Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,571 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday (8051 Views)

Oil Prices Soar As OPEC+ Prepares To Cut Supplies / Mark Zuckerberg Loses 17. 6bn Plunge To World's Sixth Richest / External Reserves Drop To Three-month Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by Truth234(m): 8:42am On May 05, 2017
chloride6:

Loans go be like 32% be that now.

We don die for this country.

Companies go buy expensive forex come still collect 32% loan.

By the time you factor in 30% company tax, overhead and expenses, company don fold up.

You are right, that was why after reviewing the 140 pages NERGP released by the FG. I was convinced it's a mere dream, there is nothing to it because it's not achievable. Yet, analysts/people are lauding it.

But here we are barely a month later, the main source of revenue has nosedived. Here is a link to that thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3730284/understanding-nigerian-economic-recovery-growth

1 Like

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by Nobody: 8:42am On May 05, 2017
Nukilia:

Lol, who's going to do all that you've listed?

Lol, you got any better ideas?

1 Like

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by GeneralOjukwu: 8:58am On May 05, 2017
PBundles:
Shale is not profitable at these levels. One of the reasons for the Oil crash was that the Saudis flooded the market knowing that at around $48-55 shale cant exist, hence a lot of shale producers went belly up. Hence my theory that I doubt you wont see oil at old prices and will stay within this range. when you take into consideration that the saudis have oils deposits that cost them around $1.5-2 to extract per barrel! Its not the deposits you have that ar really important, but the cost of extraction.

Disagreed with you in the past, but i agree with this...

But Saudis didn't flood the market, what they did was, they brought the price down to levels where Shale oil producers were making minimal profits.
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by musicwriter(m): 9:48am On May 05, 2017
I said it before. Our worst nightmare now that the Naira is gradually recovering is the world Bank and and IMF. I knew it their only resort now would be use their capitalist network to influence Nigerian economy and the other economies they're targeting to control.

"Crude oil price would crash whenever the Naira begins making gain".......... I forecasted this about two years ago. In fact, it becomes clearer to me now, this is a war between the world bank, IMF, and developing economies.

Please keep your "how does the world bank and IMF determine crude oil price? " question. I've done my research.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by iaatmguy(m): 10:04am On May 05, 2017
crackerspub:
The rate US is converting Shale gas will crash oil prices

Alaska/USA still have the largest oil deposits in the world

Their findings are not consistent
And their claims of large oil reserves has reduced by 80%

Price of oil will still drop even at the rate alternative source of energy is been used
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by iaatmguy(m): 10:05am On May 05, 2017
crackerspub:
The rate US is converting Shale gas will crash oil prices

Alaska/USA still have the largest oil deposits in the world

Price of oil will still drop even at the rate alternative source of energy is been used
Their findings are not consistent
And their claims of large oil reserves has reduced by 80%

Price of oil will still drop
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by Iko5000: 10:41am On May 05, 2017
Re vitalize ke , in Europe at the moment they are on track to make sure there are no cars using diesel, after that the war will be on petrol cars . In 20 years time most countries wont need oil products . 20 years will come very very soon . We are living on borrowed time my brother.
KingLennon:
OPEC should work with these oil producing states to see how they can revitalize oil production. If not for our president we will have been exporting more than 2 million barrels per day. So many pipe lines vandalisation in Nigeria is not helping issues
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by Poorboy: 10:59am On May 05, 2017
Franzinni:
The oily curse of nigeria.

The situation is like a house wife who is living comfortable with her husband... But one day a friend introduces her to a male prostitute and she loved the experience... Then she goes home and tells her husband she is not interested in the marriage and quits... And moves in with the male prostitute.... Now even tho she is getting a good banging every now and then.... She can never be at peace because every time his phone rings.. It becomes a nightmare for her...

That is the sticky situation we have put our self in.... All for crude oil..
of all the things in the world is it prostitute you can use as example?
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by PBundles(m): 11:08am On May 05, 2017
I need to count my stars, you agreeing with me for once grin

Seriously though, they did. Its demand and supply. You cant bring down the the price by simply saying it. If Im not mistaken, they increased production and kept in as reserved, which caused the price to fall. I stand to be corrected so if you know of another way,I like to know.

GeneralOjukwu:

Disagreed with you in the past, but i agree with this...

But Saudis didn't flood the market, what they did was, they brought the price down to levels where Shale oil producers were making minimal profits.
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by PBundles(m): 11:23am On May 05, 2017
I may not have been clear, so let me rectify.

I was actually talking on back in 2014 when they started taking out the fracking industry. I was not talking about now. In fact they actually didnt hide it and I quote:

Opec will not cut production even if the price of oil falls to $20 a barrel, the cartel’s de facto leader said, spelling out a dramatic policy shift that will have far-reaching implications for the global energy industry. In an unusually frank interview, Ali al-Naimi, the Saudi oil minister, tore up Opec’s traditional strategy of keeping prices high by limiting oil output and replaced it with a new policy of defending the cartel’s market share at all costs

On the hedging, believe me I have an understanding on this, I do this for a living, I doubt that they are. Why would they? as mentioned they can extract in some fields at 1.5$ to the barrel so what risk would they run. And if they did, would be minimal since what real risk are they running. Now Nigeria on the other hand would have profited from a hedge but thats a different story all together.

