by vesselchino(f): 11:01am On May 04, 2017
today is my birthday show me some love guys

55 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by jtjohn(m): 11:01am On May 04, 2017
Hope they will make judicious use of the money for which is meant for.
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Goldenheart(m): 11:01am On May 04, 2017
I hope it well utilized

1 Like

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by LastSurvivor11: 11:02am On May 04, 2017
Good if it will be utilised like the biblical 5 loaf of bread n 2 fishes not like buhari "assume" returned/recovered loots wey nobody don see where it entered..
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Lilaex: 11:02am On May 04, 2017
Sg
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by oshe11: 11:03am On May 04, 2017
HOPE DEY WONT BUHARI(HIDE) THE MONEY

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by darfay: 11:03am On May 04, 2017
Oba Awon unifersity

15 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Jaabioro(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2017
Title research, if get am dede, if no get am dede all your request will be followed..
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by AlexJ1(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2017
Lovely!

1 Like

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Dopeyomi(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2017
ok

Make dem use am rightly..
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by TRUTH2020: 11:04am On May 04, 2017
Impressive

1 Like

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by muyibaba222(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2017
Good one for Nigerian Universities

3 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Goldenheart(m): 11:05am On May 04, 2017
vesselchino:
today is my birthday show me some love guys

Go Take this one jolly grin

Nkechi is coming with a botu of star "lite"

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by rifasenate11(m): 11:05am On May 04, 2017
Let's see the outcome then

1 Like

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by obanla01(m): 11:06am On May 04, 2017
Owo oooo. Wetin Man no go hear self
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by dammieco(m): 11:06am On May 04, 2017
Impressive hun? Maybe. It will never be a surprise to me if the money is mismanaged. These professors will collect the money and then give the research work to the Masters students to do it. Fantastic right? Well yes. But the problem is these students will spend their money and also be spent on the research without any access to the $2m. At the end of the good work, all glory will go to the professors and worse part of the story is by the time the work is to be published, the names of these students will be found wanting.

7 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by nepapole(m): 11:06am On May 04, 2017
Naso we dey hear...at d end of d day, they will come up with nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Erinz: 11:07am On May 04, 2017
Na so so chop dem go chop am....Nigerians maani no be americans
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Nobody: 11:08am On May 04, 2017
Money that will be spent on frivolities and carry oloshos

1 Like

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by tosyne2much(m): 11:10am On May 04, 2017
This makes sense
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by GeneralOjukwu: 11:11am On May 04, 2017
600 million - official rates.... 800 million - blackmarket.

I gulped a bit seeing that. shocked shocked shocked

But trust whites, there would be in-built checks & balances. They won't just allow you to misappropriate the money.

6 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by Nobody: 11:11am On May 04, 2017
waste, make my word. Na my school, I sabi them wella
Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by ElsonMorali: 11:13am On May 04, 2017
Cancer is nothing but a deficiency of Vitamins B17 which is found in abundance in Apricot seeds.

But that won't bring money to Pharma, would it?

1 Like

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by musicwriter(m): 11:17am On May 04, 2017
This is the kind of initiative anybody who claims to help Africans should engage in. Assist Africa in scientific research and development and we would find the solution to the many problems we face. Only then shall the development they talk about come- development will only come when we begin discovering our problems ourselves, solving our problems by ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: Oau Receives $2m For Cancer Research by oluwamile(m): 11:17am On May 04, 2017
I bet u,professors re going to sit on dat money,

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDA SHORTLISTED NAMES FOR ARMED FORCES SELECTION BOARD FOR THE 65TH RC / UI To Hold ‘PTA’ Meeting Over School Closure- Thecable / University Of Port Harcourt Blacklisted?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.