Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,351 members, 7,812,001 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too (664 Views)

Endowed Lady Causes Stirs With Her Backside At A Wedding Reception. / Lagos Couple Bring Strippers To Wedding Party, Gift Wads Of Cash To Guests(Pics) / Photographer Blasts Wedding Guest Over His Sitting Position (photo ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too by KAG: 5:29pm On May 05, 2017
This is just to let off some steam. Why do Nigerians do this? Not to stereotype, but you know none of the other nationalities I've invited have done it. I wanted was a small wedding, but somehow it's ballooned. Relatives inviting their colleagues and friends of that friend to what's meant to be a small wedding! It really is poor etiquette. Seriously, it's bad manners. These things take planning, and the thought that there'd be a whole host of people I've never met - nor will ever meet again - coming to this day is galling.

When it comes to someone else's wedding:

- It is not tradition to have an open door policy. It is a choice! A choice that I haven't made. Please don't insist that it's tradition. I can't emphasise that enough. I like to plan and not spend money catering for people about whom I care little.

- There's nothing wrong with responding to an invite. Seriously, it won't hurt you to confirm you're coming. Just showing up on the day without prior confirmation is bad manners and ruins my plans! It borders on stupidity or mental laziness. Not sure which it, but it's a negative.

- Seriously, an invitation that's meant for one person (or sometimes two) is not a blank cheque. Don't think that means you ought to invite all your friends and relatives. They weren't invited by the host, so don't do it. Just don't!

I could go on, but you get the point. I'm frustruated and wishing I had just eloped. Rant over... for now.
Re: Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too by wydmag(m): 5:37pm On May 05, 2017
That's mogbo Moya and Abolode fe'loju

1 Like

Re: Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too by blank(f): 5:43pm On May 05, 2017
KAG:
This is just to let off some steam. Why do Nigerians do this? Not to stereotype, but you know none of the other nationalities I've invited have done it. I wanted was a small wedding, but somehow it's ballooned. Relatives inviting their colleagues and friends of that friend to what's meant to be a small wedding! It really is poor etiquette. Seriously, it's bad manners. These things take planning, and the thought that there'd be a whole host of people I've never met - nor will ever meet again - coming to this day is galling.

When it comes to someone else's wedding:

- It is not tradition to have an open door policy. It is a choice! A choice that I haven't made. Please don't insist that it's tradition. I can't emphasise that enough. I like to plan and not spend money catering for people about whom I care little.

- There's nothing wrong with responding to an invite. Seriously, it won't hurt you to confirm you're coming. Just showing up on the day without prior confirmation is bad manners and ruins my plans! It borders on stupidity or mental laziness. Not sure which it, but it's a negative.

- Seriously, an invitation that's meant for one person (or sometimes two) is not a blank cheque. Don't think that means you ought to invite all your friends and relatives. They weren't invited by the host, so don't do it. Just don't!

I could go on, but you get the point. I'm frustruated and wishing I had just eloped. Rant over... for now.

Next time, when giving out your iv, tell them that they should not invite anyone else as 1 card admits one. And that there will be bouncers.

It's Nigeria, you can't excape it.

1 Like

Re: Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:04pm On May 05, 2017
blank:

Next time, when giving out your iv, tell them that they should not invite anyone else as 1 card admits one. And that there will be bouncers.

Exactly.... Have security present to stop anyone who hasn't got an invite, et voila!
Re: Rant: Nigerians, As A Wedding Guest, Please Don't Invite Your Own Guests Too by KAG: 10:20pm On May 05, 2017
blank:

Yeah, I've got all that. The invitation card states invitation only.Trouble is it's mostly relatives that are doing the invitation of univited randoms. Unfortunately, because it'd upset my family my partner and I have agreed to not use the bouncers to prevent entry. I have used it as a threat, though. I suspect the situation would have been worse if not for that threat.

(1) (Reply)

Event Management Training In Abuja / Are You Planning An Event Soon? / Wow: Checkout How This Nigerian Couple Made Great Entrance To Their Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.