On the Trump factor, we still need to see how far that plays. Even his favourable tax polices ( which I dont see getting passed at the levels he is suggesting. If corp tax gets to the 20-25 range, I would see that as a major win compared to current levels) will need to be passed and before they become actionable, we are taking fiscal year 2019 at the very earliest, so dont see that playing into the fracking at this stages.

Truth234:

Saudi didn't flood the market, there was production cut impeding excesses. In fact, Saudi production dropped to 21 months low in February according to OPEC data. Even though, Shale is not profitable at the current price level. They have what is called hedge with commercial banks --that covers their losses for certain years. Previously, we thought Shale won't come on board until prices reach $60/barrel and above but the hedge, Donald Trump negative attitude towards climate change and his favourable tax policy for businesses revamp that sector even at lower prices.

1 Like

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by Proudlyngwa(m): 12:01pm On May 05, 2017
crackerspub:

Nice analysis, like replying smart dudes

You forgot to understand after China that is US that consumes lots of energy. What if they decided to buy only there oil what do you think will happen to the price of oil. They still control the price of oil directly and indirectly.

Nice analysis by the way
the problem is US crude is sour crude, the need Nigerian crude to sweeten it up,
The person you quoted is completely right. We are all television, Saudi and Russia are the remote.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by Truth234(m): 12:02pm On May 05, 2017
PBundles:
I may not have been clear, so let me rectify.

I was actually talking on back in 2014 when they started taking out the fracking industry. I was not talking about now. In fact they actually didnt hide it and I quote:

Opec will not cut production even if the price of oil falls to $20 a barrel, the cartel’s de facto leader said, spelling out a dramatic policy shift that will have far-reaching implications for the global energy industry. In an unusually frank interview, Ali al-Naimi, the Saudi oil minister, tore up Opec’s traditional strategy of keeping prices high by limiting oil output and replaced it with a new policy of defending the cartel’s market share at all costs

On the hedging, believe me I have an understanding on this, I do this for a living, I doubt that they are. Why would they? as mentioned they can extract in some fields at 1.5$ to the barrel so what risk would they run. And if they did, would be minimal since what real risk are they running. Now Nigeria on the other hand would have profited from a hedge but thats a different story all together.

On the Trump factor, we still need to see how far that plays. Even his favourable tax polices ( which I dont see getting passed at the levels he is suggesting. If corp tax gets to the 20-25 range, I would see that as a major win compared to current levels) will need to be passed and before they become actionable, we are taking fiscal year 2019 at the very earliest, so dont see that playing into the fracking at this stages.

Bro what you quoted has no relevance to:

Shale is not profitable at these levels. One of the reasons for the Oil crash was that the Saudis flooded the market knowing that at around $48-55 shale cant exist, hence a lot of shale producers went belly up. Hence my theory that I doubt you wont see oil at old prices and will stay within this range. when you take into consideration that the saudis have oils deposits that cost them around $1.5-2 to extract per barrel! Its not the deposits you have that ar really important, but the cost of extraction.
It didn't state Saudi increase production during the said period.

On hedging, they actually did and still doing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-27/u-s-shale-surge-threatens-opec-strategy

If you think 20-25% will be good, I am glad to inform you that Trump proposed 15% federal tax, its huge and will get passed. The embolden, I am the one quoted in the article.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by PBundles(m): 12:30pm On May 05, 2017
Truth234:

Bro what you quoted has no relevance to:

It actually does but I still dont think you follow, but its fine.

It didn't state Saudi increase production during the said period.

If you read what I mentioned in italics, it states that they were deviating from the strategy of refraining from production, hence increasing production.

On hedging, they actually did and still doing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-27/u-s-shale-surge-threatens-opec-strategy

I must be honest I didnt comb thru it finely, but I didnt see where the stated that he Saudis were hedging their oil bets.

If you think 20-25% will be good, I am glad to inform you that Trump proposed 15% federal tax, its huge and will get passed.

Im fully aware of what he proposed, but he wont get anywhere near there. If he gets anything below 25% as I mentioned, it will be seen as a win. There is not ONE analyst ( if you know, please let us know) and I concur that thinks he will get 15%. Its a negotiation strategy, you go far south, I go far north and we meet somewhere are the equator. Also remember that fiscal tax cuts have been tried before,maybe not this drastic and in short didnt work. The theory doesnt match the practical. He will need to cover the loss of tax to be received somewhere. Having said that he current level is way to high when compared to the EU etc.

The embolden, I am the one quoted in the article.
Dont follow, are your C. Sell or Julian Lee?

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by InvertedHammer: 12:34pm On May 05, 2017
PBundles:

It is more complicated than that. Saudi floods the market with oil, price crashes and shale companies go on idle mode.
But then Saudi, OPEC and oil-dependent economies like Nigeria and Venezuela go into financial crisis. They will be forced to cut production. Price starts going back up again. Guess who shows up again? Shale companies! And the cat and rat race continues.

