Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... (873 Views)

Meet The Himba Tribe Who Don’t Take Baths And Offer Free S*x To Guests / The Finger-cutting Tradition Of Indonesia’s Dani Tribe / Alaafin Of Oyo Wears Historic Crown Made Centuries Ago For The First Time.Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... by igben(m): 5:23pm On May 04, 2017
A one Indonesia village, people have discovered that the remain of a dead person are not dead buried but roasted over an open fire and kept as mummies for a long time.

A UK Newspaper reports that the “Dani people from the central highlands of western New Guinea, Indonesia, have been able to preserve their dead for centuries with smoke”.

Though it reports that the technique is no longer in use, a tribe in Wogi – a village close to the regional capital, Wamena – has held on to a number of mummies which it refused to bury.

According to tradition in that region, smoking someone over a fire for weeks, or even months, is the ultimate show of respect for the deceased in Dani culture.

In recent years, this bizarre culture has brought tourists to this isolated part of Indonesia, more than 2,000 miles from the capital, Jakarta.

The UK newspaper reports that “Visitors can also get a glimpse of Dani traditions at Baliem Valley Festival, an annual event with mock battles between tribes.”

news credit:
http://weirdnews247..com.ng/

Re: See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... by soberdrunk(m): 5:30pm On May 04, 2017
So turning me to 'stockfish' when i die is respect? No thank you!! I'd rather let the maggots enjoy me........ angry
Re: See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... by libertyfather(m): 5:34pm On May 04, 2017
soberdrunk:
So turning me to 'stockfish' when i die is respect? No thank you!! I'd rather let the maggots enjoy me........ angry

Me i Prefer stock fish I mean stockhuman being or maybe stockman wharevaaaa! grin
Re: See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... by babyfaceafrica: 5:37pm On May 04, 2017
Nice one
Re: See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... by Jaabioro(m): 5:39pm On May 04, 2017
The Dan tribe, I guess must be black race like Africans.. keeping old folks system..
Re: See The Indonesian Dani Tribe Who Preserve Corpses With Smoke For Centuries... by doctimonyeka(m): 5:52pm On May 04, 2017
Eeeeeeuw.... People dey this life shaaaaaaaaaaa... Ayama....

(1) (Reply)

Wish A Nairalander Merry Christmas / What Would Africa Be Like Today If We Were Never Colonized? / The Egbira People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.