Trust the power of technology. Shale companies will continue to innovate until their cost of extraction improves. It will probably get to the point where Saudi and others may be left to cook soup with their oil.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by PBundles(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2017
PBundles:

InvertedHammer:

It is more complicated than that. Saudi floods the market with oil, price crashes and shale companies go on idle mode.
But then Saudi, OPEC and oil-dependent economies like Nigeria and Venezuela go into financial crisis. They will be forced to cut production. Price starts going back up again. Guess who shows up again? Shale companies! And the cat and rat race continues.

Trust the power of technology. Shale companies will continue to innovate until their cost of extraction improves. It will probably get to the point where Saudi and others may be left to cook soup with their oil.

I see where you are coming from but I think its a bit more complicated than that. I agree technology as with all new things will get more efficient, but at a certain point you max out. where that will be we dont know. Also the business model of drilling remains the same and demands enormous initial capex, which is the big hurdle. So its not like you can say, Ok it didnt work lets go idle. Capex financing will be there and wont go away. The Ace that the Saudis have is cost of extraction as I mentioned. If you can extract a barrel as low as $1.5 a barrel, no form of tech can beat that. Hence I think these levels are here to stay. When the Saudis see shale companies getting courage, the kill the price to punish them sending a message top those that dare try.

Another thing that ppl arent talking about is the growth of electric cars, buses and even airplanes ( for the future). In most European countries its being pushed and Germany and Holland will actually ban petrol/diesel cars by the turn of 2030, when that happens the price will really go south.
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by ketkelvin(m): 2:50pm On May 05, 2017
Oil Tank farm storage for sale in Lagos and PH nigeria,contact for more inquiries Phone:+234(0)9033826160
ketkelvin806@yahoo.com
Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by InvertedHammer: 6:42pm On May 05, 2017
PBundles:

I see where you are coming from but I think its a bit more complicated than that. I agree technology as with all new things will get more efficient, but at a certain point you max out. where that will be we dont know. Also the business model of drilling remains the same and demands enormous initial capex, which is the big hurdle. So its not like you can say, Ok it didnt work lets go idle. Capex financing will be there and wont go away. The Ace that the Saudis have is cost of extraction as I mentioned. If you can extract a barrel as low as $1.5 a barrel, no form of tech can beat that. Hence I think these levels are here to stay. When the Saudis see shale companies getting courage, the kill the price to punish them sending a message top those that dare try.

Another thing that ppl arent talking about is the growth of electric cars, buses and even airplanes ( for the future). In most European countries its being pushed and Germany and Holland will actually ban petrol/diesel cars by the turn of 2030, when that happens the price will really go south.

Saudi's production cost is $3/barrel. Shale companies production cost $5.85/barrel. (Business Insider, March 26, 2017). Quiet a chunk of the totak cost of production comes from Administrative overhead, Transportation, Capital spending and Gross taxes which pushes total cost for shale corporations to $23/barrel while Saudi (with no taxes levied) stands at $8.98. (Nigeria is $29/barrel). When push comes to shove, US can subsidize oil companies or give them incentives to control costs.
OPEC has been relying on verbal interventions to curb the slide in oil prices. But technology, banks and Hedge funds are there to call their bluff. Don't forget that a lot of people making money in the oil business do not even own a spanner not to talk of drilling rigs. They are speculators who have billions of dollars in equities which is why fluctuations in oil prices tend to be exaggerated.

When everything else fails, there is always the last solution--war.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Prices Plunge To 5-month Low On Thursday by PBundles(m): 7:55pm On May 05, 2017
PBundles:

Another thing that ppl arent talking about is the growth of electric cars, buses and even airplanes (for the future). In most European countries its being pushed and Germany and Holland will actually ban petrol/diesel cars by the turn of 2030, when that happens the price will really go south.

InvertedHammer:

Saudi's production cost is $3/barrel. Shale companies production cost $5.85/barrel. (Business Insider, March 26, 2017). Quiet a chunk of the totak cost of production comes from Administrative overhead, Transportation, Capital spending and Gross taxes which pushes total cost for shale corporations to $23/barrel while Saudi (with no taxes levied) stands at $8.98. (Nigeria is $29/barrel). When push comes to shove, US can subsidize oil companies or give them incentives to control costs.

This is possible but I doubt if this is sustainable. Im not a supporter of subsidies, it forces companies to be inefficient. Having said that there are many ways to accomplish this.

OPEC has been relying on verbal interventions to curb the slide in oil prices. But technology, banks and Hedge funds are there to call their bluff. Don't forget that a lot of people making money in the oil business do not even own a spanner not to talk of drilling rigs. They are speculators who have billions of dollars in equities which is why fluctuations in oil prices tend to be exaggerated.

There is no doubt that market instruments exaggerate matters.

When everything else fails, there is always the last solution--war.

Thats true, and they would have invaded long ago if not for other geopolitical reasons.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Im A Student & I Make Over #200,000 Monthly Selling Popcorn / Ebonybet.com Introduces "Cash Out" In Sports Betting / How Do You Deactivate Paylater Account?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.